Masters Running

Sleepy Sunday (Read 37 times)

C-R

Everyone must be having long runs today if I'm first to post.

Easy 5 this morning to start the day. No off to do chores.

Nice pic Ribs. That apple didn't fall far from the tree eh?

Have a great one.

Cheers

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning C-R and everyone!

My lack of fitness is showing in my slow recovery....my legs were toast this morning, just no energy at all.  Plus, the plantar fascia on my left foot feels a little "iffy" - not sore or anything, but when I run I can feel it slightly, which tells me not to push it.  So I kept it short this morning, and tomorrow will be a rest day.

3.5 miles outside in 41 degrees, followed by 25 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good not to push it, Holly. That's not an injury to test too much. Maybe a couple days off?

Beautiful day here this morning, so like C-R I got in a good 4-mile run at about an 11:00 average. Very little protesting from my left hip, so definite progress in that area. But I will definitely keep easing back into it this time. I have an annual physical tomorrow, so that gives me an excuse for taking a day off.

Now, also like C-R, off to do some chores -- mainly cleaning up the garage and rearranging some things in there, get the bikes down, etc.

We haven't had a working slide projector for years, so recently I picked up a gizmo that will let me scan slides into my PC from where I can put them together to show on our TV, etc. Talk about forgotten memories coming back. The pic below is from 1984 -- over 30 years ago -- when we were at the Tower of London on our first big vacation trip, and the last big trip we took before starting a family. See: I really did have a head of dark hair at one time! And I also remembered why my DW was such a good "catch" for me (and still is!). It's hard to realize that she is younger in this photo than our DS is now...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

mrrun

Awesome pic Roch - love the golden oldies! - and of course the young 'uns in tux and races from previous posts

holly - great run yesterday and wise move today!

Nice morning runs for C-R & Roch!

Go Aamos and other racers  and runners/walkers today!

Ran 8 this morning and felt good. Saw 3 GC yesterday and off to brunch with the 4th today, while henrun is off to meeting.  it's been a lovely w/e!

marj

King of PhotoShop

Look at that good looking old guy Roach!

And Holly, I agree with him completely this sounds like a couple of days off. I would NOT mess with any twinge in that plantar fascia.  If you get the "itis" it's forever to heal up.  Be conservative.

Well I'm so proud of that Mariposai!  Great job on your race and on getting all those volunteers. Who could say no to you and your charm?

The Saint and I got in ten on the lake today on a gorgeous morning.  Of course storms this afternoon.  They are predicted to start at exactly the time I intend to light the grill.   Spareribs

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good start to the day, Dave.

Holly, take that advice and do what you can to avoid the 'itis.'

Terrific photo of you both, Roch! I'm glad you're continuing to ease back into running, and that it is going well.

I'm glad you're having a great weekend with the GCs, Marj.

Good 10er for you and the Saint, Ribs. I'm also hoping that the rain here holds off till after I get my grilling done later today. But I guess I better find my umbrella hat...

I drove to Portsmouth (NH) early and got in 10 good RW miles before our racewalking training session this morning. I did another 2 easy miles on the track during the session. Now I'll have to see how much yard work I can get done (and that my tired legs can take) before that rain comes along.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

wildchild

Carolyn

Yay for Aamos - won her AG at Big Sur!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Way to Go aamos//////

........Nice Hair roch//////

===========

Y was closed yesterday, so I hurt all day.............an Odd Way to tell poolrunning is really helping

60-min bike ride in rain today,,,50's

=============

A REQUEST FOR A FAVOR>>>>>>>>>by tomwhite

one of my choir members

has taken up Running,

I told him to check in over here  maybe using '' T Wes'' as his handle

just

let him know I'm posting sporadically at the moment

and

give him some Good Starter Tips.

be gentle, he was a Music Major in College

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Holly S. nice to see odd race distances are not just a thing where I live!

roachrunner  it is supposed to be Throwback Thursday, not Sunday.  You have to post that picture again next week.  Sorry, but it is like a rule.

I ran the Cheshire HM today and happy to say I did quite well.  I came in at 1:35:27.  Just 27 seconds from an automatic entry into the NYC marathon.  A nice goal, but I am not planning on running it again anytime soon.  Just a goal to make it.  But, as a consolation prize I got 2nd in the 55-59 AG!  Oh it is good to be at the young end of the age group range again!  

A friend of mine was kind enough to take a picture of me with the award.

2015 Cheshire Half Marathon 2nd in the 55-59 AG.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Belated congrats to all the Boston runners and volunteers!  Wish I was either close enough or fast enough to partake in the partay.

WTG, Aamos!

I ran the first trail race of the series yesterday. ... 10.8K with some serious mud.  Made a rather fundamental mistake of not taking my third and last port-a-potty stop right before the start, so needed a bushes break near the middle of the first loop. Oops!  Might have cost me an AG placing.  Next time. ....

Changed into hiking gear after to join my girlfriends for the last half of their 20K Bruce Trail hike.  Some tough climbing left me totally bagged for the evening with my DH.  He'd spent the day fly fishing, so we both crashed out on the couch after dinner watching hockey playoffs.

Sleep in today and yard work.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Changed into hiking gear after to join my girlfriends for the last half of their 20K Bruce Trail hike.  Some tough climbing left me totally bagged for the evening with my DH.  He'd spent the day fly fishing, so we both crashed out on the couch after dinner watching hockey playoffs.

Sleep in today and yard work.

Sounds like the quintessential Canadian day.

I made it out this morning for a triple lake loop run for a total of 9.4 miles.  A beautiful day, just a little breeze and just about 50°F.  There may be hope to not suffer TOO bad on memorial day weekend.

TW--I think the only one we're tough on is Ribs.

Excellent half, TC.  and congrats on AG placement.  Of course, Amy DID win hers.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Congratulations Twocat!  Nice job.

Nice picture Roch...I agree...she is a nice catch.  Very nice job!

Congratulations to Amy, too.

I an supposed to be taking this week off but I've been doing easy 4 milers every other day.  Today it was so nice, I couldn't turn around after 2 miles so I went another one and made it 6 for the day in 44:53.  Tomorrow, I can start running some longer miles...I have a half marathon coming pretty quick.

So...I have a dilemma.  I have been putting off signing up for the National Senior Games because of my heel problems.  The deadline is May 1st.  My heel has been feeling okay for these little runs, this week, so I decided to go ahead and register.  And then I saw it will be $199!  $199 to run a 1500 meter and a 10K...that's it.  I just don't know if I want to spend that much money on this thing.  The thing is...I have adjusted many things for the year, so that I could do this.  My marathons were scheduled around this event.  I have been wanting to do a certain marathon out east for a couple of years and I didn't sign up for it, this year, because of these games.  I am skipping a 4th of July trip to my stepdaughter's cabin to participate in this event.  I don't know what it is, but I have gotten some hints that my daughter is planning something for these races.  The only reason I wanted to do these, this year, is because they are being held close to my home.  I can't imagine spending that kind of money PLUS travel expenses PLUS lodging expenses.   Is it just going to be a bunch of guys from Minnesota that I race in every other race I'm in out here?  I don't know...what do you guys think?  Have any of you ever participated in the National Senior Games?  Okay...sorry to bother you with my stupid little dilemmas...

I went to a granddaughter's basketball game, today.  She did pretty good.  She's on an elite AAU team so the other girls on her team, and the teams she plays against, are a whole lot better than she is used to.  She held her own, though....I think she had 5 or 7 points on limited playing time.

Here she is making one of 3 free throws...she was 3 for 4 from the line...

Of course, I was keeping an eye on the Wild/Blues game as well.

Okay...that's it...gotta go.  See ya!

evanflein

Congrats Twocat! Nice indeed to be in the lower end of the AG. Although it doesn't always work out well, of course. I'm also in the same AG (55-59) but that means I spend this first year chasing Jane for series points since she's 59 on May 1 (that's the age you have the whole season, even if you "age up" for individual races). I can beat her sometimes, but not often.

Sorry Mike E, not much help from me on your dilemma. Although I always handle these with "how often is this chance going to come up?" Not qualifying, of course, because you can do that pretty much anytime you want to. But the local part. That should play a big part of the decision. That is a pretty steep entry fee though, I had no idea.

Hi Heme! Nice job on your race and then hiking!

Amy continues to just impress the hell out of me. That's a tough course. And she just ran Boston last Monday! Wow....

Nice picture, Doug. Fun to look back on those photos from 30+ years ago. I found some of DH and me when we were dating. We look like kids!

Today was gorgeous in the morning, and I'd planned on getting out around noon or 1 pm. Ended up leaving around 1:30, and some dark clouds were rolling in, and the wind was picking up. Great. Well, it did work out well for the first 10 miles or so, then I turned East to start for home. Oy. That's where the wind was! Made for a few tough miles, especially the last two up the hill to home directly into the wind. Who planned this run, anyway? 18.6 miles today, brings me to 64.1 for the week. Definitely time for a cutback week.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I was just overcoming my craving for the banana lattes in the multiple vending machines found on nearly every street corner and in-between and the liquid banana gels in the almost as ubiquitous 7-11 type convenience stores usually several in the same block and even next door to one another but have succumbed to the new banana chocolate chip cookies.  However, I didn’t like the white wine potato chips and’ll stick to the seaweed ones. .

Amy - did you get to run with Dean again?

ps - especially if you have friends there, please go Comrades while you can.

As is on the Mt. Fuji t-shirt I got when hiking up with 100-year Igarashi-san and his entourage in 1985: “Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again.”. With being able moderate your marathons to whatever lingering issues are going on (and still AG 'em too), you can do the same for the 56 miles down there any time you want. Otherwise, check with holly on reluctant racing pacing. I also know someone who’s run up to 100K without that much, if any, training, . . . and walked 100 miles without any.

I saw some of Karin ’s Boston running.

Maybe you'll come over to Japan some time

if you got the new pass skipping the regular lines . . .

and bring Ultra Amy and DH too ( I’ll interpret)

but seem to have missed others. rats.

pps mike : "Enjoy yourself.  You're younger days never come again."

ppps mari - did you just run a marathon, your half marithon and something else in six days?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Greta picture Roch.

Aamos rocks!!! Sheesh. As slow as I've gotten, if I were the only person in my AG, hopefully, I'd take 3rd.

Holy Zippity TwoCat!

That's a nice chunk of discretionary income, MikeE.

They grow them goddesses tough in Alaska!

I got back from FL late Saturday afternoon. The dog went into PIA mode. When I went back out to the car for luggage, he jumped in and would not get out. I put on running duds and started the truck. He got out of the car fast. We put two miles in and he made sure I stayed close. We put another couple of miles in today.

DD#2 had a five day stint between shifts and joined us for 4 days. She brought GS#2, Jude! Our 1st saturday away, Jude was in his first 5K!

DW, DD#2 and I were registered, however, the staff had an extra race shirt for Jude.

Then it was time for post race breakfast!

SteveP