Masters Running

Weekly Newbies, All welcome. Join us here. Its a lot of fun. (Read 425 times)

Just bumping us up. I havent ran in a week. Legs (both) hurt too much. I did 15 mins on the wave machine (simulates skating) yesterday and now I am in pain. Swimming is it for me for now. Heres a good newbie subject. Is it better for new runners to run by time or distance? My running club does a twice yearly clinic. We teach the new women runners to run by time, increasing their run time and decreasing their walk time until they are running 30 mins. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I haven't run in a week, either! My ankle's been bothering me a little, and I just have this feeling I need to rest it. The ONLY way I could run as a brand new runner was by time. I couldn't even do three straight minutes at first! I literally increased minute by minute for quite awhile. Once I reached 20 minutes, I hit a plateau and it took forever to get past that! I remember being very happy to hit 30 minutes. Now I run by distance since I know I can do it!
      stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi guys, gee, I haven't run in over a week either Sad have to be short since it's time to go. Just got a call from my cardio to tell me that insurance won't cover our first choice of docs, but that they do have someone that does the same procedure at a more acceptable hospital. It just means a little bit of a start-over, since I had already had my preliminary visit with the 1st doc. Have to do a little research, but my cardio is familiar (and satisfied) with the recommended one. I'll keep you all posted. Teresa--glad your insurance worked out. They surprise you every once in a while. I think I'm getting second choice, but not second rate. and it will be a little bigger deductible, but not the whole thing Shocked Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Yikes! Am I the only newbie who's actually running? Laurie - thanks for giving us a fresh start. Sorry your legs are still so sore. The wave machine sounds cool, though. Teresa - smart move on resting the ankle, I think. Kevin - so sorry about the heart issue, and that the insurance company's giving you the runaround. Glad your doc is comfortable with the new one they're sending you to. I used to be in health administration. Whenever things are bad at school I invoke one of my many mantras: a bad day at Blankety-Blank Middle School is better than a good day at Blankety-Blank Hospital! At least now I get to have fun with kids every now and then. Just in from 4.6 miles. Tried for 5, but I was beat. Felt like I was working harder and harder, but going slower and slower. First time I came in with frost on my head! Well, my hat actually. We're supposed to get the coldest weather in something like 5 years later in the week - the weather people are all in not-so-mild hysterics over daytime temps in the 20s. I'm in the market for a new pair of warmer running gloves and possibly a new hat as well. Will stop by the running store, conveniently located along my daily commute, on Thursday. Maybe new gear will inspire me to brave the coldest temps in which I will have ever run. Stay healthy, everyone! Eliz Smile

flomotioncoaching.com

I started out running by distance. Which was not such a good idea. 1.5 miles on a tread mill then slowly increased it to 3 miles then started running outside. That was hard to do and I nearly burned out. I think by time is easier. Then make it by distance after you are experienced running. Experimented last night. Ten minutes walking on the treadmill. Then lots of stretching. Then a slow 1 mile run in the gym track. Legs still hurt after that easy run. I'm cooked. Its swimming or nothing for me. Wish I had healed by now. I see runners coming down my street and get jealous. Theresa, its funny to read that you had a hard time with 3 minutes and now you can run forever. Are you in a lot better shape now or just a better runner? Kevin, glad you have choices. I am sure the 2nd choice doc is good too. Mike, where are you? Roberta, still running? Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

dg.

