Masters Running

newbies in paradise (Read 532 times)

dg.

LInda, yes, I really wanted an update on your ankle. was getting ready to email you. but, this isn't the update I wanted. could you make a new one??? It does sound like a tendon... I don't have time right now to look back in the thread ... which side it is? any particular spot? Sorry the TM hurt it. I forget (sorry), does the elliptical bother it? I have a book (sorry again!) that has great info on what it sounds like you have. want it? I could mail or fax it to you. How many new maths have there been? we had new math. 3rd grade, I think. what's the latest on your dad? do his fingers still hurt like they used to? I hope he didn't have to go back in the hospital. I'm doing ok, thanks for asking... mainly still dealing with the piriformis pain & shin splints, but i'm able to run. my schedule has gotten a little odd, it started when I'd just run a little then do the elliptical & bike, & etc. The last 2 Sundays I've run 7 miles by the river then gone to the gym & done the elliptial & bike & weight machines &/or stabilty ball things. it's a long morning. last Sunday my face was numb & I couldn't talk right. If I can get back up to 8 I think I'll stop the rest of it. Not sure though. I get to use the whirlpool when I'm done. doing a similar thing during the week but it's after a 3-3.5 mile run. no time for the whirlpool though. but it feels like if I don't do all of that I'm slacking. It's helping a lot if I'm sure to make time in the evening for rehab things.. strengthening, stretching, using 'the stick' or a foam roller, then ice. it's so easy to do other things with the time. We could go to CA, if LInda & Kevin could be there at the same time. it's a small state, right? I really wish Jem could come too. thanks for the bump mr. michael flexible white.
      deb, did you try the strassburg sock. http://www.thesock.com/ I hear it works well for shin splints. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

greetings all. I've been mostly lurking, as I try to catch up with a whole bunch of stuff. Let's see--4 days in VA leading to 3 1/2 days helping Mom move out of Rochester, 2 days in NJ, then High School football last Friday, into a whole day on Sunday helping Mom unpack in the new house. Work gets in the way from time to time. Enough whining for everyone? Runs have been a little sparse too. Deb--your miles sound good, but I'd agree that the schedule IS a bit odd (or uneven, or something) At least you're doing something. When I had my shin splints, the doc suggested bike riding with toe clips, to make the shin muscles work. that, a lot of stretching, and almost a month and a half off running got me through. Laurie--did you sign up for Bright lights? I thought of it a little late and it's full already. I did sign up for the Jinglebell run in Somerville on 12/14. I also discovered the my BIL's company is a big sponsor of the Westfield (MA) 1/2 marathon, which is in early April next year. I told him that if I had a good winter, I'd come run that. and if the winter didn't go well, that I'd try the 5K that goes along with it. He gave me a left over tech shirt from this year's, so I'll have to be a well mannered runner and only use it under something until I actually run it. Almost bed time, as I need to get up early and try to get in a little more than just my normal 3.2. it's going to be a little nipply as it's already 28 out here and not a cloud in the sky. the snow that they had promised doesn't seem to be showing up. Happy Tuesday night to everyone. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Rindaroo

Debbie - why was your face numb? No worries, just do what you can do.. try not to let that "you're slacking" voice in too much. ok? Dad is back in the hospital as of last night... he had surgery again today.. I'm not sure I should post it here its getting more graphic. But lets just say if what they did today doesn't work, they're looking at amputating the hand or more Sad so let's just hope it works. I will be there next week & it looks like I'll be visiting him in the hospital. He is very bummed about that.. Foot update: I finally broke down & made a doctor's appointment. I had a xray of both the foot & ankle, and they both showed no fractures. The doctor says she thinks its a bruised bone on top of my foot (which is mid-left on top of my foot towards the ankle & right where DD landed on it). & she says I have a sprained ankle... she says the bruised bone will take weeks to heal Sad its already been 3!! and she gave me a splint for the ankle to keep it stable, so that it can heal. Looks like PT exercises & ablounger only for me for awhile... (oh yes & the elliptical hurts too, and the my muscles really tensed up around my ankle after the exercise bike....) just seems like I can never win..oy! can someone loan me a new body?
            Linda. lol. I wish we could trade the old ones in from time to time. How did DD land on your foot? Kev, I dont really do the bright nights. Its cold and dark and lots of people there. Plus I am so not a winter runner and its always cold at night. I am doing the Manchester Road Race and the Jolly Jaunt and thats it for winter. I will run the Westfield half with you. I hear its challenging. Did 4.5 yesterday with the old clinic women. We are trying to keep them running until the spring clinic starts up. So hopefully I can keep them going until then. I dont want any drop outs. Hamstrings killed yesterday from mowing the lawn with a self propelled lawn mower who's self propelled feature doesnt work. My winter soccer team started up last week. I have a great assistant coach who is more organized than Martha Stuart. So far we have 15 players. Should be fun. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

ps...not running topic but still cute....I took DD17 and her BF to see the Smashing Pumpkins in Boston last weekend. Great concert. A couple of grey haired older women sat down in front of us. I thought to myself do they know what they are in for?! When the band started playing 1979 these women were clapping and waving hands and really rocking out, then I thought, 'yep I think they know what they are in for'. Very cute. LA

Me

Good morning Everyone, I've been lurking and not running this past week. Last weekend, I picked my son up from the airport in the evening. We got home were talking for a while, it was late, and I started getting light headed. I decided to go to bed and before I could get there I passed out. I have no idea what may have caused it as nothing has ever happened to me like that before. Monday I went into work and the nurse checked my blood pressure. It was normal. She told me I should probably refrain from running untill I can get to see a Dr. So, tomorrow I'm going to see a Dr. Tongue So, anyway, did I mention that my son Matt is visiting from Phoenix? I am taking him to Atlanta on Sunday where we'll meet up with my other son, David and he'll go stay with him for a week. Then Matt's girlfriend is flying into Chattanooga on Wednesday. I'll pick her up at the airport and the two of us will drive to Dave's house in Georgia. I'll get to spend Thanksgiving with both sons and their significant others. How cool is that? Debbie, What's with the numb face? That doesn't sound like it could be right. Has anyone heard from Jem? It would be nice to hear from her again. Especially if she could meet for a race. Linda, I'm glad your foot isn't broken. Although, I know a bad sprain can take a while to heal. Laurie, Smashing Pumpkins. You are such a cool Mom. Has anyone heard from Teresa from South Africa yet? Cheers, Mike
                dg.

Hi all. good morning! first... sorry Linda, Mike. I think I didn't report in the proper sequence. My face was numb because it was cold! the last 2 miles + a little were into 15 mile hour winds with snow. No mystery! Mike, I hope you are ok! any more problems since that first day? good luck tomorrow. that is very cool you get to be with your sons. i haven't heard from Jem but have been meaning to email her for a long time. I hope the address I have is still good. I miss her. morning report.. w/u walk, 3.83 miles, a few baby interval things, i shouldn't do much like that but thought a little would be ok. 17 min. on the bike, 2 sets on the weight machines, and a bunch of other stuff. better get back to work. more later.

Me

Well, the Dr wasn't able to come up with anything conclusive. So, he is going to subject me to a bunch of tests, otherwise known as a fishing expedition. He doesn't want me to run until after we are done fishing. Mike
                    dg.

Well, the Dr wasn't able to come up with anything conclusive. So, he is going to subject me to a bunch of tests, otherwise known as a fishing expedition. He doesn't want me to run until after we are done fishing. Mike
                      sigh.

#artbydmcbride

Here's hoping you catch only minnows. Smile

Runners run

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Mike--that's tough not knowing. hope it was just a bug or something. Or that wild bachelor life you seem to be leading down south. Wink Hope everyone is getting healthier. Deb, you've become a workout warrior. remember, moderation when called for, not after. Say Hi to Jem for me, too. She sure seemed to have a busy life, but managed to get some good miles in. Linda--Bone bruise doesn't sound like it would be too bad, but hear about a lot of pro athletes that spend a lot of time getting over them. Does this distract you from the asthma? Best wishes to your dad. Laurie--just what I want for my 1st half--challenging Roll eyes have a good week all. no much of a post, but at least we'll be back up the list a little. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike, any word on what happened? I dont like it when they throw out big fishing nets. Military docs did that to me once. They took a guess at what I had and started treating me for it with steriods. I did my own research and detirmined that I did NOT have what they were treating me for. Then I saw a civilian doc who made a recommendation and he was right. Remember that the patient has a lot of say so when detirmining a diagnosis. SO dont let them scare you with diagnosis' that you just no arent right. If you want i will email my story to you. I hope you are feeling better and no more fainting episodes. Deb, hows the legs doing? Any improvement? Kevin, you have to challenge yourself to improve. And theres nothing like going big. I think a lot of people end up walking the 7 sisters anyhow. I am still running but in a lot of discomfort to put it mildly. The Manchester group is fast and I struggle to keep up with them. I decided to stop running for a month after Dec 7th (my fun run) and give my legs a break and a chance to heal. I am thinking that yoga, swimming and stretching will do them good. Last night they ached all night long. I barely slept. Something has got to give. Laurie

Me

Good Afternoon Everyone, Well, nothing seems to be turning up. I have an appt with the dr. on Monday afternoon when he is supposed to give me the diagnosis. I don't think he's going to find anything. I have to confess; I was getting ready to start really feeling sorry for myself when a colleage from work called me the other day and apologized for missing a training class I gave a week or so ago. He had to miss because he was at the hospital getting his chemo treatment. Sometimes it is easy for me to forget just how blessed I am. My issue suddenly seemed pretty insignificant. Life is about making adjustments. Smile Happy Thanksgiving Everyone. I value your friendships and I am very thankful for them. Cheers, Mike
                                Mike, Any word? How have you been feeling? Run yet? Link to my Manchester RR http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/Post/6501e2aac9a843e8b2f41a9de7149769#focus Tight glutes and hamstrings now. Need to rest, swim and do yoga for a few days. Laurie