Masters Running

Fri Aug 15 Runs and Workouts (Read 401 times)

I Can Go The Distance

Another easy 8 miles for me this morning. I went out at 5:30 am and the temp was already 68F and the humidity was 90%. I did 4 miles on the road and 4 miles on the track. My time was 1:19:53 (10 min pace). Tomorrow is my Long/Wave Run so it was good to take it easy today. I hope it is less humid in the morning. Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning and Happy Friday! Out for my 11 mile long run this morning. I unintentionally proved that if I wear my heart rate monitor sensor upside down I get way below averge heart rates. At first I thought that maybe I just had some huge breakthrough - but when my effort increased and my HR went down I knew that I had it on upside down again. Stopped at 4.25 mile mark and tried to inconspiculously fix it. Then my HR went up to wear it normally is. So - I have no idea what my avg. HR was - but my avg. pace was 10:56. Off to have B'Nelli checked - here's hoping for a clean bill of health!! Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat – yes, I am happy to report that, after careful stretching and icing, there were no lingering effects from yesterday’s run. Looking forward to pushing it farther on Sunday. Good luck with DW's b-day and I hope you have fun tonight. Btw, what is a BFF? Roch - excellent news on your no-after-effect-running! I’m still trying to go easy back into running, so today was another somewhat restless day at the gym (I have the attention span of a gnat): 30 minutes elliptical 10 minutes crossrobics machine 10 minutes elliptical 1 mile run (10:00) 20 minutes elliptical Big overeating weekend planned, to the detriment of my continuous weightloss efforts. Roll eyes Tonight after work I’m grabbing the kids and packing them off to grandpa’s, then zipping home to fix dinner for friends (teriyaki steak/red onion/yellow & orange pepper/mushroom kabobs with rice, steamed broccoli, crusty whole-grain bread, goat cheese, red wine – not as fancy as Tall makes, but still yummy). Afterward we’re heading to a wonderful local outdoor venue for what looks to be a fun concert. http://www.fraze.com/popup.cfm?EventNum=41 It’s obvious I better get my cookie-baking moving, since Perch has so many addresses.... Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey, if you guys want cookies, DD is baking lots today to sell at the Gilpin County Fair this weekend, as a fundraiser for her school band. Feel free to drop by! However, the weather isn't looking so good for the fair: "Rain and snow showers likely and slight chance of thunderstorms. Snow level around 11000 feet. Snow accumulation up to 2 inches. "

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

5 .5 miles easy run. Swimming 400 meters shortly. Couple of days ago I was stung by a wasp picking blue berries at my home and my right arm swelled up from my elbow to the wrist. Benedrel helped and the wasps are still hovering around the blueberry bushes. But I still picked enough to make a pie. Next time I'll wear long sleeves.
            Dave59

Tonight after work I’m grabbing the kids and packing them off to grandpa’s, then zipping home to fix dinner for friends (teriyaki steak/red onion/yellow & orange pepper/mushroom kabobs with rice, steamed broccoli, crusty whole-grain bread, goat cheese, red wine
              You're making me feel bad. We're having some friends over tomorrow and I am going to grill some steaks (that I'll at least marinate) and come up with some other stuff, but if they hear what you're doing they are going to feel slighted.

evanflein

I think I'll make today a rest day. That's the normal pattern for a Friday anyway and I think I needed it. Yesterday's TM run was fine, and actually Twocat, I enjoy them sometimes. Especially when I need to control pace and there's lightning outside! I later soaked my foot in a dishpan of ice water for 15 minutes until my toes ached, then again for 10 minutes about 20 minutes later. Seemed to help. Twocat, as for having his issues with his coach "resolved," I think it's more like a temporary "truce" where coach realizes he was wrong and was glad DS1 showed up, and DS1 is just very happy to play soccer. And they played well yesterday too... probably their best game yet. As for what will happen later with those teams that broke into a brawl, I don't know. One of them was our opponent tonight... but you'd think they'd be DQ'd... Nono, I've never heard of LandShark, but makes perfect sense. Hope your days get better, sounds like you've really been thru a rough patch lately. Holly, that actually sounds like a very good healthy menu! I wouldn't worry about it for a bit. DH is in Denver this weekend so we'll probably have pancakes tonight! Smile Nice to see WRFB start the daily again!
                  I bought some swimming goggles recently. I was at the pool yesterday with the kids and felt I could leave them unsupervised for a little while (there is a lifeguard, but my kids can't swim at all). I got into the lap pool and did a few lengths. It was exhausting and I got water up my nose doing the front crawl. I probably have terrible technique. Today is rest day and I am fantasizing about Tet and Franc's tunnel marathon on Sunday. Maybe next year? I must find out if there are railings along the trestle bridges, else I'd be a scaredy cat to run across those gorges so high up.http://www.littlemarathon.com/Tunnel/default.asp

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

In a million years you will never guess who will be my guest at the Lake Grapevine, TX Runners and Walkers Club Sunday morning. Go ahead, try! I am so excited. Wow! Tramps is on a roll today, what a post. Glad he is taking some of the controversy so it is not always I. I do have one observation and that is we can't eliminate "equipment" as a criterion for judging what is a sport. We would have to toss out all those classical sports: javelin, discus, hammer, shot, pole vault, etc. Many years ago I used to be a pretty tough competitor at bridge. I don't play any more but still belong to the American Contract Bridge League. For years the ACBL has lobbied to get bridge into the Olympics. All along I have said, "Nah." You should see the physical condition of people who play bridge. Did any of you know that Jim24315 is also a top player? He and I often correspond on that subject. Tim, you are right that this day off issue is one of personal experimentation. Twocat will often point out, "there is no study on this!" but I have no use for these "studies," as there are so many gaps. Here are just a few: the person conducting the study already has a preformed bias about what he wants the outcome to be, the person conducting the study doesn't know how to do empirical research, the study results are vague and inconclusive, for every study saying "this works" there is often another that says "this doesn't work." I like the notion of studying yourself, taking notes and seeing what's best. That is what I advised Maine to do. If you've always done things one way, how do you know you're doing it the best way? When I ran the marathon as a younger runner, I took two full days off before the race. Now I am older, one day off two days before the race seems to work. Why? Lesser weekly mileage. Back on Active, the former CR, I still post on fredurie's 50+ thread. He recently cited a study that showed there are no benefits to a training program based on periodization. Wow! Somebody tell that to Lasse Viren, who knew how to peak for the Olympics. Many athletes have complained in the U.S. that our selection system forces the athlete to peak for Trials and thus offer a weaker effort at the Games. DickyG, today I did hit the 3 mile mark, where I think I will stay for a bit, 57 minutes. Feeling good. Spareribs
                    munchkn883

Ribs, I am so glad you are doing well. Don't take on too much too fast. I'm taking today off....not that I've been doing alot of walking. Tomorrow I'm going to do 5-8 miles and say a prayer I don't hurt afterwards.

Marathon Maniac #957

In a million years you will never guess who will be my guest at the Lake Grapevine, TX Runners and Walkers Club Sunday morning. Go ahead, try! I am so excited.
                        My best guess would be that certain someone who said she was going to be in Texas this weekend visiting some girlfriends...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hey Bruce....you may want to do something about the 1258.6 miles you have on your log on 12/31/07, if you want your graphs to look better. Was that put there for your total 2007 mileage? No biggie, just thought I would bring that to your attention. http://runningahead.com/logs/b86a18be93394fdd84cd37fe78198eaf/graph Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I Can Go The Distance

Hey Bruce....you may want to do something about the 1258.6 miles you have on your log on 12/31/07, if you want your graphs to look better. Was that put there for your total 2007 mileage? No biggie, just thought I would bring that to your attention. http://runningahead.com/logs/b86a18be93394fdd84cd37fe78198eaf/graph
                            Tim:Yes, that was for the whole year of 2007. My mileage got lost in the whole CR fiasco so I just put in the total. Actually, I did that for 2004-2007 so I could have my total miles here on RA. I don't use the graphs all that often so I just don't worry about it. Thanks for pointing it out though. How are the new shoes working out? I have a new pair coming today, but I will not wear them till next week. I'm not going to do a 13 mile wave run in a new pair of shoes! Have a great day. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

In a million years you will never guess who will be my guest at the Lake Grapevine, TX Runners and Walkers Club Sunday morning. Go ahead, try! I am so excited. I like the notion of studying yourself, taking notes and seeing what's best. That is what I advised Maine to do. If you've always done things one way, how do you know you're doing it the best way?
                              Hmmm since I won't be in Texas this weekend I guess I can cross myself off the list, although I would really love to meet you one day. Wink Hey I am headed to Arizona the end of November maybe....oh how I digress! Now I have to figure out if it is someone from this forum or a famous or infamous runner... Roll eyes ok I'll go with Bill Rodgers...nah...Dick Beardsley...nah...oh I know...our very own AMOS!Big grin Oh that's right Holly ... CNYRunner!!! Now as far as your suggestion, I really like that idea which is exactly why I am going with it, plus the fact that my "coach" Joel suggests basically the same thing....and he often suggests to "do what works for you". And in looking back at some of my logs I have found that I have run most of my best times when I have taken a rest day off two days prior and run light the day before. That is still hard for me as I am still learning to be more of a disciplined runner and not always running "fast" I know that fast is relative...but fast for me how's that? I'm the kind of guy and runner who likes to listen to what everyone has to say (well almost everyone) and then I'll sit down and analyze the info and put an action plan together for what I think will work for me. Then I'll complete the task...in this case the race...and analyze that data and hopefully come up with what really does work for me. By the way Ribs if I don't set a 5K PR on Saturday I'm blaming you and Joel! Wink

King of PhotoShop

Happy to take the heat MR. Love to go elbow to elbow with my "enemies" on this forum. Good luck Saturday. Spareribs