Masters Running

Never mind--go up to Mariposai's daily. (Read 102 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Okay--I'll start--

My run last night was pretty brutal.  The “feels like 99 heat” kicked my butt.  I went out fine—I wasn’t pushing it at all but was going through my mile splits in around 6:55.  I thought that I should probably slow down, but I really was feeling pretty good.  Into the 5th mile, though, I started feeling it.  I got to my 5.1 mile turnaround point in 35:20 and then the death-march home began.  I did not even try to maintain any kind of pace—I just wanted to get home before I died.  I finished those 5.1 miles in 39:21 for a total 10.2 miles in 1:14:41.  I really wanted to take it easy, too, because I wanted to be somewhat fresh just in case I get an opportunity to run with the Augustana Cross Country Team, tomorrow.  Uh-oh—who brought that up?

I feel so sorry for you guys!  The college cross country season has begun and tonight the 6th ranked Augustana Vikings of SD begin their quest to win their third straight NSIC Championship—qualify for the NCAA D11 Championships for the third straight year—and compete at Nationals which is what makes each one of them get up every morning, lace up the shoes, and pound out the miles.  They only have three guys from last year’s national 6th place team returning, so it’s going to be a pretty tough task.  My son was the 6th guy on that team so they are going to need him to step it up, this year.  They do have some outstanding freshman coming in.  I’m sure Rob would know the guys from MN—Adam B from Totino-Grace—Alex J from Maple Grove—and Shane M from Rosemount.  Plus a couple guys who placed pretty high in SD’s state meet, last year.  But this is my favorite time of the year so prepare yourselves for more pictures and a whole lot of bragging about my kid!  Well…at least I hope I’m bragging about my kid.

Okay—I’ll let you go.  I have a lot to get done before I can sneak out of here by around 2:00.  Starr—you might want to stay off the streets between 4:00 and 5:00—I’ll be flying through Worthington on my way to Sioux Falls.