Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 9.3.14 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Someone else is going to have to do the daily summaries, at least for a while. It is fun to do, but it takes some time, and I won't have that kind of time for some time. That being said: great photos, Mike; those sure are red shoes, Roch; and good calls, Steve.

5.5 RW miles at 4 o'dark this morning. It had rained some overnight, but the skies were clearing by the time I headed out. It was 70F and still muggy, but there was a nice westerly breeze that provided a modicum of cooling. It was a good workout, but I sure was damp by the time I got done.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

Sorry,

No, I can't do the condensed version. But I do enjoy reading it!

Great 1st day of school pictures Mike.

Another easy run...another day at work.

BlazinCajun

Morning Jay and Slo_Hand

Jay - thanks for the update yesterday

Stumpy77 - nice delayed septic 11.5 miler

Posai - Nice photo

A Slo_Hand Sighting - a sunrise run

rochrunner - welcome to the bright shoe club

MikeE - Nice first day of school photos

SteveP - Nice input for the employees

Yesterday ran on the Augusta Canal starting in the dark. Figured on running to the 3.5 mile mark and turn around. Ran about a 1/10 of mile past the turn around to a water fountain and rehydrated - it was not quite sunrise. Turned around and saw a guy running in a green shirt back towards the starting point and wondered where he came from since I never saw him at any point during the run. He was maybe a little more than a 1/3 of mile in front. Seemed like he wasn't running quite as fast and I'd see about catching him without making the run leave the comfortable zone. Seemed to be gaining then my shoe lace came untied and lost my gains. Continued gaining on him until I sneezed and he turned around and noticed me. He must have sped up because I no longer gained on him and I told my self that it did not matter - had to stay in the comfort zone. Finally with about a mile left he began slowing down. Caught up with him about 1/2 mile before the end. He said, "Now you are going to pass me just before I finish". I sensed irritation in his voice and told him I was not going to pass him but run with him. He admited that he came in behind me at the beginning of the run and was chasing me and recognized my citron shirt - "never could gain on you". He turned at the 3.5 mile mark which is the reason I never saw him. He also said that because he sped up he almost had to walk and thanked me for pushing him. I did not mean to push him and I guess nobody likes to get passed even during an easy run. He appreciated the extra push because he is training for a 1/2 IronMan at the end of the month. Anyway we finished together and wished him luck in the race. Made for an interesting run.

Ran about 6 miles in the fog on logging trails this morning - Good runs to all

Andrew
        ------------------
        God, my Lord, is my strength;
        he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
        and enables me to go upon the heights.
        Hb 3:19

Mariposai

Sorry,  I did not see your daily this morning Jay.

Anyway,  8 miles for my wings with 3 at tempo. First 5 miles with my awesome RP.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Nice running/racin’ cajun and thanks for the jay recap and to jay for all his caps.
            much appreciated..

ps cajun - although a couple of training runs might be warranted if I hope for a first a sub-six marathon at the upcoming Tunnel Lite Marathon (where the last one was in July 2012 at the Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon on the same course), just putting me down for “ ‘nother taper day” should be okay for me most, if not all, of the time.  thanks.

ps CNY Karin - I saw some snippets of two runners sprinting up a steep slope to the finish line at the the Mt. Blanc race your friend Brain placed 19th and 2nd American.  The trail is so narrow, runners are started at 30 second or something interervals like Tour de France time trials.  Will they be running the VT50 with you too. Maybe he can pace MikeE and Amy you.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

from Holly, yesterday:

"--> to Stumpy, on clothing styles.....

Mike - love the grandchildren pics!  Nice to see pictures of Minnesota that don't have snow on the ground, too.

Steve - are you going to stay?  ---we want to know!

Slo - hi!"

Ditto all that....

Thanks, Blazin, for the recap (and interesting story), and thanks Jay for all your work in having done them so long we're now totally spoiled.

Erika, does tuna "juice" (what we call the water from the 'for-human' tuma cans) poured over food help get Abby interested in eating ever??

Mari, but you get more graceful with every day.  Love your posts.  Have fun with new RP!!

Ribs, I sent a note to your Keys friend and he sent me his number; do you know he calls you Gregory

Mike, my new Garmin and I aren't 'zackly friends yet, especially after I ran a very hard 800 last night (the 3rd of 8) and realized it wasn't computing.  Then it didn't stop after another one, so I have a very slow interval......then it wouldn't turn off and added in a mile I drove, sheesh!  So I think I had a decent workout last night, but it would have been better without me being so distracted by the device.  I know, I'm the eejit.  At any rate, (actually, it was a slow one), I did enjoy 8 miles before and during the sunrise at Lakes Park this am.

Does it count as hump day when you have Monday off??

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Seems like a great day to honor Jay for the effort he puts into these daily summaries. I enjoy them immensely.

Great story Blazin, and I imagine this same thing happens a lot with many others, but just never gets expressed. We see a runner in the distance and wonder if we can catch him (or her), or someone tucks in behind us and we pick it up a bit so as not to let him (or her) pass. But not a word is spoken (the church bells all were broken, but that's another story).

Had a 7 a.m. business breakfast, very enjoyable, but that got me to the park at 8:30. Ran 4.9 in some awesome heat and direct sun. Glad that's over.  I have no billable work today, which means emails, phone calls and stuff I hate to do.   Spareribs

TammyinGP

Yes, Jay, I also appreciate your summaries and certainly understand it is time-consuming. Thanks for doing that in the past!

Enjoyed seeing the pics in yesterdays thread. David started HS yesterday also and I did take the obligatory first day of school pic but then never got around to pulling it off the camera. I think I might have to do a side-by-side of 1st day of K and 1st day of HS, since they are taken in the same spot. Just different dogs in the photo now. 

I"ll get in a run this afternoon. David has XC til 6 p.m and I'll be leaving work about 4:30 so should get in an hours run or so. If I can even run that long. . .

Tammy

mrrun

Thanks Jay for the recaps

Stumpy - I second your clothing style as it's mine also

I've got FB pics of my GKs (grandkids??), but not posting.

oh yes, running - ran 7.2 around Jamaica Pond, starting later than I wanted but still cooler and less humid then the last few days

marj

Aamos, happy birthday to your husband.  Mike, great first day of school pictures of your grandkids.  Steve, it's great the way you spoke for up for the welfare of all of all your coworkers.  I hope your job decisions work out well for you.

Nice long runs for Aamos, stumpy, and Mike.

This morning, it was  in the low to mid 50s with just a light wind.  I did 5 miles at an 11:36 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - you have done a great job on the daily summaries, but you are more than welcome to do some fly-bys when life is busy.

Speaking of which, here is a fly-by from work...

With school started, DD is back to her usual busy schedule of sports and club meetings.  Today she had an FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) meeting before school, an Outdoor Club meeting directly after school, and then a tennis match after that.

Getting her to school early cut short my running time a little, but I still managed to get in 5.2 miles with fartleks.

Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BTY

Good Afternoon, running friends!

Jay, I can barely commit to reading all of the summary notes, much less writing them!   You are an awesome contributor here.

I ran 4.2 miles today.   May and September are typically the best running months in Albany, with temps at lunchtime usually in the 70's and lower humidity. Yesterday was an anomole, with high temps and high humidity, but today was beautiful!  Even a nice breeze that never seemed to be a headwind or tailwind but kept the air moving.  Refreshing while running in the sunshine.  I'm really looking forward to the trend toward prime conditions as I need to get some consistency in my training and I need to get my miles up.

Brian

Ever have a day you wish never happened.  Wish you could call in a reverse Ground Hog movie day?  You know instead of repeating a day it would just poof never have happened?  That was my day.  I got up.  All was well.  Had a great 8 mile run with some headset phone call company.  Then I got home.  Looked at my email and bam!  One was from a relay team member being forced out by his employer who moved him from one area (where they said go have fun) to another (where they said forget it).  So for the fourth yes fourth(!) time I need need to get a twelfth runner for the team.    Somebody just kill me.    I got to the office and there were more issues.  IT just installed the two new monitors they recommended.  They are unusable!  Each has the resolution of a TV from the 1950s.  They need to go or I will go blind.  Today the right monitor went haywire and would not pick up the signal from the computer.  Which meant I now had only one monitor, horrible as it is.  Given what I do for a living, one monitor is very, very difficult to work with.  I generally have my code displayed on my right screen and the output on the left.  Today I had to have one window on top of the other, which slows debugging down to a crawl.  Finally, I head home.  Traffic has me going zero miles an hour for quite some time.  Eventually I get home.  But with dinner late, DW is in a pretty crabby mood.  On the up side, I guess tomorrow is unlikely to be any worse.  You may now go back to your much less depressing posts.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

((Twocat)) hope you have a better day tomorrow.  That does sound like a terrible-horrible-no-good-very-bad-day.  At least you got in a 8 mile run!  I hope you get the team back up to 12 people soon if you haven't already.

I too look forward to Jay's summaries every day.  I don't see how you do it so well.  We will all have to step up to do more of that. Thanks.

Tonight was a tempo run for me 5 min at 12:14 - 20 min at 11:13 - 5 min at 12:36.  I know this seems slow to most of you, but it is a huge accomplishment for me. Back in March I was running 14-15 minute miles.  Now it is taper time for the half.  Does everyone (besides Tet) rest for 2 days before a race?  That is what my schedule says.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

Twocat... does the term "first world problems" mean anything to you? Look at it this way: you got in a nice run, and nobody tried to mug or shoot you, and land mines weren't an issue. You have a good well-paying job and don't have to worry about making the mortgage payment or paying for food. You are happily married to a (sometimes crabby) wife who loves you and tolerates your running issues. Sounds to me like you have it pretty good.

We had a pretty nice day today, although it has been persistently chilly. Nice to see blue sky and sunshine though! I left work a little before 5 and headed out on the Equinox trail. My office is not far from the start, and besides not getting the "benefit" of the initial steep hill, it works as a good starting point for training runs. Went out to just past mile 7, then turned back toward campus on the multi-use trail. 10.1 miles total.

Does anyone else have a problem with eyes watering during a run, especially on trails? I am not sure what is the cause, but there's times I just can't see with the amount of tearing. I must look like I'm crying or something with tears just running down my cheeks! Gotta remember a tissue or two for these runs. Seems like my eyes and nose run more than my legs! Any hints on how to handle this would be appreciated. Hard to run on rooty trails when your eyes are all blurry from tears! (and no, I'm not complaining, just wondering if anyone has any tips....)