Masters Running

Fri April 25 Runs and Workouts (Read 468 times)

Ok, today I won't get into trouble for posting because I actually did run Smile I meant to do an easy 4 miler. I really did. But I guess I went faster than I should have. My legs (obviously) are less tired than they were the other day, so there you go (whatever that means). Workout: 3.1 miles, 8:18/mi, AHR 153 Overall: 4.1 miles, 34:01 Have a great day, a great weekend, and go racers!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Welcome back to the predawn roads Lou. 4.3 easy miles at 9:40 min/mile pace for me today. Our temps. are starting to inch up down here. I'll probably only get another 3 weeks or so of half-way decent weather before our rainy seasons kicks in. Runners down here always complain among themselves about having to train in the H&H for the Fall marathons - Chicago, NYC, Hartford, and all the others. It has been rather nice training for this Spring marathon in better running weather over the Winter months. But part of me thinks that persisting in the Summer has to pay dividends in the long run, but it is tough to do. Everyone have a Great Day! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

That first post-marathon run is always the toughest - yet you kept a good pace - nice one Lou! I guess I'll post my run from yesterday afternoon - 8 sunny miles through the Borough of Stonington, CT. There's a cool footbridge over the Amtrak rails that adds to the adventure of the run. There's also the smell of the fishing fleet to keep you moving. Nice.
          Good Morning, Four untimed miles for me at 6 AM. The weather has been spectacular all week and today did not disappoint. 40F and bright sunshine as I trotted around a neighborhood loop. School break week rarely lines up with days like these and it's been so nice. The quad soreness is all but gone and I felt pretty good. My arms were also sore after Boston and they felt fine today as well. Today's schedule also includes a hike up Mt. Tom in Easthampton (just down the road) with the family and lunch at "The Rapids" near where all the canoe races are held. It's an REI/LL Bean photo shoot kind of day! Good Luck with the house closing and all Holly. Great to see you here PBJ Happy Friday Karin

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice one Lou! Good Taper Bill. PBJ nice to see ya posting early! 4 Magical Healing Miles in 39:34 (9:55 pace) slow dog and upset stomach kept pace nice and easy. Legs felt pretty good. Almost there!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Goos Morning! Thanks CNY... PBJ - 8 miles? Looking good! Not a doggong thing to report in the way of exercise for me today, since I spent my time trying to write a RR. Smile Half day at work, then we close on both houses this afternoon. Whew! Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

PJH

First recovery run since Monday - 3.25 mi ...33:30 ...10:19 pace ...128 hr. Quads & hams still sore from Monday, so they must have been beat up pretty bad. Wish I had this HR the other day though. Nice to see everyone's recovering well. Have a great day! PJ
                dg.

drumming fingers, tapping foot. impatient sigh. I'm waiting for some mortals to post so I can post my run. Wink so nice to read you are all doing well. Smile
                  Dave59

I'm not running today, but something shocking happened to me this morning that I need to share. I have been eating breakfast with some guys on Friday at this one restaurant for a number of years. We have become good friends with one of the waitresses there. In fact, one of the guys hired her son to work at his business. Last week, a woman at church took my daughter to lunch and they went to that same restaurant. I told my daughter to make sure and say hello to that particular waitress. I knew she would get a kick out of seeing my daughter and granddaughter in person. So, today at breakfast she was telling about seeing my daughter and granddaughter and how nice it was to meet my wife. Shocked The woman who took my daughter to lunch, who was mistaken as my wife is actually in her 80's. I now ask myself do I truly look like an 80 year old man???? And my "friends" were laughing so hard that with any luck they will pull a stomach muscle. Anyway, that is my start to the day. (Is PBJ any relation to PJH?)

