Masters Running

Good Morning Boomers - It's Friday Oct. 17th and the Red Sox are still alive! (Read 483 times)

OK so I'm up pretty much every weekday morning at or about 4:15 so I figured I would jump start the daily this morning with a little shout out to Red Sox Nation and anyone else that wanted to read etc. GO SOX! Big grin OK back to running, I know I might be fined but what the heck here's my run from last evening...it was pouring cats and dogs on my way home and I had promised to take my wife out to dinner and then I had my Thursday night poker game so I figured that it would be best (tough choice of words there) to drop by the gymn and get my run in on the treadmill....YUK! 9.01 miles on the treadmill - 1:04:54 (7:13) Goal - 1 mile warmup - 6 @ about 7:15 pace - 1 mile sub 7:00 - 1 mile cooldown 7:54 - 7:10 - 7:11 - 7:11 - 7:10 - 7:11 - 7:11 - 6:30 - 7:26 Wow this was a great workout - the 7:10 - 7:11 pace was as close as I could get to a 7:15 on the treadmill and that 6:30 eighth mile on very tired legs felt great...after! Damn I still can hardly believe the Sox came back last night! WOO HOO...it wasn't a dream was it Amos? Wink

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Speedy TM run for you, Mainerunnah! No run for me today – light x-training instead: incline dumbbell presses, bent rows, shoulder presses, dead lifts, glute raises, leg lifts w/weights face-up and face-down, various crunches and oblique work. Lots of big races coming up this weekend – good luck, racers!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!! Great job getting that run in on the treadmill mainerunnah! Thanks for starting us off today too .... even though it was baseball related! Tongue Nice crosstraining to you Holly! Just reading and responding again today - oy! Now I know what they mean about taper Madness! Thanks to ALL of you that have responded to the thread that our Lovely Mariposia started for my first Marathon. I'm absorbing it all and I will be printing it at the end of today to take with me. You all are just the BEST and it is just overwhelming to feel the love and thoughtfulness of this crazy/whacky/goofy group! Each and every one of you will be with me Sunday. Just reading and responding again today - oy! Now I know what they mean about taper Madness!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Happy TGIF Smile Nice run there Bob....boy, you sure are doing a lot of speed work. No fines given the conditions. Morning Holly, hope you have a nice rest day from running...you are doing so well now Smile Hang in there Mary, your almost at the start line...I am soooo excited for you, and you are going to do great. One of the tips I thought was cool, was cutting slits in the throw away top so you can rip it off instead of trying to pull it over the head....I will do that if needed. 4 very easy recovery miles last night prepping myself for my LAST 20 plus miler Sat with 1/2 at MP...which I am somewhat dreading I woke up this morning and did this -" incline dumbbell presses, bent rows, shoulder presses, dead lifts, glute raises, leg lifts w/weights face-up and face-down, various crunches and oblique work". Whew, what a workout Big grin OK, Carolyn and Erika are officially in charge of finding me a woman Wink...RE: last nights posts on the daily....and there is a hefty reward Cool Have a GREAT DAY everyone, Tim PS: Here is something "coach" sent me that may better explain my behavior as of late Roll eyes "You are starting already with taper or pre-taper madness. It's a disease. I am not really paying attention to you. Run as you wish until this weekend, and then we're going to start easing off. Your aberrant behavior is quite normal" Pretty cool info....I think he is calling me a "nut job" in a nice way Big grin

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good morning! After a long tiring day, I fell asleep with Sox behind like 7-0. Boy was I surprised this morning! Magical. Crazy one... taper is a strange time. You might even get weird pains here and there... normal! Hopeful... cool temps are good! REST day today and real cool temps heading in for the weekend! Ahhh 18 hrs of walking the past 2 days around our foam factory floor has sure helped my recovering soleus! Good luck racers this weekend.. lots of IRC

