Masters Running

Sunday 9/10/23 Daily (Read 36 times)

Tramps

Good morning.

Nice to see Posie, Stumpy, Shadow and others drop by yesterday. Busy Saturday.

moebo--nice 19-miler yesterday. I missed it; are you training for a Fall marathon?

Nice race, Dave.

deez--glad you made it through the storm okay.

Speaking of storms... brief but potent thunderstorm knocked out power for a couple of hours last night.Kudos to crews for getting it back on so quickly, while it was still raining, too.

Discombobulated morning for me. Forecast was a 15% chance of rain, increasing later, and radar was looking so-so. Not a biggie. We loaded up bikes drove the 3 miles to where we start and...it started pouring rain. Not just a drizzle; steady rain. Grrrr. Fortunately, despite rumors to the contrary, there's no rule against running in the rain, so we headed back home, Tribee hit her bike trainer and I went out for a mixed bag run/walk/pick-up-storm-debris for 7 miles.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Be safe. Be kind.

Thanks, Tramps.   Dave- really good race.  I would not have been on your heels!

BTY- good topic and interesting thoughts.  Years ago we took a class on forgiveness at our church in Dallas.  It was really powerful, and I wish I could remember more about it.

6.3 miles this morning.  It was warmer and I did a stint on the beach near the end. Ken went and got us donuts.   Last night we did a river cruise- adults only and BYOB.  It turned out really nice- beautiful sunset and cruised over to some of the Georgia islands to see some wild horses.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Thanks for the start, Tramps - sorry about the discombobulated morning, but you and Tribee made the best of it.

Nice 6.3-miler, including some beach time, KSA. The river cruise sounds terrific.

I'm glad the dew point dropped (a degree) before you headed out for your 20K, Twocat. The journal issue does indeed sound like a time-sink.

Nice, but miscommunicated 8-miler with your buddy, Joe. Sorry about the partly ping-pongy route.

Good salted candy-corn 19.1 miles, moebo. I'm glad the stretching and core work solved the weird ache puzzle.

Nice 3.4 miles with hills and views, Enke.

Good work on the ArcTrainer, Tomwhite.

Right you are, Mike.

Good morning 3-miler, Holly.

Good 3-mier for you too, Posie. I hope your long run goes well today.

I'm glad you are being 'entertained' by family, Stumpy, and that you and Maggie are enjoying your lake walks/runs in Maine.

I'm glad you got out for a walk to the camera store, Tet - impressive that they are still in business. Enjoy the September Grand sumo today while waiting for Xfinity to show up.

Good 5.5 miles with a bit on the struggle bus, Deeze. Good come-back. Sounds like the rest of the day was good, even if soupy.

Congrats on your AG win at the airport 5K, Dave! Were the basketball players taking slow long strides, or faster short strides?

I'm glad the rest is helping your PF, Surly Bill.

I must have missed the beginning of the light post discussion, BTY, but it sounds like you are doing admirable work there. Forgiveness is a simple concept that can be difficult to implement if we let it be so.

Our neighborhood get-together was a lot of fun yesterday. One of New England's largest seafood festivals was going on at Hampton Beach, about 8 miles away, but we had our own seafood fest right here: Roasted shrimp cocktail with horseradish sauce; smoked salmon on cuke slices; sauteed scallops on a schmear of avocado and garlic puree; and lobster rolls. We also had a classic Caprese salad, homemade slaw, and vanilla ice cream and raspberries for dessert. Our neighbors brought or helped with some of the dishes, so it was a great and tasty group effort.

Today, DW and I are meeting my sister and her SO in Worcester, MA (about 1.5 hours from here - half-way between each of our homes) for lunch. We haven't seen them since Spring, so it'll be a good ketchup time.

I got out at 4:30 this morning for 5.83 mostly RW miles in muggy 66° temps with a nice breeze from the NE. I followed up with 35 minutes of stretching, foam-rolling, and core work, and then spent about 20 minutes with my TENS unit on my hamstring while I read about Coco's win at the US Open.

Have a greta Sunday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Henrun

Thanks for starting Tramps.

Jay-nice recap. Your seafood feast sounds wonderful.  Last evening we went out for dinner with friends and I had a half pot of mussels with fries and a coffee porter.

My stretching last week left me with a sore back and a bit of sciatica in my left leg. Felt a mite better this morning. So went out for a short walk at sunrise with a hiking pole. 3 hours later went out for a longer walk to look at the booths for our Brookline Day event locally, still using the pole. Will go out again later before the return of rain. Going out to a Klezmer concert this evening.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Fortunately, despite rumors to the contrary, there's no rule against running in the rain, . . ..

Tramps - good luck on that one.

Jay- your weekend, if not everyday,  should be on the food channel.

Took advantage of what's going to be another final fling at summer up to the high seventies again with another morning reconnoitering of the new neighborhood but this time, with the charging cables at the nearby EV station all of a sudden missing and with other recharging ststions in parking garages I don't want to pay for parking in too, I found one eight blocks away by Seattle University I always liked since Elgin Baylor days and now with one of my hs classmates still its president and walked around more leisurely than when I was in-line skating through the campus in the latter years of the last century during the rollerblading boom years and ran by in a favorite annual 10K too until recently but never knew about the little Japanese tea garden with pumped mini-waterfall or the adjacent ethnobotanical garden featuring local indigenous peoples' various edibles. It might become a regular morning destination run after I find out tomorrow when I can get the knee replacement surgery I can hardly wait for any longer.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps, we had similar weather, no rain on the weather networks but we were out with the RR crew and less than a mile in, the rain came.

Karen, you are living the life! Good for you and Ken. Good 6.3 mile run this morning. Great way to kickstart the week.

Jay, good 5.83 mile RW this morning. You guys are living well out there with a seafood fest. That's what we need in my neck of the woods! Unfortunately in my immediate circle I'm the only seafood lover...

Went out this morning with the FOGGS for an interesting Sunday run. Ran into some rain 1 mile in then at the halfway mark of our run we accidently crashed the finish line for a 10/10 run put on by the people that do the Manitoba Marathon at the Legislative buildings. I and our cohort will be running the 10/10 event next year which is a 10k/10miler event which also includes a 5K sprint. We got back to the RR in the rain. Oh well, we logged 11 wet miles... Have a great Sunday all!

Dave59

The basketball players in my 5k yesterday were taking pretty big strides. Like lumbering giants.

Rest day for me today. Here is my exciting course from last night. The runway was 1.3 miles long.

https://scontent.fric1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/376716860_10230184864581116_6577179281013851888_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=49d041&_nc_ohc=Jm6BYbtiFdwAX8XuzIQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fric1-1.fna&oh=00_AfBxnJa_-ngo0-QiJr6i1PptkB-8We55wp24dd62qG67fg&oe=65036726

I could have completed a Paris Marathon challenge today. The challenge was to run a 5k distance between noon and 2 PM.  But I don't want to win an entry. The 15 mile run about killed me. A marathon would do it for sure.

I was really happy to get back to running 5ks. I haven't run one since Memorial Day. I've been doing longer runs on weekends trying to get in shape for the 15 mile run.

Not sure what I would do if I got an email that I won an entry to Paris.

Thanks, Sub, but my week starts tomorrow, but this was a good finish to the week for 41 miles.  Tomorrow is another day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

moebo

Tramps, sorry about the downpour, but sounds like you made the best of it!

To answer you question, I am kind of training for a fall marathon--telling myself I'll do the Bay State marathon in mid October if I can get through the next couple of weeks without hurting myself. Fingers crossed...

Jay, your seafood feast sounded wonderful!

Dave I saw that challenge, too. But now that I have my bib, no need to do anything out of my ordinary. And since I never run in the middle of the day, I passed on that 5k.

5.3 miles for me this (once again) humid morning.

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave - nice racing yeasterday!

Kevin  nice to see you posting.

Lots of yardwork and chores, etc today, so just 3 miles this morning in 66 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dnaff

We’ve been exploring Chattanooga for the past 3 days.  5 hikes; 4 on Lookout Mountain and one on Signal Mountain.  I’ve not had this much fun in a long time.  Each trail has been different terrain and each has been great.  My feet are tired of lugging around hiking boots and longing to run.

Tomorrow is travel day and I’m a weirdo in that I really enjoy Hartsfield Jackson.  Atlanta, not so much, but yes to their airport.  It has been a great send off to summer. We’ve been in the mid 80’s everyday but will return home to the beginnings of autumn.  My favorite running season.

Nice 5k Dave!!
                          Moebo - I was trying to convince my son to do Baystate Marathon instead of Portland since he is trying to BQ, but Portland works better for everyone’s schedule. I might try to switch off work that Sunday and spectate at Baystate - it’s run in the next city over from me!
                          BTY - forgiveness has been on my mind a lot lately!!
                          sub7 - interesting 11 miles

4 miles on the Eastern Trail for me today then football afternoon

Going to sleep early as I am driving straight to work from Maine in the morning which I have only done one other time this summer. I just didn’t feel like driving home tonight. Sleep well all!!

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Oh, boy... Tramps is living on the edge with that "no rule about ruining in the rain" remark...

Jay--I really wish I was your neighbor.

I ran a half marathon, this morning, came home and worked a little bit on work stuff while I watched the Vikings lose, then I vacuumed the house, than I mowed the lawn, then I updated the statistics from the last cross country meet, and now, I'm relaxing with a beer, for a bit, before I have to go to bed.

Maybe I'll go and write a little race report rather than bother everybody with it in here.

See ya over there...

Mariposai

MikeE, only you can race a half marathon,  then come home to do a pile of work.

Jay, I hope you had a lovely time with your family today. Where we live, very remote and rurak, driving  1, 5 hours for lunch is not a big deal.

Well, I was stressing out about my long run today. I was up at 3am, then 4. I contemplated just channeling Jay and go out for the run, but I did not. Next time I woke up was 7am.

l  did the planned 16 miles plus one more. My longest run in over 3 years.

See you all tomorrow.

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Nancy - that's awesome!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."