Masters Running

It is Friday!!! we survived the week!!!!!! (Read 404 times)

I'm jealous of those of you with altitude available. I think mine changes 5' and that's only if I go up on the boardwalk! The view from the top of the boardwalk just doesn't compare Mariposai! Smile !
    But you have the ocean! See, that makes me jealous (the grass is always greener, or, the ocean's always bluer?) Also loved the vignette about stopping to take the photo. Thanks for starting off the day with that; I'm going to try especially harder today to be a better, kinder person. A.
    Masters 2000 miles
      "Can I join Holly and go there with her?
      I smell a Party!!!! Of course Aamos! Someday you better make it down here to run a Marathon. Not that I could keep up but it would be fun meeting and trying anyway! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mariposai: Are you sure that someone didn't just Photoshop you into a landscape painting? Bill: Don't forget that we senior retirees are always looking for a place to go to next. Party time in FLA! Had the best run today that I've had since last New Year's Eve when this whole hamstring-hip thing started. Did 6.2 miles with negative splits all the way on a cool but very humid morning. In fact, I think I did a "10K in less than my age". My time was 61 minutes, 3 seconds. I'm still 61, but actually 61 and 11/12ths, so I'll count it as "less than my age". Big grin I hope everyone else has some good runs today, leading into a beautiful weekend (at least that's the forecast in these parts).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

lamerunner

Happy Friday! Got my long run done this morning, 20.5 or so starting at 5:00 a.m. with a friend. Pretty hilly route but nice weather, much stronger run than last week; we probably averaged 8:30-ish and I felt fine. It is hard to get up at 4:30 though... I may be asleep at my desk by noon, but for now I feel pretty virtuous.
          DickyG

There was a piece on ESPN yesterday on the Tampa baseball team who, despite being in first place, has one of the lowest attendance figures in baseball...I checked it out...last night they had a home game and only 14,039 fans were at the game....and I know why. The games start at 7:00 and by 7, everyone in Tampa is already asleep..they eat the early-bird specials at 4 in the afternoon, drive home (with their left blinker on), watch the 6 o'clock news, and go to bed. I think attendance would go up dramatically if they started the games at noon and gave all attendees a Golden Corral coupon. Henrun: First of all, knock 'em dead Monday..some other RA's are running, right? Loved your day together, especially watching the swing dancing..some of those dancers are fabulous. Sorry I missed the NBC seg on aging runners..that hits (a little too) close to home. Ribs:
            It's good to know that we have too much good frens. You can never get too much though.
            Well said..I think I forget this more often than I should. Enke: Very, very smart to bag your run...better to be safe... Maine:
            Actual - 10.11 miles - 1:20:30 (7:57) Avg HR 134 Max HR 150. 8:53 - 8:35 - 8:34 - 7:32 - 7:31 - 7:31 - 7:31 - 7:30 - 7:31 - 8:22 - :55 - A great run in 80 degree temps with 33% humidity, now that's what I'm talking about!
            Absolutely! Incredibly consistant...and fast...splits...next planned race? ...and
            We have our annual family gathering at the house this Saturday so a nice cookout is in store! Oh and you'll be happy to know there is the annual golf tournament first thing in the morning.
            (doing my best Don Rickles impersonation)...now you're gettin' on my nerves, pal. Carolyn: Right...the Penn Quakers...that's OK...ours is a Wahoo...don't bother to look it up...it's a fish that can drink twice its own weight. Erika: My only comment on shoes is that I always try to buy the lightest shoe on the market...I figure I have enough fat to carry around...why add the extra weight. Larry: 5 miles in 36? Jeez...when did you start running that fast? This morning ran 4.2 miles in 38:22 (9:09)..I don't know why, but I couldn't seem to catch my breath...had to take 8-9 walk breaks of about 10-15 seconds each...was really discouraged until I checked my log and discovered that my time was 25 seconds faster than the same course last week...go figure. DickyG
            dg.

Had the best run today that I've had since last New Year's Eve when this whole hamstring-hip thing started. Did 6.2 miles with negative splits all the way on a cool but very humid morning. In fact, I think I did a "10K in less than my age". My time was 61 minutes, 3 seconds. I'm still 61, but actually 61 and 11/12ths, so I'll count it as "less than my age". Big grin
              Big grin
              Mariposai

Mariposai: Are you sure that someone didn't just Photoshop you into a landscape painting?
                Wink The bruises on my legs and arms are a true testimony that the adventure really happened. 2 very stiff and slow miles this morning. This is the day we take the family, including our newly arrived exchange student camping. We were going to go backpacking but opted against it to go easier on the poor boy Yes. We will camp by Washington pass and start our hikes from there. See you all on Tuesday next week. Please have fun and enjoy the gift. Can I join the party down south?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Sorry DickyG I didn't mean to rub it in or anything... Big grin Friday - 6.03 Miles - 53:38 (8:53) - Avg HR 117 Max HR 127 - 70 degrees and 72% humidity. I hate that humidity but knew it would creep back up there all too soon. Sad Gotta get to work on the finishing touches for our gathering tomorrow. Good runs all.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Give me men to match my mountains you did it on butterfly wings. gracias for sharing their good tidings. . . . . and bring back lots more from this weekend too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Wow Mary, you are determined....getting your miles in. You and Tim both are working hard at this marathon thing and I recall the same feeling...why are my legs dead all the time and my runs getting slower? Just wait till taper time and they will feel weightless again (and faster!). Went to the gym last night to see what I could do....did 3 miles on the TM, really wanted to do more but it seemed pointless. Then 10 min on the bike and that was enough of that - was sweating way too much for a HR of 120. Feeling better today so hopefully by tomorrow I can have a decent feeling run. Mariposai - wow...10 hours of hiking up and down...I wonder what the calorie burn on that day was? I agree with the photoshop comment.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

DickyG, just tell Mainerunnah to foxtrot oscar. Aamos, let us know how your husband makes out. Nono, good for you. Lame, your run was anything but. Well done. So McCain has picked a woman from Alaska to be his VP candidate. I wonder if it's Erika! 3 miles walking for me today, 54 minutes or 18 a mile, strolling I would call it. It's been four weeks and one day since the surgery, time for a recap of progress. I have no pain, never had any, just some discomfort at times, but now I am totally off the prescription painkillers, so that is a big milestone for me. Also, last week I walked 23 miles. This week should be 25-26 miles, another milestone. Next week I will start incorporating faster walks, and some light core work that won't put pressure on my chest cavity or shoulders, just for toning and staying in good shape. Overall, I am pleased with my progress. Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #3309

Wow Mary, you are determined....getting your miles in. You and Tim both are working hard at this marathon thing and I recall the same feeling...why are my legs dead all the time and my runs getting slower? Just wait till taper time and they will feel weightless again (and faster!).
                          Thanks for the comment on running on dead legs....then feeling weightless again. That actually helps me mentally more than you know...I'm sure Mary would agree Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Ribs, your progress is absolutely amazing That's a lot of walking, and next week some runs, WOW Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wow - 2 full pages and it's not even noon on the east coast yet!! ((nonoruns)) let those tears flow whenever you like and keep those memories close -- i'm sure you made that family's day taking a pic of all 3 of them!! Aamos - i have to work as well -- in fact, i haven't gone to bed yet from working all night -- a favorite uncle is basically on life support at a local hospital so i went to spend some time with him before i came home - wish his family would see that this once vibrant, wonderful man shouldn't be ending his days on a ventilator. left there kind of keyed up so did some errands for the boys going back to school before i came home..........now i'm crashing and heading up to bed for a little nap......tonight is my one night off then back for 3 more nights in a row so it's a working weekend mostly for me Happy Friday!!

denise

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Glad to hear you're progressing so well, Spareribs! I am very happy - my running partner and I ran 9.4 miles this morning. We DID walk a couple of times, but it felt good! Whoops, DS needs the computer - have a great weekend! Teresa