Masters Running

A bit about yourself (Read 2408 times)

carnivirus

NOT a CR refugee - just wandering after Nike went all Nike + with their online training log. I started posting my training on RA the beginning of 2008 and really like the log. Then I started reading the forums (and spending too much time doing so), and decided to join the masters running group ('cause I am). Reader's Digest history: Running over 35 years now (how did I get this old experienced?). I've been very competitive in HS and college and run some good times through my 20's and 30's, but never did have a good training or racing year in my 40's. Now I'm on the verge of the big 5-0 and getting pumped to get in good shape! My goal is the San Diego Rock and Roll marathon on June 1st. I want to break 3 hrs (which all the conversion charts tell me I can do) but I have to be in top shape. My long runs are going well (up to 15 already - with four months to go) need to work on speed and tempo and get race sharp. Jobwise, I spent the last 14 years teaching sport management at colleges up and down the east coast (FL to PA) but moved out to Cayucos, CA to help out my mother after the death of my stepfather. Incredibly beautiful for running and very hard to switch careers. Still looking for something stable in work - my running is going well. I'll be posting in the 40/40 page to help with the old motivation.
    BostonRnr

I'm Susan from Boston. 46 years young. I've been running and racing for 11 years. I did my first two HMs last year. I am planning my first marathon this fall, probably the Marine Corps. I'm open to suggestions for fast fun fall marathons. If you're running Boston this year (or any year), I'll be cheering for you near Cleveland Circle. Not sure if I'll ever run Boston myself due to my fear and loathing of training outside in the winter. See ya!
      Henrun

Welcome Susan. We live near Cleveland Cirlcle also-small world!
          Helen, 58 from Fayetteville, Tennessee. Running since 2002. 3 half marathons and currently training for the Country Music 1/2 in April. Would love to find some fellow boomers who are going. CR refugee. Love the banter that goes on here. Blush
          SteveP

Steve P here. 47 with the kewlest wife ever. 4 step kids: Lacey,22; Rachel, 20; Micaela, 19; Anthony; 17. 1 SIL, Luke. Lacey and Luke birthed me a grandson, Noah James on 1/30/08. As a result of a background check, he'll be allowed to stay in the family...with close supervision. The running bug bit me when I was in my early to mid 20s. I've taken erratic time off for being a drunk and put the plug in the jug in 1998. After breaking and dislocating my right ankle. Lost 40 lbs but still slow. It's OK, at least I can still run. There's days it's really work. Like any other runner. I've been in the Traverse City, MI. area since August 2001. There are local races most months....Sweet. I've finished the Bayshore Marathon in 2007. 4:26. In 2007, I logged 1298.2 miles. Finished at least 1 race a month for 12 months. We'll see what '08 brings.

SteveP

I'm Susan from Boston. 46 years young. I've been running and racing for 11 years. I did my first two HMs last year. I am planning my first marathon this fall, probably the Marine Corps. I'm open to suggestions for fast fun fall marathons. If you're running Boston this year (or any year), I'll be cheering for you near Cleveland Circle. Not sure if I'll ever run Boston myself due to my fear and loathing of training outside in the winter. See ya!
              Hey Susan! I'll look for you--I used to live in Coolidge Corner, years ago--am in South Dakota now. I'm staying in Brookline this year. I'm thinking about doing the MCM, too. Let me know if you commit--I know it's huge, but it'd be fun to try and find each other. grins, A
              Masters 2000 miles
              BostonRnr

Hey Susan! I'll look for you--I used to live in Coolidge Corner, years ago--am in South Dakota now. I'm staying in Brookline this year. I'm thinking about doing the MCM, too. Let me know if you commit--I know it's huge, but it'd be fun to try and find each other. grins, A
                Hi Aamos, I'll definitely root for you at Boston. And, I'll let you know if I get into MCM. I plan to sign up the minute registration opens. Susan

Head Procrastinator

This thread needed a bump. Too bad they can't do sticky here yet.
                  ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                  lswife

I just reread all the posts and noticed how many of us . . . 1. were/are fighting injuries of one sort or another . . . 2. mentioned running slowly and/or running/walking to get back in shape. That's where I am now - working with a PF problem for over 6 weeks now (4 doctor visits, now to a physical therapist) and with the Indy mini-marathon's 5K on May 3 which I have looked forward to. Several wrote that they have been sidelined with injuries and had to cut way down on/or stop running. Your experiences/advice helped me realize that maybe not doing the 5K would be best. I'll wait to see what the therapist says next week. Thanks for sharing your running stories and histories, good and bad.

Renee the dog

I've been pondering this question since I first saw it posted a long time ago. Being perenially sleep-deprived due to postponing parenthood 'till now, I'm not sure I have an answer yet! I was born in the very last year of the baby boom, and started running for real only 3+ years ago. A friend gave me a baby jogger as a baby shower gift, and I thought, "Is she out of her mind?" Well the site of that thing eventually got to me, and my husband and I started running and training for a half marathon. It's pretty boring here at the NJ coast in the winter! Yes, we started running in February in gale force winds with a baby jogger. I guess we're just not quitters once we decide on something. My sports life: I was a competitive swimmer from age 6-14, with a specialty of breast stroke, captained my school volleyball team, did a bit of ski racing in my teens, and played a lot of recreational tennis up until my first child. So when people ask about running and my knees, I just about fall over laughing. I realize though that these people use these fears to limit their own motion. And, I hope that I just set a different example for them, as well as my children.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!