Masters Running

Sun Master / Boomers (Read 361 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy Sunday! Any of you who are "enjoying" the H&H too much are welcome to visit here. It's 9:25 am and the temperature is 42 degrees, with deep blue sky and sunshine. I plan to take my fuzzy running buddies out for an easy run or maybe a hike in the state park a little later. The results for my half are posted - I was 1/4 in my AG, 65/99 women, and 125/167 overall. Still hard to believe that I was 1st with such a slow time. I checked the results for last year, and with my time I would have been 4th in the 50-59 AG, and I was only 49 last year so I would have been 20th in the 40-49 AG. So I guess it all depends on who shows up! Anyway, I'll take it, it was a nice surprise for my first half. Cool Steve, I love the picture. And I love the way little kids laugh, too. Vista, glad your brother came through this latest medical scare. When are you going to visit him? WRFB - when you get to your new hotel in Nevada, just ask the desk clerk where you can run. Evil grin Holly, post a picture of your kitchen when you get done! Sorry about the carpy run, the last miles sound like the end of my half yesterday - ran out of energy. They didn't provide gatorade, just water, and like an idjut I didn't carry any. Newbie mistake, I guess. Roch, maybe you could be a high-priced consultant for your boss after you retire! It might be OK to deal with the same ol things if it's not on a regular basis and if you were well paid.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

0630 temp? humidity? 30 Fabulous miles on the Road Bike while wearing brand new biking togs. Excellent morning. I like that the r.s. is training for a half IM... the weekends are choke full of distance runs and biking! SteveP, love the photo! (and the superhero discussion the other day) Holly, when you're done with those cabinets, you can come down here and work on ours. I will provide lovely new running routes for you when your work is done. You'll be aclimated in no time at all! I'm so envious of your ambition and skill in the home improvement dept. Bikeā„¢ Reading about Central IN and hoping you are on higher ground and/or have flood insurance Roy Nice recovery run under blue skies. Reger Um, yes, you and Holly are invited to my house... my countertops need attention, too... Nice run and nice hydrating big guy! VistaNice to read about your SML day. Brought back fond memories. Hope your brother finds peace and good health. KarinNice hydrating, I am a much bigger girl than you so I have more to lose... yesterday, during our 13 miler... I lost 6 pounds... I did a poor job at hydrating (and I weighed too much at the start) Good luck to DS! I love baseball, wish my kids would've played. WILDCHILD Congratulations, loved reading about your first HM! What a fantastic debut! SargeWhere are you in Eastern OH? We were just in Medina and all that. Grew up around Akron. Munchkin Hooray! The simulator is the next best thing...and will count on that bucket list, right? Have fun and take pictures! Okay... time to shower and see what's next!
      LaVita

King of PhotoShop

Today was my first ever trail run, can you believe that? Oh, do I have a lot to learn. Our club had its annual "Trail Mixer" an informal run of 4.3 miles. I stumbled and swore my way through it at a slow but very enjoyable pace. At the award ceremony I won a wine tasting party for 8 at a nearby winery, for being the biggest "winer" of the event. I admit it! 5.5 total miles, feeling fine. Tall, those were great photos of the home and beach. Steve, that was a great photo of the pup. Yesterday was Prime Rib's 20th birthday. Where did the time go? He went to the ballgame with his friends last night, so tonight will be his birthday dinner. Spareribs

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Cute picture steveP! Nice mix of runs today, many in the HH conditions. It is unreal on the east coast. Like Holly, I had my worst run. It felt ok breathing and mucle wise. It's just that the heat drained me to the bone. Here is my post analysis. What's a sweater to do?? I had the hardest 20 miler yet and I was going a nice slow pace. Temperature ranged from 71 to 90's (supposed to get to 103 today!). It took 3:17:01 (9:51 pace). It was ok in the woods but the last 4 miles with alot of blazing 90F sun was torture. My problem with the heat is the way I sweat. There is no way to replenish the fluids I started weighing 146.4 lbs. Drank 90 oz before/during the run, lost 7.2 lbs by the end of the run. Drank 2 lbs after the run and weighed in at 141.2. Total weight loss at end of run was 5% of body weight ...(Not good at all). In total I sweated 13 lbs (208 oz). Felt like carp after. I don't do heat Smile It was hilly too. I'm tired Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Renee the dog

D*mn, Steve! No run for me today. Instead, I decided to strain my knee Black eye with helping husband attempt to lift a mower out of a box. After straining knee and mower not moving much, I threw my box cutter at him and told him to cut the ding dang dern thing out of the box. (box cutter was retracted btw). I've iced and I'll walk on the beach barefoot later and hope to work out this strain so I'm ready for running tomorrow night. Great weekend reading everyone!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

"I started weighing 146.4 lbs. Drank 90 oz before/during the run, lost 7.2 lbs by the end of the run. Drank 2 lbs after the run and weighed in at 141.2. Total weight loss at end of run was 5% of body weight ...(Not good at all). In total I sweated 13 lbs (208 oz). Felt like carp after. I don't do heat."
              Dang Perch. Be careful. There are some serrious statistics in there that I'd find worrisome. Slow.Yourself.Down. Find an easy pace where you can keep the HR under control. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Henrun

Dealing with H&H here also, I wither in humidity. We had planned a bike trip for today but we had a 'rare' sleep in-7:30. By the time we got things together it was getting hot and humid. Since heat warnings were out for the elderly (70+), Marj got me out the door for a slow 2.5 run around the local reservoir, It felt good and woke me up. Tomorrow, 100 expected. Think I'll take in a movie.
                  Aamos, I'm glad to hear your husband is doing well. Ilene, nice 10K with 1st in AG. enke, I enjoyed your "radar" story. I can't remember who it was but someone else had a few posts about trying to get high numbers on their local radar. wildchild, congrats on your 1st half with 1st in AG. evan, it's neat to hear about the success of your sons' teams. teresa, congrats to your son on his success at the state track meet. Steve, nice picture of your grandson and dog. vista, sorry to hear your brother needed another trip to the hospital. It does sound like he's got a good doctor and it's neat you could give him some perspective on his fears. munch, I'm looking forward to your report on the ride in the fighter jet simulator. Nice long runs for LaVitaDolce (with rs), BC, Twocat, breger, Peter, CNY, Holly, and perch. I don't know how long it's been since I've had a "sproinky" run and todays was worse than most. It was in the low 70s with humidity but almost calm. I plodded through 8 miles in a bit over 1:20 for a 10:02 pace. It wasn't all bad, though. All night it rained, accompanied by thunder and lightning. When I was ready to go out, the bad stuff was gone and the sun was coming up in blue skies with a few nice, white, fluffy, clouds. Shortly after the five mile mark, I neared an intersection and debated between the flat road straight ahead or the flat road to the left that are my usual options. For some reason, the road to the right with a long (over half a mile), nasty (steep), hill that I've only done a couple of time in the 8 or 9 years I've been running jumped into my mind as a possibility. I don't know what possessed me to do it, but I turned right and trudged up the hill. It didn't seem much more difficult than the rest of the run and my pace was about my average for the whole run. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                  Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Hello Everyone! Even here in the PNW we've got a bit more humidity in the air, of course still in the 50s and good running conditions. ( I need positive thinking ..where I come from June means ...summer..!!!) Seafair had organized a training run this morning on part of the course of the upcoming marathon. I really wanted to try the hills so I was at the meeting point at 7am together with about 50 other runners. Nasty hills indeed...we even got to do them twice with an out and back... I was also testing the condition of my ankle/leg which did reasonably well . After 15 miles and the main hills, I decided to venture off on my own and try to get to a coffee shop closer to home where to meet DH, managed twice to get get lost, called for help as many times and finally made it to my desired destination with 17 miles in total. Back at work now, with my ice pack in place , under the desk... we'll see tomorrow if I overdid it or not!!! Good Sunday to all , near and far!!! Francesca
                      Wow, perch....that's a lot of fluids in and lost. I think you and everyone else can blame all the carpy runs on the H & H. Vista - I am sad for your brother's situation but glad he has you. Well, on the opposite side of the continent....it was 50F again today, so I started out with my gloves and rainjacket. I drank too many pints last night, stayed up late, had a carpy carpy sleep which always happens when I drink more than one, and awoke without a headache (small miracle). So I wasn't expecting much today but I did about 15.5 miles at about 10:28 pace. Actually I don't know what the pace was because I forgot to turn the unit on about three times during the run after stopping, and once I forgot to turn it off. I wish I had remembered to activate the autopause feature this morning. Anyhow, at the risk of losing the respect of the fine people on this forum, I am shamefully admitting that I stopped in at McDonalds at mile 10.5 for a large fries with extra salt and some poweraid. It was just right, even if it wasn't right. I was so hungry......please forgive me.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Perch I think you were entering the danger zone, be careful... Enke I too have stopped at McDonald's for ice water, I don't think by belly could handle fries on the run. LaVita, Youngstown is my town. Actually I now reside 18 miles south.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

steve, are you sure you didn't borrow my pelle for that picture?! they could be twins! i hope that when we get to the grandchild stage (we're still at the wedding-planning stage) pelle will have learned that children are not lambs to be nipped to be kept in line... it looks like a lot has happened in the week i've been gone - aamos, what a story - many prayers heading your way for a speedy recovery for your DH. and wildchild, an impressive time for an HM if you ask me - i would have been back there with the other slow old ladies in the AG! i can't remember when i last stopped by, but i think it was before we lost our siamese, mr spook on monday; we buried him in the new orchard beneath a cherry tree. meanwhile, we took his sister to the vet, and muffin is a healthy fat geriatric kitty. felt good to hear that. haven't had much time for running with work and sleep (and our 36th anniversary!) but finally managed my longest run for the year - 7 miles, though the garmin decided to die, or at least wouldn't wake up, so i have no other stats (do all garmins die at exactly one year and one week of age?) good runs, susan
                          spacityrunner

Foot has been cranky. Don't know why. But, I have continued to swim. I have not even walked for fitness. my June calendar is a big fat zero. Cry My little walk/run group at work starts on Tuesday...and I may not be able to walk with them. Go figure. I have an appointment to see my fav P/T tomorrow. He does not participate in my insurance so I will be paying out of pocket, but I trust him. So, it will be worth it. Foot does not hurt "alot". But, with my history with this PF, a little is too much. I see Ribs was in DC...but did he call me, NO. Tall, those pics are great...both of them. Vista, you always have the best words to offer. Thanks Amy: WOW Shocked What you and your hubby have experienced. Prayers for a quick and uneventful recovery. Holly, chewy caramel sounds just delish for a kitchen. My kitch/liv room is painted "norman brown". It really is a great color, even tho the name is questionable(its not brown at all). I know everything happens for a reason, I really do believe that. Why I still can't run, I haven't figured out, but I am trying to stay positive. Well, thats all for my weekly post. I am so glad you are all here.

Trails Rock!

Tramps

Forgot to post earlier. Did a fun run 5K in the heat and humidity--just the way I like it. Already in the 80s at 8:00 am. Needless to say it was ugly even at a ridiculously slow 8/min pace. 24:50 total. I looked it up and I did once have a slower 5K so, technically, it's not my personal worst. On the plus side, I didn't have a long run scheduled today.

Be safe. Be kind.

You might recall I mentioned a while ago that a coworker/friend of mine was doing his 1st Full Marathon having only done 15 miles as his longest run. I think he may have had the kind of day I was afraid he might encounter - he finished in 5:21:51. I hope he's okay and just decided to walk many miles of it. I'm anxious to hear what he has to say. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong