Masters Running

TGIF - November 4 (Read 490 times)

Dave59

It's NYC Marathon weekend.  How many of you have done that event?  I got in once 15 years ago or so but backed out because I messed up my knee when I was training for it.

Good luck to our weekend racers:

11/05 wildchild - Loveland half marathon, Loveland CO

11/05 biketm - Indianapolis Monumental marathon

11/05 jdmom3 -  Run for Breath 5k

11/05 tetsujin – In Unity We Run NYC Sister Marathon (Seattle) – barefoot

11/05 pfriese - Race with the Stars 5K OCU, Oklahoma City, OK

11/06 Ileneforward - Santa Clarita half marathon, SC CA

11/06 CNYrunner - Dan Barry Memorial 5 miler,  Hatfield, MA

11/06 henrun - Ralph Lord Memorial 5K, Lexington,Ma

11/06 Marj - Ralph Lord Memorial 5K, Lexington,Ma

(I put the wrong weekend up but I think I got it fixed before anyone had to correct me,)

Everything was good at the doctor yesterday (routine physical).  I still have the blood tests and the "you-know-what" test to do.  Looks like I'll have my first PSA test.  I heard a lot of negative about that in the news but decided to go with the doctor's recommendation to go ahead with it.

His educated guess on my calf problem is a micro-tear where my calf connects at the bottom (to whatever it is it connects to.)  He said to take a week off and try it again.  He has moved up from running to triathlons.  We were talking about that when there was a knock on the door telling him he had to hustle out for a baby delivery. 

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good Morning DAve and all that follow.  I was in LA with DW for Parent's weekend last Wednesday until Monday and have alsmost caught up with reading the dailies.  Remembering them is quite a different story.  Guess I'll be sort of starting fresh Embarrassed

Some pretty decent runs for me this week.  We missed the big storm (although there are still a couple of big branches leaning on the house that I will need some daylight to work on), but got out for a nice run on wednesdy in 30° in shorts (I thought of Tramps) that was my fastest of the year.  only 3.1 but finally broke 8's.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I ran NYC in 2007 and had a wonderful time.  It is really a very special event.  In fact, in honor of this weekend's NYC runners, I'm wearing a NYC Marathon Polo shirt today that says "NYC Marathon.  I finished what I started".

I slept in today, rather than get up and run.  Tired out from a "fun-filled" week at work.  Things crashing all around.  I'll get up tomorrow and run 10 miles or so.  If that goes well, as I expect it to, I'll consider my recent aches and pains a thing of the past and restart training.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Thanks for the start, Dave. MrOM is running NYC, his first. I would've liked to train for it with him, but alas my health issues got in the way this year. As it is, I don't think I would've been able to keep up, since he's proved to be a much faster runner than me (as if that's such an accomplishment, ha!). His bib number is 47102 if anyone's interested in tracking him. And so yes, there are over 47,000 runners, unfathomable.

Another day off from running for me today, since I'm in pseudo-taper for my 18-miler tomorrow.

Hope that calf issue works itself out, Dave.

Best of luck to all the racers this weekend!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I think it'd be very kewl to run the NYC marathon.   Love your choice of shirt today Byll.    I hope all goes well with your 10 miler tomorrow.

Thanks for starting us off Dave .... I hope the calf heals itself this week.

Welcome back Stumpy!   Nice 8's!!

Good luck MrOM!!      Good luck on your 18 miler tomorrow too OM.

Brinkley had a bad night, so I had a bad night .... i.e. not much sleep.   So I am a bit on the crabby side today.   I could so easily lay my head down on my desk to take a nap, but that might be frowned upon.

Here you go Holly!   Their eyes are opening now, but the only picture I had to prove it is kind of dark.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Henrun

Good luck in healing Dave.

I ran NYC in 1999 and it was a special event for me. It was shortly after I met Marj and she and her brother and SIL (who live in Brooklyn) watched me and my DS (who was living in Queens at the time ) and his then girl friend also saw me. It ranks right up there as one of my favorite marathons.

Ran 9 miles yesterday on a beautiful New England morning and will try to swim today.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody.  Good luck to all who are racing or have important runs to do this weekend!

Well...since I'm boarding a plane at 9:45 pm, tonight, this may be the last day I spend with you all.  Since I don't have a whole lot of friends in the real world, I have appreciated this time getting to know you all.  I wish I had things to leave you.  Mary--I have a couple of lawn chairs you can have for your beautiful patio.  I wear a 7 1/2 running shoe so, maybe, the women can split them all up between themselves...they're in the front entry closet...and in some boxes along the wall of the garage...they only have about 400 miles on each of them, so you could probably get a few more out of them.  Let's see...oh, Dave--you can have my computer--it's a couple years old--but it's pretty good.  If you delete all my pictures I have stored on it, I'm sure it will run a lot faster.  Slo--you can have my bikes--they're hanging on hooks in the garage...they have about as many miles on them as a pair of shoes.  Oh, I don't know what else I have that any of you would want...just come on over and take what you can get.  But you'd better hurry--the vultures in my DW's family will be there before the plane hits the ground! 

OrangeMat

MM #6177

MikeE, please don't joke, OK? You'll be fine. Just breathe... {{{MikeE}}}

Dave59

MikeE - You'll be fine.  And I am one to understand irrational fears.  I about passed out at the doctor's office yesterday when the nurse asked me if I was getting a flu shot.  When I go for my blood tests (and I hope I go through with it) I will ask for the big chair with arms so I don't fall out. 

I used to love to fly but now I get a little claustrophobic if I'm not in a aisle seat.  Not sure where that fear came from because I used to love the window seat.

Tramps

Mike, breathe.  The odds are in your favor.  I, on the other hand, have to drive today.  Scary.

Cause of Death Lifetime Odds

Heart Disease

1-in-5

Cancer

1-in-7

Stroke

1-in-23

Accidental Injury

1-in-36

Motor Vehicle Accident*

1-in-100

Intentional Self-harm (suicide)

1-in-121

Falling Down

1-in-246

Assault by Firearm

1-in-325

Fire or Smoke

1-in-1,116

Natural Forces (heat, cold, storms, quakes, etc.)

1-in-3,357

Electrocution*

1-in-5,000

Drowning

1-in-8,942

Air Travel Accident*

1-in-20,000

Flood* (included also in Natural Forces above)

1-in-30,000

Legal Execution

1-in-58,618

Tornado* (included also in Natural Forces above)

1-in-60,000

Lightning Strike (included also in Natural Forces above)

1-in-83,930

Snake, Bee or other Venomous Bite or Sting*

1-in-100,000

Earthquake (included also in Natural Forces above)

1-in-131,890

Dog Attack

1-in-147,717

Asteroid Impact*

1-in-200,000**

Tsunami* 1-in-500,000

Fireworks Discharge

1-in-615,488

** Perhaps 1-in-500,000

SOURCES: National Center for Health Statistics, CDC; American Cancer Society; National Safety Council; International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies; World Health Organization; USGS; Clark Chapman, SwRI; David Morrison, NASA; Michael Paine, Planetary Society Australian Volunteers

The more specific figures are based on 2001. Other odds, indicated with an asterisk (*) are based on long-term data. All figures are for U.S. residents.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Mike - you forgot to tell us how to get to your house!  Wink    

~Mary

~unknown

Mike E

MM #5615

The last time I flew was in August of 2010...

I was pretty scared at first...

But I relaxed pretty quickly...

Nobody wanted to sit next to me...but I didn't mind...

Of course...the landing was a little rough...

Yeah--I'm sure I'll be fine...

Mike E

MM #5615

Mike - you forgot to tell us how to get to your house!  Wink    

Does somebody else want my chairs?

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

HEY!!

~Mary

~unknown

I entered the NYC lottery a few years ago but didn't get in, and then for some reason the next year I didn't try.  I'm considering it for next year but depending on how Vegas goes, I may go back there instead.  With the ideal conditions we're having right now, I like having another 5 weeks to train.  The new guaranteed-entry times for NYC are interesting but don't apply to someone like me.  Even the old ones were a little out of reach.

Bill, I like the fact you can casually decide to run 10 or so tomorrow.  Resting day for me.  I'm so pumped about how well the Yasso 800's went!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me