Masters Running

Saturday May 24 Runs and Giggles (Read 334 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! 9.25 easy-paced miles (ave 10:12) in 46 degrees. Running a little more miles this weekend to compensate for some overeating plans. Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good Morning! Hope your day is starting off just as you like it. Mine is. A beautiful morning, after severe storms rocked the area last night. No damage at my house, just a really great rain and light show. Other parts of the state had damaging wind, hail, and some tornadoes. The damage was minor in comparison to what it could have been if hit in a more populated area. Also not as damaging as others have had it recently. That brings me to the Memorial Day weekend...please join me in remembering the lives of others who share and have shared this wonderful planet with us. Leaving in about 30 minutes for a 5K race just a few blocks from my house. Run for the Flag, in it's 2nd year running, benefits the county veterans memorial. Should be a fun time. Plus I'll be back home before evryothrday and DW even know I'm gone. Have a great weekend and here's to great runs!
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        Thanks for the start off Holly and Evryday......... Well......I got a call from my brother who is very discouraged. His one foot has been "dropping" or dragging a lot since his congestive heart problems. They went for tests yesterday and determined that the foot is "dead". So now he has to see a surgeon who they said has a full schedule until the end of June. My brother's fear is that they will have to amputate. With a history of diabetes, this seems to be a very real possibility. Added to this problem is some internal bleeding that they now want to determine what that is about. So, I am praying and working to figure out how to best approach it. He is a retired minister, so has been on the other side of this picture many times. However, it is different when it is you personally facing such grim prospects. I have gotten some good running in over the days, for which I am thankful. I think I am going to need another good one today. Enjoy your holiday weekend. Joey
        Vista
          Vista, I am sorry to hear about your brother. Hope things get better and that his foot can be saved. Have great runs everybody. I am feeling quite a bit better, though stll a bit wiped out. Will go out for a 2 miler this afternoon to see what the body feels like before tomorrow's "little run" Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Joey - so sorry to hear about your brother. That's a lot to deal with. 6.03 easy miles this morning in bright sunshine. Enjoy your Saturday, everyone.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

...vista//......my Dad had his leg taken off about 5-years ago.... .....since then he has started Pumping Iron Religiously, walks 40-min a day, played Golf until about a year ago (he's 82 now) and ''forgets'' his cane and occassionally just walks off and leaves it..... .....not a Great Situation, but one that can be overcome, and the Quality of Life can actually improve..... email me if I can be of help to him or you.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Beautiful morning here 54F under blue sky. 5 miles easy miles with DW at 10:00 pace. Vista so sorry to hear about your brothers foot. I will be doing much praying. A close friend had a brain aneurysm burst a couple days ago. She had emergency surgery but it's too soon to know much about the damage. Also found out yesterday that my brothers wife will have her aortic value replaced next week. Tall best wishes on your "little run". Be thankful for your health and have a safe weekend.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Thanks for the thoughts and responses folks. I will certainly keep that information in mind Tom......that is GOOD to have to talk about through this stage of discouragement. He has a supportive family so I anticipate some help from them as well. Thanks. I do have your email address still, if I decide I need it. Glad to hear you are feeling better Tall. Go get it.
                  Vista
                    {{{{{{Vista's Brother}}}}}} Terence and I decided since both of our DWs are away we would do a longer training run this morning...Terence wants to run a half marathon race in the fall so we ran a half marathon training run this morning...13.1 miles in 1:47:10 for an 8:11 pace...He started fighting it just after mile 11...but he finished...he has never ran that far before...
                    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

