Masters Running

Omaha Marathon - A Special Day (Read 252 times)

TomD

Three years ago a group of us Boomers from CR met at the Omaha Marathon for the first time. Some are at this website now. They include Spareribs, Aamos, and Rosecoloredglasses. They are relate to know what it was like at this marathon. It is not a flat or easy course to complete. To me Omaha would fit in nicely with Arkansas. Neither have any idea what flat is like. Back in January, 2002, my wife, Sheri, had a stroke. It left her both physically and mentally impaired. She was to spend the rest of her life in a nursing home or assisted living, mostly the latter thank goodness. She was in a wheelchair with a mind of a teenager at best thanks to medication. She was more like a 5 year just after the stroke. We divorced in February, 2003, as my insurance was running out. It was the only way the Federal Government or State of Nebraska would help her at all. Sheri passed away from a heart attack on August 26th, 2008. Since her first and last marathon with me was the Omaha Marathon, she was also from Omaha, I ran this year's Omaha Marathon for her. Sheri used to help other runners at the marathons I ran by giving them water, sports drink, and GU, which we had plenty of in our car. She became known as the GU Angel. This was a handle she liked to be referred to, so many 50-staters and other runners we saw over and over again called her that. They did it so much, that some forgot her name. My goal was to run my very best race for Sheri. Normally a 4:30 would be good for me on a course like this one with hot temps and no wind, which is common this time of year. So I was going to better my best of the year, 4:22, and maybe even break 4:15 on this challenging course, while running the entire course. The course has changed some, since 2005, but all those challenging hills we enjoyed in the first half are still there. They are just at different mile marks in the first half. That short, but very steep hill in Mile 21 is now a downhill in Mile 21. We run a 6 mile loop in the downhill area before the first challenging at Mile 8, where it was in Mile 3 or 4 in 2005. The rest is much the same. The start was 59 degrees and the finish was 78 with zero wind and a very sunny sky. My first mile was 8:47 not bad. Mile 2, 8:42, pretty close where I want to be. Mile 3, 8:30, now I need to slow down a little. Instead I decide to go at this pace, since I am having so much fun. I will just deal with the heat, being sore, and tired later and hope for the best. I run with a friend for a couple of miles. Mile 5, 42:15, I am very surprised. I wish my friend, Tom, good luck and slow down some. Mile 7, 59:13, this 8:28 pace is a bit fast. I decide to just run at a 9:00 pace along as I can. I am hoping to last at least to Mile 15 before cutting back for 5+ miles and then get into my Zone for a strong finish. Mile 8, I run right at 9 minutes even with the first challenging hill. There are probably more than 3 challenging hills here, but there are 3 that stand out. Mile 9, it is flat some and hilly some, which a lot of the first half is like. Oh yeah, I got another 9 minute mile. Mile 10, is another 9 minute mile and my time is 1:26. This one had the most difficult hill in it. I doing well, but there is a long ways to go. I did pass a few runners that were walking this hill. Mile 11, the fastest mile of the first half, but it still has a hill or two of course. It was another 9 minute mile. Mile 12, this one is my challenging hill of the course. In 2002, when this marathon was run in August and it was in Mile 23 then, I ran this one as I picked up my pace with a torn cartilage. I finished that one with a 4:29. So this hill each year I pick up my pace as I run it. It is also located in a part of Omaha that was my old neighbor as a boy. There is a lot of meaning for me in this hill. This is another 9 minute mile. Mile 13, has a few hills and flat as the next three miles will have. Another 9 minute mile. The half is 1:53:51. In the pass my goal was always to run 1:55 or better at the half and 3:00 at Mile 20 on my way to a sub 4:00 marathon. Today it may very well be way to fast, but I feel great. Mile 14, doing pretty good with another 9 minute mile. Mile 15, after this one it is pretty flat the rest of the way with a short steep downhill in Mile 21. It is not to steep, it is runable. This is my 8th 9 minute mile in a row with 2:10:28 overall. Mile 16, still feel good. How much longer can I go at this pace. Mile 17, is nice, all I have been doing is challenging myself to run near 9 minutes each mile. So far I just had my 10th victory in a row. It is very rewarding and I feel just fine. I can hardly believe it. I feel almost fresh. Mile 18, another 9 minute mile. I decide to track my miles and see how close I have been to 9 minutes. I realize that I will be slowing down soon and it may be this mile. Mile 19, 8:54, I was really surprised. There is a turnaround shortly after mile 19 and I see Barefoot Rick behind me. I yell out to him, "What are you doing behind me, you belong up there somewhere." He yells back, "I will catch up." I know he will too, but I do not mind. Mile 20, 8:57, I seemed to be slowing a little, but not bad. Now the downhill and then some more flat. Mile 21, 8:15, one of my fastest miles of the day. It felt so good running down the hill it was difficult to slow down. Mile 22, 9:42, this was very difficult for me. Both of my feet start to hurt and I am concerned some. I slow down. I also feel totally exhausted. Towards the end of the mile the pain goes away as fast as it came. Barefoot Rick finally catches me here. We run together the next mile. I love talking to runners like Rick they are so positive. Mile 23, 9:01, this is uplifting. All I need to do now is just to keep running and the impossible will become reality, a sub 4:00 at 60. My first in two years. I am very very tired. Walking some seems so inviting, but I am going to run this one. I have no pain, but boy am I tired. There has not been any shade the last two miles nor is there much the rest of the way. Mile 24, 9:17, still running well. As I pass a runner he says "You got a sub 4:00." I yell back, "It is in my back pocket. All I need to do is keep running." Mile 25, 9:24, how could I be more tired. No pain just so very very exhausted. I can see I will be in around 3:52, if I just can keep running. It is now feels almost impossible to run, and walking is so inviting. I have a sub 4:00 for Sheri all I need now to do is run 1.2 miles, no big deal. Right now it is. Mile 26, 9:47, my slowest mile of the marathon, but I am still running. I pick it up about 300 yards from mile 26. Then at the final turn I am told that I have only 100 meters to go. Shortly after the turn I pass my last runner. I feel like I am flying and to my surprise there is Donna yelling to me at the finish. My 3:52:30 finish is 29:58 faster than my fastest marathon of the year. It also my first sub 4:00 in nearly two years and my fastest time since Lincoln in 2006. A full 45 marathons ago. I can honestly say that I never dreamed that I could ever run a sub 4:00 on this course again. To say I was elated is putting it mildly. I felt great I could not sit down, all I wanted was some water and to be with Donna and my friends. This may be my best run marathon. Far from my best time ever, but I ran it well without any lasting pain. I was so focused that I did not realize how hot it was. My singlet and running shorts were both totally soaked as well as other runners. They complained about the heat, but I did not know it was bothering me. I was to busy trying to keep my 9 minute pace going. Afterwards I total Donna, "I feel like, I just run a half marathon." I felt great. I was not stiff. I was tired right after the marathon, but it seemed to go away quickly after some water and sucking down some sliced oranges and couple of bagels. A friend of mine, Dan, that I used to run with in the 90's ran his 100th marathon here. He ran a 3:49 and he is legally blind. We are the same age. We got 2nd and 3rd in the Senior Master Division. At the awards Dan was a little slower getting up there so I grabbed him as we neared our awards and gave him a hug as we got our awards. Congratulated him again on his 100th and 2nd place. I believe, that I was 134th out of something like 400 runners. This was one of my greatest days in my running career. My friend John Dietrich, thought it was all those 100 degree days (mostly 90 degree days) when I was putting in 80 mile weeks. The 78 degrees at Omaha was nothing. Why would you notice it? I believe he is partly right, but I think it was being so very focused and my wanting to do so well on this day for Sheri's memory. I do not think God could of made a nicer or more positive person. On the way home Donna had me buy my first lottery tickets. I have them in my wallet now, because she does not want to even touch them. She thinks yesterday was my lucky day. Oh yeah, after coming home I found out I won the football pool at work too. Next is Spirit of Survival in Tulsa, Oklahoma. It starts at the Medicine Park Battlefield and run through the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. It is next Sunday, October 5th. TomD
      Incredible.....so happy for you!
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        Wow, that was very emotional for me to read. But what an amazing amazing marathon you had!!! I hope you savour every part of it over and over. Thanks for your story. And congrats on 2nd!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Wonderful, Tom, what an inspiring story!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Tom, thanks for taking us along on this journey. I was hooked. Excellent racing and so meaningful to run it in Sheri's memory.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

That is so incredible and so inspirational Tom! Thank you for sharing with us and congratulations on such a great accomplishment!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tom, awesome race and time, and loved your RR... nicely done Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Henrun

Tom, congratulations. A touching story and I can see why the marathon was so special for you.
                  Barefoot Rick

Barefoot Runner

Great report Tom, and congrats on a great race with a great cause in mind. Memorializing someone we love in our races is quite a homage. It was great seeing you and Donna again. Happy running, my friend!
                    Romans 10:15 - How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news of good things!
                      http://barefootrunner.org
                      Very moving, Tom, and congrats. It is a tough course, but one we chold all do again soon! grins and a salute to you, best to Donna. grins, A
                      Masters 2000 miles
                      Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

I couln't not comment. Very touching story indeed. So glad it was such a special day. Congratulations! Francesca
                          What a wonderful, wonderful way to remember someone. Sounds like you were blessed that day. Great race report, and great running!

Hill Runner

Tom, Congratulations...and the fact that you were so inspired to make this a great run is testimony to the fact that running is not purely physical but it also has a very important mental component...

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                            Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                            Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

so happy for you!! you ran an awe-inspiring race from your heart - kudoos!!

denise

nowor

Tom, Terrific race and a wonderful lesson to all of us re: focus. What a great tribute to Sherri. Thanks for sharing your experiences w/ us.