Masters Running

Sunday 8/6 Daily (Read 35 times)

This is me DW's and my last day in Europe. What a trip! It is going to be such a drag returning to real life. I am guessing, that the eight day hike  covered less than half of the official UTMB route. But, what it did cover was amazing. The views are indescribable! I wish I could post some here. We met several wonderful people on the trip that I hope will turn into long term fiends. If you have a chance to do a trip like it, I can unequivocally recommend doing so.

As to a recap, all have with me is a phone. Plus, with limited internet, I have not really been keeping up. So I will just have to apologize for ending here.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

This is me DW's and my last day in Europe. What a trip! It is going to be such a drag returning to real life. The eiggt

...yes,

I hear ''The eiggt'' is the Worst Part.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsJ7arn1GCM

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat - I wish we could see your photos, too! Sounds like an amazing trip!

Yesterday we had two other couples come up from KY on their Harley's and we rode up to a MC event about 1.5 hours north (taking the country roads) and ate BBQ, listened to a band, and played the motorcycle games.  One of the games was new to me - riding on the back while DH drives and I shoot a paintball gun at a target - fun!  I hit the target 2 out of 3 shots, but another couple go all three, so no trophy.

We got home and I made birria tacos for dinner (I had done the meat in the crock pot the day before) which was a big hit.  Today I made a big breakfast for the group, and then they headed back down south home.  These are the same people we will share a cabin with in a couple of weeks.

I have felt headachy and mildly hung over all morning, even though I did not have a drop of  alcohol yesterday.  I think it may be overall stiffness from riding the Harley for about 4 hours yesterday.  Even as a passenger it can beat you up a little bit.

Rest day.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hi friends 

Twocat - sounds like a great trip!!
          8.5 mile run, .6 mile cool-down, church, heading out for a ride on the boat soon. Kids went home but Mom is with us now.

I love Maine!!

denise

Thanks, Tramps.  I’m glad the trip was great.  Good luck adjusting back to real life.   Holly- I bet you are worn out and achy from the 4 hours on the bike- AND entertaining everyone!  It all sounds fun, though.

4.5 miles for me- back to very warm and humid and the course I picked didn’t have enough shade.  Ugh.

Happy Sunday.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Twocat - sorry you had to leave Mt.B and come back to regular life. Such an iconic mountain with a world wide reputation even before the UTMB started in 2003.  With this year's races at the end of the month, did you see any runners already training for it?

tom - the link to the dancing eiggt didn't help.  Eiger?

Finally got the ChargePoint app working (ed. note: app works fine; he finally just figured it out) and learned that the two hours ten minutes it took to replenish 17 miles to get the charge up to Volt's summer full of 35 miles found out it cost $1.32 to do so.  If a gas guzzler got 34 mpg, it would've taken a half gallon which, around here, at $5.13/gal would have been $2.56 so electricity is about half as much.  Yippee.

ps - apparently, the noise during Taylor Swift's "Shake it Off" last week at our local football stadium whatever it is called now registered 2.3 on the Richter Scale or whatever its called now thereby besting the 2.0 during a Seahawks playoff game touchdown in 2011, . . . when they were good too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

''tom - the link to the dancing eiggt didn't help.  ''

...well,

ya seen one eiggt, ya seen 'em all.......

==========

but I digress.....

...........20-min TM...........for no apparent reason..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

...yes,

I hear ''The eiggt'' is the Worst Part.......

I dunno, sometimes the eiggt is greta.

7.25 mid day miles. It was kind of nice to get out before the winds, morning was even better but I couldn't go until noon.

My tranny is throwing a 0715 DTC sometimes, so I scheduled a repair asap, and that sap is the 21st. The "fix" is to replace the lead frame, which includes the input and output speed sensors as well as TCM. However, Ford doesn't sell just that, you have to buy it attached to a new valve body. It'll be about a $3k repair with the labor; because the T250 requires complete removal of front suspension and crossmember to even remove the transmission pan. Which is the only thing you need to remove to get at the lead frame/valve body. I'd do this myself and save $2k, but I can't do much overhead work for very long before I get a vertigo-like illness. I strongly suspect that a simple cleaning of the sensor(s) and flush of the system would fix the issue, because it's probably metal bits and other gunk blocking the sensor, but they don't "repair" things anymore, they just start replacing parts until they replace the broken one and it works again. Meanwhile, I discovered a work-around so it doesn't throw the code and light up my dash with CEL and a flashing wrench, and have hard shifts: I use the manual shift mode. This works 95% of the time, but I had it do the thing a couple times yesterday on an outing to Marin even in manual shift mode. Well worth the repair, since my 2015 van is now worth more than I paid for it new, because of supply/demand and inflation. And I'll never have to worry about the tranny again for as long as I own it.

Meanwhile, my executor duties require me to be in Oregon, and I can't drive this week, so I'm flying up and borrowing my Mom's extra car. On the bright side, I'll get to run in the Oregon Track Club Run/Walk 5k at Dorris Ranch on Thursday. This will be the 5th race I've done this year, nearly triple the number of races I usually do.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Twocat, sounds like a great trip! Sorry about the impending return to reality.

