Masters Running

Stormy Sunday........ (Read 35 times)

...Great Racing dave///......hope you stayed awake during the AwardsCeremony........

=========

storms moving in today,,,,,,,,,,just beat the raindrops,,

,,,,7-gears up, 7-gears down.........

60-min bike ride

.......good running guys.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

C-R

Morning TW. Nice ride.

Well done Dave!

Got 7 this morning on some really tired legs. Mostly though my feet were sore from being on the fields all afternoon. Time to mow the lawn and get ready for more reffing this afternoon.

Have a great Sunday everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

King of PhotoShop

Wow Karin. That's some long run!

Wake up Dave.  You ran well too.

As TW says, it's storming here. Up at 5:15 and all set to go to the Lake and run long, but T-storms scared us off. So we decided to go to the local park where we always run, find a lull in the storm and just do a short recovery run.  So we get 3 in during a drizzle and very little lightning, and as soon as we finished the skies opened up and it's been violent rain and lightning ever since. Lucy is scared to death.  So glad we sneaked in a few miles. I hate putting up a zero.

I think I'll go to the library today and get some books.  Just finishing "The Warden" by Anthony Trollope. Love that guy.  Spareribs

SteveP

Ribs, I tell our dog that it's flatulent angels.

SteveP

Dave59

I was goaded into switching from the 10k to the half marathon last night but despite how sore I am today I am glad I did.  It was a much more memorable run going 13 in the dark that killing myself going as hard as possible in a 10k.

It was an out and back on a rail trail so the Garmin map is basically a straight line. My current "not too hard", "not too easy" pace is around 9:45.  So I was going to run that and see how far I got until I got tired or finished.  Fortunately I finished first.  

It was fun seeing all the various lights, glow sticks, and reflective material.  Especially near the turnaround where you could see people coming toward you.

It was 68° and pretty humid.  My skin was all wrinkled like I soaked in the tub for 2 hours, but it didn't bother me much.  My legs got tired in the last few miles, but my energy stayed pretty good. 

2:08:43 is my 7th fastest of my 14 half marathons.  It is 3 minutes faster than Tallahassee in February and 9 minutes faster than Buffalo in May.  I think I have a shot at 2 hours again someday if I keep gradually improving.

I haven't added up my splits, but I am pretty sure the 2nd half was faster. I stopped to pee during mile 8 or it would have been slightly better.
            9:29. 9:47, 9:55, 10:11, 10:11, 10:10, 10:00, 10:18, 9:38, 9:45, 9:41, 9:49:9:20, 0:30

8 of 12 in my age group, 124 of 197 overall.  A half marathon is my ultra.  It's pretty much my limit on how far I ever want to go. 

The Garmin was 13.05, but I am pretty sure the course was accurate and the Garmin was off.

Lots of bugs on the trail.  I swallowed at least 2 and took 1 in the eye.  Lots of fireflies were out. 

A fun run.

Rest day today ....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Sunny sunrise swim in preparation for this year’s annual triathlon in two weeks.
              I wonder if I can talk dave into trying a triathlon too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

Fun reading about Dave’s race decision yesterday.  Nice job!

Mike—that was a brutal schedule yesterday.

Nice racing for Ribs and the Saint!

Deez—congrats on 1st AG!

Wow, CNY!  That’s a big work change for you; congratulations.  (Amazing running, too!)

Carolyn—nice 30-miler!

I had a 10-mile race today that I usually do each year. First race since February, I think.  This race is almost always hot and humid and this course is deceptively tough.  There are no huge hills but nothing is flat.  The whole route is up and down, with the biggest hills coming in miles 7 and 8 when you’re starting to feel it.  Anyhow, I wanted to do 10 MP miles at about 8:00 pace and my final time was 1:19:51…8:00 pace!  It wasn’t pretty but I’ll take it for now.  Hard to imagine doing 26 at this pace, though.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

Sunny sunrise swim in preparation for this year’s annual triathlon in two weeks.

Highly doubtful.  My bike is only for trips to the corner store for a Reese's Cup.  And water is only for floating on in boats or tubes.

Seems silly to talk about being wiped out by a 13 mile run when so many of you do that for breakfast, but I am zapped and my calfs are taking turns cramping up.

Tomwhite, I just want to say that your posts always make me smile. You have a way with words,,,,,,, and punctuation.

Holly – hope you have fun at the boat races.

Jlynne – Congrats on 2nd in AG on Friday night and knowing when to call it quits on the beers. Did you run with your co-workers? It sounds like a lovely evening with music and all.

Deez – you sure rocked that race, girl! What did you get for 1st AG winner?  I’d join your team in a heartbeat but have my class reunion that day. Sept 13th, right?

Ribs – Louise is running so well right now. I wish I had someone to push me to run faster. You two are a great team. Are you neglected the other lady in your life though? I haven’t heard about Lucy in a while.  Your library is open on Sunday?

CNY – Wow, what a run you had! I think you’re ready for the 50 miler. Here’s to you and your new enterprise also.

Wildchild – I love to see your graphs, I have no idea how to do that. I only gain 33 feet in my run around the lake, ha!

Stumpy – I shopped for new shoes yesterday and they didn’t have my color either so left without them.

Dave – greta race in the half, I thought it was a 10K

SteveP – you crack me up too!

CR – good running after all that reffing those soccer games.

Tramps – great racing after quite a long time. What’s up next for you?

Tet – I gave up running at night when I gave up drinking,,,,,, it just doesn’t seem like such a good idea anymore.  Swimming in our lake isn’t gonna happen either since we have this algae bloom that creeps me out.  How come you scared me out of trying that tri this summer, huh?  Good luck training for your tri.

After shopping all day yesterday I checked the weather forecast for today and decided to get up at 5 to run my 10 mile long run before worship team practice at 8am. Even though it was 70° with 88% humidity it was actually quite pleasant.  I think I was half asleep though as I didn’t even notice the small hills that normally get me winded. I went oh-so-slow speed and stopped at my house for a sip of water. I tried to get a photo of the gorgeous sunrise from the deck, but we live on the wrong side of the lake for that now.  Then when I walked past my laptop before going out for the last 5 miles my Garmin connected to it and transferred the data.  I didn’t know it would set everything back to zero like that.  So, 1st half at 13:38, 2nd half at 13:09. Last week I did 8 at 12:32 so am trying to figure out what my half race pace should be.  I think I will switch to morning running this week since I have the 7:30-4:30 shift this week.

I wonder how well smoking Aamos did today, and Erika too.  I’ll bet they get some hardware.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Nice pace Tramps---spot on! And it never seems like you’ll hold pace for the longer race and then it comes together (many of the times anyway)

Hope the storms “behave” TW

Wildchild---I am guessing you’ll be just fine and in fact more than fine at VT50. The elevation profile will look flat compared to what you train on and the course is far less technical. There are some climbs, but it’s hill climbing and not mountain climbing! MikeE, somehow I think you are quite prepared and will be more so come September. You are an incredibly strong runner and as long as you pace yourself, you’ll be fine too---probably win your age group. Yeesh!

Tet, the running Rusies (love that!) are in Europe now for some racing including the Ultra Trail Mont Blanc in Switzerland for Mr. R. They will both be at VT50 and have their overall win titles to defend!  Mr. R won the VT100 in July and broke the course record too. Mrs. R was third woman and will be next year’s RD. The VT50 and VT100 share some of the same course sections---wide dirt roads for the most part and remember that there’s a mountain bike race going concurrently with the 50k and 50 miler. I’d love to join the Rusies in the PNW or just get there myself! I need to land a client there and then I’d come out lots. I am guessing I’ll be learning the routes and trails in MO for the next few years…Maybe if the Kiddo heads west for grad. school?

Go Dave! Awesome running and in the dark. You are brave and awesome!

SteveP, I laughed so hard at the manicure comment. Indeed! And the angels comment today was good for a prolonged chuckle too.  :-)

I am in CoMo now as it’s called by some and reunited with my guys.  The kiddo and I ran four miles together near the hotel and had a great chat. My legs are fatigued from yesterday’s loopy fun, but all else feels fine and even great.

Great summary Starr…Thanks…I need that as I am far behind. And I too bet the speedy Amy and Erika snagged some hardware. ZOOM!

....that MindControl Class is paying for itself......

VERY solid splits dave//////

............good to see Starr posting again

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

CNYrunner congratulations and best wishes as the firm's new owner!  One day I plan to quiz you on how your perspective on life changed going from employee to owner.  So take notes!

Dave59 we still have a spot on the relay team!  Congratulations on finishing and finishing "first," I never heard the word first put quite that way so that it is a double entendre of sorts.

Yesterday, after the wacky distance race of 8.43 miles my DW and I spent the day not doing too much.  Then in the evening it was off to a wedding party.  It was a long drive there and back is all I can say.  Unfortunately, my back, legs, knees, hamstrings and ankles were all killing me from sitting so long in a driving position.  My DW this morning reminded me that the doctor that once diagnosed me with spinal stenosis and cured me of it, also warned me it would likely flare up again periodically.  The symptoms are the same so plan A is to imbibe ibuprofen as often as the label allows and see if that does not squash it.  That and today I decided being a total couch potato would do no harm.  So no gym, no elliptical, no nothing.  I must admit I do feel somewhat better for having done that.  Drugs?  Couch potato? Both together?  Not sure.  But I will get a hint tomorrow when I try out the elliptical while I continue on the ibuprofen regime.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Hmmm...a couple ibuprofen sounds good right now.  I hope you feel better, Twocat.

Karin--I forgot to congratulate you on you business venture.  I am always impressed by people who have the brains...and the guts to do something like that.

Nice race Tramps!

I went to the nature center for another long run today.  I was joined by the cross country assistant coach's wife...who is a very good runner.  I was only expecting her to do a couple loops with me...no...she stayed and pushed me for the whole 3.5 hours.  She rested half way, while I got in another 4 mile loop in, then she joined me to help get in 24 miles.  Two day total: 50.3 miles in 7:30:07.  See why a couple ibuprofen sound good?

Okay--I gotta go...I'm grilling burgers.  See ya!

C-R

Karin - forgot to congratulate you on your business purchase. If you do that the way you run and race, it will be an amazing success.

Man my feet are tired. 17 miles and 7 High School soccer matches this weekend makes for one tired dude. Now to relax with some taped English Premier League matches on t.v.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I went to the nature center for another long run today.  I was joined by the cross country assistant coach's wife...who is a very good runner.  I was only expecting her to do a couple loops with me...no...she stayed and pushed me for the whole 3.5 hours.  She rested half way, while I got in another 4 mile loop in, then she joined me to help get in 24 miles.  Two day total: 50.3 miles in 7:30:07.  See why a couple ibuprofen sound good?

Okay--I gotta go...I'm grilling burgers.  See ya!

Yikes, MikeE, who wrote this training plan? I am guessing you did. You'll be ready for VT.  I bet you need a nap, I know I sure do. I am going to make a pan of granola bars first then get my knitting out and watch Mad Men on Netflix. If I sleep now I won't sleep at all tonight.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich