Masters Running

A fresh start; 7.1.15 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I don't think I thank Ilene enough for having managed the Intrepid Racers roster for so many, many many years. So thank you, Ilene, for helping us follow which races our fellow forumers (??) are having fun at.

Last night, I cooked salmon on a plank on the grill. The cedar plank looked a bit beat up afterward, but the maple syrup-coated salmon was fall-apart flaky and moist. It's a foolproof way to cook salmon, and I'm the fool who proves it!

6.5 miles at J o'clock this morning. For a COP, I ran almost the whole way. I don't know how you all do it! I tried to switch to racewalking after a few miles, but my body was all discombobulated and just couldn't adjust and get into a RW rhythm. So, after a few moments, I gave up on that and went back to running. I think my quads will be barking at me all day.

OK. Gotta go to BWB (breakfast with the boss), and see if we can at least get there before this morning's rain storms start.

Have a greta Wednesday, and a greta July!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Henrun

Happy Canada Day to all Canadians everywhere!

Marj and I headed out just past Jay o'clock to beat the rain. I did 4 and Marj is still out there (and the rain has started).

Jay, that salmon looks delicious-we've grilled on cedar planks before-first had it that way n Seattle.

Btw, I ran this morning in my Canadian flag shorts-a tradition of many years standing and those shorts have been around for many years.

mrrun

to continue with pictures - on the Charles before the rains came - however the last mile was in heavy rain!

Hatch Shell - getting ready for the fourth of July concert

Slo

I do love salmon on the grill ! That looks scrumptious Jay.

A nice easy 5 miler. Garmin is still wacked out. I think it's time to go back to a good ol timex watch.

Charlevoix Video

Dave59

Cool video.  I am crossing the starting line at 1:47 into it and at 5:36 you get a bird's eye view of the port-o-potty I used during the race. 

I ran an easy 3 miles this morning. While I was getting dressed this morning I had the Steve Prefontaine movie, "Without Limits" on TV.  Coach Bill Bowerman says this,"Running, one might say, is basically an absurd past-time upon which to be exhausting ourselves."  I wonder if Cindy would agree with that.

The whole quote was actually this, "Running, one might say, is basically an absurd past-time upon which to be exhausting ourselves. But if you can find meaning, in the kind of running you have to do to stay on this team, chances are you will be able to find meaning in another absurd past-time: Life."

Sayhey! MM#130

Good mornin'

Well, a hot and productive Speedster session last night.  Prudently decided after 8 x 400s to make the last mile 2 x 800s, as the 400s came in pretty evenly at 1:40 (overall 6:41 mile pace for both miles).  The 800s were 3:42 and 3:43 and I was pretty much drenched (yew, TMI!)

So it was good to enjoy an easy 10K this am at a 9:25 pace .

Happy (and cooler) runnings to all!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sayhey! MM#130

And just to add some verisimilitude to my heat description, here are a few random comments from fellow Speedsters on last night's workout:

(All 3 of these runners are way faster than me.)

Justin Klein 9:27pm Jun 30

Perry, it was great having you right there with those 400s! That humidity was definitely putting its work on me. Managed between 5:30 and 5:45 for them all but one.

Charyse Smith

Charyse Smith 9:17pm Jun 30

Terrible yet Awesome can anyone relate lol? Was tonight the hottest most humid night of the year, my word!

Manuela Lyons

Manuela Lyons 9:11pm Jun 30

Tough one for me tonight, having problems in this humidity. Lol Perry, I tried to keep up with you and felt like walking the last two.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Good work Aamos.  My ten-miler this morning was just a shade under 11 minutes a mile, but I ran the final half mile at sub 8 pace, simply because a fun song came on my iPod!

Jay, I suspect that because of the heat of the grill, some of that syrup ran over onto your cedar plank, and then it caramelized. But it is still a great way to cook a piece of fish.  Good job.

Spareribs

An hour on the elliptical.  Nothing very exciting.

More exciting is cooking news.  The Gigante Beans and Butternut Squash recipe that I made last night was quite good!  I used great white northern beans since I could not find giganties.  Also, I used pumpkin instead of butternut squash but either would work just fine.  Of course, my DW turned her nose up at it.  Unless squash is served in the form of a soup she will not touch it. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Twocat, I'll post the English Muffin Bread recipe at the end.  Holly, congrats on your successful Medicaid appeal.  It sounds like you put a lot into it.  Slo, neat video.

Nice long run for evan.  Good job on the speedwork for Mike (in rain and hail), Dave, and Aamos.

This morning, it was in the mid to high 50s with a little wind.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:30 pace.

English Muffin Bread - especially good for toast

Ingredients

2 cups milk

1/2 cup water

6 cups flour

2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast

1 tablespoon white sugar

2 teaspoons salt (I hardly use any)

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Directions

1.  Warm the milk and water in a small saucepan until very warm (125° F).  I put it in a glass container and give it 2 min. in the microwave.  Lightly grease (I use Pam spray) two 8X4 inch loaf pans.  (We've used 9X4 1/2 which worked fine - I usually use three 8X4 pans -the bread usually ends up just about even with the top of the pans in this case)

2.    In a large bowl, mix together 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and soda.  Stir milk and water mixture into the flour mixture and mix well.  Stir in the remaining flour one cup at a time, until a stiff batter is formed.  Spoon batter into prepared pans.  Cover and let rise in a warm place until about doubled in size, about 45 minutes.  Preheat oven to 400° F..

3.  Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 25 minutes.  Remove from pans immediately and let cool.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Nice video, Slo. The start of the 5/10K looks pretty chaotic with walkers starting at the front of the pack and a guy out front apparently trying to take a selfie while running. I'm in the HM start somewhere but couldn't pick it out. I was wearing black shorts and grey top so didn't stand out.

I saved your recipe, Tom. Looks good -- I'll let you know.

Somewhat of a recovery run this morning. I intended to do the 6 miles around the lake, but even though it was just in the 60s it was cloudy and humid and with the hills I was feeling more worn out after 4 miles than I did after finishing the HM on Saturday. Then my left hip and hammy starting aching a bit -- probably aggravated by the hills -- so I walked the rest of the way back to the showers at the public beach where we had parked.

Off to check my monthly total and post it if it's not too embarrassing.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Me too Ilene.

Good job jay in both running and cooking departments.

If I could walk like you, I’d be faster than I run as me.

Incidentally, are they Atlantic salmon back there?

I love salmon and, when I was up in Rhoon-land for a couple of summers

in those days, I ate freshly caught salmon or trout/grayling almost every morning.

I didn't have to cook salmon last night though – thinly sliced salmon bellies on shiso leaves with a little soy sauce and pinch of wasabi before some extended midnight madness fun (actually 10pm) under the two brightest planets at their closeness in the sky view above for another decade (Jupiter poised right over Venus). Then, this morning required perfect timing to swim between the moon setting at 5:13 a.m. and sun rise two minutes later.

ps holly – super congratulations on your appeal after two hearings,

particularly against the Medicaid bureaucracy. You rock!

(which is the first time I’ve ever said that)

pps – I bet there’s a business in making cakes for in absentia birthday parties,

especially in desired cities/locations the celebrants’ll never get to themselves.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

C-R

Hi All.

Nice cooking Jay and thank for sharing the recipe Tom.

Cool video Slo. Recover from your birthday celebrations?

Nice speed work Amy.

Those pesky songs will do that Ribs but it does break up the run time.

Started a reformed diet this past weekend. Got a few pounds heavy with the lack of running and travel. Took some discipline but finally seeing some results. I forget how much you need to pay attention to what you eat when you aren't running more than 40 per week. Good reminder. So my 6+ was comfortable at lunch and hopefully will keep getting there.

Have a wonderful day.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Hmmm....that salmon looks good!

Happy Canada Day!

SR - yes, a peppy song can really make me pick it up.  So can running past people walking on the street - can't look like a slug!

Nice drippy yet speedy intervals, Aamos!

Twocat - beans and pumpkin...think I am with your wife on this one.

Tet - you rock too!

C-R - yup, not running 40 miles a week (try about 10) means the only way to lose weight is to *gasp* diet!  I finally realized this about a week ago...no more chocolate chip muffin tops for me!  Finally seeing a few pounds come off.  I am sure I will lose about 3 pounds just this weekend alone on the hike.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  That salmon really does look good.

I went 5 miles, tonight, in 37:22.

And I guess that's about all I got.  See ya!