Laurie, thanks for moving us up. a little catch up from the last thread.... I'm glad swimming's working for you. takes away the pain? very nice. I wonder why. I hate it when my browser eats my post. I'm writing this in notepad. you asked what do i have 2 of--- pitas. (hammies & piriformis). still able to run at this point, am hoping it's not a mistake. I talked to PT that runs at my gym yesterday, he said if the pain was at a 3 or 4, that it was ok as long as I was able to recover sufficiently the next day. I thought that might be useful. so sorry your run didn't work out. Linda, you did it! Smile. It's too bad your foot was sore..but I think it shows you're taking the right approach. very very gradual. How is it now? yuck, 13 hours. my DH really loves year end stuff. he had to work every day, while we were closed for the holidays... and through the weekend. I hope yours eases up soon. have you walked again? I know you don't have any time. just a little would probably help, don't you think? would it be good if we got back in the mode of more regularly posting our workouts here? Not necessarily a long, answering everything kind of post (which is what always holds me back) but just what we did. ok. i'll start. this morning I did the Injured Runner dvd. 1/2 hr. the end. Wink. back to LInda.... thanks for your advice. It does make sense... I'll repeat it here for all of us because it was very good. "well, maybe the problem is the slowly increasing... Maybe you should do the same distance over & over, until the body [instead of our head???] wants to go farther (instead of doing the slow increases). I think you maybe pushing your body to these injuries because the increases are too quickly for your body - even though they seem slow to you". In this particular case it wasn't as much the 11 miler as it was what I did for that whole week.... I didn't do a gradual increase, I added days & types of runs & just everything at once. I will admit that I hurt even before I started that LR. But I'd just gotten back after a month of being sick & wanted 2 whole normal weeks in a row. So, now I'm paying for it. However... even when I am doing a by the book gradual, you're right. It doesn't mean that we're ready for that. one more time I'll try to pay attention. I really really don't want any more setbacks. Am considering seeing a sports med doc just to see why i get reinjured so easily. (as in, what state the tissues are in) (oh yeah. MI). Teresa, I'm so sorry about your ankle. thanks for posting that.... it did help at least to know I wasn't the only one. Not that I wish ankle pain on you. I've resisted having yearly goals because I think it would be even harder to cut back when it was time for it. Anyway... glad you're resting it. Kevin, frustrating a little but still, progress. It's very good your cardio is satisfied with the recommended one. at least your insurance will cover something! any idea when??? Eliz... is it really that much warmer there than here? I mean... it's going to be cold there.. but mid day 20's seems warm now. I'd always thought we had about the same weather. I hope it's not too bad for you... I know you do all your running outside. I feel like such a wimp, but at least I have an indoor option. a good thing. we're having record cold this week too. and abundant snow. oh boy. Mike, thanks (from sadie too) for your skunk sympathy. How are you?
                Deb - I do have an indoor option in PA, since I belong to a gym, but I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate the treadmill. I'm going to tough it out in the great outdoors as long as I can in terms of temperatures, but if we get snow and it turns into slush and then re-freezes, I'll suck it up and hit the dreadmill. Would rather be miserable on the TM for a few runs than risk slipping and breaking my head open! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Me

Hello everyone, I'm sorry that everyone is on the DL. Getting old sucks. I remember when. . . no wait, that wasn't me. Never mind. Did I say that getting old really sucks? I started running by time. I started with the C25K program. After I finished that, I was at 3 miles, and I ran by mileage from then on. I have an easier time doing that because I can plan it easier. I run a specific route and if my time changes then I am able to use that as a guage of my effort. If I ran by time, I might still be a mile from home when I finish. Then what would I do? Heaven forbid I would have to walk home. 4 miles for me this morning. Cheers, Mike
                  stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Welcome back Mike. Glad the miles are still coming. eliz--good for you to get out in the cold! I think I almost like the 20s and 30s the best for running, as long as there's no wind. Then I change my mind a little. I've accumulated enough cold weather gear that I can handle most any temp now. i only go for the double layers on the legs when it's 10 or less. Time then distance. but time for a long while. C25K, then 1 hour runner. i did that all on 3 days a week. And to think I was about to add a 4th day to get my miles up. I had a good visit with the new doc today. Still fluttering and no firm schedule, but it sounds like I should be able to have the procedure within a few weeks. He said that I can start running again as soon as the catheter incision heals in a week or so. If anyone is curious, I have a really nice handout I can e-mail. I'll have a cardiac MRI within a week or so that they use as reference, then the procedure shortly after that. More to follow. Happy Friday all. time to head home. Kevin

Me

Good afternoon Everyone, Kevin, I'm glad that you are going to get the issue resolved. What type of procedure is it? I think you mentioned it a week or so ago, but I didn't understand. (put in engineering terms and I'll get it). Good luck. I'll keep you in my prayers. I had the most wonderful phone call from my oldest son last night. He called to tell me that he loved me and appreciated me. He went on to say that he values the friendship that we have developed. (sniff) That from the kid that wouldn't admit that he had a dad 10 years ago, let alone say it was me. 4 miles for me this afternoon. (I had to let it warm up a little. It was 9 degrees this morning). I had a nice little laugh this morning on the way into work. All the schools in the area closed this morning, because it was cold. I feel bad for all of y'all up north. Cheers, Mike
                      dg.

