Masters Running

Tuesday, JULY 22 Runs and such (Read 500 times)

Grinning Aamos, 72% humidity sticky? As if ... Evil grin Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

Ribs, thanks for the PDR report. I was wondering about her, & WRFB this morning.
      This is one of the new money-making schemes I came up with, where I act as surrogate poster for a fee. The Beers are taking advantage of a free one-day trial of the service, after which they can post their own runs or have me continue for a modest contribution to the cause. (Cause of me). The benefits of the service are too numerous to list here but basically it works like this. You email me your workout soon as you come home, instead of posting it on RA. I "translate" it for the forum to make it more meaningful and enjoyable for others to read. For example, if you do a track workout, I embellish the fluidity and control you had on the turns of the track and your acceleration on the straighaways, while downplaying how hot you thought it was, and all your puking and whining about the heat. For a long run, I focus on your form, total mileage and consistency of effort. I also remove comments about your dog, how you stunk up the bathroom that day and how you really feel about your kids or your spouse. My professional expertise in posting your run enhances your overall aura as a runner and makes you a far more interesting person. Breger and Perch, recognizing this, have already signed up for their trial period. I have convinced them that today when they post, absolutely no one is interested. But if readers see that their daily runs are covered in my post, people will be riveted on their performance and want to read every word. "Spareribs, tell me more about breger's run today," people will write. Bill and Steve are both quite excited at the potential. I am sure that many of you will want to get into this idea "on the ground floor" as they say, but space is rapidly filling up, so I would apply early for this service if I were you. Spareribs
        Spareribs, How much is the fee? Can it be age graded? Wink You could make even more $$ by offering pre-written race reports and training log interpretations with appropriate workout color coordination. We have to get you out running again since you have too much time on your hands. This made me laugh out loud. Big grin CNYrunner
          Ummmm Spareribs, I'll have my people contact your people. We should do lunch sometime! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hmm, interesting offer, spareribs. I don't think I want to know how you would embellish my nekkid runs, though! Blush BUT if you could make me sound coordinated, I would pay you any price you asked!
            wildchild

Carolyn

Let's see... for the Beer's free trial day of this service, they got this from Mr. Ribs: "WRFB has not posted today, but since I can't post any runs, let me say that he did 5 miles at 8:43 pace. Ah, that felt good! And also, PDR did 8 today although on tired legs." I, for one, am not impressed by this service. Tongue Don't quit your day job, Ribs! Wink

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

dg.

This is one of the new money-making schemes I came up with, where I act as surrogate poster for a fee. The Beers are taking advantage of a free one-day trial of the service, after which they can post their own runs or have me continue for a modest contribution to the cause. (Cause of me). The benefits of the service are too numerous to list here but basically it works like this. You email me your workout soon as you come home, instead of posting it on RA. I "translate" it for the forum to make it more meaningful and enjoyable for others to read. For example, if you do a track workout, I embellish the fluidity and control you had on the turns of the track and your acceleration on the straighaways, while downplaying how hot you thought it was, and all your puking and whining about the heat. For a long run, I focus on your form, total mileage and consistency of effort. I also remove comments about your dog, how you stunk up the bathroom that day and how you really feel about your kids or your spouse. My professional expertise in posting your run enhances your overall aura as a runner and makes you a far more interesting person. Breger and Perch, recognizing this, have already signed up for their trial period. I have convinced them that today when they post, absolutely no one is interested. But if readers see that their daily runs are covered in my post, people will be riveted on their performance and want to read every word. "Spareribs, tell me more about breger's run today," people will write. Bill and Steve are both quite excited at the potential. I am sure that many of you will want to get into this idea "on the ground floor" as they say, but space is rapidly filling up, so I would apply early for this service if I were you. Spareribs
                Ribs. (ok. I was busy. I really had just wondered about them. & skimmed the report, knowing it had to be good. Blush) Since I, at great personal cost to myself, drew much needed attention to your innovative scheme, I'm sure that you'll agree that I should have a free month of the premium version. While Carolyn has an excellent point, you couldn't do much harm to what I do anyway. but the dog stays. Tongue Hi Erika!

King of PhotoShop

I learned a few minutes ago that the Beers terminated my service agreement due primarily to the reason you suggested Wild, you non-believer you! Spareribs
                    Your experience again raises the question of why we can't get angiograms done more frequently--I read and remember Dr. Dale's explanation, primarily that: 1) there are false positives and; 2) it is an invasive procedure that has its risks (it IS the main artery they use). Still, the positives involved, in that it is an excellent diagnostic tool and pinpoints problems, make me think that it is worth insisting on scheduling one if one has heart disease or is experiencing clear symptoms. Of course, one would have to be informed of the risks and accept them. Again, this is the one test Tim Russert did NOT have. .
                    Amy- Do not worry that coronary angiography is being underutilized...as most good doctors take people to the cath lab and have a 10-15% (or more) 'normal' rate. This is because the risk/benefit is such that we need to know if people have the disease and is it significant or not. It is also important to understand that there are signficant risks that rarely happen with invasive procedures. I have seen people with normal coronary arteries and chest pain (not from their heart) have a cath with serious complications. It happens. We must be prudent on who we do any invasive procedure. Mr 'Ribs needed it done. He had symptoms that could have been from the valve and could have been from undiagnosed CAD. It was the right thing to do before possible open heart surgery. Mr Russert had known CAD and I'm presuming had a cath previously. He was reassesed with stress testing and did well on the test but dropped dead. The problem is that the way CAD is viewed in the medical world is different now. Sudden death cannot be predicted very well, but progressive CAD can be diagnosed pretty well and risk factors should be treated aggressively. Here is a good article on 'plaque' and CAD. http://heartdisease.about.com/od/coronaryarterydisease/a/New_CAD.htm Hopefully we will continue to get better at this cardiology stuff as heart disease is still the number one killer. Many thanks to 'ribs for so openly sharing his experience and enlightening so many people. ------------------------------ 3 recovery miles for me
                    TammyinGP

Ribs, I ran 3 slow boring miles on the TM at lunch . . . can you please make it sound more exciting and challenging? and since I'll be off line from Thurs til Monday, maybe you can give a daily recap of each of my relay legs - and don't forget my Sunday a.m. run with Tet - that deserves special attention also. Cool Shall I call you over the weekend and tell you how each leg goes?

Tammy

evanflein

...I embellish the fluidity and control you had on the turns of the track and your acceleration on the straighaways, while downplaying how hot you thought it was, and all your puking and whining about the heat. ...I also remove comments about your dog, how you stunk up the bathroom that day and how you really feel about your kids or your spouse....
                        Ah, Spareribs, they sure broke the mold when you came out... 6 miles at a pretty easy pace/effort today. Blister wrap didn't really hold, but didn't cause problems either. So far so good...
                          3.5 easy miles for me tonight. I have been having an issue that I think hindered my run tonight. Saturday I had a reaction to something that I have no idea what it was. The soles of my feet and the palms of my hands would get extremely itchy with no rash or welts or hives but just drive me nuts! I finally took some Benadryl on Monday night and got some relief. Today my chest feels heavy and I did not seem to breath very well on my run even though it was easy and short. I guess I better see the doc tomorrow if it is not any better. I have no known allergies and this is not something that I have experienced before. Only thing I can think of is I must be allergic to my own sweat because the last few runs the humidity has really lathered me up. Wink Good runs and even better reporting of them by Ribs, Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

The Jogger

Debs, you're running well. Smile

King of PhotoShop

Ribs, I ran 3 slow boring miles on the TM at lunch . . . can you please make it sound more exciting and challenging? and since I'll be off line from Thurs til Monday, maybe you can give a daily recap of each of my relay legs
                              Nothing will give me more pleasure than to give this forum a recap of your lovely legs. Spareribs
                              dg.

thanks Roy! Smile