Masters Running

The Wenatchee Marathon RA master's meet up (Read 461 times)

Mariposai

The Wenatchee marathon is my home marathon. This year I decided to run the half instead of the full for various reasons. Leading to this race I had so much "life induced" stress that I had no idea what to expect. To top it all I found myself without a car for this weekend (too long of a story to go here), but anyway, even until 6pm last night I did not know if I would find a ride to the race o r not. Well, miracles due happen and one of my "other" sons volunteered to drive me there (see feeding the "other sons" can pay off). So this morning we were up at 4:00 to get ready to drive the 2 hours to the race. I picked my bib# and soon after that I was found by  rasmussenmp and his beautiful and sweet wife, runnerwife. We later found dievechief.

The sad part of this story is that there was a SRLopez sighting and I NEVER saw him Disapprove

Here is a picture of mike, divechief and myself (sorry that only half of runnerwife was captured, so I cropped it), but I know that mike took a nice picture of the girls.

The course of the marathon is just lovely, yes with up and down rolling hills that becomes more and more noticeable the more miles you run, but lovely scenery and terrain.

Even dough I have ran 16 marathons, this was only my third HM (the way I look at it is why not spend a few extra dollars and run twice as much for my money Joking) I ran this marathon as my first long distance race back in 2006. My time then was 2:19 minutes. So today I new that no matter what do, I would get a HM PR.

My goals today: 

One: run a 1:55, which was shooting for the moon.

Two: finish at 2:00, which was still aiming for the sky,

Three: 2:05, believing that miracles do happen. This would be a nice finish time.

Four: 2:07 finish and then cry as I told runnerwife.

But most importantly, HAVE FUN and PUSH myself (after all that was my prescription for the day Shy)

Well, I won't bore you with the details I finished the race knowing that I gave my all and a little bit more (splits are on my log here. Mile 11 was brutal, a series of short up hills followed by going up to the bridge). But the North Cascades were so showy today that even with the pain I was still smiling having fun.

Finish time: 1:59. A 20 minute PR from my last HM (not sure if that is relevant since I have been running a lot more since my first race).

5th out of 23 in my AG. No bad for my wings. I think the ten pounds I lost since January has helped with this result.

As  you can see, this was not a flat course at all.

The funnest part was seeing my West side friends enjoying our Eastern WA sunshine! I am so spoiled where I live. I got sunshine, I got snow, I got mountains!  I got trails. How can I ask for anything more.

After I finished I waited for Dievechief to finish and I snap this picture of him.

Now it is up to dievechief and russmussenmp to finish the story.

Mariposai

PS: oh twocat, sorry to disappoint you...I did NOT win the race. Approve, but I tried...I promise.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Maniac 505

It's always great to meet old friends. I also have not run a 1/2 in years, but my training over the winter was sadly lacking so I decided the 1/2 was smarter than the full.  I've run the full before so I thought I knew what I was getting into, but it was hillier than I remembered.

Unfortunately, I was unable to connect with anyone Friday night before the race.  I waited too long to try to make connections.   Mike, I will rectify that before the Las Vegas Midnight marathon!

About 2:00 friday afternoon, I headed over the passes for the 2.5 hour drive to Wenatchee.  I  braved all the rain and the snow at the top of the pass (but roads were only wet)

On race day, weather was gorgeous after all the months of rain in Seattle, it was nice to see some sun on the other side of the mountains.  temps might have been slightly warm for a PR, but perfect for jogging.

Mari caught me at what?  mile 6?  I was walking up one of the bigger hills.  She grabbed my arm and made me run.  She was breathing hard.  I could tell she was going for it.  I was finally able to get her to let go of my arm and I could go back to my jogging pace Roll eyes.  Nancy was waiting at the finish taking pictures.   I finished somewhere around 2:08.  I am not unhappy with it,  nor am I happy with it.   it just is what it is.  

the drive home was another sunny one until I got back to the Seattle side of the pass.  Oh well,  back to the rain.

Mike and Sue,  Your turn

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Well, not much to tell in my marathon story (RR).  A race that turned out not to be a race.  My goal lwas to o sub 3:20 and possibly PR with a beyond the star goal of 3:15.  I won't go into the before the race stuff as Nancy covered it.  MY run started 15 minutes after the 1/2 marathon start, so I got to see Ms Butterfly, Mr Diver and Ms Runnerwife off down the road.  My first ten miles went by well, I was working a little harder then I was hopeing to but was averaging 7:30 per mile.  Then I scuffed my right foot on a small raised piece of asphalt.  A few steps later my right calf started to get sore.  I tried slowing down, speeding up, decreasing my stride length and increasing the stride length and stretching, all to no avail.  I stepped off the course at mile 15 (1:53:10), walking the mile and a half back to the start.  My first DNF in 48 marathon starts, though it was the correct choice.  Calf is a little tight this evening but will be ok.

I did see SR on the out and back section early in the run.

Best part of the day was our lunch afterward.  Catching up with friends.  Seeing those wings dancing on the table was a sight to behold.

MIke E and Spare - jury is still out on the Hanson's training plan. 

Sus has "no comment".  Although she did have an ok run (2:20).  Not what she had hoped for.  Her first 7 miles went well then she had some tummy issues. 

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Thanks for the reports!

Mari—congratulations!  I always love reading about your running and the joy you get from it.  That was a great effort with impressive results.  Wonderful pictures, too.

Divechief—I’m jealous of you getting to run with Mari on a beautiful eastern WA day.  Solid race too….and what’s this about a midnight Vegas run?

Mike—aw, so sorry to hear of the DNF, especially given your plans to push on this one and how well you’ve been running recently.  I assume you decided to be cautious and aim for Capital City instead?  We’ll be watching. 

Be safe. Be kind.

Mike E

MM #5615

Oh, man, Mike--really sorry to hear about your race.  I was so close to doing the same thing in my last one, too.  I'm sure your knee hurt, but it's that mental part where you know that you're not going to get your goal--that's what get's me.  Anyway--like Tramps said--you have another one in a month.  We'll hear how the Hanson Plan works after that one.

Maniac 505

Thanks for the reports!

Divechief—….and what’s this about a midnight Vegas run?

Tramps:  I wrote a lengthy race report about this one last year.  I ran it with Dove,  it starts near area 51, about a 2 hour drive north of Las Vegas  You can google the ET Midnight Marathon.  Full Moon,  cool nightime desert temperatures, lots of aliens  (The race ends in the town of Rachel Nevade at the Al'e inn Lodging and transportation is cheap to Vegas.   Mike has already registered for this one.   they offer 10K, 1/2 marathon, Marathon, and 51K Ultra.

anyone else interested?

First congratulations to Mariposai, divechief, and rasmussenmp for lining up at the start!

Mariposai great race and setting a new PR is always a nice bonus!

divechief you have no idea how much I wish I was out there running a HM in nice weather!  Plus you got to meet some of the RAs right before and after the race and that must have been fun too.

rasmussenmp you are 100% right the DNF is better than CNR (can not run) for the next few months.  Good call.  I hope your leg is back to its old self in the next couple of days.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Nice day on the other side of the mountains! Glad you had a little get together , would have been fun to come over as well but I was otherwise occupied in Port Gamble with rain and mud..Smile

So looking forward to a chance to see the local folks here around Seattle for lunch/dinner/running. Where has Tet disappeared to..btw..?

Nancy see you in June for sure  don't think I will run the R&R this year but I'll be around!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks for the sunny photos of your half-mari Mari and a big PR.

You’ll never forget such a powerful run.

Even if the times might get even faster in future halves,

I bet this’ll aways be the best. <<<(Divechief and MikeMp)>>> too.

I never could figure out running a half-mary’s instead of marathons either

but the sunny phictures and happy faces could change my mind too.

I bet not wanting to miss the fun helped MikeMP change his mind too.

However, please give diveschief some of your make-up next time. .

Are you still engineering on the Wenatchee?

What's the legislature doing?

ps - francesca: I’ve got the same plans for the Seattle R’n’R.

In fact, I’m hoping to some training with a divechief lunch on Wednesday.

pps - which Port Gamble did you do, . . . or all three?

[Port Gamble will host a 100 M, 100 K, and 50 M run]

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Thanks for the sunny photos of your half-mari Mari and a big PR.

You’ll never forget such a powerful run.

Even if the times might get even faster in future halves,

I bet this’ll aways be the best. <<<(Divechief and MikeMp)>>> too.

I never could figure out running a half-mary’s instead of marathons either

but the sunny phictures and happy faces could change my mind too.

I bet not wanting to miss the fun helped MikeMP change his mind too.

pps - which Port Gamble did you do, . . . or all three?

[Port Gamble will host a 100 M, 100 K, and 50 M run]

Lunch this Wed? I think I could come down to Seattle if so.

Only did 50 it was a very muddy mess....took me longer than for White River......

Maniac 505

What are the Congress Critters doing?  who knows.  Probably find out soon.

of course for the critters, long term planning means 2 years.

Still on the WSF Wenatchee?  Yep, we will soon see for how much longer.   Conoco tankers are hiring,  Alaska state ferries is hiring,  I have to take a one week class for Haz Mat to work for Marsk.  Many other options while I see if Washington State Ferries decides to continue the downward spiral.

but, Lunch on Wednesday?  I had Tuesday on my Calendar.  Wednesday will not work for me.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

dave -

thanks for Tuesday clarification.

Hope francesca can come down then too.

We could take her to Sushikyou right up the street.

Before her running days, Furanchesuka used to live in Tokyo.

ps - who's Ted, What's an inner warrior?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

dave -

thanks for Tuesday clarification.

Hope francesca can come down then too.

We could take her to Sushikyou right up the street.

Before her running days, Furanchesuka used to live in Tokyo.

I think I should be able to make it on Tue. email me the details Jon, please.

Maniac 505

dave -

glad Tuesday still works for you,  If you want an alternate venue, (or if something else works better for you or Francisco)  let me know.  I am wide open Tueseay.

(and I have Mari's Bourbon chicken in the oven right now,  The Posi should also be a professional chef

And RE: the inner Warrior thing.  You have to ask Mari, but she is now a Professional runner!!!

Maniac 505

And since Tet asked, and it should be said,  Ted that was on all the Wenatchee marathon bibs was as I understand, the race co-founder and race director for many yearsl  He died of cancer a few months ago.  Hopefully the race will go on in his honer for MANY years.

Dave