Masters Running

50th Atlantic City Half Marathon (Read 257 times)

Renee the dog

Short version: 6 out of 54 in age group, 150 out of 426 overall. PR by approximately 30 minutes (give or take a few seconds – haven’t done the exact math yet). Kept control of myself and ran according to plan. Defied McMillan pace calculator by running exact same pace as 10K in Sept. Very Long version: So around Sept. 15, I looked at my fall running schedule and decided to run the Atlantic City Half Marathon as a training race. I poked around online and found out this marathon isn’t rated so great. I read the comments and can understand why it wouldn’t work for some. But, the only real negative to me, the crowds on the boardwalk, wouldn’t really be an issue for the half. Hmmmmm….. I’ve only raced a half once before, at WDW in Jan. 2007, and I didn’t like it one bit. Given that the A.C. half sounded exactly opposite of my WDW experience, I mentioned to my husband that this might really be the race for me. My biggest concern approaching race day was that I go out and overdo it, and not keep control of myself. I diligently wrote my split times on my wrist at 5 a.m. the morning of the race. I was having coffee and a little bit of shredded wheat. I also noted on my wrist when I was to fuel. I don’t think my body really needs much fuel during a 13.1 mi. run, but since I am not hydrating and eating as I would if I were at home, I’m learning I do need a bit of it while I’m racing. Got dressed in my white Nike long sleeved shirt, black tights, black running skirt and flip flops. Brought along my Nike Frees, socks, black fleece headband, throwaway gloves, and an old sweatshirt with a flap cut out of the front to show my race number. I was annoyed that the weather was so darn cold, low 40s, after having been up to 84 F earlier in the week. I had no idea if I was going to be cold or hot, but I figured it best to keep my legs and head warmest. My core doesn’t seem to need the layers (weird, I know!) Took off in the dark and picked up my cheering section of 1, and headed into A.C. Parked at Caesars for good luck, used their bathrooms, then headed to Boardwalk Hall for late packet pick up. Saw runners from around our town as soon as I walked in the door. We chit-chatted for a few minutes, and it turns out we were all running the half. Then I went to pick up my number. No signage so I got to stand in a couple lines before getting my stuff. (OK, signs would have been nice, but really they wanted us to pick up our packets yesterday…) We had to pin ribbons on our left shoulder to show which race we were running (marathon,half, 10K or 5K). This was simply for other runners to know what race you were in… Most folks stayed inside until 5 min. before the start. I put my shoes and socks on and went outside with everyone else. We lined up on the boardwalk – marathoners and halfers heading north, while the 10K and 5K people headed south. Simultaneous gun was fun as we watched the folks sprint off the start heading south, while the northbound folks slowly started our march into the wind. Mile 1 was on the boards with a planned 10 min pace. I nailed it! Whew. A couple runners were moaning about the wind, and hopeful that when we turned for the short west-bound leg of our race, it was going to be better. Living on a similarly shaped island 30 miles south, I said, “It’s likely to be worse.” The one guy teasingly said, “Oh aren’t you Ms. Optimistic.” I smiled and said, “Unfortunately, mark my words.” A couple others agreed with me. Few hundred yards later, we turned, ran down the off-ramp of the boardwalk and BAM – a wall of wind. People’s caps were flying off, folks were slowing to a crawl, and Ms. Optimistic just leaned into the wind and started chugging past a whole lot of runners. I figured any effort I’d expend on this less-than-a-mile leg of the race would be given back with the tailwind coming right back down the same street in the other direction. It worked. And really, the wind was not a factor at all after that point in the race. At that point I picked up a guy who was doing well into the wind too – He had a Boardwalk Runners green t shirt on (they are the hosts of the race). After the turn, I ditched my sweatshirt. I followed Mr. Green Shirt back to the boards and all the way down the boards to mi. 7 at roughly an 8:20 pace. I had planned for 9 min miles, but I wasn’t working hard at all, and figured I’d just deposit some reserve time in the bank and give it back in the end. I drank a slightly diluted 12 oz. of coconut water during miles 3-7. Felt right. I had miles 8 & 9 scheduled as my “rest” miles – slowing down my pace by :30. I slowed down for 1 mi to 8:45, and felt totally refreshed. Went through a water station and walked. Couldn’t run through it as it was too darn cold to spill any on me! But I had enough time “in the bank” to do so without getting mental. Shortly we were up on the boards and past mile 10. After my refresh mile, I was running around 8 min miles, and was still doing so after mile 10 but was getting a bit twingy in my sciatic area on one side and my ankle on the other. Doing the math, I was going to come in way beyond my wildest expectations, so I made myself slow down to a 10 min mile pace. Mostly. Occasionally, I would catch myself speeding up during the last 5K and would put the brakes on. Blush The sun came out that last half hour and my legs were melting in the tights. But my top felt great. The rest of the time, my top was a bit cool and my legs felt great, so I was dressed about as good as I could have been. Fuel for the second part of the race was a clif shot blok with caffeine at mi. 8, bit of peanut butter fudge at mi. 10 and bit of peanut butter fudge at mi 12. It seemed perfect. I could see the finish line and had some folks I met during the race catch up to me about ¼ mi out, and we all took off like shots together for the finish. After crossing the mat, they immediately shoved a medal and a baggie with a bagel and banana in one hand, and a bottle of water in another. My cheering section was taking pictures and she said I looked like I had just gone for a walk, not raced 13.1. I reminded her I didn’t race, but just laid down an official time during a training run. Wink I cleaned up in the public bathrooms on the boardwalk and we walked down to the Tropicana where we had lunch at the Cuban restaurant in there. Overall stats: 6 out of 54 for W40-49, 2 of out 4 racers from my island, and 150 out of 426 overall. I am most pleased that I kept my exact overall pace that I did at the 10K in September while running double the distance. And, I’m pleased that I generally kept my head and ran the run I had planned. I feell like now I generally know what I'm capable of doing, and can start to really "train" to improve my times and distances. Other thing of note – seashore runners sure do like candy to fuel for races! I had one guy lamenting he was out of Pixie Sticks in the last 5K of the half, some of our island racers use Swedish Fish to fuel, and I had my fudge. I guess modern sports fueling really hasn't hit the coast yet. LOL Thanks for reading!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

The Jogger

Hi nono! You are a bit of a speed queen. You did great and I loved your answer to Mr I know it all and take off into the wind. You places are amazing and it sounds like you are on for an excellent pr. Did I miss the time you done it in I'm guessing about 1:49ish juding by the various 8 ish pace. Well done Roy

Renee the dog

OMG forgot that part-- 1:54:57. I really took my time on the last 5K. I guess I still don't think it is real -- my goal was a 2:00:00. Smile

The Jogger

Excellent time that would give me a 14 min pr, I wish. Well Done Again Roy
          evanflein

Yeah, I was wondering what the final time was. Good job, Nonoruns! But I must say... coconut milk? That's a new one for me. I can see the fudge, wow what a boost that would give! Not much for electrolytes though... That was a nice run, whether you treat it as a race or not.

Renee the dog

Evenflein, not the thick coconut milk, but coconut water -- the "juice" from inside a young, green coconut. From wikipedia: Coconut water...is also marketed as a sports drink because of its high potassium and mineral content. I have no idea what the mineral content is and how it stacks up against real sports drinks, I just really like the taste. Smile

Nono!!! Awesome training Wink run you had there. That is pretty much my "dream" half time goal. Just give me a couple more years to work on it. Interesting fueling choices... Interesting pacing strategy, you really did something right to run a half at 10K speed. I think 40's would be better than 84F, don't you? I guess that other runner was eating his words and some wind. Congratulations!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

