Masters Running

Fourth-of-July Racing/Running (Read 344 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy Fourth of July everyone, especially the ten other racers.

Watch out for alyygators Byll.

07/04 Ileneforward - La Palma 10k, LP CA
    07/04 tetsujin - Firecracker 5000 (Seattle) - barefoot - 33:00
    07/04 hermosaboy - Firecracker 10k, Exclesior, MN
    07/04 phillipfromga - Peachtree Road Race, Atlanta, GA
    07/04 runnerclay - Peachtree Road race 10k Atlanta,GA
    07/04 MilkTruck - LL Bean 10K, Freeport ME
    07/04 CNYrunner - Mt Desert Island Relay (4 legs), Mt. Desert Island, ME
    07/04 OrangeMat - 9/11 Tribute 5k, Glen Rock, NJ
    07/04 Bergar1 - Tri for Freedom (Sprint Triathlon), Coconut Creek, FL
    07/04 Sarge - Firecracker 4 mile Canfield, OH
    07/04 Coastwalker - 4 On The 4th, York, ME
    Wanted to get closer to 30 minutes but 3.1 festive miles in 33:00 is just fine at the annual Firecracker 5000 that started at 11:55 p.m. last night around the same popular Seattle Center where last week’s Rock’n’Roll Marathon started/finished (as well as for the upcoming Torchlight 8K and November’s Seattle Marathon). 
    Have you got puffed up only to get immediately deflated  One gal got me puffed up a little when I heard her comment "hot dog" to her friend as I passed them.  Got promptly popped through when a guy in a hot-dog costume passed all three of us!
    1,800 or so runners made it the biggest Firecracker since the event’s inception in 1984. Sorry to have missed my barefoot butterfly buddy (mariposai’s DS-1) though in this year’s run.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

I debated racing today, but a mid-week race would have spoiled my week, as I am racing a tenK on Saturday, then a 15K on a week from Sunday.  I should be ready.  6.1 miles slow this morning, day off planned for tomorrow, then a light workout on Friday.  Riblet is running with me on Saturday too, so I am pretty excited.  I love running with my boys. 

Happy Fourth everyone and good luck to today's racers.  Spareribs

In case anybody thinks on those rare occasions when I do have internet access that I fail to go back and read the prior few day's posts well you are wrong! So to start and end evanflien quit whining! Harumph! First of all I quite enjoy whining. Second, in Venice finding running clothes proved to be nearly impossible. Last, and certainly not least in any sense of the word is the price! These people are crazy! It costs about $50 per item here! No I am not kidding! It is death by VAT and who knows what. Well I broke down and can now run, other than naked. But boy did it hurt!

As to running, 6 yesterday and 12 today. Today was supposed to be 10 but this is Venice and so I got lost. You try navigating all those crazy streets interrupted by canals if you think getting around is so easy! When I finally did return to the hotel I had one mad DW. Fortunately breakfast was good and she is happy again!

Happy 4th of July to everybody. I hope to check in again in a few days.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning!  Wow--tet's starting us off this morning.  Yes--good luck to everybody racing, today.  I was already notified that my DD won her age group in a little 5k down in Iowa where her in-laws live.  Very hot as I'm sure it is all over, so be careful!

Speaking of hot--I waited until 9:45, last night, to go on a very hot and muggy...and buggy 10 miler.

Speaking of my 10 miler--my Garmin froze up on me and I ended up having to reset it.  I went ahead and ran my regular 10 miler that I always believed to be 10.22 until my Garmin told me that it was 10.13...well, last night, after resetting it, it said that it was 10.19.  Okay--I'll never bring up discrepancies in my Garmin ever again...promise.

Speaking of promises...oh...I guess I don't have anything for that one.

So--when it rains it pours.  As you know I have this new job--which I really wish I could tell you that I absolutely love but I don't want to lie, so I won't--but then I received another assignment from that writing company for 5 more non-fiction stories for 6th graders.  Then my DW's 97 year old grandmother died, yesterday--she was a fantastic lady who was so ready to join her husband in heaven, so it really is a blessing--but I have to write a eulogy for her funeral service.  AND on top of all of this, I am frantically trying to throw together a scrapbook for Eric for his gradaution party that is coming up on the 14th of this month.  And of course all the other day to things like mowing the lawn and, of course, running. 

Okay, I'll stop now.  You guys all have your own dang busy lives to deal with so I'll leave you alone, now.  Have a great 4th!!!

Happy Independence Day everyone,

4 mile race this morning, 82F at start 85? at finish humid too, any way I met my goal of breaking 31 minutes with a 30:47 (30:40 but no start mat)

age group 4th out of 30. Record crowd, I think, of 900+  

Big storm last nite with lots of rain so my umpiring gig is cancelled. That's OK we really needed the rain around here. All storms lately had been 30 miles south & north, bone dry here. 

Off to the bike trail, speaking of bikes  Doug I sent you a messsage.  

Twocat 12 mil run in Venice sounds wonderful....

Have a joyous day!   

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy 4th of July!  Most of the Colorado firework displays have been cancelled because of the wildfires. 

Mike, really sorry to hear about your DW's grandmother.  And sorry your job isn't perfect - hope it's not too bad, though.  Sounds like you're pretty busy - no rest for the wicked?  Wink

Speaking of Garmin discrepancies, mine said the elevation change on this morning's muggy 5 miler was +/-2200 ft - in pancake-flat Moorestown NJ!    I don't think so. I wonder if the 5 miles was correct?  Based on time, it probably was.

I'm flying home this afternoon since I have to work tomorrow.  My DH is staying here in NJ with his folks till Sunday. 

My sister is watching Tazzie and Ladybug for us while we're away - yesterday she said Tazzie escaped over the fence and went exploring the neighborhood, but she's back now.  So she's only allowed out under supervision now.  I feel bad that my sister has to deal with keeping Tazzie on a leash, and worrying about her when she ran off.  I won't be able to drive up to Laramie to get the dogs till after work on Friday.

Enjoy the holiday, folks! Happy running.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Happy Freedom Day AMERICA!!!

SpareRibs, it is great to hear that Riblet is running with you this Saturday! I really enjoy running with my boys as well.

Great to see a twocat sighting today. 

Tetsujin, my boys did that firecracker race last year and they really, really enjoyed it.

Safe travel, WildChild! 

MikeE, it takes time to lover  your new gig It took me over a year to really start enjoying my new job. Enjoy all your writing.

Go racers go!

Well, yesterday I ran 4 miles with some zombiesleks, thinking that I would run a MLR today, but my ankle started bothering me towards the end of the run, so I decided to take a day of rest today. It was rather fun to see my DH go out alone today for his 3 miles run! 

Now off to the woods for some hinking!

Happy 4th to all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

Happy Birthday to everyone who is celebrating today, including Econo!

Tammy, I'm very sorry about Jasmine, but you did the right thing for her and for you. It seems that you were both very fortunate to have each other in your lives, and now you have some great memories to cherish.

Sorry the "hot dog" comment was mis-applied, Tet.

Mike, I'm also sorry that the job isn't all you'd hope it would be. But, as Mariposai said, give it some time, and maybe it'll grow on you. In the meantime, enjoy the writing assignments. My condolences to your DW on her grandmother's passing.

Mariposai, you always have wonderful things (except for that ankle) happening in your life, and a wonderful perspective on it all. Thanks for being an inspiration.

We just finished painting our bedroom a few weeks ago: I did the cutting/edging, and DW rollered the walls. Neither of us are stubborn (yeah, right.), so we've learned to keep emotions in check and be respectful of each other when we work on projects together. Most of the time, it works out pretty well. But there were some projects early on in our marriage where things got a little contentious. Living and learning...

It didn't start raining this morning until I was about half-way up to York, ME for the "4 On The 4th." It almost stopped raining about 10 minutes before the 8am start, but that was just a tease. Actually, with temps in the upper 60 and muggy air, the rain was refreshing, especially during the race. I didn't see any other racewalkers after the start, so I just keyed off runners passing me to let them help pull me along for a bit. I had a good sprint to the finish, and even managed to pass a runner in the last 15 yards or so. My Garmin had me at 41:50 (4.01 miles) for about a 10:26 pace. Not my best, but good enough (with little competition) to win the racewalking division today. This afternoon, we're going to a lobster bash at a near-by neighbor's house, and I'm so ready for a party and some lobstah!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

pfriese

Happy Birthday Econo and Peter. I bicycled 56 miles this morning to commemorate my 56th trip around the sun.