I was at MBE's house yesterday. We took the bus downtown then walked to the pier where US and Canadian naval ships were having free tours. We waited in line for at least an hour, and it barely moved. Looked like it would be another 3 hours at least to get a tour. So we walked all the way back to his house, stopping for lunch halfway (i think about 6 miles). Altogether, we walked about 7.5 miles yesterday and my feet could tell (plus all the standing).

Today, lots of weeding. Still have a few more hours to do, just in the backyard alone to get it reasonable. The front yard will have to wait. Have I ever mentioned yardwork is my least favorite thing to do?

Installed 2 new smoke detectors. Those ones from Costco that say they last 10 years on a lithium battery - they lie. They last about 18 months. So I have reverted to 9V battery detectors.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Good afternoon all.

Twocat, sounds like you guys had a blast. Europe can be a fun place!

deez4boyz, great 8.5 mile run on a Sunday!

Karen, good 4.5 miler, I figured it was hot and humid. It seems to be everywhere...

Surly Bill nice 7.25 mile run. Sorry to hear about your Ford. You are right that now instead of repair, they remove and replace. Sad really.

Got out with the boys for a 10.5 miler in the heat and humidity. We had to change our  planned route because of a large fire at a lumber yard that had smoke drifting into the last leg of the run so we had to change up on the fly. We got it done. Have a great Sunday evening all!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Surly - restoring the gas engine in our Chevy Volta for the dealer's "$5,000 as a starting point" is about what they are blue-booked at but, since we don't need to go further than the 15 mile electric range that hasn't ever had any mechanicals (and non-dealers don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole), it's good enough for us, especially now, though few and far between for the Volt's J-plug connection,  that I'm figuring out the EV charge stations, probably will be or a long time.

ETA - glacier flooding:

When DD called up and said that the river from the lake at the foot of the glacier was up to their driveway, I knew it was a dream because her house is a half mile from the river that, though it floods every spring in late April and early May from the easily melting year's still soft snow pack on top of the glacier, the outlet's never gone over the banks and it's low water galore in the summer with lots of exposed erratics to play on in those days and, hoping you don't fall in, jump to but when the softening ice banks holding in the cute little lake on the other side of the glacier I used see on summertime trail runs up to the 4,000' summit on that side broke up, all the water in the little lake on the glacier flowed down and through water tunnels under the glacier itself to raise up the lake into beaver dams and nature trails along the lake front and did a Benoulli upwelling between the constricted river banks carrying homes away, precariously positioning others and meandering along the valley's roadways in front of homes like DD.

Apparently, it's going down now but the whitish milky glacier flour'll probably be on the streets until the next rain.  There's lots of newsreel feeds of a big grey, two story home collapsing into it with another of my favorite hikes where I had the black wolf encounter up the mountain in the background.  whew.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Surly Bill -  Did you get the NB Super Comp Trainer v 2 yet?  I just got it and today was my first run.  I like it and the ankle issue is fixed, as you said.  It DOES seem to have a narrow toe box and run a little short.  It's going to work for me, but I was surprised.  It's shorter than all my other shoes.

Surly Bill -  Did you get the NB Super Comp Trainer v 2 yet?  I just got it and today was my first run.  I like it and the ankle issue is fixed, as you said.  It DOES seem to have a narrow toe box and run a little short.  It's going to work for me, but I was surprised.  It's shorter than all my other shoes.

I haven't worn out V1 yet.

NB lasts seem to be all over the place; my RC Elite V2 fit 1/2 size small, but the Rebel2 I had to go up a full size because they were short. The SC Trainer V1 fits true to size.

After getting the Superblast, I don't know if I'll try the SCTv2. Other than being 1/2 to full size too long, I haven't had any complaints. The SCTv1 by comparison feels harder to run in.

I like the feel of the SC 2 better as far as running.  They reduced the stack height and it isn’t quite as soft- but still nice and soft.  But you are right, there is no telling about fit with NB!  I like room in the toe so I go up a full size from street shoe size (1/2 size in Hoka) and these are barely long enough even going up the full size.

I like the feel of the SC 2 better as far as running.  They reduced the stack height and it isn’t quite as soft- but still nice and soft.  But you are right, there is no telling about fit with NB!  I like room in the toe so I go up a full size from street shoe size (1/2 size in Hoka) and these are barely long enough even going up the full size.

That's the problem with buying online; you don't get to try on several sizes. Sure, you can send them back and wait a few days for another pair to show up. I sent back my first pair of Rebel2. I bought the Superblast at Eugene Running company (on sale for $160, and tax-free!) so I was able to try on 10 and 10.5. Initially I was thinking the 10.5 would fit ok because it's for long runs, but it was huge on my foot. They didn't have any 9.5 left, and I think those would fit perfect, but the 10 was close enough, and fine with the thicker Injinji Trail socks. This is the first pair of Asics I've had since maybe the 1990's. I like the midsole so much I might have to check out the Metaspeed Sky for racing. But then again, I have the Alphaflies already, and there's nothing wrong with them for racing. Other than they are super loud!

THUNK THUNK THUNK THUNK

But so are the SCT v1...because of the exposed plate in the outsole?