Masters Running

Tue Jun 3 Runs and Workouts (Read 513 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good morning all, Has anyone one had problems wearing their HR monitor chest strap? Mine has been irritating me from DAY 1 and I don't think that I'll be wearing it anymore, I hate that thing so much. I've got scar marks across my chest. Can't anyone make a simple wrist strap that does the same thing?...OK, enough ranting....
    I agree HR straps are annoying, but I don't get irritations form them. In the heat, mine will start to slide down which is really annoying. If I tighten it further it makes it harder to breathe. Since my Garmin is shipped off to be replaced I've been running with just my watch using the lap feature on a measured route. Rather than watching pace and HR while I run, I find I now pay more attention to foot push-off and breathing pattern and effort. It feels liberating to go sans techno! On another note about running faster. I've found lately that when I concentrate on the power of the push-off, I can run faster without the breathing getting uncomfortable. It's kind of like running with your legs vs running with your lungs if that makes sense. I think running (or climbing) big @ss hills really helps with the push off power too.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

No running today for me,if the rain stops maybe I can go for a bike ride with the kidlets...
      Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Hill Runner

Peter NC what model do you have? I must admit to never having any issues with one. How tight/loose is the strap on you? I've got a 305 and I keep it snug otherwise it will fall down to my waist... Smile I've been wearing HR straps for about 2 1/2 years and had chronic/ intermittent problems with it irritating my chest area. I'm probably one of those people who will never be comfortable wearing one...

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
        Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
        Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Hello everyone. No run yet since I am planning on running intervals tonight with the coach and the team at the track. Will find out how I feel for the fast stuff. Legs were fine running the 12K of trails yesterday with Topdown. Lungs a little more bushed than usual. I will be offline for the rest of the week as I leave tomorrow morning for Temagami and the cottage to help my dad with firewood, etc...I will get to do some fishing for walleye and northern pikes and also run some tough mountain trails. I will post a report and some pictures of my favorite place in the world when I get back. Have a great week everyone. Pray that the blackflies dont carry me away, since they are the size of Mary's little dogs up there. Nice pics by the way Mary. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Mary – adorable! Dg – here, let me hand you a small halibut to smack your DH with...Next weekend is my weekend for yardwork and mulching. My poor, half-painted kitchen is just going to have to be done in small pieces. Dave59 – I thought tight hips was a GOOD thing to have... Smile CNYrunner – today I thought of you as I tried to “dial in a pace” aiming at MP, but I seem to just keep accelerating if I don’t constantly look at the Garmin. My “pace awareness” is really off. 10 miles for me this morning in 66 degrees, with miles #3, 4, and 5 starting at MP and accelerating to tempo (8:41, 8:24, 8:06), and the rest of the run at a general briskish pace (9:25ish), until the last uphill mile. Then, 60 lunges on each leg. This is my Kroger-has-ice-cream-on-sale run. Anyone tried their birthday cake flavor, with the confetti and blue icing swirls? (sigh) and I wonder why I have trouble keeping my weight down.... Big grin Storms in the forecast today, and the news was saying this system dropped softball-sized hail west of here. Softball-sized hail? I didn’t even know that was possible.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Pray that the blackflies dont carry me away, since they are the size of Mary's little dogs up there. Nice pics by the way Mary. Tall
              Reminds of the the greatest movie of all time - the original "In-Laws": Vince - "I was in the jungle - the bush we called it - for approximately nine months. They have tsetse flies down there the size of eagles. The enormous flies flapping slowly away into the sunset, small brown babies clutched in their beaks." Sheldon - "Beaks? Flies with beaks?"

Storms in the forecast today, and the news was saying this system dropped softball-sized hail west of here. Softball-sized hail? I didn’t even know that was possible.
                Shocked

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

CNY, I agree with twocat. Seems you felt okay in this workout, but if your hamstring was a little tender, that's a signal. Remember last week the thread that talked about recovery and I mentioned how at my age I need an extra day? Your tough workout today would have been impossible for me, even if I were in shape right now. You are awesome, but please be careful the next 3 days. Pay attention to everything. When I worked in Sydney I called the Saint every day. One day she said, "we had a hailstorm and the hail was the size of golf balls." I said, "People who see hail are always making up these stories about how big the hail is. There is no hail the size of a golf ball." She said, "I knew you would say that. When you get home you will find a ziploc bag of it in the freezer." And there was. Spareribs
                  Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Good Morning Everyone. Rainy day in my corner of the PNW and no running for me yet, after the very long one on Sat. I have been icing my ankle and it is looking so much bette. I figure, a couple more days of rest then I hope to be able to start runnig again and plan some races for the rest of the summer besides the Seafair Marathon which is now less than 4 weeks away. Happy Runs and Happy Tuesday!! Francesca
                      Yikes Francesca! You just completed 100K, take care of yer wheels... I did not run this morning, I needed a rest. (I didn't realize that when you "modify" something, you bump your own thread. Sorry about that, I just had to correct a name.)
                      LaVita
                        6 wonderful lunchtime miles for me today. I never have any problems with my HR monitor strap. I just wear it on the outside of my shirt. My HR stays very low this way and it seems to attract attention.
                        pfriese

Good morning/afternoon all, I was able to get up and out early to beat the heat. A nice sproinky 5 mile run. Paul

The Jogger

Hi, just checking in and changing my name, this is what I have on KR so I might as well go with it here. Anyway a hilly trail today with the woody boy, it felt good, the trail was wet and muddy but very enjoyable...... I kept the HR low for me and the pace slow but it was a really enjoyable run. 10m 01:51:22 @ 11:08 pace AHR 147 68% WHR Good Runs All Roy (this don't change)
                            stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy lunch hour to all the east coast folks. and for the rest of you, I hope it comes quickly. out at 5:15am this morning for the standard 3.2 lake loop. 29 minutes and change, so my times are coming down slowly. this is about a minute faster than my best time since I restarted, but those 20 seconds per mile seemed quite painful this morning. But I did see my first bunny of the spring--looked like a young'n. About 1/2 way through I got passed fairly quickly by a couple of young(er) women, chatting away. I think I might have been able to match that pace (for a while), but there sure would have been very little talking on my part. I also felt like I got the much better part of the deal following them than they did me. Wink I envision that this is what CNY and Holly are like when they get together and go off on their runs. I found there's a good reason for starting at the beginning of the daily when I come back in. Thought "How'd I miss the puppies first time through?" and then I see they were added. Sure are cute! We've started summer hours at work and by working 8-9 hour days, we get every other Friday off. I really like the concept, but in order to be at work on time I should leave the house at 6am. it may take a little getting used to when I need to squeeze in some longer runs beforehand Shocked Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Everyone, One of the good things about living on the West Coast is that triple overtime games are over before 10 pm. In the last overtime most of the players on both teams could hardly stand up no less skate. They looked like I do when I am finished with an interval session! Speaking of intervals, today was a speed day for me. I did 7 miles w/7x800m: 1 mile wu: 10:24 1 minute rest 7x800m w/400m recovery: (4:07, 3:57, 3:53, 3:57, 3:58, 3:59, 4:01) 1 mile cd: 10:27 Total: 7 miles in 1:06:28 9:31/mile pace Have a great day Everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano