Masters Running

Monday, October 26, 2015: is it raining everywhere? (Read 32 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

5.00 what I thought would be drizzly cycling miles this morning but it let up before it really became rainy so I couldn:t snub my vow never to ride in the rain again after six-plus hours through an unusually extended rainy season in the 1987 Ironman Japan. Thinking about running back this afternoon but then I'd have to break another vow never to run in the rain unless it's a race. We'll see.
    Secret to MikeE: “the best organized marathon in North America”
    www.PortlandMarathon.com/about

. . ps: did you ever find amy?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

...TET//...........nice job cycling,

but I gots'ta know>>>>>>>>did you hurt something running??

===========

drizzle and 50's here

met an Old Hiking Buddy at the city park

,,,,we're gonna hit ''Savage Gulf'' (yeah, THAT sounds safe)

and

''Big South Fork State Park'' this spring to start hiking again

....60-min walk mostly WITHOUT CANE>>>YOWZA

elliptical and poolrunning tomorrow

.................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

....60-min walk mostly WITHOUT CANE>>>YOWZA

elliptical and poolrunning tomorrow

.................good running guys

YOWSA, indeed.  Great big 'Atta Boy to you.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Rode my non-electric bike to work; that's exercise enough...

Yesterday I did a little 5K trail race on monstrous hills in a steady rain.  It was Herr Wegetarian's first-ever race and he won his AG!  (out of 1).   I know how to pick the races to make a first-timer feel good!  He won a pair of socks.  I walked a lot of the (soul-crushing) uphills, but flew down the downhills and passed a bunch of people who were carefully making their way down. :]

I'm delighted to see the chatter about the Portland marathon next fall.  Yay!  Come on over.

Yay for Herr Wegetarian!

Yay for almost no cane usage TW!!

Just wanted to correct mariposai - BE does not run.  We did a 5 mile walk (then he promptly fell asleep on my couch).  He had knee surgery quite a while ago and hasn't run since, but used to run all the time.  I think he should give it a little try - if the knee acts up, he can quit.  He is so into his cycling though,  I am not sure I could get him to run.  But the good thing is - he goes out on 3-6 hour bike rides (when not recovering from surgery) almost every weekend, so if I go for a 3 hour run, we are both happy.  He is buying another bike soon that will be able to go on dirt roads, and tuning up my mountain bike for me, so we plan to try a ride together Thanksgiving weekend once he is all healed up.  Hopefully I won't turn into a cyclist and forget about my love of running!

Thanks Erika - it's good to see me so happy too!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

No!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Yesterday I did a little 5K trail race on monstrous hills in a steady rain.  It was Herr Wegetarian's first-ever race and he won his AG!  (out of 1).   I know how to pick the races to make a first-timer feel good!  He won a pair of socks.  

Love this!

Enke - if you turn into a cyclist, you still have to post here.  Just sayin' .....

P90X Shoulders and Arms plus Ab Ripper X for me this morning.  I am building muscles, but also gaining weight with my eating out-pacing my cardio.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Rode my non-electric bike to work; that's exercise enough...

Yesterday I did a little 5K trail race on monstrous hills in a steady rain.  It was Herr Wegetarian's first-ever race and he won his AG!  (out of 1).   I know how to pick the races to make a first-timer feel good!  He won a pair of socks. 

...Happy for you Econo//............the ''Won a Pair of Socks'' line was a nice touch........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

moebo

Twocat, you are very sweet to be the race photographer for your DW and her friends. What happened that you had to take 2 years off from running? And how did you get back into it?

I actually hardly ever race. I like the social aspect, but I hate the stress. Although if I thought I might win socks I would race more often!

4 miles for me today.

I think I may follow tomwhite's lead and elliptical tomorrow.

evanflein

I love winning things, especially socks! I won a pair of smart wool socks several years ago and they're completely worn out. Need to get some new ones!

Ran 6 miles this afternoon, and stopped on the way back to sign up for the rec center again. My membership lapsed last spring and I've been too lazy (and hey, busy too!) to get it started again. So, now we should be good to go and can add more strength training and indoor options for when winter settles in.

Enke, if he starts out slowly he might be able to get back to some running. Maybe not the 3 hour kind but something. Although after several knee surgeries, my DH can't run anymore. He runs vicariously thru me, I think.

Holly, how's Dexter doing? I was thinking about him the other day. How's your mouth coming along? I may be headed that way with that broken crown I was telling you about. Too much cracking into the root to save it. Dammit.

tomwhite great news!

enkephalin I hear biking is really, really unpleasant.  You really do not want to get started on it. 

moebo long story.  Has to do with my hamstrings and finally a physical therapist who figured out how to get me healed up enough to run again.  As to racing, why deprive yourself of the social aspect? None of us are really competitive in any true sense. Just enjoy hanging with your pals, old and new. Indeed, join the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club for next year's Reach the Beach Relay! We never win anything but a great time!

evanflein funny about the rec center.  Seeing as how you work on campus how long did signing up take? 

I managed a 7 mile run today.  Bloody cold out! What happened to October!?  I should be running in 50 degree not 40 degree weather!   In happier cooking news I have discovered home smoking salmon!  Man is that stuff good! Plus it is easy to make! Go to the store and spend $40/pound.  Hah! I can make it better for a quarter of the cost! Here is all you do.  Prepare a brine of 1 quart of water, 1/4 salt, 1 cup of white sugar and 1 cup of dark brown sugar.  Mix until everything is dissolved. Then add a few herbs you like.  I added tarragon and thyme.  But that is just me.  Dump into a ziplock bag along with a pound or two of salmon.  Place in the refrigerator overnight or longer.  A few hours before you want it done, pull the salmon out of the brine.  Rinse and pat dry with paper towels. Place on a rack to dry in the refrigerator for an hour and then out in your kitchen for a second hour. Now smoke at 200 to 225 until the interior temperature is 140. Figure 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on your salmon's thickness, your smoker's heat level, etc.  Now eat!!!!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Econo, how great about the age win for the handsome dude. Yes!!! Portland 2016. I can't believe it has been almost 10 years when I first posted in Coolrunning about running my first marathon and you responded first.

Enkie, runner or not...Mr. BE is a winner and Paul and I can not wait to meet him.

Tetsujin started the thread, amazing. Just wondering if Spareribs and Tetsujin will meet up this week in Seattle.

Speaking about DH supporting our running addiction...why is it that DW's tend to support more the addiction? Anyway, the day my DH brought up the fact that I was wasting 3 hours of Saturday to run I told him....it is a good investment of time or I will end up dying at age 59 like my mother or have a quadruple bypass surgery at age 50 like his mother...the topic was never brought up again and from that day forward he has bee my best cheerleader ever.

Today was a long day for me, drove for 4 hours for a 2 hour meeting then back home. It was a worthwhile meeting, I must admit. Before traveling I did have 4 smile miles. I hope to repeat the same tomorrow.

Spareribs, are you having fun in Seattle?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Not to mention that you've managed to get him hooked, too. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.