Masters Running

Friday, May 16th ...........Daily running thread (Read 491 times)

Good running/tapering/biking going on this morning. SR.....no question flying can be frustrating.....especially when as a traveller you can SEE that there is no hope whatsoever to make work what they are trying to pull off. The same routes CONSISTENTLY are problems and they don't change it. I am trying to figure out a caption for that cute puppy picture of Mary's. Something like......"OK everyone, spread out, give yourself some space and we will start when the music begins"
    Vista
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Jeanne, good luck at the half! My husband is from Madison, so he will be jealous. We have a cheesehead somewhere in the house. I took two days off after my long run on Tuesday. My running partner and I ran 5.1 miles this morning, including a couple of LONG hills. I'm happy they're getting easier! After that, we went to our stretching/strength class at the Y. Good luck to all those racing this weekend!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Hello, Been working too hard to read or post! Did manage another road to heaven run. 7 miles with 400 ft climb in mile 2. 8:44 pace overall No Garmin this time (raining), just ran and it took only 7 seconds longer than the same run on Tuesday! Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

King of PhotoShop

3.5 slow on the dirt. Just 4+ tomorrow for my 30. Taking Prime Rib out to lunch in a few minutes, then this afternoon....!!!! Spareribs
          Mariposai

, and today of course is Dog Day Afternoon. Great photo Mary. Spareribs
            Enjoy your Dog Day and Dog Life my friend. I hope you post some pictures of the happy dog and his happy new family.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Teresa - I didn't know your husband was from Madison! Did he ever do the Crazy Legs Race? That one starts at the state capitol and finishes on the 50 yard line of Camp Randal Stadium. The race is held in conjunction with the university's spring football game. It's crazy running past all the fraternity houses with the guys drinking out of beer bongs at 10:00 AM in the morning. Spareribs - good luck with the puppy pickup this afternoon. We'll need pictures! Jeanne
                An hour just now 20 minutes ez, 20 minutes at MP (did 5.2K) then 20 ez.. starting to feel a bit better but was tired out there. heat was getting to me..hoping for cool day on marathon day. Out for dinner tonight at L's sister. Took rest of afternoon off preparing for long weekend. Take care my frineds. I resisted the urge to run a race this week...it's a taper week..silly me. Collecting on my coffee bet on Tuesday morning from my coach. I actually am looking forward to speaking with him as it will help my taper madness. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Marathon Maniac #957

I am trying to figure out a caption for that cute puppy picture of Mary's. Something like......"OK everyone, spread out, give yourself some space and we will start when the music begins"
                  Big grin Big grin Or “Okay, fellas, I dropped my contact somewhere right about here...”

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hopeful, that picture is TOO CUTE!! Good luck Ribs, I think we are getting my daughter a kitten for her birthday, she knows about it though. She really puts me through an emotional ringer sometimes. One minute sweet and loving, the other screaming at me at the bus stop because I don't have a bandaid for her non-booboo. And not just screaming, but trying to hit me as hard as she can....6 years old in a couple weeks.....when is she going to mellow out? Sigh. 3.11 miles @ 10:43 pace. I even took a break after two miles because it was getting hot. I wore my new running skirt...it is pretty neat. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 90F now! Holy moly.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks for the warning enke! Saturday, May 17, 2008 88° F | 50° F 31° C | 10° C four morning cycling miles in annual bike-to-work day so nice already that couldn't resist one mile waterfront run too. ps - bare bones - it's about time a dog like you got a real dog. ps - enke, thnax for the heat wave warnings. Somehow it still sounds better than the 38 degree rain/sleet and winds of winter-time events. Based on other all day events when temps reached into the eighties and higher, my guess is franci and I'll be drinking more than five or six gallons of water in the allotted 12 hours. In fact, I'm aiming at at least two gallons today along with half gallon of clam juice and oyster ramen to bolster mineral countermeasures to cramping. Your tomorrow morning's trail run will probably be mostly in the shade but will still be warm enough in the sixties to warrant lots of hydration, starting today and tomorrow morning until an hour before start (with quick cup of water/sports drink just before walking down to start). If you can, salty foods today and tomorrow morning (or electrolyte capsules or fast food salt packets), might help against cramps that sometimes result in the hilly parts. (oh, I forgot, it's all hilly except for the last half mile). Except for short stretches of gravel roads, it's all in the shade so do not wear sunglasses especially as the flashing tree-shade/bright-sun contrast on the trail wrecks havoc with the pupils trying to see roots, rocks, and other erratics. The usual route goes up an old gravel military road with a left turn into the woods after about one-third mile. Be sure to get as many slower runners behind you as possible by then as the single-file trail is way too narrow for passing unless someone steps off to the side. Smile though for the photog when you come out of the woods and turn right onto a short stretch of road again. Don't stop at the water table a little ways up on the other side; just grab a cup of water or whatever they have, pinch it and drink while walking up the trail into the woods again. Field will be thinned out so passing after that is more possible. Have fun. Except for having something else on the agenda, I'd be there again this year too. Maybe you'll see dive chief helping out at the aid station as he did in 2005.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tet - you are wonderful. I think I learned my lesson and am going to hydrate a plenty before the race even if this means taking an embarrassing jaunt off into the woods just before the start to de-hydrate. I did the route last weekend, walking only, so I know that Lost Beagle trail is not as cute as it sounds and is entirely up up up. The opening Clay Pit road is 0.6 miles long before single track, but still not enough time to thin out the pack. I won't care a bit if I get stuck behind slower runners, hard to imagine anyway with my leisurely putt putt pace. I intend to bring along my handheld water bottle even though it is only a 5 mile race. I will probably be thirsty after 20 minutes! Next race is June 14, 7 miles, incase you are available then. Smile I hope you the best tomorrow. I can't even go for walks in 90F without feeling miserable.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

No running for me today, and no more looking at the weather forecast for tomorrow either..I promise!!! It is going to be hot... a few degrees more or less won't make much difference at this point! Tet, I've already got all my gear ready, no need for the flashlight tomorrow, but I've got extras of everything else.. I figure the first couple of hours will be OK, then heat and fatigue will start hitting at the same time..but still,.. better that than running in freezing rain and mud.. Have a great day all of you out there !!! Francesca
                            Maybe salt your food a bit more too Enke...balance out the hydration. Karin
                            Mariposai

Goo luck weekend racers!!!!!!!!! Take care enkie, francesca and tet...drink...drink...drink. Shocked Currently: 88°F 90°F | 59°F 15 minutes in the bike going no-where 20 planks 150 crunches some weights for the flabby arms theraband for the legs. Good enough for a short XT day.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

gracias mari. I've already started heavy drinking and am planning to up the walk ratio right away too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)