Masters Running

Thursday, August 25 runs and such (Read 503 times)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Tet - quite a marathon description yesterday.  Nice running.

OM - there's no holding you back - breakthrough coming...

For me - a little lifting, followed by 10 miles while watching Signs in the cardio cinema.  Is it just me, or does Mel Gibson seem to mumble his lines more and more?

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I'm trying to remember the movie "Signs" ..... it sounds so famiiar.

Nice job Tet!! 

Good luck Opie!!

I was out for 2.5 miles with B'Nellie this morning.   I got out of bed a little later than usual, and with her in heat and Huntley going NUTS, I figured she could use some time a way.    She is a good companion for my easy days as she is still a little leary of new things and sometimes she will suddenly stop!   She starts up again and each time we just go a little further out of her comfort zone.  She seems happier and more at ease each time we go out.

Of course, Brinkley was not to happy with me.

Today is DH's birthday.   We are having his brother and wife over for pizza around the pond.   Life is good ..... except for this da*m audit!!

Cheers!

ETA (for MikeE).... last weekend we were able to meet up with one of B'Nellie's puppies from last years litter.   He had just completed his first hunting test with NAVHDA for natural ability.   He scored 110 out of 112 points for a Prize 1!!!   We were quite excited and proud.   Here is DH and I with "Father Shamus".

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Mike E

MM #5615

Today is DH's birthday.  

What?!  No pictures?

Last night we went to another intake session at another school for Eric.  If he can't make it in this school, then he just can't make it.  They have made it so easy to pass.  Show up--turn in your work--and pass.  The problem is--showing up and turning in his work have always been major problems for Eric.  Seriously--it's almost a crime to let kids get off this easy.  The good thing is--it's right in a technical college that offers technical training in some fields that Eric has shown some interest in.  So--hopefully, something will click this time. 

It sounds like you guys on the east coast are going to get hit pretty hard over the next couple of days.  Do whatever you need to do to stay safe!

Dave59

3 easy miles with a stop at the gym to workout for a couple minutes. 

Tramps

Tet does have some unique running experiences, doesn’t he?  Nice job, Tet.

Mari—you can’t tease us with that description without posting a picture of your handiwork!

Mike—hope things work out for Eric this time.

Woke up at 1 a.m. to rattling windows and another 4.5 aftershock.  Its getting to be routine around here!

Muggies were back for an 11.2 mile easy run (8:48).  Then went up on the roof to take care of a little caulking around vents before the wet and windy weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

Saw this shirt for Ribs (any anyone else in Texas):

You know, I should have just modified my original post and added this there so I didn't clog the daily with 2 posts.

FIRST STREETRUN IN A YEAR!!!!!!

22min

including TheHillOfTerror

that

tore me up LastAugust.

ran it twice just to show-off

..........Ya Gotta Love  It..

...........................good running guys..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

BTY

FIRST STREETRUN IN A YEAR!!!!!!

22min

including TheHillOfTerror

that

tore me up LastAugust.

ran it twice just to show-off

..........Ya Gotta Love  It..

WOOT!    WOOT!

Thanks tomwhite, but does eating nachos and drinking beer qualify me in your eyes?  By the way, good job on taking the terror out of that hill.

Just for you, Mike E., the pace graph (I won't clog up this thread any more by reposting yesterday's temp graph):

My graph

That first week was the crazy coldest weather ever for the Memorial Marathon and my relay leg is the only entry.  Some of the average temp and pace in these graphs are thrown off by the treadmill runs which were generally faster and of course there was no temperature entry.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Marathon Maniac #3309

I had a hard but fun workout last night in the nice cool heat - 95 degrees. Rode my mountain bike to our reservoir and then ran the trails for 2.5 hours (16 miles round about) Was out there longer than I thought I would be, and rode back home in the dark....didn't get home till almost 10:00pm. I was bonking pretty bad riding my mountain bike back home, and wondered if I would even make it. Once home I weighed myself and I had lost 7 pounds...hence the bonk. Drank about 70 ounces of power aide and water - ate some home made baked spaghetti - and slept like a baby....even slept through my alarms and was late to work.....I feel fine today. I love long trail runs, and trail running is fun....only fell down and face planted once on a tree stump I didn't see Smile  3 hours and 46 minutes total, and my wife was really mad when I got home late. Wait a minute.....I don't have a wife Big grin

Good mid- week workout. Ya can't run very fast on these trails, as they have lots of rocks and tree roots, which you can't see very well...will be better in the fall.

