Masters Running

Whensday, 3.12.14 (Read 48 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

The problem for me, and why I am confused by all of this is that there are so many variables and I can't figure out which is the contributor, or if it's all of them.  I would welcome your own opinions.  Example of what I am feeling.  I start running and feel okay, but after two miles or so, I feel like late stages of a marathon, just a general feeling of "this is hard to do." Not a high heart rate, and no pain, just feels like work.

Here is the present situation.  I am 67, will be 68 in August. Of course you all know I have heart disease and I am getting slower each year, dramatically.

On February 23 I ran the Cowtown Ultra and I sense I am still fatigued from it.  I recall that last year when I did it, I was even tired heading into Boston, two months later, so maybe it's that. I have no idea why that would be however. I have no soreness or muscular aches and pains and I faithfully do my stretching and core work.  Yesterday I did a 2 minute wall sit, my longest ever, and I do 50 pushups and at least a minute plank daily too, among other exercises.

Of course the cancer is on my mind and I wonder if it's at all possible that's contributing.  Or maybe it's the worrying about the cancer as I have to admit it's on my mind a lot.

I'm also on the VB6 diet, so I eat no meat for breakfast or lunch, do eat meat for dinner, not red meat, usually fish or some chicken.  According to my calculations I'm getting enough protein and certainly enough calories.

I'm interested in hearing from those of you who have gone through this before and if you have any insights.  My cancer surgery is scheduled for April 29th by the way.  Thank you.  Spareribs

Not having any medical issues that I’m aware of affecting my alleged running  “performances” for the past 38 years, and not ever training to run faster than I can anyway, I attribute my much worse deteriorating results solely to the aging process. <<<(70/70)>>>>
    Doesn’t mean that I don’t share your same feelings of frustration about what I used to consider to be the pathetically slow older runners I now am.  Fortunately, TW’s advice and inspiration has kept me going for the last five years. 
    However, everyone is different. 
    Some run well into their 80's. 
    I believe you will be one of them too after April. 
    Good luck.

In the meantime, I'll give TS a kick for the old days if he'll give me one.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

All of you who responded made some great points and thanks to all of you. Means a lot to me to get some feedback.   Tselbs and Tet are important to me and I look up to them, as they are also older runners but seem so at peace with where they are in the sport.  I work myself over too much I think.

I found a study searching the web that addresses ultra recovery and I was surprised to see that some aspects of muscle recovery take months, which I didn't know. I thought once you can run again with no soreness, that's it. You're recovered.

Welcome Jo, and I promise not every day here on this forum will be about me being a downer!

Tammy, no surprise about David's leadership role and of course he will do it well. But what is important is what it will teach him and how it will prepare him for future, larger leadership roles. These are the kinds of good news posts I love to read.

Enke, yes I do also take BP med, lisinopril, just ten mg and my BP is way down. I'm very pleased with where I am with the BP.  Also to answer your question yesterday, wine has a very positive effect on HDL, two glasses a day is considered upper limit.  I'm also great with my two beers but I also confess that if I take too long cooking the dinner there is sometimes a sneaky third one. I don't drink liquor of any kind any more.  Spareribs

Henrun

There's been much discussion today about the aging runner. In less than one month I'll be 80 and would like to add my two cents worth. I have been running for over 40 years and love to run and hope to do so as long as I am able to. When I began my running career in my early 40's I ran 6.5 mph in races. My best 10k's were sub 40's and my pr in marathons was 3:07. I've had my share of injuries over the years, especially over the past year with back  and knee problems (due to osteoarthritis- that's what happens with aging to many of us). My speed has markedly diminished (little old ladies in their walkers have passed me). I no longer can run distances without hurting and I can no longer run every day ( but I can walk on my off days and stretch). I haven't raced for almost a year but when I enter my new age group I will be running the BAA  5K  ( 2 days before Boston) with 10,000 of my nearest and dearest. I discovered that there will be only 3 of us in the 80+ group. So perhaps I won't finish last. But I can't overemphasize my passion for running and the joy of being able to do so and my acceptance (begrudgingly at times) of my limitations.

New skirt in town

Ribs, I wish I had more answers, but the collective wisdom here seems to have come up with some good ideas.  I didn't know of the cancer, so that of course worries me!  I think you are too hard on yourself, and I believe in the necessity of longer recovery periods. After injuring myself trying to run a fast half marathon 6 weeks after Boston for the past THREE years, I've come to the realization that I can no longer do this to myself.  I end up on the injured list for the next 3 months, ruining my Fall racing plans.  This year, I'll be strolling through that lovely half marathon, with no expectations of a PR.  I'll save the hard training for much longer after Boston.

6.6 easy miles this morning. That is all.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

New skirt in town

Oh!  I forgot!

Today, I had the chance to meet Lee Ann Yanni, one of the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing. She lost a big chunk of her leg, and we are treating her at our practice in our Boston Marathon Project Heal program, where we are treating bombing victims for free, using laser technologies for wound healing derived from the Wounded Warrior project. Anyway, she has been public about working with us, so there is no HIPAA violation here.

