Masters Running

Fri Aug 15 Runs and Workouts (Read 401 times)

Ribs is right that my view is that if there is no academic study supporting some particular training detail you are on your own. It means we really do not know if it will or will not help. There, of course, a lot of possibilities. It could be it helps some, hurts others and leaves most people unaffected. If so, that will make it hard for a researcher to figure out what is going on. The exercise may do very little which would also make its impact difficult to detect. None of this, however, means that you should stay away from some particular training routine just because we are not sure if it will do you any good. It does mean, and here I believe Ribs and I agree, that you should rely on whether or not you think it helps. Still, I would claim that Ribs does the academic research community a bit of a disservice in dismissing their work. It is true that academics often have an incentive to push an idea. On the other hand, others can make a reputation for themselves by showing that an idea is bad. So there is a limit to how long bad ideas, whoever pushes them, can stick around. The progress is slow, erratic, and frustrating but nevertheless steady. One thing is certain, if an exercise has a lot of value to the overall population it is easy to see in the data! That is good news. It means that ultragood exercises, once discovered, are quickly validated and hopefully spread through the athletic community. We now return to our regular, and not doubt far more interesting, programming.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim:Yes, that was for the whole year of 2007. My mileage got lost in the whole CR fiasco so I just put in the total. Actually, I did that for 2004-2007 so I could have my total miles here on RA. I don't use the graphs all that often so I just don't worry about it. Thanks for pointing it out though. How are the new shoes working out? I have a new pair coming today, but I will not wear them till next week. I'm not going to do a 13 mile wave run in a new pair of shoes! Have a great day. Bruce
      My new shoes ( Brooks) are doing well and like them better than my Nikes I was wearing...but took a little to get used to though. I forget, or you getting totally different shoes like I did? Hope you have a good wave run tomorrow....I will be thinking about ya while doing mine also Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

All this discussion about days off before a race... Let's not miss the equally important warm-up before the race, especially for a short race. I really believe in some good striders during the warm-up to loosen the legs and remind the body and mind what's coming up. A really fast strider, 100-200m can feel really fast and smooth and build confidence without using up much of your resources. I personally don't like any rest days. Easy running with strides is better.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mariposai

16 miles long run in 80 degrees, my latina spirit loved running in that kind of heat. It would have been nicer if I had a few more hours of sleep than what I got (around 3 hours is all I got) This was a cleansing of the mind kind of run. I had a long oncall night last night. As a medical interpreter I seldomly have the awesome opportunity to be a language link between death and life all in one night, but last night that is what happened. I was interpreting back and for between a dying patient and a lady in labor, ironically as the dying patient took his last breath, just a few minutes later a new baby was welcome into this world. What a emotionally rich experience that was. I can't wait for lunch time to be able to read all the postings.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Happy Friday everyone. Late post today - 4.1 miles at a 9:27 pace. My time is coming back down, but the best part is I ran with NO PAIN, and my legs actually had some sproink in them! Big grin Finished off the morning with 18 holes of golf with DH and DS2. No scores to brag about, though I did have 2 pars and 4 bogeys. I'm enjoying all the discussion on what is considered a "sport" and what is not. They could definitely simplify the Olympic games by getting rid of synchronized diving, badmitton, etc. and bringing back baseball. As for me, the swimming and running events are the most exciting. Michael Phelps is amazing. For anyone who read the post about women living longer than men and aren't sure if that's accurate, enjoy this: http://www.thefunnystuff.net/viewmovie.php?id=902 Enjoy your weekend, everyone. Jeanne
              For anyone who read the post about women living longer than men and aren't sure if that's accurate, enjoy this: http://www.thefunnystuff.net/viewmovie.php?id=902 Enjoy your weekend, everyone. Jeanne
              Too Funny! Big grin
              Tramps

Wow! Tramps is on a roll today, what a post. Glad he is taking some of the controversy so it is not always I.
                You’re welcome. I want you to stay focused on the rehab so I thought I’d go ahead and stir the pot a bit to take some of the pressure off of you. (Not that I could ever compete with a good Ribs-induced scrap.) The whole bikini thing was also useful but trying to pick a fight with Perch by repeatedly calling him a “slacker” was a waste of time; he was too busy running fast to bite.
                I do have one observation and that is we can't eliminate "equipment" as a criterion for judging what is a sport. We would have to toss out all those classical sports: javelin, discus, hammer, shot, pole vault, etc.
                I never called for the elimination of equipment; I called for the elimination of so-called “sports” that were not human-powered, using sailing and equestrian events as my examples--and anticipating that NASCAR fans will be lobbying for Olympic inclusion, if they haven’t done so already. (Wait until Dicky reads that one.) However--at the risk of giving you more detail than you wanted--after some debate with my colleagues on the advisory board of ROARS (“Righteous Olympic Advocates for Real Sports”), we’ve agreed to a clarification of our position that recognizes air (e.g. sailing), water (e.g. kayaking), and gravity-driven (e.g. skiing) events as real sports, providing they meet the other criteria. The operative logic is that competitors are allowed to use forces of nature (wind, gravity, water currents) to power movement but cannot use other species (horses) or machines (engines). Sailboats, bobsleds, kayaks, and the like are allowed since they only passively harness natural forces but don’t mechanically drive movement. Engines are not allowed (to nip that NASCAR thing in the bud) since they must transform fuel to produce movement. (This exclusion also applies to any future solar-powered engines.) I think it was a very reasonable compromise. Twocat—well put.