DickyG

What a terrific race, NoNo...6th in age group, top third overall...sub-9 pace...you are really getting good in your old age...congrats on a suberb race! DickyG
                    OK, so your goal was to run 10 minute miles (a 2:10+ end time), you hit head winds, run some 8s and finish at 1:54 Shocked? Whoa. Are you sure you know what you're capable of? Seriously, that was some nifty footwork there, islandgirl. Keep us posted on your plans and next races. You're going to be fun to follow. Congrats! I like the tip about just cutting a hole in the sweatshirt for the number. (I was wondering what happens to the little shoulder ribbons if you just ditch your shirt......do youhave to stop and re-pin Confused) I bet the Cuban meal was good. (Not many good ethnic restaurants here in the heartland. I found Cuban restaurants when I was in Georgia and then in Tampa that were both memorable.) grins, A
                    Masters 2000 miles
                    stumpy77

Trails are hard!

For a training run, that sure looks like a race!! What are you ready to do when you actually race? top 10% in AG is really great, too. Along with a 30 Shocked minute Shocked PR Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

nowor

Great run and Sweet report! Guess the guy w/ fudge samples is gone but you were prepared! Loved how you monitored your speed AND listened to your body (except the feet.) You are truly going places!
                          Nono, you rock!!! What a greta race you ran. Big grin I was thinking of you yesterday as I was clawing my way north on the Ocean City boardwalk in the early afternoon. That wind was whipping! I ended up doing most of my run on the east-west numbered streets, but since my "training run" really was just that, I was able to select my own course. Some cool race pics online in the Press of Atlantic City today. Any chance that you recognize yourself in any of them? Neat story about the guy who had a heart transplant several years ago and walks the AC marathon every year, too. Congrats!! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Renee the dog

OK, so your goal was to run 10 minute miles (a 2:10+ end time), you hit head winds, run some 8s and finish at 1:54 Shocked? Whoa. Are you sure you know what you're capable of? Seriously, that was some nifty footwork there, islandgirl. Keep us posted on your plans and next races. You're going to be fun to follow. Congrats! I like the tip about just cutting a hole in the sweatshirt for the number. (I was wondering what happens to the little shoulder ribbons if you just ditch your shirt......do youhave to stop and re-pin Confused) I bet the Cuban meal was good. (Not many good ethnic restaurants here in the heartland. I found Cuban restaurants when I was in Georgia and then in Tampa that were both memorable.) grins, A
                            Aamos, Yes, my "This will be a worthwhile training run" goal was 10 min miles. My Delighted goal was 2:00:00. I figured that out to be 1 10 min mi, 6 9 min mi, 2 9:30 min miles, and finishing up the rest after mi 9 at a 9 min mi pace. That was if my body could sustain me. I was feeling strong going in, so I was pretty sure I could hit the 2:00:00, but was unsure about my ankle. And, no I have NO idea what I'm capable of, but I feel like I have a better idea today. Big grin I guess my non-traditional training plan is doing OK, as it will have to do until my husband gets a job where he's not traveling. I just pinned my yellow ribbon on my underneath shirt, as I was sure I'd ditch the sweatshirt as it is really heavy (even with a flap on the front missing!). Cuban sandwich and plantains were very very good afterwards. So were the two rum drinks. Cool

Renee the dog

Nono!!! Awesome training Wink run you had there. That is pretty much my "dream" half time goal. Just give me a couple more years to work on it. Interesting fueling choices... Interesting pacing strategy, you really did something right to run a half at 10K speed. I think 40's would be better than 84F, don't you? I guess that other runner was eating his words and some wind. Congratulations!!
                              Enke, You'll get there. Come visit me in the flatlands and run a race or two! As for temps, I think it's just 'cause none of us really knew how to dress. All of us trained in singlets and shorts, right up to the end, so there was a wide variety of outfits out there. I love racing and running in the heat -- no question about what to wear. Big grin I never did see that guy again, but I don't think he was being snarky. I think he's one of those folks who doesn't mind when folks yell at the halfway point in a race, "You're almost there!"

Top 'O the World!

Awesome! Well done! & great read! I'll have to try coconut water & fudge next time Wink sounds much more appetizing than Gatorade & GU! Tongue
                                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group