Masters Running

veterans' day 11K-another report with photos (Read 253 times)

Henrun

Marj, being a state employee, had today off. So, I coerced to run the only 11K that is in existence (so they say). I had run it once before and found it to be a beautiful and challenging course and a small intimate race. The day was crisp and cold (Deez had already mentioned). We went back and forth re clothing having brought multi changes with us. We both finally settled on shorts and long sleeve T's (I changed from a thin long sleever to a thicker one) and cotton gloves (which I took off within 1/2 mile). The start was patriotic with a presentation of arms, the national anthem, the pledge of allegiance, taps, a moment of silence, followed by a cannon for the start. Marj had decided she wanted to run with me all the way, sacrificing a minute per mile for her speed diminishing DH. It was fun having her along and doing all the talking since I was breathing hard. She even stopped to take pictures (which, hopefully, will be posted). We kept a fairly even pace, albeist at the back of the pack. But I picked off many people towards the finish (except for one determined young fellow who sprinted to the finish after I passed him and beat me by 3 seconds). We finished at 1:14:32 (I wanted to break 1:15) for a 2nd in my age group. Yes, we kissed at the end-but, we always kiss at the start! Yes Henry about mile 2.4 after the zoo Photobucket the lake Photobucket about mile 5 Photobucket
    stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi Henry and Marg--sounds like a fun race. I wish I had the day off so I could consider it. it was a little breezy this morning, but looked like a nice day, nonetheless. Did you guys run the 5K around Lake Q this past weekend? I was hoping to, but had to go out of town. there's another on 11/22 if you haven't had enough of the area. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Henrun

Yes, we did , Kevin. But, we've had enough of the area for awhile. Sorry you couldn't make it.
          nice job Henry!! Marj you are a sweetie!! the pics are great and i am so glad i met up with you both today!!

denise

evanflein

Ah, pictorial evidence!! And Henry is in shorts so it couldn't have been THAT cold! Looks like fun, I love how you guys get out to all these races just for fun.
            SteveP

Gotta love the couples' races!!! It sounds like a lot of fun

SteveP

Makes my heart feel good! Smile
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  Makes my heart feel good! Smile
                  Ditto! I love that you start every race with a kiss too that is so sweet....ooops I'm getting kind of mushy here. Clowning around Great job you two, the photos are great and I would agree that it couldn't have been too cold since Henry was in shorts!
                  coastwalker

Hi Henry & Marj, Another great RR by two of my favorite runners! How great of Marj to stay with you the whole way, and to take some photos along the course. Congrats to you, Henry, on beating your goal time for the race. As I've said before: You two know how to do this running and racing thing right! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Great race and super photos! I love the kiss at the start and the finish---all the sweeter as you travel the roads together or at different paces. Deez is wonderful and I hope to see her and you two again soon. Karin
                      Tramps

Aww, that's so sweet. You guys are the best. I love reading your reports and, again, this one sounded like a good time. And you achieved your goal and got 2nd AG, too! That's great.

Be safe. Be kind.

DickyG

Wonderful report, wonderful race, and you two together are just...well, you know. But from now on, remember the age-old rule "there's no kissing in running". Thanks for a great post... DickyG

Marathon Maniac #957

Very nice, and, as Marge knows, sometimes sacrificing speed to run with a cute guy is well worth it... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice job, henrun and marj. Congrats on a nice race beating your goal and getting an AG award. Thanks for the neat pictures. TomS
                              Henrun

you guys are greta and also embarrassing me - and this is the closest i can get to a red face Blush marj