Here is the stoopid tree stump I tripped and fell over (you would think I woulda saw that)....and a few other pics of the trails I run on close to our reservoir...I wonder what "Boggy Area" means ?

. CIMG1618 . CIMG1665 . CIMG1621 . CIMG1611 . CIMG1671

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wildchild

Carolyn

Opie, I don't know how you run in such hot weather!  I bailed on my trail run on Tuesday because it was 78° and sunny at the trailhead, and that's too hot.  Last night it was only 72° and overcast, and I had a great 4.7 mile trail run.  I ran an up-and-back on my favorite meadow trail, where I took Erika on Sunday.

Happy Birthday to Mr. Hopeful!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

tomwhite you are simply amazing!  In your shoes I have no idea if I would show your perseverance.  Congratulations on your first in a long time road run.  May there be many more to follow.

biketm I am simply stunned that your story did not include how you ended up in the bog!  I think you may be slipping.  Big grin

Quite busy today.  Hurricane looks like it is making a beeline for my house!  Yep, current eyeballing of the likely paths on TV makes has the average forecast putting the eye of the storm right over my place on Sunday.  Boy I hope that land mass called Long Island knock the wind out of this thing!  Better yet, there is some front west of here.  If it decides to mosey on over here somewhat faster than expected maybe that hurricane will just head off to Europe and dissipate without inconveniencing anybody.

Today was my weekly long run, which is really a MLR at this point, 14.5 miles.  The hamstrings did not complain so I am happy!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Jlynne

Just a quick fly-by posting to check in on you all and make sure you're all behaving yourselves. Not sure I like this having 2 jobs so much. Over 40 hours last week which is waaayyyyy too much for someone my age. The good news is, after 4 weeks at the bakery I can tell the difference between custard and cream-filled doughnuts Big grin  Been trying to start running a little (maybe a mile or two broken up over an 8 mile walk) and it's been pretty brutal. Plus, if the doc knew I was doing this he'd kill me. But ya gotta start sometime, right?

Let's see: love Mary's new pond (and I'm waiting for an invite for cocktails and bonfire), want to see Mariposai's new cupboards, happy belated birthday to Ribs, glad our East Coast friends survived the quake of 2011, Mike has some beautiful daughters (and good luck with your DS), Twocat is back and running well,  Mr. Tim keeps cranking out unbelievable runs, what Dove accomplished in two weeks is more than I've done in a lifetime (you rock!), congrats to Erika on some great racing, hoping that Leslie found a new set of lungs and is feeling better, and I'm glad TomW conquered the "hill of terror."

We're heading to Denver tomorrow for our DD's 40th birthday. Can't believe I have children that old. Oh wait - I was 12 when I got married! We're taking the whole family including Mr. Will and Mr. Ben so it will be an exciting weekend I'm sure.

You guys are the best and I miss you a lot. Have a great Thursday!

King of PhotoShop

Cool t-shirt Dave.  Someone posted it on FB a couple of days ago.  Great campaign.

Happy b'day to Mr. hopeful.  (Lucky man!)

3.4 slow recovery today on the dirt, then a full core workout at the Y.

I have a comment to add to the discussion on "warming up" before a quality workout such as tempo, wave or intervals and the like.  The issue is not so much about how many miles you need to warm up, as in this weather you can warm up quite easily.  The performance factor has more to do with oxygen debt.  Once you go into oxygen debt you cannot come out of it while you continue to exercise.  So the running you do after the core part of the workout is often very difficult.  Let me illustrate.

Suppose you want to run ten miles, with 4 tempo miles embedded.  Say you run 2 miles to warm up, a moderately hard 4 tempo miles, and now have 4 more easy or slow miles to "cool down."  Those last 4 miles will be very hard to do, as you are in oxygen debt.  Conversely, if you warmed up for 5 miles, then did the 4 tempo miles, you would only have to run 1 mile to finish the workout and you would likely find this much easier.

When I do a 16 mile wave run, I don't run my first MP mile until the 6th mile, so I can finish with one slow mile, just for that reason.  You may want to experiment with this yourself, but those early miles are not for warming up; they are for helping you do the workout.   Spareribs

Congrats Tom...

Just a 30 minute run today..very hot..sweating into laptop right now...argghhh. finished my run with an 800 meter downhill fast run..to see if I still remember what fast is....

It's hard to run in a 230lb body..wow....talk about work..

Now for a core strenght workout and later the 1 hour bike ride to get the little one..windy so will be hard to do 3 mile hill with the bike carrier...

Have a great day guys and gals

Tall

Recent Best times: None recently