Masters Running

The Battle of Richmond RR (Read 593 times)

Tramps

[Just the facts summary data at the end.]

The Battle of Richmond (Marathon RR, 11/12/11)

Race:  I’ve run Richmond several times, with mixed results:

• 2006, my first marathon, 4:04:20; temps reaching upper 70s—one degree shy of a record.
    • 2007, 3:47:39.  Solid improvement; 20-degrees cooler than the previous year.
    • 2008, DNF (my one and only).  95% humidity and 67F at the start…I felt bad at mile 1 and bailed at mile 16, feeling terrible.

After 2 out of 3 races in unusually warm and humid temps, I didn’t run Richmond for a couple of years.  Now, I thought I’d give it another shot. 

Training and Goals: As of the start of 2011, I had a huge 10-minute+ gap between my top two marathon finishes:

• (PR) 3:25:40 March 2009, National
    • 2nd 3:36:09 November 2009, Philly

After failing several times to come close to my perfect-day PR, I vowed to squash the nagging feeling that it was a one-time fluke by creeping up on it.  The goal of this Spring’s marathon was to slice the 10-minute gap in half, finishing about in the middle of those top two times, which I did (3:30:23 National).  I kept my mileage up through the H&H summer, which I’ve not done before, and followed a plan based on Pfitz, which I’ve not tried before.  After a solid year of consistent mileage, and weather permitting, it was time: the goal of this Fall’s marathon was nothing less than a new PR. 

• Primary Goal:  PR via a sub 3:25.  (7:49 pace). 
    • Back up Goal: 2nd best marathon ever via a sub 3:30.  (8:00 pace)
    • Crazy stretch—if the planets all align—pigs fly—hell freezes over—I’m feeling remarkably strong even after mile 22 kind of day—but would never dare go out at this pace—goal: Sub 3:20 (7:37 pace)

Weather: I’m a cold weather runner. My one hesitation about signing up for Richmond was the possibility of another year of too-warm weather.  The forecast:  40F at the start with a noontime temp of 57F.  Sweet!  However, winds were forecast to increase from 10mph at the start to 19mph by the finish.  That could be tricky in some spots.   Still, no excuses with the weather.

Course

Richmond's a nice, varied course with no huge hills (see elevation below).  Some key spots:

• Downhills: across the bridge to mile 8, a more modest downhill to mile 15
    • Uphills: modest from 10-to-12 and more significant from 15-to-18;
    • Long, exposed mile 16 over the Lee Bridge (and a few other spots) can be tough in the wind.

I lived in Richmond for a decade.  This time, especially, I decided to try to use my knowledge of the course to my advantage.  I mentally broke up the course into short 3-4 mile segments based on key turns and landmarks.  My plan was to run relaxed, not worrying about mile splits, but to respect the distance and check my pacing at the mile markers near these key landmarks.  (I made a small pace chart with just these key miles 4, 8, 11, 15, 18, 21, 25.)  During my training, I also did one long run on the last 18 miles of the course trying to burn the terrain into my mind. 

Race Day

Taper time was interesting.  I felt like I was chomping at the bit, ready to run, until Thursday when I came crashing down to earth. I felt sluggish and had a terrible run.  Was my taper too long?  Friday morning, the winds were howling outside, bringing down the autumn leaves in big waves.  15mph, just what I'd be facing on race day.

[…to be continued.  ]

I hate rushing in the morning so we were up at 4:30, even though it’s just a 75 minute drive to downtown Richmond.  I checked the last minute online weather forecasts and the various sites were in agreement about temps—about 40F at the start and 58F by noon.  They also agreed that the wind would be picking up through the morning.  But they disagreed about how much.  One site predicted 20 mph winds, another just 10mph.  That could be a key difference.