short short. out of here in a second. will learn about the 'future of nasa' tonight. Wink. so just, Kevin, yay. phew. yay. yes, i'd love to see the information you have. Mike, that's so nice. Big grin. I had a call like that from Amanda once, she was remembering things I'd done when she was younger, & just wanted me to know that she appreciated them. sniff from me too. -13 here this morning. -29 windchill. 3 on the track for hammie kindness, then elliptical & upper body weights. yesterday 4.79, then lower body weights. (said i'd report more. there you go. ) i started with distance, because i was replacing what i used to walk. kept building on the distance. not the best way to start i think. happy friday to you all.
                        stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Deb--I thought I had your e-mail from a while back, but can't seem to locate it. If you psot it, I'll send it along.

Kev, I'll take the pamphlet too. laddoms@comcast.net. Its good news and I hope everything goes well and easy. Mike, are you the only uninjured runner on this board now? Theresa, whats the temp up there? I woke up to 0 today. Its up to 15 now. Tomorrow when we get snow its supposed to be up to 20. Will feel like a heat wave then. Gym workout for me today. I was a good PT patient and took it easy on my leg. Swimming lessons hogged the pool this morning so no swim for me. I think I need my own indoor pool and hot tub in my basement. Laurie

Rindaroo

Hi everyone - I'm finally coming up for air. I have not done any more walking or running on the treadmill. I have been so exhausted.. Last Saturday was 13 hours (like I already mentioned), Sunday was 9 hours - & worked maybe 10 hours for most of the week.. on top of 12 hour days the week before. I must be getting old, this really wipes me out. Plus I'm having to keep my DS on track with school.. did I mention we went back to the doc & he has til the end of the month to shape up again & I had that long to get the school to do what they promised as part of the 504 plan.. At the end of the month if things aren't better, we try meds again. All this on top of all these hours! So, like I said exhausted & no time for exercise. Anyway, he's brought 3 F's up to a C, a D, & still one F. He has made up all his homework/projects, & one class needs to turn in his interactive notebook to get graded (the F).. so its getting better... So, my plan? Treadmill today & tomorrow since I'm not working (been ordered to stay home & recharge my batteries). Also, I slept til 9:15 this morning Smile Deb - I think my advice is a good plan.. it is what Tom White insisted on for me, & has helped to reduce the injuries tremendously. Lately my injuries are do to my DD.... oy! I say don't worry about addressing everyone, just post your workouts. Its what I do, & answer what I can remember off the top of my head (if I have time). I think the support is good for you, & you need to not worry about everyone else for a little bit Smile how's that sound? Kevin - good news that you're getting to a doc that insurance will cover Smile Hope the process goes quickly. Mike - Ahhhh what a great feeling about your son's call Smile Okay.. gonna try the treadmill.. will come back & report later.
                              dg.

thanks Kevin! it's dsmith956@hotmail.com Laurie, yes. definitely a pool & a hot tub in your basement. Linda... no wonder you're exhausted! way way too much. (& then there's that old thing... Roll eyes ) I'm glad DS's grades are up some... did you mean to the end of the month according to the school, or his doctor? What did DD do? -- step on your foot, or something else? Oh, what you suggested sounded good. See, I'm trying it already. Smile Also training wise... I am trying to listen more. really. Sometimes am successful. It's about time you get a day off. How was the TM? is your neck ok? I'm a little on the DL but am still running. Today's a rest day, so far just some core & pt type exercises. I'm not sure what to do tomorrow. the 3 mile recovery run yesterday hurt a little more than I'd like, but wasn't more than a 4, not much anyway. Some say it's ok then. I think I'll to go the gym instead of the river. If I can't get in a decent length run it isn't worth all the trouble to get ready for it right now. Last week they hadn't plowed. I think they probably did since then, but we've gotten a lot more snow today. Temps look better than they've been but still pretty cold. I guess I'll see how I feel later tonight. ok, this is a little tacky, but does anybody have hernia experience? I have an umbilical one, bothers me intermittently. It's been bad for a while, I think too much heavy shoveling. I need to shovel now (dh isn't home), but have been cleaning house & too much vacuuming & moving things. (first lesson. no more of that). It hurts & I'm not sure if I should go out & shovel or not. I know they can do weird things but not what causes it. sorry. TMI!