I'm waiting for some mortals to post so I can post my run. Wink
                      OK, Deb, I'll go... Today was supposed to be my traditional first OU golf course run of the year, but I woke at 5:30 to the sound of a downpour and scotched the idea. But then as soon as I actually rolled out of bed, the rain quit, and by the time I was driving onto the campus the sky looked like it was clearing. So I made it out after all, although alone for the first time in many years. The rain had soaked in well and it felt good to run on a soft surface again. Even my old friends in the deer herd were waiting for me in their usual spot at the top of the 13th hole. I'm not sure why they ran away, though. Smile I took the shorter option of 3.5 miles and did it at a 10:30 pace. It's pretty much constant hills, and they reminded me that things are not 100% healed up yet. But at least no apparent after-effects even though I felt slightly sore while running. But progress is progress, and the first few runs on this course are always tiring in the best of times. Much cooler here this weekend and next week. I hope conditions stay good for all of you!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

PBJ - That's nota my dog! Wink That is a funny story Dave. I'm sure your friends won't let you live it down!! I had a similar thing happen when I had lunch with my father-in-law once - the waitress assumed I was his wife!! Surprised I figured it was because he looks SO young!! Wow - 1 1/4 hours with a personal trainer this morning. My arms are so rubbery I can hardley type! We created a circuit that I can do at home, and then a circuit that I can do when I go to the gym. First we tested my Max. Heart Rate and have pegged it at 181. I think I need a nap before going to work . . . . TGIF! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Just had to make another post to add some comments. Dave: Funny story! But if the waitress is pretty young, I think that everyone over 50 looks about the same age to her. Anyway, you must be old if you've got a granddaughter, but I'm 61 and my son is just getting out of college. Mary: What is going on here? You're strength training with a personal trainer, and then marathon training has got to start in a month or two. You've really caught the bug from hanging around here too much. Wink A story of my own: Since my DW now has her new car, I was facing the hassle of selling our 2000 Olds Intrigue and decided to start out by giving craigslist a try. So I posted an ad at about 5PM yesterday. At 5:30 I got a phone call from an enthusiastic-sounding young woman. She was at our place at 7:30 and bought it at a fair price. That makes two cars and a motorcycle that I've sold easily via the Internet, but never quite that quickly!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

GreenMan

Hey folks, Yesterday, I did a recovery run with a 200m final sprint thown in to get the juices flowing with a half mile cooldown and walk home. I'm packing camping gear, and headed up to Vista's neck of the woods for a 50k trail run starting at Promise Land youth camp near Bedford, VA. Weather will be very warm, 50% chance of T-storms. Big grin I got my(a) Garmin back from repair, but I'm just gonna use a watch. This race is the second of a series. The last is a 50M race this fall with a 12 hr cutoff. Goals: 1. Finish 2. Make the official 10hr cutoff. 3. Be able to drive home at the end. 4. sub 9:15 Enjoy Spring, jjj
                            Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                            dg.

thanks Doug! good job, esp. on hills. I just started walking the neighborhood hills last week, & was surprised how hard it still was. hope you have no ill effects. I don't know how long your drive is & whether this would be worth the trouble, but I've been taking an ice pack with me to the gym & I ice on the way home. I think it's really been helping. Dave59, funny. I read that a few minutes ago & was going to point out that youravatar didn't look anything close to 80. Cool. I must have been away from the pc longer than I thought.... Mary, wow! you are doing so much. Cool you're getting things tested... was it you that had your body composition tested a few days ago? that's on my list... was going to do it on my birthday but asked after my run & he said it's better before... so now my benchmark motivation is past, & I'm waiting till I'm happier with what the scale says. chicken. btw, I can't imagine yours was bad! of course, if it wasn't you, little of this applies. does your gym also do a fitness test? Welcome, mgerwien! my total was 4.24 miles, running was 2.88 though I'd thought it was more. I need to brush up on some of the polar view functions when you're doing laps. (i've only had it for a year Roll eyes ) Average pace was 11:15, ahr, was either 167 or 171. which is awful but it is what it is. i'm not unhappy with the pace, all things considered. the hr is the thing holding me back the most right now, maybe that's good for the hamstrings. my 'schedule' is more or less running till I can't keep from drifting up way too high no matter how slow I go. Doug, I'm borrowing your healthy attitude.. it's amazing how much happier I am being able to run to any extent. have a good weekend everybody.
                                Easy 4 mile lope around Lynden this morning...Very tired as I attended a School Board meeting last night and didn't get home till after 11:00...The alarm clock seemed a little more obnoxious today...
                                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip