Masters Running

Fri Dec 12 Runs and Chat (Read 759 times)

Like I posted over at the Boomer thread, I like the clean, simple look of this site. I know I can’t keep up with several forums, and so by January 1st, I feel I must choose one.
    Holly girl, Be gentle with yourself. Don't force yourself to choose before you are ready. Hey, I figured out DaveinAA's new handle! It refers to Quentin Cassidy, the protagonist of John L. Parker's famous running novel, Once a Runner. This book was published back in the 1970s. Miraculously, a sequel has just come out! Rush out and buy it, everyone. I will. Dark Horse
    I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

Head Procrastinator

Hi y'all. I want to run later but don't know if that's going to happen. Manager said he foresees letting me out early though so that's a plus. It is a nice site, I had signed up months ago to look at the log , tried it and forgot about it. So many sites, so little time.
      ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
      sluggo

John

Maybe I should try participating with this group - at least I am qualified by age. Haven't been running much in the last few weeks. Snow north of Boston has been piling up, street are slick and narrow and visibility, after dark, is poor. Good? news? Commuter rail lines into Boston from the north shore are broken today, so I am home. Maybe I will get out for 6 mi while it is light out. The stationary bike in the basement is NOT satisfying. Hey - one more thing - maybe off topic - if you are near Salem MA, my running club is hosting our first ever Frosty 4 Miler on New Year's Day morning. Come and run it - a great way to start the year. Later John (maybe I need a sig line...)

John
        www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

GreenMan

Hey - one more thing - maybe off topic - if you are near Salem MA, my running club is hosting our first ever Frosty 4 Miler on New Year's Day morning. Come and run it - a great way to start the year. Later John (maybe I need a sig line...)
          welcome John, hardly anything is off topic here. Certainly not racing Big grin Anybody looked around for an "intrepid racer" type group or does someone want to start one? jjj
          Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
          CassadAAmius

Hey, I figured out DaveinAA's new handle! It refers to Quentin Cassidy, the protagonist of John L. Parker's famous running novel, Once a Runner. This book was published back in the 1970s. Miraculously, a sequel has just come out! Rush out and buy it, everyone. I will.
            You are correct Sir. IMO, Once A Runner is the best piece of running fiction ever written. It was published by a very small publisher and is now out of print, but thanks to the sequel it has become a very hot item, with used copies going for several hundred dollars. Well, my copy is staying put within easy reach on my nightstand. It has inspired me before races and tough workouts many times. Cassidy is a collegiate runner striving to become an elite miler. A minor sidelight in the book is the silly foreign-sounding nicknames and alter-egos he and teammates have given each other. His is "Quentus Cassadamius, the famous Greek miler." I added the extra A in homage to my old handle.
              I just sent the following comment to the site administrators: Nice site. I am moving here from the old coolrunning.com Boomers & Beyond group, and encouraging others to do the same. Two items of constructive criticism: 1. When you create a thread or a post, the window is too small vertically. This forces you to scroll up and down quite a bit if you want to review or edit what you wrote before posting. 2. When you are reading the posts and get to the bottom of the page, there should be a link back up to the list of discussion threads, as there is at the top of the page. As it is now, you have to scroll back up to the top of the page, then click on the link. You might argue, "You could just hit the BACK button." Yes, but suppose you are reading a thread which has more than one page? Hitting the BACK button will get you back to the previous page of the thread, not up to the list of discussion threads which is where you want to go. I think both of these are easy fixes. Thanks for listening. Smile Dark Horse
              I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
              PJH

Hi - first time posting here. This is an amazingly "clean" site ...easy to read, nice set up, etc. Like others, currently posting all over the place. Interested in a 50+ thread if one evolves here. Can't post everywhere so still looking for a home. I'll be running today, but only to the shopping malls. PJ
                Tramps

Hey, I figured out DaveinAA's new handle! It refers to Quentin Cassidy, the protagonist of John L. Parker's famous running novel, Once a Runner.
                  HA! I just assumed it was one of those high-falutin' Latin references that flew right over my head again. Roll eyes (No, DH. Resist the urge to respond in Latin.)

Be safe. Be kind.

spacityrunner

What's wrong with the foot? Let us know how the MRI went.
                    The foot suffers from Plantar Fascitis and Achilles Tendonitis. The pain became to great to finish a HM June 17th and have not been able to run since. Have treated with rest/pt/drugs....still not able to do anyting but a slow walk, and that is with the help of the drugs. So...doc says, lets take a look before we try anything else. I go to the docs on the 26th.... Thanks for asking

Trails Rock!

oh dear, PF & AT strikes again... I was just thinking that I should look up "Cassadamius" today, but Dark Horse did my work for me! Yes Rest day for me.

Dog-Love

I am planning a 4.2 mile trail run which brings my total mileage this year to exactly....1000 miles.
                        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                          Well, I'm in (I think). No running to report today, but it's really getting warm and sunny outside (38F). Today's high is supposed to be tomorrow's low, so it looks good for some sort of early AM run. Then it's off to complete the purchase of DS's new car. By the way Dave, I think it was Quintus (not Quentus). Quintus is an old Roman name usually given to a fifth son. This looks more like the old place than either Active or Kick! Smile

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

dg.

hi everybody. just thought I'd take a look around. I went from a 9 to a 3. does that mean I got younger? congratulations crabby!
                              ya dang rebels. there's a perfectly good daily thread over in the running community... Evil grin 14.5 ez 8:21 pace. ha, what a lie. it was a slog. two more slogs left in the last slogly torture week. why do we do this wa5yom? it was raining, hardly anyone out. just a few scantily dressed college-aged runners. happens every xmas break, those fast athletes from michigan visit their family in tucson and dress like it's the middle of summer while they burn up the running routes in tucson. i'm envious, but it is inspiring. edited: is it just my crazed brain, or is everyone sick? sick kid, sick wife, half of my colleagues at work are sick. yup, this would not be a good time to get sick. washing my hands 5 times a day, or more, disinfecting my keyboard, phone, etc. gargling three times a day. nope, this would not be a good time to get sick.
                              Dave59

ya dang rebels. there's a perfectly good daily thread over in the running community... Evil grin
                                Where is that?