Masters Running

Post your question about using RA here (Read 979 times)

Question: How do you put an e-mail address in your profile, so people can e-mail you privately if they choose?
    Go up to "Options" (upper rt corner of screen), choose "My Forum Preferences", then put your email in the signature box. Smile Modified to Add (MTA): Whoops. You said in your profile, not signature. So go to "Options", then "My Profile", and you can add your email in the "About Me" box if you want.

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, I tried that, and it works, but I'm not so sure I like it just hanging out there in broad daylight, for everyone to see. Kind of says, "HEY, YOU THERE, E-MAIL ME!!" when I really just wanted to create access to it without making it quite so blatant. Sometimes you want to send a private message to someone about a sensitive topic, or something you're a little shy about bringing out on the forum, and it's nice to have that option.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Wingz

Professional Noob

*deleted message* Too slow. Wink Holly - in order for us to see the email in your profile, you'll have to make your profile public. (Also under options --> my profile) Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Marathon Maniac #957

It's public, I think you just posted while I was in the middle of my modifying.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Wingz

Professional Noob

It's public, I think you just posted while I was in the middle of my modifying.
            Hmm... still not showing up as public... MTA: Did you hit the "update" button at the bottom of the screen? That acts like a "save" button and the changes you make won't take without it... Undecided

Wingz

Professional Noob

Showing now. Big grin Just not the email. Wink

Marathon Maniac #957

Well, what I had done was put my e-mail address in the signature box, like you said, but then my e-mail address showed up right under my avatar on every post. I don't want that. And in my profile, there's not a place to put e-mail address, just home page. I suppose I could put in one of the other boxes. I didn't realize they blow up my avatar so big. I suppose I should find a running photo. Can you use a different profile photo from your avatar?

Wingz

Professional Noob

Well, what I had done was put my e-mail address in the signature box, like you said, but then my e-mail address showed up right under my avatar on every post. I don't want that. And in my profile, there's not a place to put e-mail address, just home page. I suppose I could put in one of the other boxes. I didn't realize they blow up my avatar so big. I suppose I should find a running photo. Can you use a different profile photo from your avatar?
                  Yes, I was going to suggest putting it as your "home page" or in the "about me" section. You can upload any picture (single) you want for the profile. Check out mine. Big grin

TammyinGP

Well, it's always been a 40+ thread but if you slip the bouncer at the door a few bucks--or better yet, beers--he's been known not to check those IDs too closely.
                    gee, I didn't have to do either when I snuck in a little early . . . . I guess I must have been special . . . or maybe it was those hottub parties I was hosting that earned me special favor Shy

Tammy

Wingz

Professional Noob

gee, I didn't have to do either when I snuck in a little early . . . . I guess I must have been special . . . or maybe it was those hottub parties I was hosting that earned me special favor Shy
                      LOL! Here, I brought some beer... *passes case of beer* Sorry - It's Miller Lite. That's all the store had... Wink

Check out my signature line. I want it to read as 3 lines with the train thing on line 1, the Bi-Lo info on line 2, and the Masters Group link on line 3 but I can't seem to make it show up that way.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

va

Check out my signature line. I want it to read as 3 lines with the train thing on line 1, the Bi-Lo info on line 2, and the Masters Group link on line 3 but I can't seem to make it show up that way.
                          Hi Ray, use the < br="" /> html tag. "br" stands for "break". (note, don't use spaces before/after br)
                          sluggo

John

Hi Holly, I would not recommend putting your email address anywhere in RA or anywhere on the net unless you like lots of spam. Little net robots constantly "read" web pages looking for email addresses which are gathered together and used for distributing spam (or worse). So, if you do post an email address, use one you do not care about and are perfectly happy to abandon. Sometimes you will see people disguise their address in human recognizable format but not necessarily machine recognizable. Things like: gwbush at whitehouse dot gov or g w b u s h at w h i t e h o u s e dot g o v (ignore the spaces) but I would not use a valuable address even in these disguised shapes. I like the idea of having an easy way to contact people off the forum, but I don't have a good idea of how this can be done either. John

John
                            www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Tramps

LOL! Here, I brought some beer... *passes case of beer* Sorry - It's Miller Lite. That's all the store had... Wink
                              Miller Lite gets ya nuthin' but a look of disgust. Roll eyes

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

John - Good points. I do use a throwaway e-mail address at Yahoo for all my non-family correspondence, and it does indeed get lots of spam, but it has a huge trashbin. Smile However, I will keep in mind that point about disguising my e-mail from the spy-bots by using secret lingo if I do put it somewhere. It would be nice if there was some sort of private messaging possibility here. Every now and then you want to ask a question or make a comment to someone that might be about a topic you feel shy about posting on a public forum. Tramps - I happen to LIKE Miller Lite, ya know...