Be safe. Be kind.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Can't wait for Boardsailing (kite surfing and windsurfing) in the summer Olympics. That kite surfing is really cool.... if they allow snow boarding in the winter, why not I say! Thanks for the exemption ROARS!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Wow! Everyone had their Wheaties this am, I can see! I'll just keep reading and cogitate. Easy progression run for me: 6.08 miles in 50:38, 8:20 pace. 8:58/8:29/8:25/8:19/8:05/7:47 Average HR 141 but I did get up to 171 at one point. grins, A
                    Masters 2000 miles

I Can Go The Distance

My new shoes ( Brooks) are doing well and like them better than my Nikes I was wearing...but took a little to get used to though. I forget, or you getting totally different shoes like I did? Hope you have a good wave run tomorrow....I will be thinking about ya while doing mine also Smile Tim
                      How weird Tim, The UPS guy just brought my shoes as I was sitting down to see what was up at RA. I was thinking about changing shoe models, but then decided to just stay with my Adidas Galactics. I have worn them for years and the model does not change. I usually buy them online and sometimes they are too narrow, but when that happens there is no problem in exchanging them. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Friday - 3.01 miles easy w/ 3x100 meter strides at the end - 23:10 (7:41) Avg HR 137 Max HR 157. 8:07 - 127 / 133 took it out nice and easy 7:40 - 139 / 146 this felt very good, a comfortable pace 7:16 - 146 / 157 maintained that comfortable pace with 3 x 100 meters w/100 meter recoveries the last 600 meters :05 - 155 / 155 No problems in the run, my legs feel great...I'm as ready as I can be for tomorrow's 5 K we'll just have to see how close I can get to that sub 19:00... Tomorrow’s goals: 1 - Finish healthy! 2 - Have fun as always. Wink 3 - Sub 20:00 4 - Sub 19:25 (That would be a PR) 5 - Sub 19:00 I think I'm close if I have a good race...we'll see I'm still trying to decide if I should go out at a 6:00 pace and try to hang on through this one or not? I'll need a 6:07 pace to get in under 19:00 and that first mile is a fast one anyways even though there is a pretty good sized hill at the .25 mile mark. I think the adrenaline carries you up that hill and then you get to make a u-turn and come right back down and the rest is pretty darn flat. Well we'll see what tomorrow brings and I'll just play it by ear and give it my best shot! Big grin Woops - I deleted that duplicate paragraph. I don't know what happened... Confused

Marathon Maniac #3309

I'm still trying to decide if I should go out at a 6:00 pace and try to hang on through this one or not? I'll need a 6:07 pace to get in under 19:00 and that first mile is a fast one anyways even though there is a pretty good sized hill at the .25 mile mark. I think the adrenaline carries you up that hill and then you get to make a u-turn and come right back down and the rest is pretty darn flat. Well we'll see what tomorrow brings and I'll just play it by ear and give it my best shot! Big grin I'm still trying to decide if I should go out at a 6:00 pace and try to hang on through this one or not? I'll need a 6:07 pace to get in under 19:00 and that first mile is a fast one anyways even though there is a pretty good sized hill at the .25 mile mark. I think the adreniline carries you up that hill and then you get to make a u-turn and come right back down and the rest is pretty darn flat.
                          Boy, you really are having a hard time deciding Big grin Good luck with your race speedster Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

They could definitely simplify the Olympic games by getting rid of synchronized diving, badmitton, etc. and bringing back baseball.
                            Oh, comeon. I love badmitton, and these guys are good. I think this meets the ROARS criteria, at least as well as tennis. But what about table tennis? I think it meets the criteria, but, well, let's just say I like the gymnastics better.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks enke, maybe come up to the finish around 10 am and meet us comin' down. If I can do an 12-11m/m pace from the early start, franci will probably catch up to me around 11:00 a.m. with about five or six miles to go. yeah, sure.<>10am/10am)>>> traditional equipment's okay but superslick attire, etc, makes it kind of hard to compare athletes over the years. Maybe do some like barefoot Coroebus did in 776BC, . . . . <>women's beachball)>>>Big grin

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

DickyG

I never called for the elimination of equipment; I called for the elimination of so-called “sports” that were not human-powered, using sailing and equestrian events as my examples--and anticipating that NASCAR fans will be lobbying for Olympic inclusion, if they haven’t done so already. (Wait until Dicky reads that one.)
                                Actually, Tramps, I fully understand...anyway, I doubt that any of the Cup drivers would be able to find China. However, I still don't understand the Olympic organizers' failure to include tag-team rasslin' in the games. DickyG