She had been training to run the Chicago Marathon last year, when she was injured in the bombing. She ended up running it last fall in a run/walk program. What an inspiration! And it turns out she is running Boston this year! She struggling with the grueling training...she's never really had the chance to do a full 16-18 week training program...so we had a nice talk. I told her that I'm a coach for the Melanoma Foundation team, and that she could get in touch with me any time with any questions. She's also struggling because the Boston Marathon publicity is really ramping up, and she is one of the high profile bombing victims. It's hard to juggle the demands of training and work and the media.

Anyway, she told me that she had looked into running Boston with the Melanoma Foundation last year. Then the bombs hit, and all of her plans went astray. Apparently, her father had died of melanoma. She told me that if her run this year goes well, she may return and run with us next year! What an inspiration. Here's a video that tells her story. http://vimeo.com/76848557 At about 1:30, you can see her laser treatment in our practice. And the video references her father, as well. So, the next time I feel lousy on a training run, I'll have to remember what Lee Ann has gone through.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

King of PhotoShop

Thank you Henry.  Thank you Robin.

Now Henry, let me share a story about you. And the reason is that newbies have no idea who you are, but I loved your post above. To paraphrase tomwhite, allow me to digress:

Many of you here are newbies here on this site, frankly.  You haven't been with us since the early days of the running forums.  I have known several of the people in this forum for many years. Henry and Marj have been guests in my house, for example, and I know tselbs' brother Dave.  Aamos is a longtime friend, Holly, Erika, Norm, Robin, Mariposai, Breger, Jay, Ilene, Opie, Starr et al. I could go on and on with others who no longer post here. Forgive me if I left you out. And others I have never met, although I feel like you are siblings (or grandkids): Tammy, Tet, Dive and the rest of that west coast crowd.

So here is my Henry story and I smile every time I think of it.  One day he posts that he took a long bike ride (he lives in Boston) in the dead of winter, so he rides the bike over a small footbridge, but he slides on the ice, and he and the bike fall from the bridge, down into the freezing water of the creek below.

Gets up, shakes it off and continues his ride. I recall his post was no more than a short paragraph.  No call for sympathy, no whining, just fell off a bridge into the water and kept going. Ho hum.

From that day on I knew Henry was a pretty cool guy.  Spareribs

BTY

Gets up, shakes it off and continues his ride. I recall his post was no more than a short paragraph.  No call for sympathy, no whining, just fell off a bridge into the water and kept going. Ho hum.

I, for one, would have pedaled home trying to think of a new handle.

New skirt in town

I LOVE that story! And I love Ribs and Henry and I don't care who knows it!

--RT

SteveP

Sorry for the brevity. Ribs, how is your iron? Talk with a pro about depression associated with your cancer. You a very loved here.

SteveP

mrrun

So here is my Henry story and I smile every time I think of it.  One day he posts that he took a long bike ride (he lives in Boston) in the dead of winter, so he rides the bike over a small footbridge, but he slides on the ice, and he and the bike fall from the bridge, down into the freezing water of the creek below.

Ribs - great story, however, he was really cross-country skiing, not biking

and if you love henry, get in line please

marj

Sayhey! MM#130

Ribs, I could say a lot about cancer.  I've been thinking all day and I have one thing.  I used to run at lunch at work.  One day, just before I was diagnosed, one of my colleagues asked me if I was feeling ok.  I told him sure and asked why.  He replied that the cadence of my stride seemed slower, and that it had been that way for a while.  (This was before I had a garmin or cared about time; I just ran.)  In addition to being a very thoughtful lawyer with many talents, my colleague Craig was blind.  He often relied upon his hearing for cues in his environment.  It was quite some time before I remembered this, but I don't think I will forget it.  I really hadn't felt tired that I could remember and   I certainly was not expecting to hear I had cancer.  And yet, it seems that my body was giving out signs that an astute listener could read.

And on another note, love that about Henry.  And he is modest about his achievements, folks.

G'night.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Welcome Jo!!

Ribs - great Henry story!!  I personally think it is probably the combination of everything that is making you feel so tired.  You probably needed more true recovery after that Ultra and your body is going thru a lot right now.  You are amazing and need to be a little easier on yourself - we want you here forever!!

Henry - love your outlook on life and running --- you truly are our role model!!

Marj -- I am DEFINITELY in the I love Henry line, but we know you get first dibbs!!

Robin - great story on Lee Ann - truly someone to admire!!

I had 2 days off from running because of my back to back 12 hour day shifts so I was more than ready for track tonight!!  Coach had a tough workout lined up and wanted us to get it down before the downpours!!  Fortunately our speed work was done in a light drizzle, but a friend and I did a 3 mile cool down and the rain picked up as we continued - felt so good tho!!  It was one of those nights when I felt like I could just keep on running and running.

Workout was warm-up (1.1 miles for me), drills, then 8 x 400m at VO2 max, 200m shuffle recovery, 200m at VO2 max, then 2 min standing recovery!!   I was very pleased with my consistency tonight - ran the 400's between 1:41-1:45 and the hard 200's between 52-54 seconds!!

Happy Wednesday my friends and may you all feel at peace with where you are at in life!!

denise

I just love today's daily thread.

wildchild

Carolyn

Me too - guess I'd better get in line! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

I LOVE that story! And I love Ribs and Henry and I don't care who knows it!

--RT

Well, if you love Ribs, Henry and Tetsujin, ...

go ahead and get in line!!!

One hour of winter wellness tonight and I am ready to roar!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard