Masters Running

Gasparilla Half Marathon Report (Read 280 times)

Henrun

Marj and I had another fun and warm weekend in Tampa. If you've read Bob's comments you already know about our dinner and how we couldn't get together with Dive Chief and Arf. However, we did thaw out in Tampa while New England was in a deep freeze. We almost cancelled our Tampa plans since we're off this coming weekend for a week of cross country skiing in Quebec. But a reasonably priced flight helped change our minds. Saturday morning we flew down in time to hit the expo, encounter Bob as he was heading into the Convention Center and solidify our evening plans. Sunday morning we awoke in time to reach the starting line for a 6 a.m. start. The first hour was in the dark as we ran along the intercoastal shore. I started out at 11's and Marj soon moved ahead. The course was beautiful and flat. I seemed to slow down about mile 5 for no particular reason. I was feeling good but just couldn't maintain my usual pace. About mile 8 Marj spotted me as she ran on the opposite side heading toward the final stretch. I kept going at a 11-12 pace but as I hit the wind in the last couple of miles I slowed down even more. A final sprint gave me a finishing chip time of 2:30:54 (another PW). Marj finished in 2:17:50 (almost a PR). She finished 5/24 in her age division. I finshed 8/14, disappointing but having really enjoyed the race. We spent an overnight soaking in more rays and a easy flight home-back to the chill. Now, all we have to do is climatize back to the cold for our next adventure.
      Congratulations to you and Marj - you both ran fine races. You definitely shouldn't be disappointed if you enjoyed the experience! Thanks for sharing!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

nowor

Henry, Sounds like you and Marj had another wonderful get away event in IRC....plus you met Bob. WTG. Re: your speed I was in Tampa 2 weeks ago. At first I thought the flat terrain was wonderful but then it got boring. Throw in IRC on top of the flat and what motivation does a MA resident have? No ice to dodge, no hills to challenge...even the traffic stops at pedestrian lights...Glad you took it all in stride and enjoyed yourselves. Now come back from Quebec in one piece (or both of you come back in two whole pieces!) Sue
          If you had fun, and it sounds like you did, then that is all that matters in the end. Also any day at the races beats a day at the office!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Henrun

IRC?????? Confused
              Henrun and Marj, sounds like you had wonderful time meeting other RA masters and running a good race. yes, what is IRC?
              btb1490

For those of you who may not have seen the other thread about the race that Henry was talking about, here is a picture of Henry and Marj enjoy their well deserved reward after their half. Yes, they are as adorable as they look! And just as funny too! Dinner and conversation was great the night before the race, and I'm really glad I bumped into you guys both during and after the race. I'm glad you guys had a great weekend and have fun on your trip up north. Next time you are in my neck of the woods, give me a shout.
                SteveP

Thanks for the RR Henrun. It sounds sweet. If it's not fun, why bother???

SteveP

arf

MM #405

What a great pic of you two! Big grin Glad you had so much fun at the race and Way to Go Marj! So sorry we missed seeing you guys. As Divechief mentioned, I had surgery 10 days before, and realizing when I was on the plane and bleeding heavily that running the next morning would probably not be the best idea I ever had, I still had high hopes of meeting with you and having a relaxing holiday in the sun. My biggest regret is not getting together. Sad Have lots of fun cross-country skiing and I hope to see you both sometime soon. arf
                    Henrun

Arf, sorry that we couldn't connect with you and Dive. We will eventually as our running plans coincide-and they will. Hope both of you are running soon.
                      nowor

Henrun and Dromedary, IRC=ideal running conditions.... not to be confused w/ icy rainy cr@p
                        coastwalker

Hi Henry & Marj, Congratulations on another running adventure together. You two are amazing: You're all over the country, running races, meeting people, and always smiling. I'm with Sue - Tampa was probably just too flat and too warm for you to run fast. You need a more challenging course and more challenging weather to do your best. Welcome back to New England! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

A weekend in Tampa at this time of year sounds fun anyway, but add a race and a Boomer meeting - what more could you ask for?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun and Dromedary, IRC=ideal running conditions.... not to be confused w/ icy rainy cr@p
                              Thanks! I'm always learning new words here Big grin.
                                congrats, marj and henrun.
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM