Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 12.23.13 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

We got our 7' tall cabinet cut in half yesterday, leveled the top of the bottom half, and cut and painted a top to put on it, and it'll work great as a new TV/stereo surface and storage cabinet. It was a lot of heavy lifting and awkward angles with power tools, but we got it done with no more damage than some muscle aches. After cleaning up and putting everything away, DW decided to rehang some garland in the living room that wasn't quite to her liking. I was starting dinner, when I heard a crash, went running, and found DW on the floor, having fallen from a short step ladder. She had a few cuts, had bitten her tongue and the inside of her cheek, got a big bump on the back of her head and on her forehead, and hurt her wrist which she apparently used to try to break her fall. She's hurting this morning, but the worst appears to be the wrist, which probably needs an x-ray to see if there is any significant damage. And, of course, we have company coming this afternoon for a few days over Christmas. Thankfully, we have today off from the office, and I'm encouraging her to just take it easy while I do the rest of the clean-up and prep. Needless to say, no workout today.

Have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Ouch Jay.  I hope your DW is just sore from the fall and not injured in any real way.  Good luck.

6 easy paced miles at 5:20 AM.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - scary stuff!  Let's hope it is just some bruising and that she recovers quickly.

5.5 miles for me in 33 very windy degrees.

Erika - I know what you mean about fitness slacking - only 28 miles for me last week!  I need to buckle down a bit for sure.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Sorry Jay. Hope the x-rays show no damage and your DW can recover quickly.

Just remember people, perhaps you only ran 28 miles but that's 28 more than lots of people out there. The miles will come.

No run yet. I think I managed to get a different malady on my trip to DC. No way I can be sick from the same thing for more than two weeks. Makes the runs a challenge.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

King of PhotoShop

Sorry about that fall Jay.  That was scary.

Being safe today and taking Lucy to the park for a two mile walk. I'll try out the leg tomorrow. No need to push it.

Here's a story I wrote today about a local race and my club.  A little 5K fundraiser generated $120,000. Not a bad haul:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2013/12/can-you-make-any-money-putting-on-a-race.html/

Spareribs

deez4boyz congratulations on matching your PR in that race!  Nice AG pickup too!

evanflein snow shoveling certainly counts as a way to run down your batteries prior to a run!  You had every right to lack oomph.

For December it is warm here, somewhere in the low 50s.  But it is raining and running rule #1 is no running in the rain!  So down to the elliptical I went.  Tomorrow it will clear up.  Alas, it will be cold but I plan to go out in it anyway for about 8 miles.

P.S.  No comments from the Alaska gallery about what the word "cold" should actually mean! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

P.S.  No comments from the Alaska gallery about what the word "cold" should actually mean! 

Ha! Alrighty then, I'll keep quiet....

It's stopped snowing (for awhile) but it's below zero again. Could get to -22 tonight. Just in time for Christmas, right? Should warm up a bit later this week, and I hope that doesn't mean more snow!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Wow, Jay. For a moment I thought your DW’d taken up trail running with ziggi and enki. Even little ladder falls are scarey. I hope she recovers quickly.

Had nothing to do with tammi bein’on the DL with her calf and the consequent possibility that she’ll get least miles this month instead of me like in October but somehow I got some incentive from somewhere for four misty miles this morning in a squirrely wind. Hope she didn’t catch it from doublecat’s calf. Maybe they’ll get better and make up for it at the Redwoods reunion. I used to get it sometimes too back in those days when I sometimes tried to run too fast too. 
                  Whew for MikeE too. I thought his DW’d gotten him that one-way ticket after she found out about all the goddesses callin’ him “Pet.”  Did you tell her about what happened in the tunnel too? 
                  Merry Christmas to double PR deezi, especially in December when it’s hard enough to run, let alone run PR fast,  Did you PR any other distances this year?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

5 on the treadmill.  Got to rush.  Trying to get as much work done before everyone disappears for a week!

TammyinGP

Had nothing to do with tammi bein’on the DL with her calf and the consequent possibility that she’ll get least miles this month instead of me like in October but somehow I got some incentive from somewhere for four misty miles this morning in a squirrely wind. Hope she didn’t catch it from doublecat’s calf. Maybe they’ll get better and make up for it at the Redwoods reunion. I used to get it sometimes too back in those days when I sometimes tried to run too fast too. 

4 mile eh? well, you have now matched me for the month. and I'm sure that'll be all the miles I get in this month too.

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks tammy.  However, I can't think of a better way to end the first half of what's been a great 70th birthday year so far than getting together with you in Wildchild's finale for 2013.   See you there.

ps - i'll be watching though in case you start feelin' better and I might need to add acouple of catch-up miles .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Just a quick post to say that Deez4boys' post last night really inspired me. You can see the joy coming out of a every word.

Jay, I hope your wife is OK. Butterfly hugs to her!

Well, posie mama has been rather busy cooking, eating and cooking some more for some more eating Smile. We have Alex, my DS David's roommate here with us for the weekend and until tomorrow. It is fun having her here. We did go ahead and have our traditional Paraguayan Christmas Eve dinner last night to give Alex a flavor of our family tradition. A smaller rendition of the same spread will be seeing at the table again on Christmas Eve .

I was up at 5am, but the road was too icy to run safely and I was not able to do any TM or Xt because I have people sleeping everywhere in the house, upstairs and downstairs I thought it would be rude to wake them up.

Cheers!

Nancy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Yikes Jay - hope your DW is doing ok and the wrist isnt broken!!

Erika -- -22!!!  there are no words for that!!

thanks Holly, Twocat and Tet -- and Tet yes, I PR'd in the 1/2 marathon distance this year as well - had almost a 9 minute PR this October at Baystate

Busy day today - adoration, mass, treadmill - 3.6 miles (wasn't taking a chance running in the freezing rain), hair color and cut, supermarket!!  Now time to wrap, cook and bake!!

Merry Merry my friends!!

denise

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Hello, everyone.

Posie, I have had a series of houseguests over the last while - Mr Impossible left a few days ago and Momz turned up today.  While she took the kids shopping, I jumped on the rollers and managed 55 minutes.  I usually have major boredom problems on trainers but found a good solution:  I fired up Bach's Cantata and Chorales for Christmas and Advent and rode it like this:  Recitatives Resting, Chorales as Cadence work, and Arias at tempo.  That was kind of fun except for when I kind of lost my balance reaching for my water bottle and nearly crashed in the garage.  Really glad my kid didn't see that or I'd never hear the end of it.

Will swim tomorrow while the pool is still open.

Mike E

MM #5615

This is a perfect example of what Ryan and I look like when we run together.  Have I ever told you guys how much I love running with this kid?