Masters Running

Sunday, July 27 runs and funs (Read 399 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! 16 mile bike ride this morning on the river bike path, with the mist swirling round the rolled up hay bales in the freshly cut fields and the river smooth as glass. Lovely. Smile DS and I had a great time at the game last night, stuffing ourselves on peanuts and dipping dots. We need to do stuff like that more often. My Sunday plans: church now, then the water park, then a nap, then to a fishing pond to try out DS’s new pole, then a family movie……a good day….. Smile Happy Sunday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice ride Holly. Your Sunday plans sound like fun too! 12 H&H miles this morning in 1:51 (9:19 min/mile). 78F and 89%. Average HR 140. Perfect easy run HR. I met up with the local clubbers at mile 4.5 and started off with them from there. But they were all doing recoveries from LR's yesterday so I ended up running by myself anyway. A couple of the miles were near MP towards the end without really trying to do anything but get done! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Renee the dog

Mornin' Boomers! Had a good afternoon and overnight with Mom...don't know what Dad's talking about -- she's not difficult at all. They just have a bad dynamic. I'm glad I can give her a bit of respite for a couple days. She's really as good as, or better than before her stroke in May. She walked the dog with me last night -- about 0.4 mi. No residual ill effects like exhaustion, etc. She did wake up confused in the middle of the night, but heck she was sleeping in a new king sized bed with her daughter and granddaughter, which we've never done before. It was actually quite fun. I did get a chance to talk to my Dad last night--he had tests run all day and didn't make it back to his room 'till around 8 p.m. He sounded beat. He also sounds like he doesn't want to get better. That could be exhaustion, or he may be giving up. Time will tell. I got up and out the door by 6 a.m. and ran 8 miles with about 5 or 6 rests stops to visit with dogs, people, etc. Renee went with me for the first 3 mi. It was an awesome morning run. Mom's up and had breakfast, and is playing with my kids. Mr Nono just got back from his run. Despite all the things happening right now, it is a good day. Good runs to all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

morning, all. Guess everyone is out running long so far. tried to add some miles this morning and got a little greedy. About 5.6 miles of which the first 4.5 was running. at that point my knee started acting up and did a lot of walking to make it back home. An hour and 5 minutes for the whole mess. Nono--way to take the positive out of a trying experience. Hope it gets easier to do. Holly--I love going to minor league games, much simpler (and cheaper!) than the major league version. Don't get me wrong, I'll take Red Sox tickets if they're offered, but I can't afford several hundred dollars to take the whole family. Nice bike ride, too. Bill--it sure is nice to see you enjoying your runs again. I know it's been a while , but I never got around to mentioning it. Hope everyone else has more satisfying runs than me today. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Happy Holly!! gr8! Stumpy.. hope the knee gets beter soon. New acronym: RTYB (run til you bonk). I've just started training for the Raleigh Marathon (City of Oaks Marathon), my first local marathon. So after a 2.2 mile run with Tory, I drove 20 mi to Umstead park to run 10 miles of the course. I went to the wrong entrance and had to run 3 miles of single track trails to get to the marathon route! This part of the marathon is miles 10-20. Woah was it hilly! I averaged 8:14 pace for the first 8 miles of the route and then just bonked bad in the relentless hills. Last 3 miles were 9:56, 9:41 and 8:42! It was 75F and hazy-muggy towards the end....so not enough fluids. They claim to have "flattened" the course this year! Good workout, but now I'm scared of the course. 16.1 miles total today

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tramps

18.1 @ 8:54 (plus a one mile cool-down walk). AHR 144, 76%. 76F at start, 84F at finish and humid. Similar distance, pace, and weather conditions to last week but, for some reason, this was a much tougher run for me today. I was fine through 13 or so then started feeling overheated and a bit nauseous. AHR was 6 BPM higher than last week. Oh well, it’s done and the ice bath felt great afterwards.

Be safe. Be kind.

.....A Great Fog Covered the Earth..... ============== ........a hot, still, morning on The Plateau, only could see about 1/2 a block due to Thick Fog Cover.... ......58-min trailrun with detours into my New Infield, drippy and content......I LOVE IT...... .....out last night with friends who Own Their Own Mountain, covered in trails, we spent over an hour hiking them, very mountainous and magestic...... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby%2C_Tennessee .......the most Immaculate Farms I have ever seen due to English Influence, except ONE very rundown place, owned by The MacKenna's.........hhhhhmmmmm.... .................good running guys.............off to my 2nd Church........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

DickyG

Back from softball tournament in Richmond this week-end..so needless to say, I'm waaaaay behind...just a few notes: Ribs: Thanks for the update...hope all goes well...will you be able to play the violin again? Breger: Wonderful & poignant story...thanks. Although entirely different circumstances, my first wife passed away 21 years ago...she was a gorgeous girl, both inside and out and even though I've been happily married to Queen Pam for 7 years now, I still miss her. Aamos: Chapstick across the forehead...hmmm...thanks, have to try that. Sarge: How's hammie coming along? Wore 2 ace's on each leg plus compression shorts during our tournament this week-end...still got a little sore. Karin: What a moving story about your brother...jeez. Twocat: You continue to race stronger and stronger...congrats! Too bad the race wasn't 4.84 miles where I hold the world record. Tramps: You need a fjord? It just so happens that I've got 2 for sale.. I'm sorta worn out...we played 8 games in two days in the hot Virginia sun..we went 6-2 and came in second...some team from Atlanta won. My groin was getting sore towards the end. For some dumb reason I got up early this morning and ran 4 miles...time was a modest 38:48 but I was able to make 3 miles before I have to walk some. I know I'm swimming against the tide here but I was born in the Gramercy Park area of Manhattan so naturally I'm a Yankee fan through and through....although I must admit that they suck this year. I'll catch up on the rest of the posts later...good running to all...and that includes TomWhite. DickyG
                    5 easy paced miles (for me) W/DW I had to almost push her around this morning, she has a very tough time with humidity (96% today). Hammy felt good today Smile Holly enjoy your wonderful plans Cool Good runs Bill, Perch & Tramps awesome Stumpy I agree Minor League Baseball is alot of fun... Take care of that knee. Dicky how do you do that? 8 games in 2 days and then still manage to get a run in. Tournaments like that is why I started running 18 years ago but when I hurt my throwing shoulder 12 years ago I began taking the running more seriously.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

..good running to ya dickyG//......don't make me send The MacKenna's down there.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Nice tough weekend of work for Dicky and a heck of a long tough run for Tramps. Stumps, hope that knee heals. Nono, you have a great disposition. Perch, when you bonk, even when you're in as great shape as you are, it does scare you a bit. You will conquer this course. 4 miles of easy walking (16's) out at the lake. I felt like I had the Secret Service with me today. Normally I can't get anyone to walk with me, but today I had three "guests" two with cell phones. They said, "oh we just felt like walking today." Only one of them ever walks. Friends are cool. We're going to see Jersey Boys tonight. I'm pretty excited. Spareribs
                          Speaking of bonking... I went out planning to do 20 but gave up after 19 or so -- walked it in. HR was up the last couple of miles, I guess it was warm, and I figured this was my longest by several miles since the last race, so it was ok. 19.25 miles @ 9:06, (2:55), AHR 153.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Geez, y'all are busy and into the double digits today. Just 7 recovery miles for me today in about a 9 minute pace. Perch--it can't be as hilly as Grandfather Mountain--you have that under your belt now. You'll be ready. (...especially if you can figure out a way to drop in on tom and his friends who own a mountain to practice!) Holly--I want to come over and play at your house. Your plans are ever so much 'funner' than mine! Ditto what stumpy said about the minors, and they don't have bigego bozos in their ranks, usually Angry. OK, it's a new day, and the sun has risen afresh over Fenway. Let's GO! grins, A
                            Masters 2000 miles
                            munchkn883

Decided to take today off b/c I've been up since 10 a.m. Saturday morning. For some reason I couldn't go to sleep last night....wasn't even tired and still not tired. Shocked Last week I had my tumor markers done and we were very excited to learn they didn't go up...stayed the same as June! Not sure what I'll decide about chemo if they stay the same in August. Will have a long discussion with my doctor. Ribs -- hope you and the family are doing okay. You all are in my prayers. Perch -- you will have no problem with the City of Oaks Marathon. I think I'll be doing the half so we should get finished about the same time!! LOL I heard the full course had been changed from last year...is that true? Everyone have a great week!
                                10.5 @ 9:30 pace in sunny conditions. Its a cut back week so a short long run day, That's probably OK as I have a heel that has been a bother for the last week. Maybe some extra stretching icing and massaging this week will settle it down. Holly's recreational days are as busy as her workouts Shocked Perch, Maybe you are just a little tired man! Look at what you have been doing the last few weeks. Wink Thinking of the Ragnar Relay reports to come soon. Should be entertaining. Good runs to everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down