Masters Running

Saturday 8/30 (Read 29 times)

C-R

Where's everyone?

Managed 14.2 with the masters group On the canal. Good pace considering the illness I caught from the kids. Ah first weeks of school.

Have a super day all.

cheers

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks C-R.

Not that I don't do it anyway most of the time, if not all of the time,

but taper day for tomorrow' Labor Day Half Marathon.

Incidentally, I think you may be on to something with your five 50-milers for your 50th birthday in 2016..  However, there’s nothing “mini” about running ‘em as a new “Grand Slam 50" series or something.  I bet you could get the RD's to agree.  Good luck.

l.

lake meridian triathlon finish

no wonder I'm so happy (if it works)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

Hey all.  Busy start of the semester so I haven't been posting.  But I am plugging away at the running.

8 MP miles this morning.  Felt tough but nice to be able to finish strong.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!

I hope you feel better soon, C-R.  Way to tough it out for 14.2 miles.  Don't you have a football game to go to?

I hope you enjoy your taper day, tet...and good luck tomorrow!

It does feel good to finish strong, doesn't it Tramps?  It's good to hear you were able to hold your MP for 8 miles.

Today started early for me.  I got up at 3...yes 3 AM so I could get to the nature center and get in 3 hours before the CC kids got there.  Everything worked out perfectly.  I was dying out there but, somehow, when they came, my pace picked up real quick...until the last mile.  But I managed to get in 25.1 miles in 4:00:45.  I love those kids...have I ever told you all that?

Okay--I think I need to lie down...lie or lay...whatever...I gotta go.  See ya!

mrrun

I was about to say good morning, but just noticed it's afternoon - time flies when you run 12+ miles slowly - after the speedy runs of mike, tramps,c-r, erika, ribs, etc and the mountains of wildchild and others, mine are slog fests.  the fun part was all the different shirts on the charles ranging from barcelona marathon to some relay a bunch of folks are doing next month.

have a great weekend and fleet feet to racers!

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice running so far here, I see.

Mike - that is dedication!

C-R - FIVE 50-milers - wow!  Can you re-post the races you are thinking about and add the dates?

5.1 recovery-paced miles for me this morning.

I'm wondering, since the Canton City Marathon I am running next weekend is sort of my last training run before the Vermont 50K, do I taper for it?  I have no hopes of running it fast, as I feel woefully slow these days, but still, I want to be rested enough that it doesn't take me forever out there.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...mornin' guys//.............Old Running Buddy from Louisville came for a visit..........

Marathoner for 30-years,

,,,,,knees,

heart problems,

actually DIED on the operating table during surgery (and was revived),

BrainTumor made him deaf in one ear

............but he's Feeling MUCH Better Now.......

===========

45-min poolrun, one of his knees swelled up, we went home

.........can't wait to see what he does next

..................good running guys........Run Healthy

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Your friend sounds like quite a guy, TW. He probably can tell a few tales...

Holly "woefully slow?" Yeah, right!

Good LR for C-R.

I had a good 8-mile run on the Paint Creek Rail-trail, which is getting more crowded every weekend with all the fall marathon and halves approaching. I ran out with one pair of friends, kept going after they turned back at the 3-mile mark, and then picked up another buddy on the way back in (who helped kick up my pace for those all-important negative splits).

I'll probably go out again tomorrow morning for a 6-mile loop around the lake.

So who's going to post a weekend race result?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

evanflein

Tet, so sorry to hear about the beautiful bird not making it. That's a tough one, but some do make it so it's definitely worth it to try. Good luck at the half tomorrow, I think you can trust your training and taper today. 

Holly, I think you could just run short and easy a couple days leading up to your marathon and call that good. Like you said, it's basically a supported long training run, right? Go have fun, and I bet you'll do better than you think.

Geez, C-R, your plan is even nuttier than some of the things my DH comes up with for me sometimes! Good luck with that. And you know what? You've got time to prepare for it and you'll do great. Nice 14 miler out there, hope you feel better soon (I so remember those days....).

Wow, tw, you have some tough friends. Hope the knee is nothing, but after coming back from the dead, what's a little swelling in the knees, right?

Good running, Doug. I hear Perch talk about that Paint Creek Trail and it sure sounds nice. Well maintained in the winter, too, right?

Hey Marj! It doesn't matter how anyone else does their runs, you got out there and had a good run this morning. I still remember running with you a few yards in Boston a couple years ago, and that was a great lift for me!

Hi Tramps! I must've missed it earlier... you're teaching now? And always good to pull off a fast finish.

I'm still pretty sore in spots, but it'll pass. Mainly my right hip and shoulder. I didn't think I went down that hard, but apparently so. This is my big last weekend for long runs, so I'm aiming for 10 today and 20 tomorrow. Kind of need that for my 200 mile August goal anyway. Too many "rest" days this month! (and not so restful, most involved hours on planes and in airports)

Today is clear and sunny, and we had a hard frost in many places last night. Didn't freeze here yet, but it's coming. And we passed the record this week of the rainiest summer (June-July-August) in the last 100 years (since records were kept). Not a record I wanted, but as long as we were so close, what the heck. At least we accomplished something, right?

evan, nice Musk Ox being 4th woman overall.  Sorry about the falls and knees.  Trackrat, good job for you also with 2nd OA.  Steve, I'm anxious to hear about how things work out for you with your former employer.  It sounds like they really want you.  Jay, sorry to hear about your neighbor.  jlynne, good luck with the upcoming Tough Mudder.  Tammy, neat that your son beat his nemesis in the unofficaial meet.  TomW, your friend is impressive.

Nice long runs for Holly, wild, C-R, and marj.

This morning, it was in the high 60s with a light wind.  I did 8 miles at an 11:32 pace.  I have mixed feelings about the negative splits by 2:21.  The improvement was good but that means the 1st 4 miles were really slow.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

tetsujin209 you did what you could for that bird.  I too am sorry it did not survive its injury.

The Rosie Ruiz Fan Club Reach the Beach Relay Team just lost a runner due to work related conflicts.  So here is your chance to join our merry band!  We leave for Cannon Mountain on Thursday September 11 and return home on Saturday the 13.  If you have any interest in joining the team just send me a note and I can furnish lots of additional details!

As to my running I ran 18 and all I will so for myself is that I lived to tell about it!  On the plus side it did get me out of a long drive to Long Island today!  Instead my DW went with her sister to visit their mother.  I get to stay home, work and handle the grocery shopping.  Personally, I think everybody is better off here! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

So sorry Tet---sounded like a magnificent bird and you did what you could. By the way, my ultra buddies from here are having quite the time in Europe. Mr. R. just ran the ultra-trail race in Mont Blanc and was 2nd American and 19th overall. Phenomenal.

Marj, just getting out there is awesome no matter the speed, terrain, elevation, and all that. Sounds like you had a fun run.

C-R!  Yowsa....what an awesome turning 50 plan. I am still sticking with the one punishment celebration though. Good on you!

Ran 4.3 miles really easy and then a mile with strides. racing tomorrow and then running 4 hours on Monday or probably close to 28 miles.

Sorry about the relay Twocat and I hope you get that 12th runner. If not for work and then a certain b-day celebration of the non-running sort. I'd join you.

Mr. CNYrunner and I have our Mizzou tee-shirts on and are primed to watch the Mizzou vs. South Dakota State football game on the SEC network. The kiddo has been sending photos of the pre-game festivities and we're glad he's having fun. We spoke with him via FaceTime a couple days ago and he reported that classes are going well and he really likes all his professors.

It will be fun to watch Tammy's David run XC---great start!

Tselbs! Negative splits means good and smart strategy at the start and not too slow!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Busy Saturday out there.

sorry to hear about the falcon, Tet.  Not sure how something so attuned to flying would do with out being able to.

C-R--Nice, just in case the bar isn't high enough around here...............  Your DW has it right.

We're staying the weekend out on our little island for the first time this summer (just in time, right?) and since it's only about 30' x 60' and you can't actually walk all the way around it without getting your feet wet, I boated to shore and did 4.6 miles.  Gorgeous morning in the mid 50's and I did it, with hills, faster than my 5+ on Wed on the nice level lake loop.  very happy with that.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Surprised that you can connect to the rest of the world from your little Island Stumpy.

I think C-R is singlehandedly making up for all the RA men not running a 50 miler this year, to balance out the women that are!

Tet- good luck tomorrow at the Labor Day Half - if I had been running more, I'd do the 4 miler, but I think I will save myself and train a bit for the Run with the Fishes 5K in Issaquah, that you paced me to a near PR last year.

Rain.  I love it!!  First rainy run in what must be 3 months!!!  5 miles of trails, Remi is pretty muddy now, and I just bathed him last night.  Sigh!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

10.4 miles today, started at 8:25 and ended at 8:04. Just a nice steady run without pushing the pace. Felt really good, probably the best 10 mile run I've had in quite some time. And if I'd had gloves at the beginning, that would've been much better. As it was, big dark clouds showed up just as I was leaving and my hands froze the first 5 miles. Then the sun came out and the rest of the run was really nice. And I found $10 on the bike path! So yes, all around, a good day out there!