Masters Running

Saturday, December 22 Masters run and chat (Read 664 times)

Got my 12 miler done, on the TM no less. Takes a lot of mind games to get through it, and great tunes help enormously as well. I tried visualizing I was out on my favourite route, visualizing running a marathon on a IRC day, visualizing I am on stage with the musical group currently playing on my iPOD, trying to run back and forth on the stage to whoop up the crowd. Anyone else have that particular one? It works well for the last two minutes of a hard interval. Encore time. Good runs all! I'm way past the 1,000 mile point Wink but I thought it would still be neat to be apart of a 1,000 mile club.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Got my 12 miler done, on the TM no less. Takes a lot of mind games to get through it
      Enkie, I know what you mean. For the last 6.2 miles of a treadmill run--if I'm going that far--I sometimes like to imagine I'm in the last 10K of a marathon, and it's time to tough it out. When I ran my one and only marathon last April, I think that habit of visualization, if you will, helped me finish strong. In 2008 I plan to participate in the 1,000 mile club here. Something to shoot for. Smile Dark Horse
      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Finally had a run this morning that felt great ! On the treadmill even. 4 miles in 44:16 (yes I'm slow). Hmm. 1000 mile club. I came close in 2006 but this last year was wretched. I may try. I'm thinking of running the Martian Half in Dearborn MI. Has anyone done this one? Good runs all.
        I'm even slower - 4 miles in 49:50. It was 10 degrees, though, so I think that's why. Usually I would be about the same as you! I can't run enough each week yet to shoot for the 1000 mile club, but I'm thinking it will be a great goal for 2009. This next week, I'm supposed to run 14 miles. I'm not scheduled to run 20 mpw until the beginning of February. Maybe I should join the club just to see how close I could get - do you think that's a good idea? I'm going to start filling in my log on January 1.

GreenMan

.... staring with horror at the FROST on the grass!! I could see my breath in puffs of white! ...)
          You funny grll Congrats jjj
          Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.

King of PhotoShop

This place is exquisite. So nice to see familiar faces. And when I'm able to run again I may even post something. Thanks all. Spareribs
              6 easy miles @ 10:30 pace this morning. 26F and 35-40 mph winds and blowing snow. Pretty much blizzard conditions. I felt like a kid out playing in the snow....wait a minute...I was a kid out playing in the snow! Tim..what a difference 150 miles make. I live up in NW OK...I know you're down S abit. You made a wise choice to get out and get your run in early this morning.
              Yeah...it got cold very quick....the wind has been howling all afternoon...yuck...it will surely be cold tomorrow morning... Tim, Ardmore, OK.
              Fred.Just Fred

The Internut

There is a 1,000 Mile Club here. You click on to join and then there is a "Pace Bunny" that tells you whether you are on track to make the goal for the year. They then list you when you are within the 50 mile range. You can see how you are doing against the Pace Bunny, and then the "field" of others who are members. Any takers out there to join the Club for 2008? Even if you run a lot more, you could use this to see how QUICKLY you arrive at the 1,000 mile mark. Anyway, I wanted to give you all a heads up for these two neat discoveries. Yes sir, I like it here. Have some neat runs everyone. As soon as I finish my run, I will post it. TODAY I will pass the Pace Bunny for the first time in the year......VERY COOL. Vista OK......This is a learning experience. I am going to try to shut my thread down. Thanks for starting us RUNNINGINDC
                I just joined this forum, and RunningAHEAD in general. I have been a resident of Planetrun.com for about five years, but a recent system crash caused me to look elsewhere. And here I am! I just passed the 1,000 mile mark for 2007. Where is this "pace bunny" of which you speak? My goal for next year is 2008 km (~1248 miles). I had to take a couple of weeks off this year due to a pinched nerve in my foot, and the after-effects of the Marine Corps Marathon, but I'm having it treated and I look forward to the New Year! Happy Holidays!

I'll have days when I don't think I can run a marathon. I'll have a lifetime to know that I did.

anachrotech

... I tried visualizing I was out on my favourite route, visualizing running a marathon on a IRC day, visualizing I am on stage with the musical group currently playing on my iPOD, trying to run back and forth on the stage to whoop up the crowd... .
                  OMG - I do the same thing - mostly the iPod thing. Blush
                    My 1st daily-run post. Went for my fav, nearly 6.2 loop. It was hard getting out the door. I dislike gray, overcast skies and the wind also. I ran easy. I'm in recovery mode since my 1st marathon. I felt no pain. Completed the effort in 47:02. I could handle the wind if it were not howling constant across my ears. Do any of you combat this in an effective way? Headband? Muffs? Cotton? I've not tried anything, but today got me thinking.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

I could handle the wind if it were not howling constant across my ears. Do any of you combat this in an effective way?
                      pRED, Yes. I use the treadmill in the gym. Smile Good run! Dark Horse
                      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

My 1st daily-run post. Went for my fav, nearly 6.2 loop. It was hard getting out the door. I dislike gray, overcast skies and the wind also. I ran easy. I'm in recovery mode since my 1st marathon. I felt no pain. Completed the effort in 47:02. I could handle the wind if it were not howling constant across my ears. Do any of you combat this in an effective way? Headband? Muffs? Cotton? I've not tried anything, but today got me thinking.
                        I bought 180 earmuffs from LL Bean - they work really well. I can't do without them when it's 5 degrees! Treadmill?? Eek. The only time I would consider using it would be in the middle of a snowstorm, and then the gym is closed.
                          Good to see Spareribs show up.......and also predawnrunner conveniently following WRFB. I hope your are running again soon Liz. It is never fun to be on the sidelines. Eliz.....don't worry about being slow. I am there with you and the important thing is to be running, do matter the speed. We can only work within ourselves to evaluate and improve. Fred Puhan.....hopefully this will connect you to the 1,000 mile club ....http://www.runningahead.com/groups/1000MileClub There are also clubs for varying distances. I think I saw a Club for 1,500 miles......and one for 1,000 KM which would be like 620 miles. However, I have noted the following people saying they will be in the 1,000 mile club for 2008. John...Jemmama.....Anachrotech (with some encouragement).....Dark Horse.......Vista......and Teresodfp. I think Teresodfp, that you SHOULD join the 1,000 Mile Club this year, as it would give you some measurement to go by when the next year rolls around. Congratulations to Ilene on the 2nd in AG in your recent race. That was a great idea to share the Christmas tree.
                          Vista
                          Teresadfp

One day at a time

I think Teresodfp, that you SHOULD join the 1,000 Mile Club this year, as it would give you some measurement to go by when the next year rolls around.
                            OK, Vista, I'll do it!
                              Eliz, Theresa, et al., those of you who think you're slow can peek at my log. You might feel better. Wink pRED, I use one of those headband thingies that covers your ears but not your head. Some are just stretchy bands, some fasten with velcro. They're easy to remove during a run if you get too warm. I'm going to sign up for the 1000 club now. . . .
                              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Eliz, Theresa, et al., those of you who think you're slow can peek at my log. You might feel better.
                                That's kind of you to offer! How do I look at your log? I'm new at this and can't figure it out. Smile