King of PhotoShop

Best wishes to your brother, Joey. Tall, saty focused and positive. Good luck. Gordon, it appears that your friend is going to be just fine in his first half. How about that sneaky-quick Mariposai huh? I got a slow 3 in this morning, despite yesterday's day off. It's a bit warm and humid here. I got so frustrated with the way I am crawling along that I ran a marked 1/4 mile in 1:38 just to see if I still have any speed. It felt fine, but I won't do it again as there is no reason to. My foot feels just fine. Here is something I meant to share with all of you, just so you know how out of it I am. Last Sunday I was at DFW waiting for my flight to Oregon, and I found myself sitting next to a rather unusual man. Unusual in that he was very big. I noticed it right away. Nothing at all fat, but just huge in every area. When his flight was called he stood up and I could see he was a good 5 inches or so taller than I am and I am 6 feet. I couldn't stop looking at him and wondered what he did for a living. As he went to board his flight, I saw two people surreptitiously taking his picture with their cell phones, and later one of them was excitedly calling his friends. "Hey, you'll never guess who I just saw at the airport! The Undertaker! It was really him!" etc. I have no idea who the Undertaker is, but I hope he never gets mad at me. Spareribs
                        Spareribs, Not that I look at wrestling but that's what the Undertaker does. too cool Went out for 2 miles. Funny when I went out I could feel like pinpricks everywhere, particurlarly in the butt, hips and hammies/calves. After a few minutes they dissapeared and I felt fine (I think). Not sure if those twinges were signs of dehydration or still a light fever..anyway I think things are a go for tomorrow's marathon at 7:00 The temperature predicted for tomorrow has been all over the place. From low's of 46F to 55F at 6am. Hope it stays really cool, it will climb to mid 70s by 12:00 and could be humid...Could be perfect or hot. A 15NW wind is now predicted. Somewhat overcast...Sounds pretty good, better than Boston last year. Now other than a bit of shoe shopping for the girls, I will take it easy, have a nice pasta and salad dinner tonight with two glasses of Shiraz and lots and lots of rest. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Vista, I'm sorry about your brother. I truly hope things turn out well for him. Tall, glad you're feeling better. I have no doubt that whatever you got, you'll leave it all on the course. Go for it! Tomwhite...your dad's the best. Sarge, thoughts are with your friend and your bro.wife. Gordo...Terrence ran a " 13.1 mile training run" in 1:47:10 ???!!! Shocked That's, well, let's see....FAST! Train him up proper and wowza...watch out! Ribs...did I hear you right? You checked your speed? Looks like you still got it, should you ever feel the need to use it. Glad the foot is doing well. I do admire your patience and wisdom. The Undertaker...I'm clue less. Maybe a pro wrestler? 5K race for me this morning. A nice PR...23:45. Very small race, 2nd AG, 4th OA. Fun time! Good runs to all this weekend.
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                          Rindaroo

Vista - I have a couple of questions about your brother,if you don't mind.. How long has he had diabetes, and which kind? Also, is the whole foot really dead, or is it a couple of toes? You see my dad is a longterm diabetic (Type 1) as in over 40 years. 3 years ago he was told that he needed an amputation of his leg at the knee. He didn't like that diagnosis, and ended up doing hyperbaric treatments and getting a wonderful orthopedic surgeon. This surgeon believes in saving limbs to make them usable,not just cutting more than necessary, so he doesn't get hit for malpractice. In the end, he only cut toes, and they did a leg bypass. In fact, the doc tried & was successful to stay at the point where my dad wouldn't need any prosthetics. At this point, his feet are a non-issue thanks to this wonderful doctor. However, the long-term diabetes is taking its toll in other areas, but the good news is with a positive attitude & a good doc, the sky is still the limit Smile
                              Good Saturday everyone. My prayers to you and your brother Vista. Holly I might have to run a few extra tmorrow too, to make penance for the Monday eating plans. Good luck Tall. Hope you're fully recovered for the little run. Be on the lookout though, for any residual tiredness or lack of normal energy. Illness can knock you down for a while even after feeling more or less back to normal. You're been so smart Spareribs during this long recovery period of yours. I think I'd go crazy if I had a lingering injury. Really glad your feeling almost back and that your little speed-test went well. I'm starting to get antsy again. That's a good sign. 5 easy miles on the treadmill with 1 mile at MP. I have to really hold myself back to not run too hard or too long. I want to really kick in the jets. Gotta resist ... still haven't run much weekly mileage, but perhaps next week will be a 40 mile week. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Everyone, Vista:I will be praying for both you and your brother. You are right that running can help us work out some of the difficult times in life. I find it a good time to think and pray. Sarge: I will also be praying for your friend and your brother's wife. On this Memorial Day we will remember those who served our country in the military, as we should. But we sometimes forget those like you who serve in our local communities. Thank you for your service and all those who serve in law enforcement and fire departments throughout our country. Tall: Glad to hear you are feeling better. Good luck in your "little run" tomorrow. Ribs: I can't believe you saw The Undertaker! When I was in my 20's and 30's I was really into wrestling. The Undertaker was always one of my favorites. He got his name from the fact that after he would fender his opponent unconscious, he would place him in a coffin! Also when he entered the ring, bells would toll. I sometimes see wrestling on TV, when I am flipping the channels and I will see The Undertaker still wrestling. He must be 45-50 yrs old. Long run for me today. 10 miles easy in 1:44:21 (10:27/mile pace). Have a great weekend All. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano