Masters Running

4-7-15 Happy Beer Day! (Read 36 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Apparently, this commemorates the start of the repeal of Prohibition, when beer and wine was allowed to be sold.  Always tasty after a run, but it's a bit tough when the run finishes up at 6:30am.  Maybe dinner tonight.

anyway, 4 miles around the lake this morning.  38°F and no wind made for perfect weather.  The threat of rain must have scared everyone off, as there were very few folks out as compared to normal.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

Good morning Stumpy. Good run for you. Thst run around the lake must be lovely. Looking forward to seeing you in Boston.

Well, I finally had the chance to run my last long run before Boston after work last night.  15 miles in a gorgeous but windy weather.  The last 3 miles were at MP and I felt strong the whole way. Boston  here I come.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Well tet, here's a toast to Sohn Kee-Chung.  How bittersweet to win the Olympic gold in the marathon, but be forced to do so in the name of another country.  So many stories out there; humbling, isn't it?  OH, and lots of folks are going to learn of the UW crew team; The Boys in the Boat is going to be made into a movie.  Should be good; I think the fellow behind "Friday Night Lights" is on board the production.  Maybe we should plan a west coast trip in 2016 to see it with you?

Love the office pics, Steve.

psst.....Kevin, over here...........(hee hee, we know why folks were sparse on the lake......they were celebrating.  OK, let's just jump and shout and get it out of our systems so as not to annoy anyone here............. wheeeeee, that was a good one!)

9 for me this morning in the high 60s, humidity creeping in, so I'm still slow.     Happy to be running, without an ankle brace or thigh sleeve, even!

thinking about hitting the bridge after work.....the ol' quads let me know they have been snoozing and didn't appreciate the wake-up call in Reston.  I hear Somerville is hilly.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning Stumpy. Good run for you. Thst run around the lake must be lovely. Looking forward to seeing you in Boston.

Well, I finally had the chance to run my last long run before Boston after work last night.  15 miles in a gorgeous but windy weather.  The last 3 miles were at MP and I felt strong the whole way. Boston  here I come.

Haven't heard--is the Easy Pacer coming with you this time?  had a great time talking with him last trip.  And now I'm pretty sure he's faster than I am.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Henrun

Yesterday my L knee was complaining bitterly after all the walking in Manhattan and climbing up and down subway steps. Felt better this am but went on a short walk while Marj was running. More walking this pm on our last full day in NYC while we hit more museums.

Got a reminder from my library that Boys in the Boat is ready for pickup.

Note to Tet: as a 2 year old I may have been taken to the 1936 Olympics???

King of PhotoShop

Good news for you Mariposai that your 15-miler ended on a strong note.  You are ready.  Felt the same way over the weekend about Robin who had a very depleting run.  She will be strong race day I bet.

Sunday's T'storm messed up our intended 8 miler so we did it today in the park on a very warm, humid morning, about 10:40 pace.

Spareribs

Dave59

I woke up at 4:15 to meet the hill gang.  I was really, really, tired but I promised I would be there so I got up.  I did a quick check on Facebook to make sure it was still on and fortunately it was 35°, windy, and rainy so no one else was going.

I went back to bed and slept 2 more hours.

At lunch, I went downtown and did the hill workout on my own.  Not the full workout, but 3 times up (instead of 5) 3 different sides of the hill.  Ended up with 6 miles even, though I had to run past my car about 80 feet to get the Garmin up to an even 6.

Windy and a bit cold today.  I warmed up some chili when I got home and that helped my insides.  Now I am thinking a cup of hot coffee to hold and warm up my hands.

Happy Beer Day , indeed!

Good runs everyone, especially those starting the Boston taper.

Speaking of beer, did anyone else to a double take at the Michelob Ultra ads with the runner.  Even my DH, uber-couch potato that he is, said "Hey!  That's not what real runners drink!  I've watched them....."

Did the usual spin class this morning, with extra work for the core and the hips after as my knees are starting to complain a bit at night.  Must nip this in the bud, as it's a long time until October.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

C-R

The ending of Prohibition anniversary. The pubs will be full tonight.

Thanks for the book ideas. Have them on reserve at the local library. Well I'm in line anyway.

Sounds like some folks are ready for Boston. Good to hear. Got another double (morning and lunch) today. Seems my routine anymore. One easy and one solid effort. Hope it gets me to the finish in a decent time. What are the Boston plans for the group?

Take care of that knee henrun.

Tet's post made me smile and Ribs proves you can't be a slave to your running calendar.

Back to the salt mine.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

steve, you are a good Easter bunny.  Aamos, nice half for you and your husband.

Nice long runs for Holly, DrRobin, mari, and evan.

We were at our son's for Easter and I started the day at their place with a 3 mile run.  This morning, it was in the mid 30s and there was a little wind.  Dave's rain didn't get this far, or was earlier than when I got up.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:23 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

http://www.makingthymeforhealth.com/2013/12/04/best-ever-chocolate-quinoa-cake-gluten-free/

Erika - I know it sounds crazy, but this was really one of the best cakes I've ever made!!  Once the quinoa is soaked and cooked it's blended with the unsweetened almond milk and by the time you add eggs, sugar (coconut sugar), coconut oil, butter, vanilla, you will never know there is quinoa in there!!  Also the frosting of coconut milk and chocolate chips (i use Enjoy Life chips) is divine!!

Tuesday is my swim, computrain day - 2 great work outs!!  Went to PT - we are really working on getting my hips and glutes to do the work they have been slacking on.  He thinks once we get them firing properly again my heel issues and any other weak areas in my body will start feeling much better!!  I need to take the exercises seriously and get them done daily!!

Happy Tuesday all!!

denise

Good to hear that mariposai had a strong run.

Fly by post - about 3.3 mile run this morning with Remi - so lots of stopping to sniff whatever he sniffs.  Knee might be better, at least it never hurt during the run, it is the day or two after that it gets really stiff.

In my son's grade 9 gym class, they slowly work up over several weeks to doing a 4 mile run.  He did it non-stop, and now wants to go trail running with me.   This is my very unsporty, geeky son who could not even run one lap of the track just two years ago without stopping.  He can now run better than me in my current condition. 

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Seems like I missed a hot discussion on the number of spaces after a period yesterday! Oh there I go again, two spaces then backspace.  When oh when will it end!  

rochrunner I am half convinced calorie burning, or rather food enjoying, is why half of runners run.

deez4boyz quinoa and cake in the same phrase?    Hard to believe!

evanflein I am not sure, should we be rooting for rain to head your way to wash out the tire tracks?

tetsujin209 you mean they had typewriters when you were in high school!    I would have thought they were invented years later! 

SteveP somehow I can see your offspring and their offspring thinking you would be the Easter bunny pretty much their whole lives.  One with a Batman mask perhaps, but hopping around each Easter nevertheless.

stumpy77 happy beer day to you too!

Mariposai congratulations on your final big pre-marathon tuneup.

AamosY somehow I think I could learn to live with winning an Olympic gold in the name of nearly any country!  (Although, I must admit not quite all.)  Also, do not hit bridges!  They are made of steal and concrete and really hurt if you hit them hard!  

henrun  see note to AamosY.  Museums, just like bridges, are made of steal and concrete.  The stuff is just configured differently, but is still really, really hard if you hit it.  It is hard even if you do not hit it.  But then at least you do not get hurt by it.  

Spareribs weather can be soooo annoying!

Dave59 wow, tough workout!

Hemerocallus good luck with keeping those knees in line, so to speak.

tselbs I am personally happy to now be thinking, "It is only in the 30s out!  What gives with it being so cold!"  Better than, "Yes!  In the 30s!  Warmer at last!"

enkephalin the problem with life is that past the mid-30s we all get slower and those younger keep getting faster!  It is not fair!  We worked more years on running then they did and they are now faster!  

I got home late yesterday from work but managed to run 8 miles anyway.  Daylight savings time to the rescue!  Then this morning I got up and found out it would rain this afternoon so I went for 10 miles first thing in the morning.  Sort of an odd double day run in that there were only 12 hours between the two runs.

Given various impediments to my training these past few weeks, I am going to push back my marathon target date a few weeks.  The current candidate is one in North Bend Indiana.  The reviews seem to be pretty good and it is a fairly short plane ride from NYC.  Anyway, I am still not committing by signing up or anything.  Just thinking about it.  If anyone here knows anything about that marathon I am all ears!  Well, maybe eyes.  I am not so good at reading with my ears.  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

In my son's grade 9 gym class, they slowly work up over several weeks to doing a 4 mile run.  He did it non-stop, and now wants to go trail running with me.   This is my very unsporty, geeky son who could not even run one lap of the track just two years ago without stopping.  He can now run better than me in my current condition. 

This is awesome!

SteveP

Heme - Snork.

Kudos to your DS, Enke.

Tag and I hit trails. I tried to find a new path close to creeks so the dog can refresh when ever he wants. We went down one ridge and still had to go a ways before we got to the river. Then the banks were still pretty steep. On the way back up, I had to either put my foot against a tree or hold a small tree and also pull myself up. The dog can do whatever he wants, but I'm not going there again. As fun as I was, it was also a little to much like work.

SteveP