Masters Running

Saturday, September 6tj runs and what have you (Read 431 times)

Tropical Storm Hanna 5k race this morning. Brought home 1st place in my AG, and a tech shirt that I won in the drawing.
    Nice job, PDR. I like a fast woman. I also like a woman who dresses inexpensively. Dark Horse
    I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Quick fly by post for me as I am beat. 20 miles - 3:05 - 9:15 ave pace. I was tired from the start till the very end, and never found a groove or the running zone we love....but I got it done. 10 miler planned tomorrow which will be my first 30 mile weekend ever. Very nice run Bruce...glad you survived the car. Check back later after showering and eating. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Congrats on the AG win PDR! Nice long runs Bruce and Tim...it is tougher when you don't find a grove. I did the Ollie 5-miler in Boston this morning. Because my left ham was tight I just ran it as a training run (keeping a very short stride). It was 77 and humid, so it was easy to talk myself out of pushing hard. I wished I picked it up just a little as I missed my 5mi PR by 6 seconds :-P Oh well. I do feel much better about not putting my marathon in jeopardy by risking injury in a non-target race. 5miles 32:25, 6:29 pace HR 160avg 174mx (on the hill) not sure how I placed as there were a lot of fast runners. Go Sox!
        -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
        also on Twitter
        Dave59

Busy day. 4 easy miles in the early afternoon.

Congrats on the AG win PDR! Nice long runs Bruce and Tim...it is tougher when you don't find a grove. I did the Ollie 5-miler in Boston this morning. Because my left ham was tight I just ran it as a training run (keeping a very short stride). It was 77 and humid, so it was easy to talk myself out of pushing hard. I wished I picked it up just a little as I missed my 5mi PR by 6 seconds :-P Oh well. I do feel much better about not putting my marathon in jeopardy by risking injury in a non-target race. 5miles 32:25, 6:29 pace HR 160avg 174mx (on the hill) not sure how I placed as there were a lot of fast runners. Go Sox!
            hey busiman - i ran that race this morning too -- the humidity certainly was oppressive wasn't it?? not even a breeze going by the water..........but i had SO MUCH FUN!! drove into Boston with 2 guys from my running group and there had to be at least 20 or more MVS runners there -- we had a great time my Garmin had me at 5.09 miles in 47:23 - avg 9:19 pace -- very happy with that!! i was in my MVS red singlet, black running shorts and white Boston marathon cap as always!! the after party was tons of fun and now i'm going to sleep for a few hours before going in to work tonight!! HAPPY SATURDAY!! try to stay dry and if you cant then just have fun!! eta: just saw the official results on coolrunning - 47:45 for avg pace 9:33 - no chip start tho so i'm sticking with my garmin time!! Tongue

denise

Tramps

1. up too late. 2. wasn't originally scheduled to run today but needed to make up for missed run 3. soggy Hannah I could have overcome any one of these--maybe even two--but the combination turned today into a core work day, instead of a run. PDR & WRFB--nice! Busiman & Deez--Well done! Ribs--I still have W&P in a crumbling paperback edition held together with rubber band. But when I read it in school, it never really spoke to me. At the time, I was most impressed by the fact that (apparently) his wife copied the thing out for him through a half dozen drafts. Also, I'm notoriously bad with names and had to write a running list of characters to keep things straight. Roll eyes

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Spareribs - Big grin WRFB, PDR and Denise – well done! Busiman – still, nice to come so close to a PR when you weren’t even trying that hard. Today’s workout: 40 minutes elliptical 2.3 miles on the TM After the kids came along and my household responsibilities increased, DH began doing all the budgeting and bill-paying in our house, but today he sat down and asked me to take it over again, because he is finding it too stressful. I really don’t mind – I did it all the years before I met him and in the early years of our marriage, and it might be fun to explore some personal finance software products out now (any suggestions?), since our budget is a bit more complicated now than it used to be. We just won’t tell him about yesterday’s little mathematical mishap…. Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Great race report Spareribs. Big grin 8.8 miles at a 12:30 pace. I am still having trouble with my left leg/knee/foot. My current thinking - flavour of the day, and I don't know how long this therory will hold - that it is my form that is causing my current woes. Roll eyes I'm going to continue with the exercises and add some more core stuff from Pilates and see where it goes. We're expecting the rain tomorrow. mta: make it clearer

