Masters Running

Post your question about using RA here (Read 979 times)

sluggo

John

btb1490....nah...that didn't work...I am sure I am missing something easy here,,,, Tim, Ardmore, OK.
    Hi, The stuff b2b told you is correct, "When you click on "Options" in the top right, then go to "My Forum Preferences", there is a text box to type your signature line into. If you are using HTML in that text box, make sure you check the "Signature contains HTML" checkbox underneath it." You might find these web pages helpful in setting up your web link: http://www.utoronto.ca/webdocs/HTMLdocs/NewHTML/a_href.html http://www.utoronto.ca/webdocs/HTMLdocs/NewHTML/line_break.html HTH

John
    www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Marathon Maniac #957

I have a question: are we going to do a monthly mileage thread here, and if so, are you still looking for someone to take it over?
      A monthly mileage thread would be lovely. Mark, are you volunteering? Maybe Tramps can e-mail you the spreadsheet he used. How do I post a picture within the post? Is it the same as how I did it at CR, uploading a picture to flikr.com and putting brackets with "img" and "/img" on either side of the properties?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

How do I post a picture within the post? Is it the same as how I did it at CR, uploading a picture to flikr.com and putting brackets with "img" and "/img" on either side of the properties?
        There is an image box in the reply screen. Grab the URL of the photo from Flickr, etc. and put it between the brackets. Or, being computer savy, you can type the brackets yourself as you had it right. The photo I posted is of my cheerleading staff at the Marshall University Half-Marathon. On the left is my wife, and on the right is her best friend. I rewarded their efforts by breaking my 10 year old PR.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Tramps

I have a question: are we going to do a monthly mileage thread here, and if so, are you still looking for someone to take it over?
          Mark, my plan had been to do a final Miles thread at CR before "retiring" and hopefully handing it over to someone else. Now that many folks are over here, I suppose I should go ahead a do a final December/2007 wrap-up miles thread. After that, it's all yours buddy. I'd be happy to send you my spreadsheet but it's so primitive you'd probably be better off starting from scatch. Drop me a note at Tramps2 at gmail dot com. Holly, remember too, they don't use brackets here but these things: <> ...whatever the heck those are called.

Be safe. Be kind.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Mark, my plan had been to do a final Miles thread at CR before "retiring" and hopefully handing it over to someone else. Now that many folks are over here, I suppose I should go ahead a do a final December/2007 wrap-up miles thread. After that, it's all yours buddy. I'd be happy to send you my spreadsheet but it's so primitive you'd probably be better off starting from scatch. Drop me a note at Tramps2 at gmail dot com. Holly, remember too, they don't use brackets here but these things: <> ...whatever the heck those are called.
            I'm not familiar with the "monthly milage thread" but there is an easy way to see your group's milage here on RA. From the group, go to "Reports." Set the time frame to "current month" and it'll list the monthly milages for those members whose logs are public. (Click here to see the report) Another neat feature, if you'll look on that same page, is that it shows who's run in what races and what their times were. (Click here to see) Again, it goes by what you've got on a public log here. To set your log to public, go to Options --> My log preferences and select your desired privacy level. I'm not sure how the reports work with "Only allow members in my groups to see my log" but it's something that we could find out by experimenting.

Roads were made for journeys...

hup

The beauty of it is once you update your avatar or your signature, it updates all of your posts.
              WRFB's avatar makes me thirsty!! Lou, DD gave me the entire lineup of Samuel Smith's brews for Christmas .... yum!
              bap

How do I easily switch between forums?

Certified Running Coach
                Crocked since 2013

Tramps

I'm not familiar with the "monthly milage thread" but there is an easy way to see your group's milage here on RA. From the group, go to "Reports." Set the time frame to "current month" and it'll list the monthly milages for those members whose logs are public. (Click here to see the report)
                  Yeah, I think the reports feature here would change the whole way this thread is done. I suppose even if you don't use the log you could just go in once a month and dump your miles--one entry with XXX miles--so you'd show up on the monthly miles report/thread. Life for the thread manager would be much simpler. You could focus on what really matters...the silly awards. Wink (Wingz, our thread had both real mileage reports with commentary as well as a series of "awards", some serious (200+ miles, race PRs, etc) some silly (the "Awesome Average" award for the person whose mileage was closest to the overall average, etc).) I managed to log in and momentarily get to the November Miles thread. Not sure if the link will work but try to cut and paste this: http://community.active.com/thread/37291?start=105&tstart=100

Be safe. Be kind.

Wingz

Professional Noob

How do I easily switch between forums?
                    There are two main menus. There's "forums" and there's "user groups." If you look towards the top and bottom of the page when you're in a thread (or a group) you see a menu that looks like : User Groups > Group Home > Forum > Post your question about using RA here It's a tree menu. Click on the far left one, User Groups, and it'll take you to a list of all the user groups you've signed up for as well as what's available. Alternately, at the top of the page, there's a light blue strip that, when you're in the groups, reads "Forums / User Groups / Browse User Logs / Find Routes." Clicking on "forums" there will take you to the main, public forums. Clicking on "user groups" will take you to that same page as on the tree menu - the groups you've signed up for and the available groups. Let me know if I didn't answer your question. Big grin

Wingz

Professional Noob

Life for the thread manager would be much simpler. You could focus on what really matters...the silly awards. Wink (Wingz, our thread had both real mileage reports with commentary as well as a series of "awards", some serious (200+ miles, race PRs, etc) some silly (the "Awesome Average" award for the person whose mileage was closest to the overall average, etc).)
                      Sounds fun! Big grin Will you let young whipper-snappers participate or do we have to sit on the sidelines until we get old enough?

OK...How do we insert a url in our signature? Tim, Ardmore, OK.
                        Tim, sometimes the same thing said in a semi-different way helps... As everyone said, go to "Options" in the upper rt corner of the screen. Click "My Forum Preferences", make sure the little "Signature contains html" box is checked. In the Signature box, put [a href="http://sample-address.com"]your text goes right here[/a] Substitute < and="" /> in place of the [ and ]. For example, my AtoZ Recipe group html looks like this: [a href="http://www.runningahead.com/groups/AtoZRecipes/"]A to Z Recipes[/a] except the brackets are replaced with the greater & lesser signs.
                        Tramps

Sounds fun! Big grin Will you let young whipper-snappers participate or do we have to sit on the sidelines until we get old enough?
                          Well, it's always been a 40+ thread but if you slip the bouncer at the door a few bucks--or better yet, beers--he's been known not to check those IDs too closely.

Be safe. Be kind.

Fred.Just Fred

The Internut

Well, it's always been a 40+ thread but if you slip the bouncer at the door a few bucks--or better yet, beers--he's been known not to check those IDs too closely.
                              Hey, I'm a young whippersnapper! OK, so I tip the chronological scales at 56, but at heart I'm still a teenager (I just wish I could run like one!). Cool

I'll have days when I don't think I can run a marathon. I'll have a lifetime to know that I did.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, remember too, they don't use brackets here but these things: <> ...whatever the heck those are called.
                                Great, just when I start to understand, they change the language on me. Question: How do you put an e-mail address in your profile, so people can e-mail you privately if they choose?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."