Masters Running

Monday Monday - Can't Trust That Day Runs (Read 637 times)

Jlynne

Rise and shine people! Swing those legs over the side of the bed and get the day started. 5 miles this morning, 9:36 pace (slow for most of you but I'm pleased as punch) in beautiful 38° temps and starry skies. It was one of those mornings you wish you could package and save for the middle of January.  The only thing that could make this day even better is a Packer win tonight Big grin

Lots of great posts and races over the weekend. Tramps, one more WTG on a great marathon. Jay - nice job. Dave - you sound positive about your half. Come to Green Bay next spring and maybe I can keep up with you for a few miles.

Our high school football team got their butts kicked on Saturday - 54 to nothing. I'm sure the coach and AD (my boss) are going to be a little crabby today.

Hope your week is off to a good start!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Hiya Jlynne!

I liked drinking beer with your husband at the Twin Cities Marathon pre-race lunch! (referencing a post of yours somewhere around here)

0528. 57F. 8 miles. Felt sluggish. But that's okay. The run is done.
      About the same pace as Jlynne!

Beauty of a day here in SEVA. 

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

coastwalker

Lots of great hill/mountain runs yesterday; a 50K PR (congrats, Runnerclay!); runs with family & friends; food talk (waffle crosstraining?); shirt talk; weather talk (sorry about all the rain MustangSally); and healing hammies (good for you Tom - and yes, I'll pay the fine). It was great to see Kevin (who was looking pretty good) after the half yesterday, as well as to catch up with other friends when I could. After the race, I got back to the real world by doing some crosstraining with the rake and leafblower.

6.5 miles at 4:15 this morning: 53 degrees (got the shorts back out!) with light clouds filtering the moonlight. I'm still working on solving this knee hyper-extension issue that may be holding me back to an extent. But I did manage better knee kick and more fluid turnover, and kept my pace in the 11's for each mile after #1 (which included my easy half-mile warmup). Satisfying workout.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Runnerclay—sweet 50K PR!  Is there a RR somewhere?

Jay—you were holding out on us.  Clam chowder!  Yum.  (Hope that knee improves.)

Nice hilly runs yesterday, including those by FlyingFinn (sorry, you’ll always be FF to me!), Carolyn, and Perch.  MS, though, did just one hill.Wink

Ribs—that Ryan Hall ad was funny.  Puts things in perspective.

Opie—I know the cure for taper madness.  Write up your RR!

Stumpy—great effort on limited training.  That’s tough to do.

JLynne—54 – 0.  Ouch.  Don't let 'em take it out on you.

Just a 2.3 mile recovery run (9:03) for me.  I felt like I could have done more but when Pfitz and Ribs agree on anything, I listen.  Quads are still tight and sore but everything else feels fine.  Usually all my joints are tender for a couple days after a race but not this time. 

Be safe. Be kind.

Renee the dog

Yep Coastwalker, at our coast it's already 61F!  Shorts and a singlet for me this morning as I got in 3 with Renee.  Just got the house network back online after a weekend of prepping and such for this week's wallpapering adventure.(Lots of equipment and conduit to move).  So, I need to read what happened all weekend.  Sounds like a lot of exciting stuff! Cool  My hip continues to improve, while the tendonitis in my foot is cooperating, so today I think I'll throw in my first double since the Atlantic City 10K. 

Have a great day everyone!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Henrun

Yes, it's an extended Indian Summer here-IRC and ICC (cycling). Congrats to all the racers and congrats to Jay for another great race in Portsmouth.

We've been taking advantage of the ideal conditions-did our long runs on Saturday (13 for Marj and 10 for me) and other short runs-a speedy 2 miler for me and a hilly 6 for Marj today. No races scheduled until turkey day when we're heading down to Brooklyn for a family holiday weekend and a 5 miler Thanksgiving morning in Prospect Park. We'll be joined by a SIL who lives in Philly. Hope the weather holds

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Hi Henry and Marj!

It was nice to see you in Portland ME in October.
                How'd you do?  Did you run or live to run another day?

It was very rainy.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning...

Happy happy to see you back to running again Jlynne. And BTW MISSY....there are no slow runs - slow paces Smile

Yes Buehrie.....always great to get a run in - some good, some not - but all are great !

Jay, race walking / racing is very intriguing to me, and I'm always surprised how fast some people can to that. Hope your knee gets to feeling better !

Dang.....awesomely awesome marathon for our Mr. Tramps....quite the feats for your family recently !

Big shout outs to Dove and Francesca on there 100K's !

Boy.........my sciatica nerve problem came back with vengeance late Saturday and yesterday...almost paralyzing sometimes. The pain had nearly subsided, or at least I didn't think too much about it, so I don't really know what triggered it this time. Other than the first strides, it doesn't really bother me while running, but later on it can. Yesterday I was almost in tears with the jabbing / searing pain that starts on the right side on my butt, and radiates clear down to the outside of my right calve....feels like a sharp knife is sticking me in my butt most of the time. I thought maybe I could just forget about the surgery thing, but maybe I will have to re-think that after my races and get my wonky vertebrae fixed.

Steve, either Sat or Sunday you mentioned (paraphrased) that your training is basically in the bank. I guess you are a 3 week taperer ? I took my weekend runs easy and fairly short still recovering from my marathon last Sat, and I plan on this coming week to be high mileage, with lots of speed and hills....well, lots of hills in particular. Then a 2 week taper.........I need hills and more hills. I guess through reading on my own and here at RA, that a person doesn't get the real benefits of a hard workout for 10 days. So what I do this week through Sat and Sunday, should benefit me 2 weeks after that with a good taper. Sounds good in theory anyways, when I want to just run more than I had been...

Look forward to seeing You and Norm there...hope the weather holds out Smile 

Gotta scoot for now

TiMbO

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

C-R

Weather holding out in Indiana? Like today's massive dumper with high winds. My first thought was mud, mud, mud for Tecumseh. Yikes. Looking forward to meeting up. Now I get to tweak for Monkey this weekend. 26.2 with 3500+ foot of elevation change. At least there is beer at the end.

Nice PR Ron. Great to see a fellow LHR guy hitting home runs.

After working a concession stand (volunteer for DS travel soccer team) for 10 hours at Lucas Oil yesterday, I was glad I remembered to wear some decent shoes. Concrete does not do a body good. Was able to get a short run in last night. Oh well.

Well back to the salt mine and trying to figure out how to get a nice run today.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Slo

Steve, either Sat or Sunday you mentioned (paraphrased) that your training is basically in the bank. I guess you are a 3 week taperer ?

I wouldn't call it a 3 week taper. Generally I like to get my last long run of 20 or more miles in 3 weeks out. Under normal circumstances I would cut back the milage slightly this week and focus on race specific training...e.g. Marathon Pace running. I'll do 12 - 14 miles this weekend with a day or two of hills this week.

I really don't have any taper plans since I really didn't go thru a training cycle for this one.

nono, at first I thought you ran with Econo this morning, then saw that this Renee is your dog. Smile

Our good running weather held out this morning, cloudy but mild for the time of year at almost 50F, and no wind. I started out running with one of the regulars, but he was doing 16 and I was only planning on 6, so it was an early turnaround for me. And my pace was also just about at Jlynne and RCG level.

Hope you all have good starts to your work weeks!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mariposai

Good morning folks. It is amazing to see so many good runs on this lovely Monday. 

henrun, it is always so much fun to read about your trips.Have a fun visit with your family.

nono, look at you running in shorts and singlets. Do you often do doubles during your training.

Runnerclay, congrats on your 50k PR. Where is the RR?

RCG, 8 miles on a Monday morning? wow, WTG girl. When is your DD's marathon?

Tamster, how are you doing with the poison ivy effect?

No running for me this morning. We had a relaxing early morning coffee (tea for me) time with Divechief before he drove back home to Seattle. What an enjoyable weekend we had with him. Paul drove us to the woods yesterday and the three of us ran 3 miles around a lovely lake. 

So, today will be gym night for me and back into the 40 mile week. It was great to have a 32 mile, cut back week, last week.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Good Monday all.

10 miles on Saturday at a comfortable and cautious 8:57 pace.  The right hamstring was achy so I didn't push anything.  The rest of Saturday was taken up with bathroom wall sanding and cleanup - prep for painting.  Ack.  I looked like a snowman when I emerged from the bathroom.  I don't think I've ever seen so much "flour" in the air - well maybe when I was two years old and my Mother tells me I discovered the flour container in the pantry.  That is one nasty, dirty job, but had to be done.  Saturday night DW and I went to a German restaurant with some friends and overdid it on German Food and Beer.  Everything was to die for.  We're going to go back there again sometime.

This morning the plan was to run 7 miles easy and just gauge the hamstring.  9:23 pace and easy does it.  No leg problems.  Hoping for 40 miles this week.  I'm not ready for it, but racing looms on the horizon.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

Quick post here as I gotta big day.  3.5 recovery run and a full flex workout, now packing for Atlanta.  See you on Wednesday.  Spareribs

Renee the dog

nono, look at you running in shorts and singlets. Do you often do doubles during your training..

I tend to do so.  First, my schedule doesn't always allow me many mid-week runs of  8 - 10 miles.  But I can always squeeze two shorter ones in day and night.  Going out for 3 or 4 in the evening is just so relaxing for me. (Esp. in a couple weeks when all the Christmas lights are out. Smile  )

Also, coming back from an irritation, I find it's better for me to attempt a double and give myself a full rest day, than to be out there again tomorrow.  It feels like I'm resting all the time, 'cause I'm generally only running every other day.  But, at the end of the week, the mileage is there, in the bank.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!