Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 6.20.14 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I'm sorry to have been among the missing yesterday. It was just one of those days...

Nice start yesterday, AD. Good luck getting salt on that bunny's tail!

We would love to have you back out in the heat too, TW. Any update on the schedule for that hip surgery - aren't you tying it to your retirement?

I saw an interview with that 11 year-old last night, Fletch. She won me over when she said that, instead of heading out to the practice greens, she was going for ice cream. She's got her priorities right.

Have fun with David's running group, Tammy.

I'm also glad that you get to work from home on Fridays, Holly. And I see nothing wrong with you thinking it'd be a good day for a long run - you've got your priorities right too!

I'm glad your recovery is going so well, Ribs, but am sorry that it means leaving The Saint behind on your runs.

I'm glad you got a good night's sleep, Leslie, even with the cats around. Sure does sound like you needed it!

Good luck on your presentation today, Enke! I bet you'll do great.

Evanflein, you just go from one household project to another, don't you? I'm sorry about all the rain you're getting, but I'm glad it stopped and brightened up so you could get in a good run yesterday.

Nice fizzy and spinerooni, PBJ. Welcome back to morning workouts.

Yeah, Mariposai - where is Taperboy? Nice sunrise run yesterday.

Yay!  A Trackrat's in the house! Bummer about the head implosions. I hope you get the mess cleaned up for the weekend. 

Nice 5K yesterday, LaT.

I woke at 3, lollygagged for 45 minutes, got up, and was out the door by 4. I got in 6.7 satisfying RW miles in delightful 56F temps and dry air. I even got to see a glorious and very colorful pre-sunrise, as the orange/pink sun below the horizon lit up the few clouds above it.

Have a greta last day of Spring! (Summer starts tomorrow morning at 6:51.)

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Monning, Jay, 3 a.m. Is plenty early even for you!  I was missing yesterday too and slept in til 6 this morning without waking once. That is a first.

holly, so glad a out flex time with work. I cannot do that since the customers are here in the office. Ribs say hi to the lovely Saint for me.

Last night I went to the Y and swam until I was ready to puke. That was the worst feeling ever. After I got home had yogurt and rested a bit I was able to get in a 7 mile bike ride. After supper we packed all the groceries for our family of 12. Leaving for the cabin(s) "up North" on Saturday. Yippee! I am trying to keep the meals simple and done ahead; tacos, BBQ, hamburgers, brats, chicken fajitas, lasagna and spaghetti. We have a cabin for the kids with kids and one for us and DD1. They are on their own for breakfast and lunch.

Still thinking about that triathlon coming up in a month. Thanks for scaring me to death, Tetsujin! I will have time to ride on the 34 mile Heartlad Trail. It will be 20 mile round trip to Park Rapids. Maybe AZtoMNtrails will join me! I will practice my first ¼ mile open water swim with the support of a paddleboat or canoe beside me. I have a butload of work to do today before I can leave. I am anxious for relaxing time at the beach and in the water. See you all when I get back (unless there is wi-fi there). We are at www.royalstarrresort.com

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

King of PhotoShop

Thanks Jay and Starr.  It's working out okay as she runs 2-3 miles at a slow jog, just under 11 min/mile, then she walks home while I run until 5 miles.  That's what we did again today.  I ran a total of 5 miles at 10:07 pace, the final mile at 9:13, so it's 2 slow, then 3 at a quicker pace.  So I have 30 in for the week with tomorrow yet to come. I may go short tomorrow so I can have a longer run on Sunday.

Can't believe my Hudson turns 18 tomorrow. Where did the time go?  Spareribs

TammyinGP

Hudson is 18 tomorrow??!! wow! Happy early birthday to him!

Joined with David's group this morning. Of course, he's now running with the speedy highschoolers and got in about 6 miles. I ran with the younger kids and got in 3.3 mi.  Later today I'll start getting the supplies and items needed for a dog adoption event I'm running tomorrow.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay and Lollygagging - never would have thought those two words would happen in the same sentence...

Happy Birthday Hudson!

I set out at 5:30 am with my friend Carissa and we ran 10 miles in the rain together. Then at home I hopped on the TM for 4 more, so 14 miles total.

Today DH and I are celebrating our wedding anniversary.  We have golf league tonight, but there's a 50% chance of thunderstorms, so we may end up going out for dinner instead.  We shall see.

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

When I saw coastwalker's comment about A Trackrat's head imploding I thought it had to do with, well you know problems with porcelain!    Most homes in my town, including mine, have septic systems which can cause occasional issues like that!  Anyway, I am glad it appears to be much less serious in this case!

Holly S. I figure that if I work from home that saves me about 90 minutes on the road that day which is half the time I then spend on the week's long run.  So if you would normally run 90 minutes on a work day, and add to that the time you save driving it is all even!

evanflein a race that starts at 10pm just seems so weird!  I hope it is not as miserable a day evening for a race as the weather forecast indicates.

Fletch_NC my solution to the golf = humiliation issue was to give it up.  I had some help.  I broke both my hands in a skiing accident and could not play for a year.  Then I never took the sport back.  On the plus side, it saves me a pile of money and a lot of humiliation.  Not to mention frustration, loss of self esteem, fits of anger, . . . 

I got out for a 6 mile run today.  Things are definitely on the the mend.  But I am not 100% yet.  I am going to toddle around the half marathon on Sunday.  Then reassess whether I need another week or two off.  On the way back home I saw one good sign that the local housing market is starting to recover.  A few years ago the builders in the area were in complete hibernation.  Now, they are back to putting up houses whenever they can get hold of a lot with an older structure.

Local tear down.

I tell you, it is a lot faster to take down a house than to put one up!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Happy birthday Hudson, and Happy Anniversary Holly!  Just remember that the XXth anniversary is the Tupperware anniversary.

With the kids sleeping in, I was able to hit the gym early (4:15).  Fizzy lifting, a 5 miler on the TM in the cardio cinema while watching "The Day the Earth Stopped", and then spinnerooni. That sure felt good.

Enjoy the weekend everyone - we're supposed to have perfect weather here in CT.

Fletch

No running for me today, but wanted to quickly check-in before heading to the course.

Jay - gotta love those early morning run/walks.  I think a sunrise is one of nature's true beauties!  Yes, Lucy, the 11 year old, is quite a kid.  I hung around the putting green yesterday watching her practice (after her ice cream break).  She's serious about golf, but still just a kid, laughing, smiling, chatting with her friends, etc.

StarrRuns - the resort looks like a lot of fun.  Hope you and your family have a great time!

Ribs - Happy Birthday to Hudson!  I'm late to the game here, but I gather from your posts that you are building back up to your prior running level after surgery.  If it's not too meddling to ask, what and when was the surgery (if you've previously posted details, I don't expect you to re-hash it for me.  If I know where to look, I can read the post)?

Tammy - kudos to you for running the dog adoption event.  We have three rescues, and DW and I are big supporters of our local adoption agencies.

Holly - Happy Anniversary!  Nice 10 miler.  I LOVE running in the rain!

Twocat - Nice 6 miler.  I love playing golf, but I only reached that level of enjoyment when I stopped taking it so seriously, and just decided to enjoy being out there. I know I'll never be really good at it, and I'm ok with that.  I just look at it as a way to spend time in the beautiful wooded areas next to the fairways, which is where my ball usually winds up.  Who wants to be out in the blazing sun in the short grass in the middle of the fairway, right?

Happy Days!

Fletch

...fletch//.......my GolfPro

told me to work on the Weak Part of My Game>>>so I stopped keeping score,

it

emphasized the ""Play'' over the ''Golf"" part of the game

double wgt sessions today

poolrun tomorrow

................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

nice! thanks for what you two do also. I am on the Board of Directors of our non-profit partner with the Animal Shelter and we hold about 2 off site adoption events a month. too many people don't like going to a shelter - it can be depressing. so we hold events around town plus it gives many dogs a day out of the shelter, which they need also.

Tammy - kudos to you for running the dog adoption event.  We have three rescues, and DW and I are big supporters of our local adoption agencies.

Tammy

Dave59

Howdy folks!  Its been a pretty good day.  I took the day off work so I slept in a little bit extra and then went for a 10-mile run.  I was going to go 7 but I felt pretty good so I decided to stretch it to double digits.  I started out really slow because my back has been sore, but once I was out there for a few miles it was feeling pretty good.

I have 17 days of vacation left (16 now) and a massively busy schedule for the rest of the year, so even though I had no plans today I took one of my days to relax since it was convenient.  We can't carry over any unused days at this company.  I did attend a 10:00 am meeting because we were deciding on the 4 people we were hiring to help with the work. That was a meeting I did not want to miss.  I will be getting 2 of them on my team.  The top candidates are both women.  We used to be a programming shop made up of men and women pretty equally, but the last year or so it has been all guys.  So I hope these 2 do come on the team and bring some much needed common sense to the all male group. 

This will be a new experience for me.  I have been maintaining the core programs of our claim system pretty much by myself for the last 15+ years.  We are making some major enhancements so we can standardize the whole company on one system.  I'll be directing one person in the dental claim system and one in the medical.  I'll be spending the next 2-3 weeks trying to get prepared to give them all they need to know to get up to speed as fast as possible

In answer to Wednesday's topic about being a winner, I feel like I have made some great progress since March handling stress and anxiety.  It turns out to be a great thing I drank a bunch of coffee and popped some cold medicine on an empty stomach and sent my heart into 30 hours of craziness.  I would have never learned all I have learned since then.  I had really let the stress build over the past few years to a point where I wasn't handling it well at all.  Now I the most relaxed I've been in years about everything.  If what we are trying to do at work had come along without what I have just come through I don't think I would have made it.

Mariposai

Happy birthday to Hudson.

Holly enjoy your anniversary.

PBJ, Tupperware anniversary.  Funny.

5 miles of running a few miles of biking with my son Daniel. Life is good.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Wow, really? Nothing since Mariposai posted at 11:22?

I had a pretty good day off, never get all the things what I wanted to get done, but still a good day. Got a nice 6.5 mile run in mid-day, then went to go shopping and run some errands. Now we'll grill lamb burgers for dinner and probably watch a soccer game.

Dave - congratulations on learning how to handle stress better.

Jay - you must just be one of those persons with a slightly shifted circadian rhythm.  I saw a TV show on it once (so it is fact!).  Usually those people make great morning news anchors on TV, since they need to be up at 3am.

Starr. wow a triathlon?  I guess I haven't been reading the dailies enough.  Enjoy the resort and swimming!

Twocat - it is kind of sad seeing what appears to be a functional house being demolished to make room for something more modern and extravagant.  But, that's just me!  I realize the local market dictates these things.

My presentation today went well....at least no major gaffes and my voice didn't quaver too much.  I am not sure the microphone was turned on, but I talk fairly loudly in these situations anyway.  Cute professor (and I strongly sense a mutual crush here) told me I did a good job.  Unfortunately, cute prof is very married.  Sad   Sad   Oh well, someday the planets will align!!

My son graduated from grade 8 today.  I wasn't there, because I had that presentation to give.

But I wanted to share something with my RA friends.  Sometimes teachers will send the students postcards at the end of the year, as little inspirational messages to the kids.  My son got one from his band teacher.  My son is NOT talented with his instrument, but this is what the teacher said "you are a positive and enthusiastic student with an amazing quiet sense of humor (he is introverted) and genuine leadership.  I appreciate how hard you work, the great improvement you have made and the way you say "Thank You" at the end of class."

I was floored.  My kid, so polite.  And this is just who he is.  This was not his mother telling him he had to behave like this, or setting some kind of example for him.

Enjoy the weekend!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

That was nice enke.