I had my usual bagel, banana, and coffee and TriBee graciously offered to drive and generally handle logistics for the day, which was fine with me.  It’s an easy drive, park, and short walk to the start area.  The 8K and half-marathoners were starting earlier, the full at 8 a.m.  They announced a record field of marathon participants, over 5,000.  [That must be # registered; results show 3787.] But Richmond’s still small enough for everything to feel easy.  There are lots of porta-johns, which are always appreciated, and I could line up with a jacket and hat on and hand them to TriBee over the barrier just a minute before the start.  Soon enough, we were off.

The first couple of miles are a straight shot down the appropriately named Broad Street, with many commercial and university (VCU) buildings.  Plenty of room to navigate so I was able to ease into a comfortable pace almost immediately.  The sun was shining, the temp was 40F at the start, and I felt great.  I was committed to staying positive whatever happened today. 

My goal was to stay between my 7:49 PR pace and the 7:38 outlier; nothing faster and hopefully nothing slower.  The exception was the first mile, which I wanted to run easy.  I checked my pace at the mile one marker expecting it to be about 8:10 or so.  Nope, 7:39.  Oops, too fast but nothing fatal.  It felt easy.  That was a good sign, I think to myself.  Be positive. But keep it under control, there’s a long way to go.

There are local bands at a few spots, one doing a credible version of Tom Petty’s “Running Down  a Dream.”  I soak up the energy and smile.  I followed my strategy of ignoring pace until the next “landmark,” a turn at mile 4 that takes you into a residential neighborhood.  Average pace so far: 7:40.  It feels very comfortable.

Throughout the race I thought of CNY’s comment to not over-think this; just run.  (Thanks, Karin!) Whenever I started thinking, “Am I going too fast?  Too slow?” I’d remind myself: Just run.  I settled into a comfortable but not-too-easy pace. 

My next marker was mile 8. On the way there, we enjoy the day’s steepest downhill (still known by locals as “Lee’s Revenge” from the days when the marathon went the opposite direction and you climbed this hill).  When we reached the hill’s bottom I said out loud, “Well that was fun” and a young 20-something woman—who’s name I later learned was Wendy—laughed and we chatted a bit.  Next, is one of several “party zones”—easy-to-park areas where spectators are encouraged to congregate, bands play, etc.  It’s just before the first bridge where people crowd out onto the street, making a narrow tunnel for runners to pass through.  Music’s blaring, people cheering and high-fiving.  It’s very loud and you can’t help but be pumped up. 

But just as abruptly, you are on a bridge out over the James River and it’s silent.  A beautiful autumn day; we’re heading south and it occurs to me there’s only a light breeze.  I realize, winds are not going to be an issue today! We follow the ramp down off the bridge and hit mile 8.  My pace is unchanged: 7:40.  This is the fast end of my pace window but I know the first half is much easier than the second, so that’ll be slowing shortly.  I’m good.

We follow the James River for two miles, which is very pretty.  It’s quiet and I chat with a few runners.  At the end of this stretch, a guy has taken it upon himself to park a van, blast some music, rap, and call out to racers by their number.  A one-man party zone!  He’s great; we all laugh.  We need the energy as we hit the first uphills through a residential neighborhood; nothing big, but you do feel it.  At the top we turn onto the southernmost part of the course and reach my 11 mile marker.  Average pace?  Still 7:40.

The next section, heading to mile 15, is a mixed area, some residential, some commercial, and the edge of a park.  It’s very exposed and I start feeling the warm sun. I notice I’m breathing a more heavily now.  I take my second gel of the day at mile 12, which helps.  I feel a spurt of energy.  Just run. 

I pass the 13.1 mat at 1:40:22 (I later learn).  Then, nearing 15, I hear my name being called and look over to see TriBee waving frantically.  She asks how I feel.  I yell, “I feel good!  I knew that I would!”  I’m not sure she gets the James Brown reference but the brief interaction picks me up.  Average pace by mile 15?  7:39.  I’m happy to see that I’m hanging in there. 

I feel good…mile 15.  (I stop to ask about the SUV for sale in the background, but they wanted way too much.)