Have a great 4th of July.

Paul

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Happy Birthday Peter, Paul and Econo!! (sounds like a 70s singing group, no?)

Happy Birthday America!!

So sorry for your wife's loss, Mike E. But she sounds like she was in the caliber of CNY's Super Granny, so that's a wonderful thing to have lived that long and that well.

Wildchild, you're in Morristown and you didn't let me know? I'm 40 minutes east of there and would've gladly driven out. Oh well, I'll be seeing you soon enough... Smile Safe travels!

Mari, take care of that ankle!

Sounds like you had yet another productive morning and great race, Jay, good for you!

A festive 3.1 miles, I like that, Tet! Mine were more humid than celebratory this morning, with my 5k clocking in at 25:46. Only 8 seconds slower than my PR of two weeks ago, I'll take it. Smile

Happy 4th to all!

evanflein

Happy Birthday to Econo, Paul and Peter! The whole country will be celebrating with you today! I always wondered how that would be to have your birthday on a holiday. My brother's birthday is Dec. 14 and as a kid he hated it because he'd get one present to cover both holidays from his sisters. We'd try to make it a special present, more than we'd spring for on either occasion alone, but I think he quickly realized we were just cheap. 

Glad to hear that Twocat broke down and contributed to the local economy so he can run fully clothed. Although in Venice it probably wouldn't be a problem to venture out au naturale...

That Firecracker 5000 sounds like fun. I like races with a twist, like starting at 11:55 p.m. Although here that would be in the daylight! Nice time for you, Jon, really. I'm another who is impressed with your running-only-in-races approach to training. 

Mike E, at least you have a job, whether it's perfect or not. Many people would jump on the chance to trade places with you. And being too busy is a nice problem to have. 

Carolyn, have a good trip back. You've certainly had a wonderful trip this summer, meeting all the RA peeps on the way to spend time with your DD. And I think Tazzie just misses you. I sure hope the fires settle down soon. A lot of our fire crews, who are usually crazy busy here this time of year, have gone to CO to help fight the fires.

Like Spareribs, I had a race tentatively on my schedule for today, but that was before this shin problem popped up. It feels much better now but not ready for 5k action yet, so I'll just try an easy run today to test it out. I do have an 8k next Saturday that I want to be ready for, and need to ease into some hill work for my race on the 22nd. 

Dave59

I am done with summer racing for good.  I "ran" a 10k this morning and it was Green Bay all over again.  Scorching sun and hotter than blazes.  I jogged the course in 1:02:10.  15 minutes off my pr that I set at this race last year.  I felt ok in this one.  No dizziness or sick to my stomach.  But the skin on my face felt like it was burning off.

Is there any point to it?  I could have run around my neighborhood when I woke up and been done before the sun was up.  Instead I drive 45 miles to run on open farm roads.  People were out baking pizzas on the street.

C-R

I get it Dave. our 4.5 miler for Carmel Freedom Fest was more like a replay of Boston only shorter. I did finish in a reasonable time and got a chance to watch some of my running friends kids at their race. That was worth it.

MikeE - good luck with the writing and sorry for the loss. Jobs take time to acclimate. You'll get there based on the connection you had with the boss in previous posts.

Happy birthday Peter, Paul and Econo (sounds like a band).

Driving home from my mom's last night I was able to watch several fireworks displays of small towns close to the interstate. It sure was a nice distraction from the road.

Happy 4th everyone and be safe.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Peter, Paul and I got our runs in today before we play the big fireworks show tonight. Springsteen canceled due to bronchitis so we were asked to fill in. Y'all come! (uh, this means we'd better rehearse, guys). A hilly 10k race for me today; very pleased with my time.

King of PhotoShop

And happy birthday to you Econo.  Spareribs