Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 10.14.14 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Sounds like a great mini meet-up at the Tufts 10K yesterday. I'm sorry Robin had such a tough time with the slow folks, but getting a HF from Joanie had to be a great way to finish up.

IRC for me is Ideal Racewalking (or Racing) Conditions. Not being a runner, I have to use something else that fits.

6 RW miles in 57F degrees and under overcast skies this morning, so there was precious little moonlight to light my way. It was a slight bit muggy, and there was some ground fog to make things interesting, but it was otherwise uneventful. I have an early half marathon race committee meeting this morning, after which I'm heading to a funeral for a neighbor (only a week older than me) who passed away late last week. Later this afternoon, I'll start filling the woodshed with the 1.5 cord of firewood that was dumped in our driveway yesterday, so it is going to be quite a varied day today.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...good mornin' jay..

the YMCA informed me this morning, they lost my check and want me to pay them again

and

everything

thing else either broke,

or sprung a leak

....this is stacking up to be The October of Terror......

=========

..34mpr deo

trunks stayed on.............Life is Good........

...............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

good morning all.  Jay, I guess it's a sign of aging when the funerals start being more for contemporaries than parents.

TW--silver linings are everywhere.

5.1 miles this morning in the return of summer weather in NE.  60 and muggy for my lake lap.  Definitely drippy shorts weather.  It's supposed to be around most of the week, I think.  At least until it pours on Thursday.  this run was my first in my new Sketchers GoRun 3's that Amy has talked about.  They felt very little different than my Pure Connects, which I would consider a good thing.  8 miles with them next and we'll see how that goes.  I'm really hoping they work out, because they're on sale for less than half of the Brooks at one of their outlets right near me at work.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

BlazinCajun

Darn - posted on yesterday's thread so here is a re-post:

Jay - Post some fire wood photos

TW - All Hollows Eve is still off a bit

Stumpy77 - Good job running in the humidity - I need some new shoes as well - my trail shoes have over a 1,000 miles

No running for me yesterday - installed two floor receptacles around our couch yesterday. Finally could check that off the to-do list from the addition.

Ran around seven (drippy shorts as well) this morning before the weather moves in.

Andrew
          ------------------
          God, my Lord, is my strength;
          he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
          and enables me to go upon the heights.
          Hb 3:19

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Busy day as I try to get caught up before I leave on vacation.  I shudder to think what the workload will look like when I return....

5.3 easy-paced miles for me this morning on the TM due to rain.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

just popping in to say hello. no running today. working all day, then have a board meeting this evening. it'll be a late night for me.

Tammy

Sayhey! MM#130

Holly wrote (yesterday):

"No run for me on Monday, just 30 minutes of weights and core."

Just?  Yikes, that takes fortitude.    Oh, and if you are reading this Holly, which you prolly are not since you are trying to get you & your crew out the door and onto vacation.......it could be the rain forecast is what we have here in the summer, which is rain in the afternoon, usually in spots and not for all that long.  Kind of a tropical sort of thing, nothing to ruin the day, or so I'm hoping for you.  Have a fantastic tiem, As IF you need me to tell you that!

Hope those shoes treat you as well as mine have been treating me, Kevin.  I use them for a lot of training runs.  I have become quite enamoured of a pair of Pumas that I've worn for almost every marathon I've run this year, starting with Reston in late March.  I didn't wear them for the 50k or for Leading Ladies, but have for all the others and they are still looking good.  I only use them for marathons, so that's part of it, but they're good; light but some support and flexible.

So a little farther and faster this am, but still going easy.  8 miles in around a 9+ minute pace in 75 degrees.

Hang in there, tw--it's not the middle of the month quite yet; here's to turning things around.

OK, now that I know what IRC is, what are floor receptacles, BC?

Sorry about your neighbor, JAy.

Hope we all enjoy our day today and are here tomorrow to do it again!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sayhey! MM#130

just popping in to say hello. no running today. working all day, then have a board meeting this evening. it'll be a late night for me.

doing the Jay thing, all work and meeting day    Thanks to all you who volunteer and take care of business for all around you.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

BlazinCajun

OK, now that I know what IRC is, what are floor receptacles, BC?

The same as electrical wall outlets but in the hardwood floor. Guess I left out the electrical part

Andrew
                    ------------------
                    God, my Lord, is my strength;
                    he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                    and enables me to go upon the heights.
                    Hb 3:19

Dave59

I am in day 2 of Florida and Annabelle withdrawal.  4.36 miles today.

Watching the Tufts 10k would have been fun.

evanflein

Busy day here for me, too. Just wanted to pop in briefly before meetings start. And not fun meetings like Jay gets to do.

Holly, what Amy said. I bet it won't be "rainy" but days with some rain, probably in the afternoon. Not familiar with where you're going, but when we were in Puerto Vallarta many years ago, I don't think we saw a cloud in the sky the entire time. I hope you have a work-sharing agreement in your office to help with vacations. Anything less is pretty unfair.

Since Kevin and Amy brought up shoes, I just have to share that I've been a big fan of the Asics Gel Speedstars, which have been discontinued. I've had a helluva time finding shoes I like to replace those. Have found a liking for the Brooks Pure Flow, but also found out they're terrible in mud! Very slick, no traction whatsoever. That's why I wore my old Asics at Equinox, but those were probably not much better due to tread wear. I also have the Asics Fuji Racer trail shoes, which I really like but they seem to be long in the toe or something... lots of falls on a rooty trail race. So now I have found the New Balance 1400's. Not sure if they're old and discontinued, but they probably are since I always buy stuff on sale. But they're very light and very comfortable. Have worn then on the TM, in FL and on bike paths here. Enke, have you tried these?

Yesterday did end up being a rest day, and today my calf feels much better. Don't even notice it, in fact. I'll take advantage of another nice day here (partly sunny, temps in low 30's and NO snow) for an easy run later this afternoon to see how the calf feels.

Yesterday did end up being a rest day, and today my calf feels much better. Don't even notice it, in fact. I'll take advantage of another nice day here (partly sunny, temps in low 30's and NO snow) for an easy run later this afternoon to see how the calf feels.

Funny how "nice day" really is quite relevant!!  Today was a nice day for me here in MA - 59 and balmy -- love it!!

Ran 6.4 miles with 2 easy for warmup then .2 mile pickups with .1 mile recovery x 10 (was supposed to be 8 but I lost count )  then another 1+ easy to cooldown

Glad the injuries for Erika, MikeE, Robin seem to be improving!!  Happy Tuesday all!!

denise

Mariposai

Glad the injuries for Erika, MikeE, Robin seem to be improving!!  Happy Tuesday all!!

I was thinking the same. Holly is doing much better too.

Hi Tamster. Are you done with the veggie garden? The extended warm days we have had in the last three weeks revived my tomato plants again and I was able to harvest a box full of ripe tomatoes last night. One last batch of marinera sauce is in the making.

6 dark miles with my ROCKing RP this morning. Gym Diva night at the gym tonight.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Amy - I surely hope that you are right, because right now the forecast says 80% chance of thunderstorms every single day we are there.  We really pulled out all the stops on this dream vacation and I really hope it isn't a disappointment because we may not have the money to do this again for a long time...

Erika - work-share?  Sadly, I am the only one who does what I do in the office, so it just piles up when I am gone.  I have been warning clients l since last week that I will be gone, though, so hopefully they will hold off or at least understand that I will not be here.

TAking an idea from Wildchild, I have procured rain ponchos for the family in case it rains on our excursions to the Mayan ruins.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

We really pulled out all the stops on this dream vacation 

Dream vacation and you aren't coming to Michigan?  Doesn't make sense.