Masters Running

Monday Feb 18 Runs (Read 715 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I know I can't fill DH's considerable shoes but I'll give it a shot Smile Holly--some would consider that an invitation, not a threat Big grin I'm still trying to decide....

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Jlynne

My conscience got the best of me...back to the Y for another 6 miles and upper body work. The 6 plus earlier 4 gives me 10 for the day. I'll take it! Rochrunner, sorry to hear you and the Mrs came down with the flubug. The national news has been saying the flu shot they gave this year isn't working on this strain of virus. Holly, that's probably why everyone at your house is sick. BTB1490, sounds like you need a day off as well. Bill, it's good you scheduled a doctor's appointment. Always better to be safe than sorry. For CNY Runner, Sue and Runningindc, soak up that warm weather! After yesterday's storm dumped 10 inches of snow here, we got the forecast for tonight and tomorrow: 3-4 more inches. This has been the winter from hell. Good runs, all Jeanne
        Roch - sorry to hear you and DW got the bad bug,...hope you both are back to feeling good soon.
        Thanks, Holly. And I hope that you can dodge this bullet, which is probably the same thing that's hit your household already. I got the shot this year and my DW didn't, but we both ended up with the same thing.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Morning all. Hang in there bad weather runners. Spring is in the air here and will head east eventually. Smile Confession: I'm still in my pjs drinking coffee and watching the Today show. It's another sunny day, teasing again of warmth. I'm nursing a bad blister from yesterday's run, so I think it's going to be a dog park rather than a dog walk kind of day. Lots of work to get done today, which I'll do at home as the kids are still in Maine and I have a quiet house. Dinner and race report coming later today. I'm hoping the results are up soon. Still thinking of what to say. This quote I came across a few weeks ago (from "Dune") stuck in my head as I headed into the race. Maybe one of you will get as much out of it as I did yesterday. Smile I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
            Bill I am betting it was just an off day due to the heat and following your illness. FWIW I managed to collapse and perhaps pass out while just walking around at something like an auto show. They had the EMT's there to look me over. Sent my DW into a tizzy! In the end she got me to the doctor who then sent me to a cardiologist who then said I should not drink on an empty stomach. Good thing I did not have that problem while at college! Big grin Anyway, I am sure your story will end similarly. Today was speed work day! Dead I hate this stuff. Pfitz basically has you do lactate threshold runs early on and then transition into V02 max speed work as the training cycle progresses. I am in the transition phase so this was the first of these torture sessions: 6x600meter runs @5K pace. I did have some good fortune today though. First, a running friend came out with me for the workout so that helped a HUGE amount. Second, it is pretty warm here in CT today. For February it is a toasty 52! That also helped with the workout. In the end the total millage was 9.63. I am going to have to do my longer runs one after the other early on this week. I am flying off to Vancouver on Thursday and back on Saturday. With the time change that means Saturday is my official rest day as it will be spent entirely on a plane. My flight on Thursday should get in early enough to get a run in. I am going to shoot for 15 miles. Anybody know of a route through the Burnaby area that I might try? Good runs and rest days all!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Soundalina - I didn't see it at first right above but thanks for your weekend update. one of the perennial MM"s said it was the best weather they've ever had for one up there.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

bap

61 degrees!!!! I'm out the door...

Certified Running Coach
                Crocked since 2013

9 miles to start off my week on the right foot. It is good having a week off from school and run whenever I want to. Next time I will be smart enough to start my run uphill and into the 30mph wind instead of finishing it that way. Nobody ever accused me of being smart.
                    Another sunny day here in the PNW. I feel pretty good after that 20-miler yesterday. I didn't have to take any IBU and today my quads are a bit tired and sore but no damage I believe. I had a hard time getting to sleep last night and today it occurred to me it's probably due to the extensive sun exposure I had yesterday messing with my circadian rhythm. I would have thought by now Dark Horse's ears would be burning. Breger1 - probably still working on that virus and the H&H. But only you know your body. CNYrunner, that sounds scary. Glad it turned out ok. FWIW, I quite nearly passed out during a presentation I was making for a job interview when I was 13 weeks pregnant and hadn't eaten enough in the morning. It really doesn't take much to push me over the edge. Wink I often feel like passing out at hot stuffy malls just walking around shopping. Soundie, can't wait for the report! Oh, rest day here, of course.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Holly: If DH was hanging around he would be all over that knee comment Big grin...where is he? Confused
                      It crossed my mind....but I thought better of it!
                      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                        61 degrees!!!! I'm out the door...
                        BAP, it's warmer where you are than in Los Angeles. Enjoy!! Yesterday I ran 11.75 miles easy pace, today 1 hour cross training with the drill sarge PT lady. It's my 14th wedding anniversary too Smile. Wearing a lot of bling today. Huz exceeded expectations.
                        evanflein

Congratulations Dromedary! We're having a heat wave! It could get up to 40 today, and most likely will up at my house. Oh boy, what a mess the roads will be. While it may sound nice, that's really too warm for us because it starts a lot of melting and dripping, and it will get cold again, so there will be freezing and icing... Ugh. Our roof will leak in all the familiar areas... Undecided Holly, and Roch... I've heard that the flu shot this year, which is always prepared based on best case predictions, sort of missed the mark with the actual virus that's been going around. I've not yet gotten my flu shot this year, and may not bother. But the clinics here are still saying it's worth getting (probably because they have lots of vaccine left over!) and will provide some protection against some of the bugs. Not sure though. Hope you guys all recover well and avoid it if you haven't been afflicted yet! Soundie... waiting for that RR! I didn't see you in the intrepid listing so wasn't sure what the event was for you... JJJ, somethin' wrong with your fingers, man? Get that RR done pronto! Cross training day supposedly. I've pretty much blown those off the last couple of weeks and really feel I should knock that off. But it seems like Mondays are days that get so busy... and legs are usually tired from the weekend. Should do some weights with the ol' stability ball tonight. That's always good to do in the living room. Embarrasses the heck out of the kids. Better yet if they have friends over... Wink
                            Soundrunner! I am counting on you for some excellent at the hotel reading tonight! Get on it! Erika, Triple Js report is in a thread labeled with the race name. You'll see it in the racing section as well. So sorry about the flu feeling Rochrunner. My pathologist running pal never gets a flu shot and her husband the surgeon always does. It seems that there are so many strains and then they mutate, I am guessing it's tough each year. Enke---sounds like you rocked your 20 miler. I am sort of sorry that I didn't run today since it's 57 degrees here as I get ready to head to the airport. The temps in Atlanta look great too. As Erika noted, the warmth is nice and yet there are flood warnings throughout the area and this will freeze and be so treacherous. The snow banks are still two feet in places. Can you tell I am dragging my feet? Two days on the road and then I am going to take Thursday-Sunday off from work and posting here and everything just to focus on home. I have been on the road a lot and the next months promise the same----even a trip to Spain in May to see a client. Until soon CNY
                              After a awful weekend of trying to run, I took the day off and went to the Dr. office. Well it's strep throat! Cry Got an antibiotic and he says I should be good to go on Wednesday or Thursday. Smile I thought about riding it out but that could have taken quite awhile. So it can never hurt to go see the doctor. Hear that all you sicko's Clowning around Everyone get well soon............

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Marathon Maniac #957

It's my 14th wedding anniversary too Smile. Wearing a lot of bling today. Huz exceeded expectations.
                                Congratulations! CNYrunner - a trip to Spain? You know, you could probably stuff me into a suitcase....but then, knowing your recent luggage mishap, it'd be my luck to end up on a flight to Greenland... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."