We immediately turn north to go over the James River again, this time on the Lee Bridge.  It’s a full one mile from one side to the other, followed by two miles through the university and a funky commercial “Uptown” neighborhood.  All the while, you’re heading uphill—albeit quite modestly.  But coming when it does, this section is probably the toughest of the day for many people.  The bridge is long and exposed to the sun, and then you hit those sneaky uphills.  I know they’re coming until mile 18 so I’m ready.  After mile 17 you are rewarded with a wet towel stop.  Ah.  I take a third gel heading to mile 18, average pace: 7:41.  I’m slowing a bit, but more importantly my effort level has increased significantly.  This is starting to hurt.  Next stop: mile 21.

I chased down, and passed, this guy on the Lee Bridge.  Sweet.

To get there we head north through the museum district, some commercial spots, and the minor league ball park, The Diamond.  I remember in earlier races feeling like this stretch took forever but today I know it’s three miles and I’m ready for it, including the bridge climb over I-95.  I finish without losing more time: at mile 21 my average pace is still 7:41.  That’s right in my target window.  I think for a moment about whether a sub 3:20 is a possibility; I’d have to make a move now.  But I’m working very hard just to maintain this pace; I’d need to speed up considerably to shoot for sub 3:20.  That doesn’t seem feasible.  Just run.

I avoid hitting the proverbial wall.

Ever since mile 11, Wendy and I —remember Wendy?— have been leap-frogging each other.  My guess is she’s a college student on some sort of team, since she’s wearing what appears to be a uniform and she’s gotten shout-outs from folks along the way.  We don’t talk much, just a few “You’re looking strong.”  “Nice pace” and the like.  She walks through water stations, when I pass her, then she catches up and passes me.  Around mile 18, other runners are starting to fade.  I see my first walkers.  I realize I can’t count on the person ahead of me to be going my same pace; many are slowing down.  Wendy, though, is chugging right along with a smooth stride, ponytail bouncing.  By mile 21, I see her maybe 20 yards ahead and vow to hang on. I lost track of her at some point, but she unknowingly helped me a lot for several miles. [I later found out she was a very young looking 34 and finished just 5 seconds ahead of me, the 30th woman.]

It's warming up as we head south, often looking at the sun.  I take two waters at several stops, one to dump on my head or back. The once-dreaded wind turns out to be a pleasant breeze helping to cool us.

The casualties are mounting.  Folks with cramps, exhaustion, and desperate looks appear more frequently.  I have no cramps, no real aches or pains.  My stomach’s held up great.  No one's passing me and I'm passing lots of people.  I’m tired, though.  Really tired now.  It’s hit me quickly.  I took my third gel (with caffeine) at mile 21 and I’m hoping for a little buzz from it to kick in.  It doesn’t but I’m clear-headed, which has not always been the case in past races.  My legs, though, are dying.  They have that numbness that comes with a total loss of energy.  I feel like they are some sort of heavy robotic appendages and I’m not entirely in control.  At a couple of spots, I hit uneven pavement and feel like I’m bouncing around, focusing hard not to trip. Just run. 

Then my one incident of the day occurs.  I grab water from a volunteer to my right.  A couple of steps later, the guy to my left reaches right across my face to grab a cup of Powerade.  I manage to put my hand up to protect my face and bang into his arm just as he grabs the cup.  In what seems like slow motion to me, the cup is catapulted into the air, followed by an arc of red Powerade against a bright blue sky.  Oops.  I yell “Sorry” over my shoulder, though it’s really his fault, and just keep going.  Everybody’s tired now.

Then the Lord comes to rescue me.  Well, at least the sound of a gospel choir singing some infectious hand-clapping gospel call-and-response starts to waft over the air.  I love it! I suspect they’re affiliated with Virginia Union University, which is coming up.  As I get closer, I hear the leader rhythmically calling, “I’m not tired!”  And the chorus responds, “I’m not tired.”  It’s perfect!  I sing along in my head and give them a big thumbs up as I pass. 

After a tough stretch and small uphill, I finally reach the turn for the last long straight stretch of the course and eventually pass the mile 25 marker: average pace: 7:43.  I’ve slowed but I’m hanging in there.  I will have a PR!  Keep running.  This is what I’ve trained for.  Dig deep.  Just run.  It’s almost over.

A couple of turns later I’m at the very last stretch with just .3 miles to go—and it’s downhill!  I open up my stride, push, and enjoy the moment through the pain.  3:21:25. Not too shabby.  A four+ minute PR.   Big grin

Ouch, ouch, ouch.  Ahhhhh!

After I cross the finish and stop, my quads seized up a bit and a mild wave of nausea strikes, but I keep walking, talking with TriBee just over the barricade.  A fruit cup and water help me to gradually recover.  That’s all I think I can stomach right now, though.  TriBee walks me a few blocks to the car and drives me home.  Sweet.

Excellent day.  I felt like I got everything I could out of it.  I was very pleased with feeling mentally well-prepared for the course.  I always knew where I was, how far to the next major turn, etc.  That helped a lot when the going started getting tough.I respected the distance and didn’t go out too fast.  I hung in there through the awful part.  I just ran.

P.S. If you’re interested, until Thursday, the registration fee for the 2012 Richmond Marathon is just $55.  A very good deal for a nice medium-sized race.  No, I don't get a kickback.

Just the facts:

10K: 47:45

1/2: 1:40:22

20: 2:33:03

Full: 3:21:25

(4-munite + PR!)

OA 292/3787

Men  262/??

AG 21/304

Be safe. Be kind.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

A pre-race race report .....!!!   You are going to do great Tramps!!

Wishing you a rainbow
      For sunlight after showers—
      Miles and miles of Irish smiles
      For golden happy hours—
      Shamrocks at your doorway
      For luck and laughter too,
      And a host of friends that never ends
      Each day your whole life through!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I guess I better see if I can wander up to Richmond on Sunday.  Tell TriBee to text me. (Do you still have my number?)

Oops!  Just figured out that the race is tomorrow.  Can't be there on a Saturday!

Run Well Trampsoldboy! 

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Mike E

MM #5615

Oh, man!  This is getting exciting!  Seriously--good luck, Tramps!

C-R

What a great idea to help with the usual pre-race tweaking. Outstanding!

Looking forward to reading Episode 2 - The New PR 

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I've been following the Great training cycle you've have for this one, and have been anxiously waiting for this race report ...

I LOVE that you tuned into CNY's "Just Run" mantra.  My best race ever was run with this also and I've become a big proponent (for my own races) of just running.  The time will work itself out.

You've been training right for many years and the results show that work.  You should be Very Proud of, not just the race, but the work you put forth to get it.  Congratulations!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

wildchild

Carolyn

I was starting to think I was in some kind of time warp - reading a RR a day before the race...   Confused

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

You're a lot faster than me, but I empathize with you.  My PR marathon was also in '09 and I've tried to beat it since then.  In fact, if the stars are aligned properly, I may do that soon.  This time, even if you feel terrible at mile 16, keep pushing unless you're injured.  If you slow down at mile 23, smile and think of me muttering, "Damn molasses mile."  I love your "no excuses about the weather" and I think you're gonna rock it!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps - you know we're all rooting for you.....good luck!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good Luck Tramps! Run the first 20 miles with your head and the last six miles with your heart----right to that sub 3:20. Time to just run and not over-think!

You've got this!

SteveP

A cliff hanger!!!!!

SteveP

I'm anxious to hear the next part.  Good luck.

TomS

coastwalker

I was starting to think I was in some kind of time warp - reading a RR a day before the race...   Confused

I checked the day and date on my computer twice to make sure I hadn't missed something - like a day!

Good luck, Tramps - you're in great shape, and you're going to nail this one!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

I don't know what time the race goes off but either your milling around the starting line area right now or you could be off an running.

I was thinking about you on my run this morning. Run strong Tramps...keep the focus.

GO TRAMPS!