Masters Running

Saturday 08-09 rise and shine - it's another weekend - and the sun is shining! (Read 432 times)

Dave59

Dave, good run with a negative split, but I must ask, was that a Freudian slip? My heart and lungs always give out before my kegs.
    Didn't see that one. Big grin It's less of a slip than it is from using my notebook computer with a smaller font than I am used to on my big monitor. (I could increase the size of the font with a couple easy clicks but I thought I was seeing things clearly.)

DickyG

Just turned on the TV to watch some of the Olympics...you gotta be kidding! Our cable system (Comcast) has it on 6 different channels... NBC OSOCR (soccer only, I think) OBBAL (basketball only (?)) USA MSNBC UNIHD You guys are welcome to come over to my house & watch...I'm heading out to the golf course. DickyG

I Can Go The Distance

Long Wave Run this morning of 13 miles. The weather was great, 67F and 78%H. I finally found a course that I can do a wave run on. I ran 9 miles out on the road and then the last 4 at the track. There is still some elevation changed on the road but not like my hilly course that I tried to use last week. Goal paces: MP 8:40 HMP 8:10 Road Mile 1: 11:36 WU Elv change +140 Mile 2 21:36 (9:39) WU Elv change -84 Mile 3 31:20 (10:04) easy pace EC +49 Mile 4 39:56 (8:35) MP EC -87 Mile 5 49:39 (9:43) easy pace EC +70 Mile 6 58:23 (8:43) MP -32 Mile 7 1:08:17 (9:54) easy pace EC +94 Mile 8 1:16:29 (8:12) HMP EC -114 Mile 9 1:26:00 (9:30) easy pace EC -5 Track Mile 10 1:34:17 (8:17) HMP Mile 11 1:44:00 (9:43) easy pace Mile 12 1:52:23 (8:22) HMP Mile 13 2:02:06(9:48) Cool-down mile Slowed down a little on the last two HMP miles, but this was my first wave run so I am happy with the times. Total: 13 miles 2:02:06 (9:24/mile pace). Have a great weekend everyone and good luck to those who are racing. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Sarge, nice 5K and I'm glad your hamstring is ok. Tall, it sounds like you and your girls had a great vacation. The pictures were neat. That's a big nornthern pike and, yes, they can be nasty. Taking the hook out with pliers is mandatory and even that is not always safe. That chair looks pretty fancy to me. Holly, it appears you are doing a good job about recovering wisely. You had a nice run/walk this morning. Nice long runs for busi, maine, perch, CNY, lame, Jogger, Dave, Sarge, and BC. This morning it was a pleasant one, about 60 and with a light wind. I got in 8 miles in about 1:14:30 for a 9:19 pace. It seemed hard, especially the last several miles, but that's one of my faster runs in months, one of the longer ones, and I had negative splits by over a minute and a half. I wasn't consciously trying to push the pace, it just happened. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Steve, I don't think a 1:40 is in the cards. My PR is 1:45, so anything better than that would be grand. But I'm not feeling it. (funny how I feel like I'm letting you down more than me??)
            Oh no, didn't want to put on pressure, just what you might be capable once the planets align Smile. I hope during the race you find your groove! The planets don't seem to be aligned but you never know.. Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

King of PhotoShop

Okay Bruce, here is your next training instruction and I insist you follow it rigidly: For the rest of today, every time you think of your workout, I want to see a huge smile on your face! Well done! (Remember that tomorrow is a short, SLOW run.) Nice long one Sarge. Erika, I have run races where I was convinced I wouldn't make it to the start and then run well. And I've had days where I thought I would fly through it and struggled. You never know. But today you do seem a bit down for this one. Get the work in and go out easy. You may surprise yourself in the second half. Hey everyone, you should know I hear from Tim (wa5yom, whom I fondly call Tim WiFi). He checks in with me to say hi, and he is doing fine. Spareribs
                4 ezpz miles with only one other runner...seems my club is scared of the rain... Take it easy out there...
                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                  Easy 3 miler, humidity down,
                    I hope it's not too late to wish Erika well. Go for it and as Ribs and others said, sometimes you just never know. Focus on picking people off, think about form, go around corners strong, crest hills (if there are any on the re-routed course) with an up and over ferocity and smile at the finish. PR or not, you'll no doubt run 13 strong miles and that will pay off later too. If you feel really nasty, be good to yourself and don't push beyond reason. I'll be here in MA hoping for planet alignment. Great workout Spareribs. Good runs all over the board today in fact. Hugs to you (((((nonoruns))))))). Tim, don't over-think the fatigue. Overtraining occurs on low mileage too as it's about pushing when you need rest. Your doctor friend is right. Karin I'll log my race and run later once the results are up. I ran for a team today (Greater Springfield Harriers) and it was great fun. I focused on being third "man" as you just need 3 to score in the grand prix series. I'll let you know if it made a difference! I will say that I ran this race 3 minutes slower two years ago. I'll take it!
                    Mariposai