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mary and Tim, No one ever thinks Taper Madness is real. Until THEY get to to experience it. Then they know. "Am I running enough? Am I running too much? What do I wear to the expo? How many GUs, E-caps, Gels, Fig Newtons, Crunch Bars, etc. can I squeeze into the one pocket on my running shorts? Agghhhhhhhh!!!!!! This Too Shall Pass! I'm declaring today a holiday. I'm declaring this the official end of my Summer. The temp this morning was 70F degrees! Woohoo! How pleasant that felt. I thought I could run forever. 9 miles altogether at MP, with 6 miles in the middle at Mid-Tempo pace (8:05). Hmmm. Will the Boss let me take off for my Holiday? Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Rest day today after yesterday's speed workout which was 3 minutes ez, followed by 2 minutes at 10k pace then 1 minute at 5k pace with no rest break X 7 times It was great running with the group I train. Very supportive. Tomorrow I am running my least favorite race which is the 10k distance. That to me is so hard because it's really 2 5k's scrunched together...so the pain just mounts till the end. It's the Run with the Champions 10K so I get to run with Simon Bairu and Trevor Milne our Canadian 10K champiion...I should be way back but it should be inspiring running with Canada's fastest men and women. Have a great Friday. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Good luck with your marathon Mary! You'll do fine. It's still summer here this morning ... sticky& humid with mid-60's temp. I'm cutting my runs down for my final week of taper. 7.42 miles of hills @ 8:56 pace in a new pair of Saucony Hurricane X's. I wanted to try them out today before the marathon. I just didn't feel right stopping at 7.4 miles today but I'm going to follow the taper rules. Smile Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

lamerunner

Good morning. Easy 5 miles in cool clear weather. Legs still dead, sciatic issue still there but improving a little. Last weekend I thougth I was recovering from the marathon; I ran Friday evening, biked Satruday, hiked Sunday and then ran 10 on Monday and felt ok throughout. Yesterday and today, not so much. Legs feel like lead. .. Good luck to all running races this weekend!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

When I got into work this morning there were 6 white roses on my desk from my co-worker - wishing me luck. Yesterday my sister sent me a shirt that has in script on the front "breath" and on the bottom of each sleeve - one says "inhale" and the other says "exhale". Just perfect ..... I'm not getting much work done ...... Tim - that sweatshirt advise was great! I did buy a zip up one though for easy stripping. I just read the end of last nights thread - you are so cute!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hi, everyone! Martha and I ran 5.1 wonderful miles in glorious weather through Portland this morning. 44 degrees, bright sun, radiant foliage. Tight calves are my only complaint, so I'm happy! Martha's hip is still bothering her from the instant she starts running, so she's going to call her doctor today. I can't lose my RP!!! Shocked Going up to our cabin this weekend, so I have to MAKE myself run on the logging roads. I always wimp out. Maybe I'll psych myself up by saying I'll just go for a walk, and then "jog" a little. It's supposed to be a beautiful weekend in the northeast, so I hope everyone enjoys it. Go, Red Sox!!!
                          4 miles with T this morning...8:23 pace...then a nice 1 mile walk afterwards Go Mary Go You belong with the big dogs Tall...
                          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                          DickyG

NASA engineers say they know how to fix the broken Hubble Space Telescope: They have to wake up computer parts that have been sleeping in space for more than 18 years. Key to the repair is activating a backup data-handling system that hasn't been turned on since the telescope launched in 1990. Art Whipple, manager of the Hubble systems management office, said he's confident the backup system will work but says that he recently received a digitally generated message from the backup computer system saying "we'll get back to work as soon as "Perry Mason" is over. NoNo:
                            Sounds like fireman in Alaska sure has its perks!
                            Man, there's a great punch line in there somewhere...just can't think of it. Erika:
                            5.5 miles at 15F, definitely need better gloves! My hands are just now able to type...
                            15?? 15?? Do you realize that's 70 degrees colder than our high yesterday! 15? You got guts, girl. Maine: You do 9 fast miles on the Dreadmill...PBJ does 12...how do you guys do it? I can run maybe 3 before I take a wrong step & go flying off into space. Timbo: Coach is not calling you a nut job...he is just stating the obvious: Aberrant behavior on this list is normal. I'll try to get out for a few miles this afternoon...was at work at 4:30...due to the economic crisis, our company is absolutely swamped with work...I want to retire in the worst way. It's raining hard...I'm guessing that NASCAR qualifying will be rained out...but it's supposed to be sunny and cool for the Sat. & Sun. races...highs in mid-60's...perfect. I'll be on TV Sat. & Sun....OK, I'll just be in the stands but I'll still be on TV. DickyG
                              Packet pickup today for the Indianapolis HM tomorrow. No running today (duh!) but I had a couple of absolutely crappy short runs in the past few days. Yeppers, sounds like I've got it fine tuned... Shocked Race report tomorrow as soon as they fish me out of the gutter at mile 8. Big grin Good runs all! TC BTW, I'm pulling hard for the Phillies and TB so the Sox are a shoe-in to repeat! Clowning around

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Mariposai

Go Mary go!!!!!!!!!! Have fun girl. You deserve it. Timbo, lucky guy to have Erika and Carolyn as leaders of the search committee Big grin Rest day for me

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard