Masters Running

Monday November 17 Snowy Runs and Workouts (Read 34 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

We woke up to this....

Schools were first put on a 2-hour delay, then cancelled altogether.  I am logged in, working remotely from home, but will be heading out soon to the office.  I delayed it a bit, hoping the roads would be more clear.  I wish I could just stay home to work all day, but there are matters at the office that need my attention. 

No run for me today, just 35 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Last week I made a goal to run 50 miles for the week which would be a new personal milestone. I made it with 50.07 miles. It was just something to do.

This week is back to my normal 20-30 miles per week, plus I want to get consistent with going to the gym again.  Hopefully at least 2 times a week.  I went this morning and did a circuit on the machines.  I am giving my running legs a day off.

mrrun

Only rain around here but lots of snow pics on FB. Opted for yoga class and got rid of lots of aches.  Will try to do more often

marj

King of PhotoShop

Sent an email to my client in Dayton, OH to ask for a time we can talk by phone later this week and haven't heard back from her. Now I see Holly's post and assume the poor woman has other concerns today.  Thanks for filling me in Holly.

Walked a lap, jogged a half mile and walk a lap, with no discomfort. So I assume I am okay and will run slowly tomorrow with the Saint.  Spareribs

Greta racing, Tramps and stumpy! Glad to see RA folks getting together.

I'm starting a new list of people who were left off of Ribs' list.

Wow -- early for a snow day, Holly! Those were always my DS's favorite event and usually meant cookie baking in the PM...

After the weather forecasts calling for mid-20s, windy, and snow for yesterday morning, it turned out to be about 30, dry, and just a light breeze for my Kona Chocolate Run 10K yesterday in Plymouth, MI. Everything went according to plan, but when I looked up the results and compared them to last year, it turned out to be more of a Ground Hog Day race: I ran within 6 seconds of the same time (54:33); I finished 2nd of 9 in my AG again; and I got beat by the same guy by the same margin of several minutes! Maybe next year I'll just phone it in. Or I'll just wait two years when I move into a higher AG. 

By the way, this run has some of the best SWAG for a 10K that I've seen around here:

A 1/4-zip pullover shirt/jacket, a nice warm winter cap, and an attractive medal (still not sure about medals for a 10K, but...). I've done HMs that weren't this well done.

Have a good start to the week, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Sayhey! MM#130

Good still just barely morning here on the east coast,

So Ribs, no snow there?  None here either   (o c'mon, we just endured months of H&H so we get a few grins now....)

Reading Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, by Jamie Ford, about Japanese internment in Seattle during WW2.  Very interesting, as the narrator is a 12 year old Chinese boy (and later, his adult self).  The author's note tells us Mr. Ford is "the great-grandson of Nevada mining pioneer Min Chung, who emigrated in 1865 from Kaiping, China, to San Frncisco, where he adopted the Western name "Ford," thus confusing countless generations."   Back when I was very young (still in that developmental stage of parents being all-powerful) and first learned about the Japanese camps, I asked my mom: "How did you let this happen?"

I mention it as I just watched a movie, "One Week," a Canadian film about a young man who, upon learning he has stage-IV cancer, buys a motorcycle and sets west across Canada from Toronto.  WHile this seems a real downer description, it is truly an entertaining, enjoyable film.  (Beautiful footage of Canada [also some quirky shots--the protagonist likes to visit large statues, e.g., a dinosaur, paper clip, prairie camel...] and nicely ironical.)  Likewise the book is--at least so far--lively, and the author is not afraid to employ his sense of humor despite the subject matter.

I'm so happy that I managed to get packed for Philly this weekend (all but the running watch, etc.), always a goal but not often attained.

How are Stumpy and Tramps feeling today??  Any DMS going on, gents?

Veddy, veddy slow 10K for me this morning, took my time (over an hour) just enjoying it all.  I think we even get cold (cool?) tomorrow or Wednesday.....

Make it a good Monday,

grins,

A

modified to add:  At least you are not losing ground roch!  Greta run, and indeed!  I've run (a number of, to remain nameless) marathons without nearly such super swag!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Roch just got me on that list idea. Good one!

Aamos, 41 and raining yesterday.  31 and clear as a bell this morning. Felt like 45.

Here's today's Dallas Morning News post. I'm putting it here because it involves losing speed and performance as we age:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2014/11/the-two-biggest-reasons-why-youre-running-slower.html/

Spareribs

Tramps

Dave--nice milestone achievement!

Roch--wow, that is some schwag....and for a 10K, too.  At least you're consistent in your racing!

No snow here, but plenty of rain.  I'd planned on heading out for a couple of gentle miles but it was just pouring this morning so I decided to wait another day.  I'll get plenty of walking in today.

I've got a 30-year-old in the office across the hall from mine who ran the race.  He's a cyclist and long-distance "adventure" runner (up to a 50-miler) but this was his first road marathon.  Nice guy.  We had a chat about the race and I talked him into coming up and running my local 1/2 in a few weeks.  Afterward, I couldn't resist checking his results online.  At the half, he was leading me by 11 minutes.  At the finish, I beat him by 4 minutes.  Classic tortoise and hare. 

Hope the Philly folks get great weather this weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy, nice marathon.  marj, I expect you had a great birthday party with your granddaughter.  Dave, congrats on the 50 mile week.  roch, nice swag and finish of 2nd in AG.

Nice long runs for Mike, evan, Aamos, and Holly.

This morning, it was about 30° and there was just a light breeze.  I did 6 miles at a 10:57 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

C-R

Hey all.

That is nice swag roch.

Cut back weeks are good Dave. Congrats on the new high. Time to go for 51.

I watched a documentary about Terry Fox recently. Don't know if you all recall. Brought back some memories from the early 80's. Very inspiring. I'll have to look up that movie you mentioned A.

Glad things seem on the mend ribs.

Funny Tramps. A few years ago a fellow RA member was trying to have a match race with me at a marathon. I wasn't interested but he persisted. Well come race day, I'm all set to run my race and go for my plan. Didn't run into the other guy at the start and was ok with it. Ran a good race and lo and behold checked the finish times and it seems I passed him in the last mile. Never heard a peep from him again. Glad I ran my own race but it did give me a slight grin.

Nice consistency Tom.

Just managed an easy 7 in some freezer like weather. Holly got more snow than we did but its still middle of November. Weather guy says the expected low tonight will set a new record. The last one was established in 1886. Didn't know they even tracked that far back.

Stay warm out there folks.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

GOOD JOB TRAMPS!!!!!!!!
                        You make us proud to be old.
                        Keep runnin’ sub-fours as long as you can.
                        I thought you were going to say he ran 3:01 or 2:47 or something.
                        Holy halibut, doug.
                        Way to stave off Father Time too.
                        SWAGS: Ironman entries cost $700 and more nowadays and they only give a knapsack, T-shirt and medal, . . . but they let you pay more hundreds of dollars for event photos, caps, visors, jackets, duffle-bags, etc.  What was your 10K entry fee?  Maybe I’ll enter next year and you can pick up my SWAG.

Reading Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, by Jamie Ford, about Japanese internment in Seattle during WW2.  Very interesting, as the narrator is a 12 year old Chinese boy (and later, his adult self).  The author's note tells us Mr. Ford is "the great-grandson of Nevada mining pioneer Min Chung, who emigrated in 1865 from Kaiping, China, to San Frncisco, where he adopted the Western name "Ford," thus confusing countless generations."   Back when I was very young (still in that developmental stage of parents being all-powerful) and first learned about the Japanese camps, I asked my mom: "How did you let this happen?"

.Amy -
                        I assumed “Bittersweet” was a West Coast book. 
                        How’d’ya find it in Florida?  \

Of course, you’re no regular Florida flicka either, or anything else but super unique and special in everything you do.  I grew up with second-and-third generation kids I thought just happened to have parents and grandparents from Japan just as mine were from Sweden. Nobody in my high school class of 100 students had any idea our classmates had been removed to “relocation” camps in their pre-school years with their parents.  Unlike you, none of us even knew enough to ask our parents about it, either. .

Re the Panama Hotel here in Seattle.  
                        Even lots of Japanese have no idea it has anything to do with Japan but, as I still recall from my grandfather's explanation when I asked him in the summer of 1969 if there had been any equivalents to the moon landing (and President Kenndy) when he was growing up, it was the completion of the Panama Canal (and President Roosevelt) so it's no wonder the hotel was named after it by immigrants who loved the United States.

The current owner is a friend of my age/era who has transformed all the pre-WWII household  and personal memorabilia that internees never returned to pick-up into a museum, . . to say nothing of the authentic Japanese sento (public bath) in the basement.   Maybe I’ll trick Ribs into going there.  I’ll take you for lunch when you get back here, . . . and anyone else who’s ever in town and interested too.  It’s only four blocks away and I walk by the hundreds of pre-war dolls in the window everyday.

ps - I’m afraid to read rib’s Dallas Morning News post about losing speed and performance with age but maybe it only goes up to age 69 though and leaves the wors, . ..  I mean what happens after that to future installments.  Fortunately, it's just as much fun, if not more so, to be able to run the same 26.2 miles for six-or-seven hours, or more, instead of only a measly four hours or so.

pps C-R: I ran a Terry Fox 10K even in Japan.  I guess Terry wasn't able to finish his trans-continental Canada run on a prosthetic in those days and I've often wondered if anyone (or ones) ever finished it for him.  Maybe sal knows.

ppps holly - I wanna set x-c ski tracks through those trees.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Holly S. your DH clearly missed the class "lessons for male adolescents in post party interaction."  That picture you posted today looks absolutely horrifying!

SteveP have you been out in the woods again wearing your big foot as batman outfit?

tomwhite you were riding a bike in rain turned sleet?  Heck, you can skip the mushrooms!

deez4boyz if it makes you feel any better they are not sure what causes cramps.  I took it slow at the start of my marathon last week and felt my left calf sending warning signals that it was all set to cramp up at the slightest provocation.  There is apparently some actual evidence (I have not personally checked so this is just hearsay) that pickle juice helps ward off cramps during physical activities.

evanflein how do you wind up with poor air quality this time of year?  I understand what is going on when there is a forest fire nearby.  But, I would have thought that otherwise the air where you are would be pristine.

Mike E remember to send that plumber a six pack for Thanksgiving!

Mariposai you would run faster and longer without all that yakking.

tetsujin209 hmm, I thought it was SteveP out in the woods . . . now that you mention it was it you out there . . . ?  

Dave59 that was your first ever 50+ mile week?  Congratulations!

mrrun no snow?  Be happy, be very happy!

rochrunner that would be the kind of take that would certainly get my DW to sign up for a race!  She really, and I mean really, loves a race with good swag!

AamosY well I sure hope you are not like me!  All packed expect for . . . translates into all packed except for plus the few other critical items I forgot!  At Savannah it was the clip to attach my bib to my bib belt.  

Spareribs that does it, I am getting a bike for my next foot race!  The heck with this slower race times as I get older!!!  

Tramps and C-R I call that the one advantage we acquire from aging in foot races:  pacing!

tselbs cold mornings are alas upon us.  

Another non-running day for me.  Just as well it is cold and raining outside.  Yuck!  Tomorrow will just be cold and sunny.  Yuck!  Where is that ticket to Florida?  I know it must be around here someplace!  Alas, I suspect it is time to break out the heavy running gear.    I may give a few miles a shot tomorrow morning or perhaps Wednesday.  Oh great, I see my program just bombed out again!  Okay, back to debugging.  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tetsujin209 hmm, I thought it was SteveP out in the woods . . . now that you mention it was it you out there . . . ?  

It's a sad commentary that Sasquatch is the only other barefoot runner appearing herein.

Maybe I'll grow a beard too.  It doesn't seem to grow anywhere else anymore.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

mrrun

Twocat - I cooked your cauliflower couscous recipe tonight - we scoffed it down with enchiladas - thanks!

marj

Hi all,

No snow here yet - thank goodness!!  We did get an inch or two last week and I can tell you I am SO NOT READY for winter!!

Poured all day long so took my workout to the gym today -- not chancing running in the rain, cold or dark this week!!

4.2 miles on the treadmill with some .5 mile pickups, some upper body work and abs --- had a great 90 minute massage by someone who really knows the muscles and is recommended by PT's -- feel so much better everywhere!!  Then went to a warm yoga class tonight -- not super hot like Bikram but nice - good for the stretching.  I should sleep good tonight!!

Aamos -  you are so ahead of me, but I did make out my list of items to pack!!

Roch -- you are still #1 to us!!  Did everyone get that 1/4 zip shirt??  Great swag!!

Dave - nice job on reaching your goal last week!!  I don't think I've ever had a 50 mile week!!

C-R - loved that race story!!

I'm not looking at the weather for Sunday, not looking at the weather, not looking at the weather.......ok - I'm peaking!!

denise