Masters Running

How did you BQ? (Read 742 times)

evanflein

I started running in 2003, did 5k's and a 10k locally, just fun stuff really. In 2004 I started thinking about doing our local marathon, the Equinox. Thought about it all winter, and in the spring decided I'd make it a goal for the year. Used the Hal Higdon Novice plan, ran once a week with a group training for the same race, had a goal of 4:30 and finished in 4:26. I loved it. I had so much fun working for that goal and running that race, I got really depressed afterward. DH suggested that the best cure was another race, so we figured out where we'd like to go and chose Napa in 2006. Trained all winter and about 4 weeks out came down with terrible shin splints. Ran the race (in horrible weather) still suffering from them and had a miserable time... 4:33 and I wanted to cry I felt so beat up. Spent the rest of that summer treating various maladies and finally got better over the winter (did Equinox too, on a sprained ankle).

For some reason, I just hadn't had enough. Part of my Napa goal was a 4 hour finish, which would qualify me for Boston. I was secretly glad I hadn't qualified at Napa though because Boston 2007 was absolutely dreadful weather conditions. Set my next goal of a BQ at Humpy's Marathon in Anchorage, and worked hard all summer for that. Made it, too. A very nice course, not too hilly and not hot, made my goal with 3:52. (Then went on and did 5 more marathons over 5 months to earn 2 gold spinny stars with the Marathon Maniacs!)

First Boston was 2008 and set a PR on the course. It really is a nice race, but more than that, this awesome online community we have here at RA (and over at Kickrunners) makes it one of the best running event weekends there is!

Prince of Fatness

I will respond in October when I finally BQ.  That's right.  You heard it here first.

Not at it at all. 

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Wow, these are some great stories.

I used to "jog" during college - nothing serious.  Then I stopped running completely, gained about 30 pounds and went back to my "husky" roots.

Just before I turned 40, I decided to do something about my weight.  I started working out and took up "jogging" again.  I lost the weight, and started to build a mileage base.  By June of 2003, I had a 40 mile a week base, and I started to keep a running log.  I suggest you keep a log as well.

I kept building my base, and added longer runs to the mix, with the goal of running my first marathon in October 2003.  I was following an on line plan, and it included three long runs (20 miles or longer).  Over the course of those 4.5 months, I lost an additional 10 pounds, and felt much stronger.  That first marathon in Hartford, I ran a 3:17 - a BQ by 3 minutes.  I was slow, but steady.  That's always been my MO.

If I can do it, anyone can do it.  You just have to put your mind to it, and avoid injury.  Good luck.  

Marathon Maniac #957

I will respond in October when I finally BQ.  That's right.  You heard it here first.

Okay, we'll hold you to that.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Kimmie

I started running in 2004, when I was 34.  I ran the Marine Corps Marathon as my first in 2004.  Yup, I went right from starting running to running a marathon.  I was in fairly decent aerobic condition, though.

So, my first marathon was a 4:12.  And like Erika said, I was hooked.  I ran a marathon or 2 a year, all with times in the 4:00-4:20 range.  Then, in the fall of 2008, I ran Marine Corps again and got a 3:56.  And in February of 2009, I ran the Myrtle Beach Marathon and BQed with a 3:50.     

If anyone is interested, here is a link to my blog where I wrote a report on that race

http://kimogorek.blogspot.com/

I agree that you can totally do it!

Edited:  i am not sure how to link correctly.

Beginner all over again

These are great tales of experience here..!..

:-)

I can tell I'm not the only one excited to be reading about Your Story.

Please, continue to post -- This is fantanstic!

Queen of 3rd Place

Great stories everyone! Wow, y'all are fast!

Haven't made it yet, but my first 3 marathons went from 4:55 (Jan '09) to 4:31 (May '09) to 4:21 (Jan '10) - I was running them all at easy pace and didn't do anything in training other than consistent, easy miles. I ran about 1600 mi in 08 and 2100 in 09, almost all of them slow. Other folks around here have had similar or better improvement with fewer miles than me, well I'm just stupider than they are but I really love to get out there everyday. Anyway I figure another year or two and it will come. That's the great thing about this sport - long-term consistency really pays off! Keeps you out of trouble.

Full disclaimer: I'm not counting my uncomfortable experience at LA because (1) it was only 8 weeks after my Jan '10 marathon, (2) I was sick, (3) damn course was harder than expected. Nonetheless I had a 4:27 day.

Tater - you're sooo gonna rock your October race unless the marathon goddesses are having PMS or something.

Ex runner

Prince of Fatness

Tater - you're sooo gonna rock your October race unless the marathon goddesses are having PMS or something.

I've been derailed by PMS before.  More times than I can count.  But thanks.

Not at it at all. 

usandtoto-2@msn.com

I started running at the age of 43 and I'm now 52.  The first couple of years I had my share of injuries.  I ran several 1/2 marathons with the best being (1:51).   I then enlisted the help of an on-line coach to help me train for my first marathon.  Two months later (2/2003) I lowered my 1/2 marathon PR to 1:42.  I ran the Shamrock Marathon the next month in Viriginia Beach (3:34) (I need a 3:30 at the time to BQ).  Over the next couple of years I ran four more marathons while averaging about 50 miles per week.  My times didn't improve in the marathons but, did get better in all the shorter distances. I wanted to increase my miles per week, but, my coach didn't.  So we parted ways.  6 months after upper my mileage to over 60 per week, I BQ'd at Kiawah Island (12/05 3:27).  Then, ran Boston the following April and BQ'd there (3:25).  I've now completed 40 marathons with almost half being BQ's (3:35 or lower) with my PR of 3:18.  I have run multiple marathons:  3 in three weekends and 2 in one weekend.

I learned alot from my coach and have been injury free for the past 4 plus years while running over 3000 miles per year.   You need to start out slow and gradually build.  Marathons are not easy, heck running any distance is not easy.  Learn your body and listen to what it is telling you.  It takes a while to build endurance but, the body will learn.  ME??  I'm just a slow learner with not much natural running ability.  If I can do it, you can too.  Have fun and enjoy the ride.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Wow!  What a great collection of stories!  This is proof positive that this goal is attainable for many of us "average" runners.

I started running in my early 20's after a most unathletic childhood.  Ran right through my first pregnancy, but after a couple years and another child, it just wasn't practical (or safe) to keep to my early dark o'clock running schedule (lived in Boston! at the time). 

Fast-forward 20 years and I picked it up again in 1996 at age 40.  I was always fascinated by the prospect of the marathon distance.  I trained up and registered for marathons twice in the late 90's - and was felled both times by stress fractures in the late stages of the training cycle.  Got discouraged and retreated to recreational "jogging".  In 2004, my daughter suggested we run a half-marathon together.  I couldn't say no to my little girl (age 24), so we ended up at Disney World in January 2005.  That went well, so I decided to ever-so-cautiously build the distance up, and miraculously ended up at the starting line of the Frederick Marathon in May 2005 at age 49.  I finished comfortably and happily in 4:28, and looked for the next challenge.  Over the next two years, I ran Philly (4:21), Frederick (4:08) again, Vermont City (4:08) and then finally BQ'd by a hair at Hartford (4:04:31) in 2007.   Woo-hoo! 

Tomorrow will be my 11th marathon and 3rd Boston.  I'm turning 55 this year, and have become faster, fitter and less injury prone.  I've also met some fantastic friends through running, most of them through this forum.  It's been great fun!  (And as one of my crowning achievements, I brought WRFB into running after 10 years of trying.  Now we travel to races together and get to share the fun, the health benefits, and the challenges of this sport).

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Beginner all over again

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Anyone else?

A lot of us are interested in hearing more...

Beginner all over again

I was just enjoying re-reading the posts on this topic.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your story.

And if you didn't share your story yet, feel free to chime in.

:-)

xor

I went that way, really fast.

When someone got in my way, I turned.

Ah, who am I kidding.  I'm slow.

Prince of Fatness

I will respond in October, 2011,  when I finally BQ.  That's right.  You heard it here first.

Fixed that for myself.

Not at it at all. 

I look my best blurry!

Well, I'm 44 and hoping to BQ in my first marathon in Sept.  I've been running for 18 mos with a few breaks for injuries.  Now I am healthy and training pretty well.  I think I can, I think I can!  However......

Question- at my race this past Saturday, I mentioned this to someone.  I think registration opens for Boston the beginning of Sept.  My hopeful BQ qualifier is Sept 12th.  Do you think this will be too late?  Do you think it will close before this?  My friend said it fills very quickly and I won't be able to get in!  OMG!  This is freaking me out!