Masters Running

Too Much Running Leads To Heart Failure? (Read 423 times)

coastwalker

Hi all,

Here is a news story about the results of an interesting study:  http://www.ivillage.com/too-much-running-can-lead-heart-failure/4-h-356653?obref=obnetwork

It is good that they added some balance to the story.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi all,

Here is a news story about the results of an interesting study:  http://www.ivillage.com/too-much-running-can-lead-heart-failure/4-h-356653?obref=obnetwork

It is good that they added some balance to the story.

Jay

i think I got it active.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

..you know,

when

Jim Fixx died,,,,,,,,I think every LardA$$ in the US rejoyced....

my favorite article

was the one saying

Running would make men's scrotums  drop

I asked

the LardA$$ telling me this

if he didn't think I would probably NOTICE that happening.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

U.M.W.B

If its gonna fail, at least I'll be doing something I enjoy when it happens Smile

U.M.W.B

#artbydmcbride

I always did think that Badwater race had to be hard on your heart ..............but regular running seems to make mine stronger.  Cool

Runners run

Marathon Maniac #3309

..I think every LardA$$ in the US rejoyced....

LOL.........I think there is truth in that. I have some non running friends that brings up runners having heart attacks and dieing. But usually they had some underlying condition that went undiagnosed

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

then you're gonna love this..

WE AVOID RISKS IN LIFE, ...SO WE CAN MAKE IT SAFELY TO DEATH

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Let me start with the important question:  Does anybody know where the study that led to this report was published?  Or its title or authors or anything that would let me look it up?  Just because something is in print it is not "true."   With those caveats let me take some guesses.  The way this study was run they took a bunch of people ran a pile of tests and this one in particular produced statistically significant results.  Was there evidence that this type of scaring led to different life expectancies?  No.  Cancer rates?  No.  Anything bad?  No.  Just an observed difference.  Good, bad, or indifferent who knows.  Having not seen the study I cannot be 100% sure but given how vague the reporter was my guess is that the picture I have outlined is the most likely.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

SteveP

No doubt there are people trying to link shaving legs as young adults to hot flashes in middle aged women. Or wearing capes to having talking dogs.

SteveP

Let me start with the important question:  Does anybody know where the study that led to this report was published?  Or its title or authors or anything that would let me look it up?  Just because something is in print it is not "true."   With those caveats let me take some guesses.  The way this study was run they took a bunch of people ran a pile of tests and this one in particular produced statistically significant results.  Was there evidence that this type of scaring led to different life expectancies?  No.  Cancer rates?  No.  Anything bad?  No.  Just an observed difference.  Good, bad, or indifferent who knows.  Having not seen the study I cannot be 100% sure but given how vague the reporter was my guess is that the picture I have outlined is the most likely.

Twocat- one would think from your post that you have some experience with research. Joking

Marathon Maniac #3309

Or wearing capes to having talking dogs.

Big grin

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!