4 eze miles with my PT friend. She is leaving town today so I will no longer have a buddy to run with Sleepy. Wasn't the inaugural ceremonial magnificent? I loved the way they were able to portrait their whole ancient and contemporary history in the form of art. The precision of the ancient drummers were astonishing. Their gray and red costume reminded me so much of the many villages I saw in the interior of China were an entire village would be painted gray with red doors. In order to create a Chinese mood in the house I cooked a 4 course Chinese dinner and DH and I open the bottle of Chinese wine that was given to me by a Chinese family in Guilin with direct instructions to drink it during the opening ceremony while listening to some Chinese ancient music. What a great night we had.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Great workout BCMorant! I had no idea we have 78% humidity here in the South Bay. Ran 10 (muggy) miles with the running club. I started earlier than most folks due to my tortoise-like speed and a cloudless sky, so I missed chatting with some of the regulars and didn't get to say hi....I did see the fabulous Ileneforward blast by me at some point... HI ILENE!!! Regarding those awesome Olympic opening ceremonies, I got a thrill watching them too, being Chinese-American, but I cannot really relate to the country of my genetic origins. Like Spareribs, I grew up in New York State. I learned and chanted the "New York Alphabet" as a kid, which would probably get me sent to a re-education camp in China. Tongue Glad to be here in the U.S.A. Big grin Go Deena! Go Ryan!

Ultrachick

It's not raining here either! Actually some blue sky and sunshine! Did a nice 15 mile trail run with a couple girl friends this morning and nicely broke in a new pair of Brookes Adrenaline ASRs-they're outside drying now and I've got a fresh layer of mud all over my legs Big grin I'm heading outside from some yard work and not even going to bother getting cleaned up before going out. Ribs-great walk-glad to see you recovering well. No Dish or cable here so you all keep posting about the Olympics. Karin-looking forward to you race report. My SO was there running for the GMAA. I didn't want to get up at 4am to catch the team rental van to go down Big grin. Good runs everyone else and enjoy the rest of the weekend! Kelly
                          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                            8 easy miles in 1:15 Kind of uninspired myself today. Hope tomorrows long run feels more sproinky. Erika, Some of my best days start out like yours. Just get to the start line and let Karma get you to the fnish line. Timbo, We are having similar issues with the PF and fatigue but I know from my last marathon training that I get tired at times and I think that's just part of the package. I like to think that its these times that get you through the hard parts in the actual marathon. You need to get over a bump and then it will get easier until the next bump but just like hills the bumps in the road make us stronger. Hang in there and try not to change your plan to much it will work if you stick with it and believe in it. Ribs, Glad to see you are logging miles . You DA man! I loved the Olympic opening last night and am looking forward to watching some later today. Olympic type runs for everyone, Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Mariposai

Karin, I can't wait to read your report. 3 minutes faster woow Shocked. Hallar, I hope you find your rithm tomorrow. {{{spronky legs for hallar}}}} Back to cleaning the boys room, then I must clean the house a bit since we have an open house tonight. Well,it is more like come meet the candidate type open house. Our friend is running for a State Rep. position and she will be staying with us tonight so she can participate in the Omak Stampede parade tomorrow, we figured that a little more exposure for her in our town won't hurt... so we decided to have an open house for her tonight. Since it is so hot here I decided to make a Caribbean theme for the appetizers and drinks. Any volunteers to help me cook?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave, I love your avatar. I had a chocolate glazed with coconut shavings yesterday. I don't know what came over me. Then I saw macaroons in the store and bought those too! I watched the opening Olympic ceremonies on TV this morning, relaxing before my race. Boy it was impressive. I did a 13 mile trail run/race today, and had a blast! It was 58F, and raining pretty good when I drove up to the starting area. I was wearing only a tank top on top and everyone else had long-sleeves and rainjackets on. Wusses! I took my umbrella, a really smart move, and ditched it a couple minutes before the start. It stopped raining and we were just in the middle of the clouds. I guess that makes it 100% humidity. With running in a cloud, in the deep dank forest it got pretty dark in spots. I took it easy and talked to lots of people. One woman with a sore knee. She had no idea there would be so much climbing & descent on this run. She has signed up for a trail marathon in September....and this was her first real trail run this summer....hmmm. Then another neat woman caught up to me and told me how much she wanted to stick with other runners, since last weekend? she ran into a cougar on the neighbour hill called Tiger mountain. The cougar was only about 15 feet ahead of her on the path. She was on a mountain bike and just stared him down and tried to look big. Yikes. I guess there really is a reason these hills are called Cougar Mountain and Tiger Mountain. I thought about her adventure when I pulled out of the aid station at 7 miles and was all alone for a long time. I actually ran pretty fast here, I was feeling really good. She caught up to me on the second to last 500 foot climb and passed me. The last mile had a 0.7 mile stretch with another 500 feet of climb. Everyone near me was walking that one, the whole thing. Then 0.3 flat to the finish. Toes are pretty smashed up from the downhills but otherwise no incidents. Garmin said 12.94 miles My big goal was to break 3 hours, but I wasn't really thinking it was possible. My next goal was 3:03. I came up with that number when I hit 2 hours and did some arithmetic in my head. I came in at 3:02:07, which made me really happy! 14:04 overall pace, which was just greta, since the last 10.4 mile trail run I did here on Cougar was 14:16 pace. I drank about 3 handhelds and a bit more. Was down 1.5 pounds at the end. You can really sweat a lot when it is humid, even if it is only 60F and no sun. It always surprises me. I think I deserve my "trail girl" badge now. Wink

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."