Masters Running

Let us run with OrangeMat her first marathon! (Read 548 times)

Mariposai

Our precious OrangeMat will be running her first official marathon this weekend, shall we keep her company by running a cyberspace mile with her?

Ok, this is how the game will go:

1: Choose the mile you will run with her- from 1 to 26 ohh and let us not forget the .2 Big grin.

2. Give her your advice for marathon day, or the day before, or the day after.

3: Tell her in a short paragraph your memory of your first marathon.

OrangeMat, we celebrate with you this big adventure!!!

And remember, there is only one FIRST, enjoy!!!!

This is the table with the miles taken so far. Wink (thanks twocat for your help). Remeber, more than one runner can run with her at any given mile. 

Mile  By who
    1 henrun, Everyday
    2 Tomwhite
    3 Mrrun
    4  TammyinGP
    5 Slow-Hand
    6  WoodsLady
    7  Dove, Mariposai
    8  CNYrunner, C_R
    9  Dave59, Stumpy
    10 Breger, Tetsujin
    11                     Enkephalen
    12 Tselbs                                             
    13  Tramps, Hopeful4ever
    14  Pfriese
    15 Wildchild, SkipAZ
    16 C_R, Ilenforward
    17  Avenger Doggie, Buehrle
    18 SteveP, Divechief
    19 Holly
    20  Jdmom3
    21  MilkTruck
    22 MikE
    23 Jlynne
    24  Joe
    25 Coastwalker, Opie
    26 twocat, fatozzig, deez4boys
    .2   fatozzig, deez4boys

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Esther, I will take mile #19.  I find that to be a tough mile in a marathon distance, because I have come so far, but still have a long way to go.  Remember when you get to that point, if you're tired and your feet hurt, that your body will go on MUCH FARTHER than you think it can - trust in this. 

Advice - drink a lot of water the day before, and when you get up, several hours before the race start, drink a lot of water again.  However, if you are like me, and have a small bladder, stop drinking an hour before the race, to allow time to get rid of the excess (or you will make a lot of potty stops).

My first marathon I ran almost the entire race with a gentleman I met who had about the same pace.  He had run many marathons and ultras, and we passed the time chatting pleasantly - this reallly helped me get through the race.  So, for this first marathon, smile, get to know a runner or two,share your experiences and miles, KNOW THAT YOU CAN DO THIS!

Then come back and tell us about it.   Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Our precious OrangeMat will be running her first official marathon this weekend, shall we keep her company by running a cyberspace mile with her?

That's just goofy...

sorry...

Double knot your laces...except for Tet

Mile 18

Every step counts

SteveP

...since I'm only good

for about 20minutes

I'll take Mile #2

........advise//........Grease up anything Now you think may need it Later......

Enjoy the Run

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I'll take Mile 10.  If I recall correctly that is the mile that goes through Cinderella's Castle.  Smile on the way out of it since they usually position a Photographer there.

My first Marathon was Disney also, in 2007.  Loved it.  The biggest hint I can give is between about miles 13 and 19 or so is a fairly long stretch of nothing really, except road and other runners.  No parks, no hotels, not much.  So during this section get into your inner Pace Groove and just cruise.

You Go Girl!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

C-R

I'll take mile 16 since it gets you to Animal Kingdom (possibly the narrowest part of the park runs) but cool to see Everest looming over the course.

Take several layers of toss away clothing for the wait in the holding area and corrals prior to the start.

My first marathon was Honolulu many moons past. The biggest lesson learned was don't start too fast in the rush of the beginning. You will need that energy later in the run. Oh and the start at Disney is very much an adrenaline rush. The strangest thing I saw at my first marathon was a person stopping mid run for a smoke break and runners in black dress socks and brand spanking new shoes.

Good luck. You'll do well and we will see you in Deutshland fur ein bier.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Slo

I will run Mile 5 with you.

I picked Mile 5 because for me this is where I do my first evaluation. Too fast, Too Slow, or right where I want to be. There's still lots of excitment at Mile 5. It comes up quick, lots of chatting going on all around you. The mass of bodies has started to spread out so you're no longer right on someones elses heal or trying to find a lane to sneak around someone.

So, how do you feel? You're doing it! You're actually running your 1st (sanctioned) Marathon. Congrats...Show your smile!

Memory from my 1st

I had no idea what I was doing in my first marathon. I had no idea how to train, what pace I should run, when to drink, when to eat gu. I made it to mile 18 and thought...Okay, not so bad. Only 8 more to go. Mile 19 I was walking.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I'll take Mile 13 .... simply because that is when I was thinking "this isn't so bad .... only 13 to go"  AND that is when DG popped out of the crowd to cheer me on!!  Big grin

Mostly - just have fun!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

coastwalker

I'll take mile 25. Although I'd be (race)walking through mile 25, I'd be moving pretty quick to keep you on pace. At that point, you'll have your eye on the prize and will be starting to gather up some steam for a glorious finish!

My advice for after the race is to keep moving, keep walking, do some stretching, etc. You'll want to just sit or lie down, but you need to help prevent your tired muscles from stiffening up as much as you can. And while you're walking and stretching, you can bask in the glow of what you've just accomplished!

In '96, my name got pulled in the lottery for the 100th Boston Marathon. I had never run a marathon before, so Boston was my first! You bet I was terrified. But I put in the miles, and was ready on that April day. What a remarkable race it was, from the bus ride from Copley Square, to the great satisfaction and relief of crossing the finish line. There is so much from that race that I remember, including that the long downhill at the start burned my quads and helped turn them to rocks by Heartbreak Hill. And I remember walking for a bit after Heartbreak, and a stranger running into the street, putting his arm around my shoulder, quietly saying "You can do this!" and then disappearing back onto the sidewalk. Now I volunteer at Boston every year so I can help try to make it as magical an experience for someone else.

Have a blast!!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Jlynne

Mile 23 seems like a good mile to take. Hopefully Esther will be in her "cruise to the finish" mode and will do the last 3.2 with a big smile on her face.

I've only done 1 marathon. The hard work is behind you now. Savor this first marathon experience because you can never have it again. When that flood of emotions hits you as you cross the finish line, let it out. Cry, laugh, whatever. YOU DID IT!!! Go OM, go!!

wildchild

Carolyn

Well, Byll says there's not much going on from miles 13-19, so I'll run mile 15 with you to keep you company.  No advice to offer - I'll be looking for YOUR advice when I run my first marathon - probably in May.  Looking forward to your RR!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Henrun

I'll take mile 1.

I remember the start of my first marathon. It was Boston in 1976. I ran with a medical group (got a number though them-just started running 2 years before that). As I surveyed the crowd in front of me a surge of excitement and awe went right through me. The first mile is downhill and, although you have to weave your way through the crowd (there were no chips then) it was a thrill.

I hope you have that same sense of excitement as you start. Go get 'em.

Mike E

MM #5615

Boy--I guess I'd better jump in here, before they're all gone.  Okay--I'll take mile 22.  When I get to mile 22 I know that will finish because I can walk the remaining 4.2 miles if I have to.  I know this, because I have.  It's also the point in the race where being mentally tough is more important than being physically tough.  And that's where you will shine!  With all that you have gone through--and the way that you have dealt with it all--there is no doubt in my mind that you have the mental toughness to finish this thing.  So--I always tell myself--"Just get to mile 22."

I also make up little chants for every mile.  Like "Mile 21 and having fun!" or  "Mile 22 and almost through!"  or "Look at me I'm at mile 23!"  or "Mile 24--there ain't much more!"  Okay--kind of dumb but it works for me.

I do remember at the start of my first one, I had positioned myself way back in the pack and I worked very hard to get around people.  Jumping up and down curbs--going from one side of the street to the other--speeding up to get get through an opening between people, etc.  Don't do that!  save your energy! 

My first marathon was very special--like all first marathons are.  You only get one.  Enjoy it!

Okay--I guess that's it.  GOOD LUCK!  HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like mile 20 is still open so I'll take that one.  At that point, you have only a 10k to go and it's where the marathon really starts.  As they say, anyone can run 20 miles, but not anyone can finish a marathon.  If you've put in the work, however, you will be fine and finish well!

My advice would be for the day before.  Take it easy, drink lots of water (as Holly mentioned) and stay off your feet.  Don't spend a bunch of time wandering around the expo or walking around the parks.  Lie down in your hotel room and watch TV, eat a good carb laden easy to digest dinner and go to bed early! 

My first marathon was in 1989 - Marine Corps.  I had no idea what to expect from a marathon and made the usual rookie mistake of going out too fast and paying for it in the final miles.  I distinctly recall the bodies littering the side of the road past the 20 mile mark.  Although I suffered, I still reached my goal of breaking 3 hours and I think I finished as the 5th woman and first Virginia woman.  I still have the trophy.  Don't ask me why I dropped running competitively after that - I have no clue!!  I think it was the post-marathon blues.  Beware of those too OM.

Once a runner . . .

Tramps

Looks like 13 is open...I'll take that one.  Halfway there!

My two step advice:

1.  Relax

2.  Just run.

Be safe. Be kind.