Masters Running

Mon 1/19 Daily - Good Day To Be Alive! (Read 479 times)

King of PhotoShop

I might as well add my two cents to the Tim advice. I can't figure out why you are running at all. I would stick to walking at this stage. It's good for you and not nearly as risky as running. 3.3 recovery miles on the dirt track with a friend who is prepping for Comrades. She was doing 6 as a recovery also from her LR yesterday so my slow pace didn't bother her at all. I know now why I can never be a pro football defensive back. it's because I don't have that long hair coming out the back of my helmet. I don't know that Steeler guy's name but he sure is quick! Spareribs

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Tim - PLEASE to not go for another run this evening!! Listen to the words of wisdom here - you need to come back slowly. I am happy for you that you are able to start again!! Big grin Yea! Doug is posting again - where have you been!!?? Rest day for me. I was out for 7 miles in the never ending snow yesterday. A friend of my husband's called him to tell him I am nuts. Evidentally he saw me running on the side of the road. DH said that he agrees, but if I go to long without getting "out" for a run then I start getting a little cranky! Confused

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

JDMom – didn’t you post the link to that recently too?
        Holly, I don't think I did but that is the link to the plan that I used when coming back from my stress fracture. Tim, you should check it out. It worked well for me. I know you are not a couch potato and as someone else mentioned, that is half the problem. Your cardiovascular system is all set to go, but your foot/heel is not. Take it easy. SLO, that is cold! I find that it is easy to get out of swimming shape. When I get back in the pool, I always feel my lats the most. They are so sore and tight after I swim for a decent amount of time. I think triathletes must be in the best shape since they exercise all those different muscles all the time. Happy MLK Day everyone. I did an hour of pilates this morning and then ran 4 easy miles on the treadmill. The knee felt good today.

Once a runner . . .

Spareribs, the scary thing about that Steeler is he was playing with a calf injury and was still that quick. He said to himself if Tim is going to run 3 miles with his injuries a Conference Championship Game should be a walk in the park. A nice easy 6 miles under bright blue skies and 19 degree temps. Footing was good which made the run enjoyable.
          Slo

Footing was good which made the run enjoyable. Man I long for those days. It's been slush, Ice, something like foundry sand.......just not dry roads. My calves have certainly benefitted from it though.......for what ever reason it seems they get a good work out when the roads are snow covered. My wife has even noticed Cool
            PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hi all. No run today - just spin city and fizzy lifting. Yesterday I bored myself for 16 on the TM - tried 4 different ones at the same pace to see which TM I liked best. Yes, I know. I can say OCD. After that, took PBJster #2 and PBJ Jr. to the roller rink (sponsored by the local girl scout troops). Blisters developed for all. How many Jonas Brothers/Miley Cyrus songs can you listen too before your brain shuts down? 2 for me.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Ummmm, I sorta feel like Confused right now. Run, don't run - walk and run - run and walk - walk only - shouldn't be running at all yet. Hey, I am a late bloomer to Triathlons and serious running, and have never had to come back from an injury before.....this is all new to me. Ribs, I bet I walk briskly about 5 or 6 miles or more at work everyday, and everyone keeps telling me to slow down - or what's your hurry. But I am always on a mission to get my work done...I work at a very large Chevy dealership and have to walk allll over the place. Confused TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

SLO, I know what you mean about the footing. I don't mind the cold, but running on ice, or snow like that sand you mentioned, egad I hate it. I do a lot of treadmill running (and hey Doug, I post about it!) in the winter. I'd like to get outside today for a couple, but we've got freezing rain advisory and snow... yuk. But I am planning on driving today, so I don't know which is worse! Tim, there's no one easy answer that works for everyone. Just be sure to pay close attention to how it feels. Don't push pace or effort. Walk lots. The key is keep it all easy and relaxed and take your time. Last night's run: 11.74 miles on the treadmill. Thank God for Solarmix 6 and 8... Mile paces were: 8:49, 8:41, 3 @ 8:34, 3 @ 8:20, 3.74 @ 8:13. I even cranked it up to 8 m/m for the last minute or so to try to hit 11.75 on the nose, but still fell short. Today I think I'll head to the gym after dropping DS1 off at a friend's house for a school project. We all have the day off work today... Thinking of Donna and Tom today................

Renee the dog

Ummmm, I sorta feel like Confused right now. Run, don't run - walk and run - run and walk - walk only - shouldn't be running at all yet. Hey, I am a late bloomer to Triathlons and serious running, and have never had to come back from an injury before.....this is all new to me.
                    I think everyone provided various suggestions to basically say: DO LESS THAN WHAT YOU ALREADY WENT OUT AND DID! My answer was an aggressive answer, just trying to take into account your personality. Listen to Spareribs. He knows way more than I do. dg, forgot to say yesterday, that YES, my pomegranate eating son will be coming to the Shamrock in 2010. Along with my daughter and my husband. They will run the kids races and 8K the day before the marathon!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

biketm there is more than one way to skin a cat or come back from an injury. What I think you are seeing is that varous people adopt their own plans in part as they fit their personalities and experience. To what degree are you willing to trade risk for ramping up, what authorities do you trust for advice, etcetera. (By authorities I do not actually mean your many friends here. Sorry all! Wink I am talking about those that study athletes and their recovery from injury and what they suggest. The myriad opinions here also reflect who we have consulted with in the past.) Ultimately, you will need to decide where you land in all this and work on your recovery accordingly. But, one thing that seems to be common to all, so far, is that you look like you are pushing too hard too soon. Good luck with the many decisions you will have coming up about your training. Ultimately, whatever you do is likely to be fine if you are not too aggressive. What "not too aggressive" means is, alas, the $64,000 question. Have I mentioned to the group this wonder drug called Cipro for which I have but one dose left to go? No! Well let me recommend the stuff to everybody! You have no idea what this can do for you! Injured? Need to take it easy or not run at all? Cipro for you! Yes, you will feel so run down and awful all day that thoughts of a fast paced run will evaporate long before you can reach for your sneakers! (Editor: Maybe you should send biketm some? Twocat: Now that is just mean! Editor: Yea but pretty funny! Big grin Twocat: Roll eyes ) Are you signed up for the Weightloss thread and find that everybody is losing weight other than you? Well, my friend it is Cipro for you! Nothing like feeling sick to your stomach to kill those nasty snack cravings! Heck, it will kill those nasty breakfast, lunch and dinner cravings as well! What more could you want? Yes, Cipro for runners the ideal drug! Only available by prescription. Ask your doctor for Cipro! Dead I went off for a 9 mile run today. Felt better than yesterday. Who knows why. Started with my DW but she dropped me when I went off to the facilities at the beach. The nerve! Smile Hey that reminds me of a question/story I have. For New Year's Day my DW and I spent the night in NYC at a friend's apartment. To carry all of our stuff we took one bag and "split it" as in 70-30 "split it." New Year's Day we get home and I put the bag a few feet from the foot of the bed. As I typically do, I then unpacked my stuff and left the bag right there for her. Later, while I was downstairs, she unpacked and also left the bag right where it was. No word to me that the bag could go back to the basement. Neither did she move it from its rather central location in the bedroom. That night she went to bed first and not wanting to wake her up I walked through the room in the dark. So you know what happened. Yes, I mashed my toes on the bag. One still has an ugly blood blister on it. Now whose fault was it that the now empty bag was smack in the middle of the room? Right you are. Mine! Roll eyes Why? Well I was the one who put it there in the first place! Silly me. I guess I should have unpacked my stuff and then simply taken the bag with her stuff still in it to the basement. Evil grin Yea, and I want to get my left arm cut off with a dull knife too. (This paragraph should now end with one five letter word, but not wanting to get into tons of trouble here I am not going to add it! Big grin)

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Renee the dog

seekret message to Twocat: Does that 5 letter word rhyme with brick? Tongue

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Now whose fault was it that the now empty bag was smack in the middle of the room? Right you are. Mine! Roll eyes Why? Well I was the one who put it there in the first place! Silly me. I guess I should have unpacked my stuff and then simply taken the bag with her stuff still in it to the basement. Evil grin Yea, and I want to get my left arm cut off with a dull knife too. (This paragraph should now end with one five letter word, but not wanting to get into tons of trouble here I am not going to add it! Big grin) Twocat - I have a rule at my house. When we come back from vacation and unpack suitcases, I'll leave mine in the middle of the bedroom. If I do all the dirty laundry, the least DH can do is take the empty luggage back down to the basement.Big grin Sure sorry your meds are making you sick, but think of how svelte you'll look in your swimming togs this summer!
                            Twocat, you are killing me! That cipro stuff is sure strong. Btw, we have the same luggage problems in our household. I leave all of them by the back door, so that they can go out into the garage. I can't put them in there since they have to go way up high underneath a whole bunch of unused hockey equipment and lord knows I don't want stuff to fall down on his motorcycle... so the bags stay there for about three weeks whilst we both trip over them. Also, I hate "certain" antibiotics. I was on one for 5 days before I had to quit it....bad diarrhea. Anyway, I probably could have fought the infection off by myself...actually I did when it recurred 9 months later, that is what our immune systems are designed for. Those 5 days of antibiotics gave me 2 months of painful intestinal problems and unwanted weight loss. Happy MLK day!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

It's funny how drugs affect people differently. I take Cipro occasionally for UTIs, and it does nothing to me except to cure the infection! Weird. Maybe it's a different dosage?

#artbydmcbride

20 miles. with hills.

Runners run