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

evanflein

PDR! I know exactly what you mean! After my last 5k, I remember thinking, no... wait! I want a do-over! I know where I messed up! But, life isn't like that or I'd be asking for do-overs all the time. Good job to both you and WRFB on racing in the rain... certainly not IRC. Spareribs, we knew you'd do greta. I always say I'm going to volunteer at a race I don't run, but haven't yet. Holly, I do the filing and financial stuff around here. DH has a degree in finance, but when we started dating, he hadn't balanced his checkbook in years. He likes to tell me that he never bounced a check ever... until I started balancing his checkbook to the penny every month and somehow that knowing "exactly" how much was in there threw him off. Whatever. Good luck with that. I do everything manually even though I know a software program would be very efficient... it seems to take forever to set up the categories for everything (we have a rental and he does schedule C business stuff), so I say "ah, maybe another time." We went to a volleyball game last night and that can be so exciting! The home team and the visitors kept going back and forth at the end, our team finally won at 31 to 29 (have to win by 2 pts). Volleyball sure has changed since I played in high school... Will get out for 8-9 miles today. I'm going to run basically the same route as Thursday's early morning disaster... interested to know how later in the day makes a difference. (I did a tempo type run yesterday too, just like Wednesday's run.)
                      WRFB & PDR, on FIRE today! Great races also for Busiman and Deez. 6 miles, 65 to 70F, very humid I was thinking of Deez's post from the other day during my kind of carpy run this morning. I started out fine but had to go slower for awhile, and walk up some hills. Then I said, to heck with it, here is a nice long downgrade and I'm gonna burn the rocket fuel, so I did one mile in there at about 8:20 pace. And that pretty much knocked me out and I had to take so many walk breaks during the last 2 miles I was thinking it probably mimicked the first week of Couch to 5K program pretty accurately! So not the sproinky run I had wanted, but I am making progress recovering from that crud I had last week. Patience, patience.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

ETA - hey Amos - the Sox are only 2.5 back now (3 in the loss column) and coming on strong at the right time! GO SOX!! Big grin Who is it that said they wouldn't catch the Rays...hmmmm some old guy I think. Wink
                        Ya, and Mikey's back! Big grin That was a totally fun Friday night. Less than 4 hours to go to tonight's game. Way to go, Deez, PDR, WRFB & busiman--you were moving! 10 for me with my running buddy (she did 7 or so before I joined her, since I was being prudent today)--we ended at her car and she gave me a baggie of cranberry/white chocolate chip cookies she made for me b/c I told her last week how much I like cranberries. DH had one already and stated that running isn't the only thing she does well, so I'm looking forward to dessert tonight (if there are any left). He's back to exercising and we did 2 miles last night and 2 more today at about a 12:30 pace, although I'm wanting to try going by heart rate. Anyone have a website they recommend on that? grins, A
                        Masters 2000 miles
                        Mariposai

Spareribs, we knew you'd do greta. I always say I'm going to volunteer at a race I don't run, but haven't yet.
                          well I am looking for volunteers for this little race. Click on the autumn leaf run link (just very happy that the local newspaper decided to be one of our co-sponsors). http://www.omakchronicle.com/spt/sports.shtml No running for me yet. I am just enjoying a quiet and relaxing morning, but I wanted to say congrats to PDR on her 1st place win. Also congrats to WRFB, Busiman & Deez- Ribs, glad to see that you implemented my racing instructions very well. Congrats!!!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice races considering the weather! Beers.. a toat to you both! Awesome! Tim...Nice job on the 20! It's in the bank! 4" rain, power out for a few hours and now it's hot and sunny. What a Hanna day! My leg is definitely feeling better today. So I opted for 30 min elliptical at Tempo/VO2max effort.. AHR 167, max 175. Good workout and the leg did not complain afterwards. Progress...

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Teresadfp

One day at a time

6.2 horrid miles - 74 degrees and 90% humidity. I should have gone to the Y and done the treadmill, but I decided it would be faster to run outside. What a mistake! That's the most I've walked in a year. A gasping-for-breath, sweating-profusely run. Oh, well, fall's almost here! DS16 came in second place in a 3.0-mile XC race yesterday - 15:36 on a trail that included some twisty roots. Four of the top 10 teams in the state were there, and DS's team won the meet easily. In the season's first northeast region XC rankings, the school is listed as one of the 12 "bubble" teams that are just behind the top 10 schools. It was the only boy's team from Maine to be included in the list. Doesn't mean that much this early in the season, but it's kind of fun! Now DS has convinced his coach the team should run doubles a couple of days a week, as some of the other schools do. That means he's REALLY serious, because he hates getting up early! Thanks for listening to me brag on him! Now we'll wait for the downpour to arrive. The air feels even heavier than it did earlier. Teresa

Marathon Maniac #957

DS16 came in second place in a 3.0-mile XC race yesterday - 15:36 on a trail that included some twisty roots.
                                Yowza! And that only got him SECOND place? Wow! He's fast!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."